Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

Default A Little More Regarding the Molcajete

The “Molcajete” sometimes charmingly called the “licuadora azteca” or the
Aztec Blender has been used in Mexico for thousands of years and more
recently (the past 500 years) adapted to post Conquest Mexican kitchens
with importance equal to the “Metate”(which appears in various forms used
by several Meso-American
cultures.

The “Molcajete” is generally made of volcanic rock and even today it is
present in Mexican and Mexican American kitchens as an indispensable
implement for making classic Mexican cuisine.

The “Molcajete” is used to grind ingredients for cooked sauces and classic
fresh salsas. The use of the “Molcajete” with the “Tejolote” literally
tear food ingredients apart by the action of the “Tejolote” (held in the
hand) ground against the “Molcajete”(generally 3 legged carved rock
bowl).

There is significant difference in sauces and salsas made in a modern food
processor or blender as opposed to those made with “Molcajete” and
“Tejolote”. The texture cannot be duplicated with the modern devices and
some say the flavor is not quite the same as well (however a bit more
labor intensive to make).

Cocinero Gringo

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

"cocinero" <cocinero@no spam.charter.net> wrote in message
lkaboutcooking.com...
> The “Molcajete” sometimes charmingly called the “licuadora azteca” or the
> Aztec Blender has been used in Mexico for thousands of years and more
> recently (the past 500 years) adapted to post Conquest Mexican kitchens
> with importance equal to the “Metate”(which appears in various forms used
> by several Meso-American
> cultures.

< SNIP >

I's called a mortar and pestle in English. It is a common tool in almost
every culture in the world and has been, also, for many thousands of years.
It is still common in many homes of good cooks. It is indespensible for me
to grind Indian spices and for Italian needs, especially making pestos
(pesto means pestle).

Charlie

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

While food in these ancient devices can be ground, the "molcajete" is much
more that a mortar and pestle. Fresh foods (vegetables and chiles) are
actually torn apart by the rock against rock action and are literally
processed into a texture of choice by the user.

Cocinero Gringo

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

"cocinero" <cocinero@no spam.charter.net> wrote in message
lkaboutcooking.com...
> While food in these ancient devices can be ground, the "molcajete" is much
> more that a mortar and pestle. Fresh foods (vegetables and chiles) are
> actually torn apart by the rock against rock action and are literally
> processed into a texture of choice by the user.
>
> Cocinero Gringo

Same thing with other non-Mexican stone morar and pestles. Most stone
mortars and pestles (including molcajete) must be smoothed and sealed or the
diners will get a large amount of ground stone in their meals.

Charlie

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

Charles Gifford wrote:

> "cocinero" <cocinero@no spam.charter.net> wrote in message
> lkaboutcooking.com...
> > While food in these ancient devices can be ground, the "molcajete" is much
> > more that a mortar and pestle. Fresh foods (vegetables and chiles) are
> > actually torn apart by the rock against rock action and are literally
> > processed into a texture of choice by the user.
> >
> > Cocinero Gringo

> Same thing with other non-Mexican stone morar and pestles. Most stone
> mortars and pestles (including molcajete) must be smoothed and sealed or the
> diners will get a large amount of ground stone in their meals.
>
> Charlie

I've just started to read this newsgroup, so I hope/trust my response
isn't out of place. I believe the issue with this thread is more
related to the "material" of the "molcajete" when compared to typical
mortar/pestle combinations.

As I understand, a "molcajete" is typically made from somewhat course
(black?) volcanic rock (as already mentioned by the original poster),
which is quite a different material than fired ceramics, marble, or
other stone-like material, or plastic for this matter. The former
("molcajete") is significantly more porous (think "pumace stone") than
the other materials I mentioned --- an analogy I can think of is the
ratings of sandpaper -- a "molcajete" would be a very course sandpaper,
while the mortars/pestles are examples of "super fine" sandpaper (I hope
I make sense?).

And, due to the "porous" properties <G> and greater friction between
that "molcajete" and food ingredients, the "molcajete" provides a
different result (especially when one considers the "texture" of the
finished dish) than do mortar and pestles! At least this sounds logical
to me <G>. As alway, MWV (milage will vary).

Skyhooks, who shouldn't stay up so late!
"aahhtt"
a t t
""ddoott""
n e t

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

"Skyhooks" > wrote >
> I've just started to read this newsgroup, so I hope/trust my response
> isn't out of place.

Your responce certainly isn't out of place! Welcome to the newsgroup!

> I believe the issue with this thread is more
> related to the "material" of the "molcajete" when compared to typical
> mortar/pestle combinations.

In part that is true but not completely. Nevertheless, you make some good
points.

> As I understand, a "molcajete" is typically made from somewhat course
> (black?) volcanic rock (as already mentioned by the original poster),
> which is quite a different material than fired ceramics, marble, or
> other stone-like material, or plastic for this matter.

Yes, they are usually made from a light weight lava (there are several kinds
of lava) though they are also known to be made from other igneous stone
other than lava. The main one is granite.

Granite is probably the most widely used material for mortars. Other
materials comonly used in cooking are marble, wood and bronze. Some are made
from hard metamorphic rocks.

> The former
> ("molcajete") is significantly more porous (think "pumace stone") than
> the other materials I mentioned --- an analogy I can think of is the
> ratings of sandpaper -- a "molcajete" would be a very course sandpaper,
> while the mortars/pestles are examples of "super fine" sandpaper (I hope
> I make sense?).

Certainly you are making sense. You are also correct as far as I can see.
Your use of Pumace is very apt as it is also a light weight lava.

> And, due to the "porous" properties <G> and greater friction between
> that "molcajete" and food ingredients, the "molcajete" provides a
> different result (especially when one considers the "texture" of the
> finished dish) than do mortar and pestles!

Well, the molcajete IS a mortar and pestle but on the whole you are correct
in my opinion. However, rough textured surfaces do need to be smoothed and
sealed before they stop adding too much ground stone to the food being
prepared. As use continues the rough texture is evened out though never as
smooth as granite.

> At least this sounds logical
> to me <G>. As alway, MWV (milage will vary).
>
> Skyhooks, who shouldn't stay up so late!

Sounds good to me too. Again, welcome to a.f.m-c!

Charlie

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

Charles Gifford wrote:

> "Skyhooks" > wrote >
> > I've just started to read this newsgroup, so I hope/trust my response
> > isn't out of place.

> Your responce certainly isn't out of place! Welcome to the newsgroup!
>
> > I believe the issue with this thread is more
> > related to the "material" of the "molcajete" when compared to typical
> > mortar/pestle combinations.

> In part that is true but not completely. Nevertheless, you make some good
> points.
>
> > As I understand, a "molcajete" is typically made from somewhat course
> > (black?) volcanic rock (as already mentioned by the original poster),
> > which is quite a different material than fired ceramics, marble, or
> > other stone-like material, or plastic for this matter.

> Yes, they are usually made from a light weight lava (there are several kinds
> of lava) though they are also known to be made from other igneous stone
> other than lava. The main one is granite.
>
> Granite is probably the most widely used material for mortars. Other
> materials comonly used in cooking are marble, wood and bronze. Some are made
> from hard metamorphic rocks.
>
> > The former
> > ("molcajete") is significantly more porous (think "pumace stone") than
> > the other materials I mentioned --- an analogy I can think of is the
> > ratings of sandpaper -- a "molcajete" would be a very course sandpaper,
> > while the mortars/pestles are examples of "super fine" sandpaper (I hope
> > I make sense?).

> Certainly you are making sense. You are also correct as far as I can see.
> Your use of Pumace is very apt as it is also a light weight lava.
>
> > And, due to the "porous" properties <G> and greater friction between
> > that "molcajete" and food ingredients, the "molcajete" provides a
> > different result (especially when one considers the "texture" of the
> > finished dish) than do mortar and pestles!

> Well, the molcajete IS a mortar and pestle but on the whole you are correct
> in my opinion. However, rough textured surfaces do need to be smoothed and
> sealed before they stop adding too much ground stone to the food being
> prepared. As use continues the rough texture is evened out though never as
> smooth as granite.
>
> > At least this sounds logical
> > to me <G>. As alway, MWV (milage will vary).
> >
> > Skyhooks, who shouldn't stay up so late!

> Sounds good to me too. Again, welcome to a.f.m-c!
>
> Charlie

Thanks for the warm welcome

Sky

Molcajete Roughrider50 Mexican Cooking 11 26-12-2007 07:36 PM
Salsa de Molcajete pskov_recipe Mexican Cooking 2 05-02-2006 06:56 PM
Molcajete dishes Jim Lane Mexican Cooking 5 13-05-2004 05:03 PM
Molcajete Curley Mexican Cooking 0 09-02-2004 10:21 PM
Molcajete Tejolote? Bruce Cooking Equipment 12 26-12-2003 06:31 AM