Jim Lane

Default Molcajete dishes

There seems to be an increase in the number of restaurants in the San
Diego area offering dishes served in blazing hot molcajetes. I first
experienced these in Guadalajara and thought they were very interesting,
although, in a restaurant setting, a bit "dangerous" as were oil fondues
back in the 50s-60s.

Are these popping up elsewhere?

jim

Irma

On Wed, 12 May 2004 11:40:47 -0700, Jim Lane wrote:

> There seems to be an increase in the number of restaurants in the San
> Diego area offering dishes served in blazing hot molcajetes. I first
> experienced these in Guadalajara and thought they were very interesting,
> although, in a restaurant setting, a bit "dangerous" as were oil fondues
> back in the 50s-60s.
>
> Are these popping up elsewhere?
>

> jim

Is it a molcajete or casuela? I remember to have been in "Los Cazadores" in
Guadalajara looooong ago. I had some sort of fondues, but it was from
casuelas.

Irma.
Jim Lane

Irma wrote:
> On Wed, 12 May 2004 11:40:47 -0700, Jim Lane wrote:
>

>>There seems to be an increase in the number of restaurants in the San
>>Diego area offering dishes served in blazing hot molcajetes. I first
>>experienced these in Guadalajara and thought they were very interesting,
>>although, in a restaurant setting, a bit "dangerous" as were oil fondues
>>back in the 50s-60s.
>>
>>Are these popping up elsewhere?
>>

>>jim

> Is it a molcajete or casuela? I remember to have been in "Los Cazadores" in
> Guadalajara looooong ago. I had some sort of fondues, but it was from
> casuelas.
>
> Irma.

Molcajetes, just like the large one I have for making salsa. Volcanic
rock. The ones you refer to (cazuelas?) are clay-based if I recollect
correctly and guisados are served in them, among other things.

The menus here in SD that have these dishes also use "molcajete" in
either the name or description of the food.

jim
Irma

On Wed, 12 May 2004 17:02:51 -0700, Jim Lane wrote:

> Molcajetes, just like the large one I have for making salsa. Volcanic
> rock. The ones you refer to (cazuelas?) are clay-based if I recollect
> correctly and guisados are served in them, among other things.
>
> The menus here in SD that have these dishes also use "molcajete" in
> either the name or description of the food.

I got it now.... btw thanks for checking my Spanish :-)

Irma.
Shelora

Very intriguing. What sort of dishes are they serving in the hot molcajetes?

Irma > wrote in message >. ..
> On Wed, 12 May 2004 17:02:51 -0700, Jim Lane wrote:
>

> > Molcajetes, just like the large one I have for making salsa. Volcanic
> > rock. The ones you refer to (cazuelas?) are clay-based if I recollect
> > correctly and guisados are served in them, among other things.
> >
> > The menus here in SD that have these dishes also use "molcajete" in
> > either the name or description of the food.
> >

> I got it now.... btw thanks for checking my Spanish :-)
>
> Irma.

Jim Lane

Shelora wrote:
> Very intriguing. What sort of dishes are they serving in the hot molcajetes?

At Las Parrillas, it is a thick broth/gravy with meats (carne asada),
sausages (chorizo and longaneza), green onions and nopales. There may be
another molcajete dish, but cannot remember.

I didn't order the molcajete at Mariscos Marisol and did not pay
attention to it. Next time there, I'll note what is in it.

jim

Molcajete Roughrider50 Mexican Cooking 11 26-12-2007 07:36 PM
A Little More Regarding the Molcajete cocinero Mexican Cooking 6 04-03-2006 02:59 AM
Salsa de Molcajete pskov_recipe Mexican Cooking 2 05-02-2006 06:56 PM
Molcajete Curley Mexican Cooking 0 09-02-2004 10:21 PM
Molcajete Tejolote? Bruce Cooking Equipment 12 26-12-2003 06:31 AM