Posted to rec.food.equipment

Default Can I use a food processor for cake batter?

I'm trying to avoid buying a stand mixer.

Posted to rec.food.equipment
Del Cecchi

> wrote in message
ups.com...
> I'm trying to avoid buying a stand mixer.

get a hand mixer. like 30 bucks.

Posted to rec.food.equipment

yeah I think that is the way to go.

Posted to rec.food.equipment
Vox Humana

> wrote in message
ups.com...
> I'm trying to avoid buying a stand mixer.

You can, but you have to be careful not to over mix. Once the flour is
added, you should only pulse a few time. You can only mix a standard sized
cake (8-9 inches). Your FP should come with a cookbook that illustrates how
to use it. A FP will not whip eggs for foam type cakes.

Posted to rec.food.equipment
Vox Humana

"Boron Elgar" > wrote in message
> On 4 Dec 2005 22:58:20 +0100, Wayne Boatwright
> > wrote:
>
> >On Sun 04 Dec 2005 02:39:09p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Ward

Abbott?

> A decent hand mixer can be had quite inexpensively and takes up little
> space.
> >>
> >> Each has their own purpose. If you try to mash potatoes in your food
> >> processor, you will immediately understand.
> >>
> >> I use my stand mixer much more than a food processor and use my food
> >> processor much more than my blender. But a stick blender has its own
> >> purpose too!

> >If you could only have one of those, which would it be?

> You'll have to pry each of them from my cold, dead hands.
>
> Well, ok...you can have the blender.
>
> Boron

I don't own a blender and haven't found a reason to buy one. I don't have a
hand-held mixer and can't see buying one. I would appreciate it if someone
gave me one, but I wouldn't buy one. I have an immersion blender that I only
use for soup and the occasional sauce. I could easily live without it, but
it takes up very little space and doesn't cost much. I use my FP every day
and would sorely miss it. I use my stand mixer about once a month. When
making large batches of cake batter or cookie dough, it is great but since
there are only two of us that seldom happens. I do use my pasta
roller/cutter attachment occasional and would have to have a pasta machine
if I didn't have the stand mixer with the attachment.

Posted to rec.food.equipment
Ward Abbott

On 4 Dec 2005 22:58:20 +0100, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

>If you could only have one of those, which would it be?

The biggest and best of a stand mixer...i.e. KA.. We both know that
we can slice and dice with the best Ziwilling knife. <vbg>

Whipping nine minutes for a fluffy meringue is beyond my butch
forearms.

Posted to rec.food.equipment
Wayne Boatwright

On Sun 04 Dec 2005 05:38:12p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Vox
Humana?

> "Boron Elgar" > wrote in message
>> On 4 Dec 2005 22:58:20 +0100, Wayne Boatwright
>> > wrote:
>>
>> >On Sun 04 Dec 2005 02:39:09p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Ward
>> >Abbott?

>> A decent hand mixer can be had quite inexpensively and takes up little
>> space.

>> >If you could only have one of those, which would it be?

>> You'll have to pry each of them from my cold, dead hands.
>>
>> Well, ok...you can have the blender.
>>
>> Boron

> I don't own a blender and haven't found a reason to buy one. I don't
> have a hand-held mixer and can't see buying one. I would appreciate it
> if someone gave me one, but I wouldn't buy one. I have an immersion
> blender that I only use for soup and the occasional sauce. I could
> easily live without it, but it takes up very little space and doesn't
> cost much. I use my FP every day and would sorely miss it. I use my
> stand mixer about once a month. When making large batches of cake
> batter or cookie dough, it is great but since there are only two of us
> that seldom happens. I do use my pasta roller/cutter attachment
> occasional and would have to have a pasta machine if I didn't have the
> stand mixer with the attachment.

I don't own an immersion blender and have never used one. I don't know how
much I'd use it. I do know that when I truly want to puree something, the
only thing that produces the results I want is a good food mill. Blades
just don't "cut" it, no pun intended. I have a stand mixer and two food
processors and would find it hard to part with any of them. My blender was
one of the first appliances I bought. I don't use it often, but don't
think there's a close substitute for its purpose.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Posted to rec.food.equipment
Vox Humana

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message

> I don't own an immersion blender and have never used one. I don't know

how
> much I'd use it. I do know that when I truly want to puree something, the
> only thing that produces the results I want is a good food mill. Blades
> just don't "cut" it, no pun intended. I have a stand mixer and two food
> processors and would find it hard to part with any of them. My blender

was
> one of the first appliances I bought. I don't use it often, but don't
> think there's a close substitute for its purpose.

I got a food mill a few years ago and I love it. Someone gave me a ricer,
and I use that for potatoes. I could use the FP or the food mill for soups,
but the immersion blender is much easier, faster, and creates less mess.

Posted to rec.food.equipment
Wayne Boatwright

On Mon 05 Dec 2005 08:48:13a, Vox Humana wrote in rec.food.equipment:

> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
>
>> I don't own an immersion blender and have never used one. I don't know
>> how much I'd use it. I do know that when I truly want to puree
>> something, the only thing that produces the results I want is a good
>> food mill. Blades just don't "cut" it, no pun intended. I have a stand
>> mixer and two food processors and would find it hard to part with any
>> of them. My blender was one of the first appliances I bought. I don't
>> use it often, but don't think there's a close substitute for its
>> purpose.

> I got a food mill a few years ago and I love it. Someone gave me a
> ricer, and I use that for potatoes. I could use the FP or the food mill
> for soups, but the immersion blender is much easier, faster, and creates
> less mess.

Does the immersion blender make as smooth a puree as a food mill?

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974
Posted to rec.food.equipment
Vox Humana

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
> On Mon 05 Dec 2005 08:48:13a, Vox Humana wrote in rec.food.equipment:
>

> > "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
> >
> >> I don't own an immersion blender and have never used one. I don't know
> >> how much I'd use it. I do know that when I truly want to puree
> >> something, the only thing that produces the results I want is a good
> >> food mill. Blades just don't "cut" it, no pun intended. I have a stand
> >> mixer and two food processors and would find it hard to part with any
> >> of them. My blender was one of the first appliances I bought. I don't
> >> use it often, but don't think there's a close substitute for its
> >> purpose.

> > I got a food mill a few years ago and I love it. Someone gave me a
> > ricer, and I use that for potatoes. I could use the FP or the food mill
> > for soups, but the immersion blender is much easier, faster, and creates
> > less mess.

> Does the immersion blender make as smooth a puree as a food mill?

The puree is smooth but it doesn't strain out fibrous substances. I don't
find that to be a problem, but it might be a consideration for a particular
application.

Posted to rec.food.equipment
Matthew L. Martin

Ward Abbott wrote:
> On 4 Dec 2005 22:58:20 +0100, Wayne Boatwright
> > wrote:
>

>>If you could only have one of those, which would it be?

> The biggest and best of a stand mixer...i.e. KA.. We both know that
> we can slice and dice with the best Ziwilling knife. <vbg>
>
> Whipping nine minutes for a fluffy meringue is beyond my butch
> forearms.

I used to be able to do that. Damn, getting old, fat and lazy is a bitch!

Matthew

--
What if you arrived at the fountain of youth, only to find dead toddlers
floating in the pond? -- John O on AFB

Posted to rec.food.equipment
Wayne Boatwright

On Mon 05 Dec 2005 02:14:59p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Vox
Humana?

> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message

>> > I got a food mill a few years ago and I love it. Someone gave me a
>> > ricer, and I use that for potatoes. I could use the FP or the food
>> > mill for soups, but the immersion blender is much easier, faster, and
>> > creates less mess.

>> Does the immersion blender make as smooth a puree as a food mill?

> The puree is smooth but it doesn't strain out fibrous substances. I
> don't find that to be a problem, but it might be a consideration for a
> particular application.

Ah, yes of course, that would be the difference. There are definitely some
applications where I would need the food mill, but otherwise the stick
blender would probably do and would certainly be quicker than the mill. I
may look into getting one.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Posted to rec.food.equipment
Wayne Boatwright

On Sun 04 Dec 2005 06:03:51p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Ward Abbott?

> On 4 Dec 2005 22:58:20 +0100, Wayne Boatwright
> > wrote:
>
>>If you could only have one of those, which would it be?

> The biggest and best of a stand mixer...i.e. KA.. We both know that
> we can slice and dice with the best Ziwilling knife. <vbg>
>
> Whipping nine minutes for a fluffy meringue is beyond my butch
> forearms.

And mine, too! Besides, why waste the energy and time when you could be
doing another step while the KA is beating the hell out of the whites.

I do use a large bowl and balloon for zabaglione.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Posted to rec.food.equipment
Wayne Boatwright

On Mon 05 Dec 2005 04:58:48p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Matthew L.
Martin?

> Ward Abbott wrote:
>> On 4 Dec 2005 22:58:20 +0100, Wayne Boatwright
>> > wrote:
>>

>>>If you could only have one of those, which would it be?

>> The biggest and best of a stand mixer...i.e. KA.. We both know that
>> we can slice and dice with the best Ziwilling knife. <vbg>
>>
>> Whipping nine minutes for a fluffy meringue is beyond my butch
>> forearms.

> I used to be able to do that. Damn, getting old, fat and lazy is a bitch!
>
> Matthew

LOL! I wasn't always old or fat, but I admit to always having been lazy.
:-) I'll take the easy way out every time if the results are satisfactory.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Posted to rec.food.equipment
S Viemeister

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> Ah, yes of course, that would be the difference. There are definitely some
> applications where I would need the food mill, but otherwise the stick
> blender would probably do and would certainly be quicker than the mill. I
> may look into getting one.

Some of them come with a chopper attachment (like a mini-processor) which I
thought looked silly, and never expected to find a use for. But - it works
really well for chopping garlic and parsley, and is excellent for small
amounts of breadcrumbs or nuts. For small amounts of garlic, etc., I still
use a knife, but the little chopper is very good when doing large amounts.
Mine also has a whisk attachment, which gets a fair amount of use -
whipping cream or eggwhites, and frothing up hot chocolate. I can't
remember the last time I used my standard blender (actually, I can't even
remember where I stored it!).

Sheila