Posted to rec.food.baking

Default Layer Cake batter Question

Suppose I mix a traditional layer cake batter with baking powder and put it
in the fridge. How long can I keep it in the fridge before bringing it to
room temp and baking it without the taste being diminished? 12 hours? 24
hours? How about 48 hours? thanks in advance.
Frank

Posted to rec.food.baking

On Jul 5, 10:44 am, "Frank103" > wrote:
> Suppose I mix a traditional layer cake batter with baking powder and put it
> in the fridge. How long can I keep it in the fridge before bringing it to
> room temp and baking it without the taste being diminished? 12 hours? 24
> hours? How about 48 hours? thanks in advance.
> Frank

I'm thinking not long at all- the baking powder will dissapate once
it's mixed with liquid. How about mixing all your dry ingredients
together ahead of time, and adding wet ones right before baking?

Posted to rec.food.baking

On Jul 6, 3:10 am, Merryb > wrote:
> On Jul 5, 10:44 am, "Frank103" > wrote:
>
> > Suppose I mix a traditional layer cake batter with baking powder and put it
> > in the fridge. How long can I keep it in the fridge before bringing it to
> > room temp and baking it without the taste being diminished? 12 hours? 24
> > hours? How about 48 hours? thanks in advance.
> > Frank

> I'm thinking not long at all- the baking powder will dissapate once
> it's mixed with liquid. How about mixing all your dry ingredients
> together ahead of time, and adding wet ones right before baking?

If you are using a good double acting baking powder you can keep the
batter in the baking pan at temperatures around 5 deg C for a few
days to a week and then you bake it directly in the hot oven.

Posted to rec.food.baking

Really? I've never done that, so I have no experience.

Posted to rec.food.baking

"chembake" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> On Jul 6, 3:10 am, Merryb > wrote:
>> On Jul 5, 10:44 am, "Frank103" > wrote:
>>
>> > Suppose I mix a traditional layer cake batter with baking powder and
>> > put it
>> > in the fridge. How long can I keep it in the fridge before bringing it
>> > room temp and baking it without the taste being diminished? 12 hours?
>> > 24
>> > hours? How about 48 hours? thanks in advance.
>> > Frank

>> I'm thinking not long at all- the baking powder will dissapate once
>> it's mixed with liquid. How about mixing all your dry ingredients
>> together ahead of time, and adding wet ones right before baking?

> If you are using a good double acting baking powder you can keep the
> batter in the baking pan at temperatures around 5 deg C for a few
> days to a week and then you bake it directly in the hot oven.

Thanks Chembake. It worked very well. I buy McCormack's double action baking
powder at Costco. A 28oz contaner costs about $3.00US. Plus it doesn't show
any aluminium on the label. And, as I said, it did the job. Thanks.

3 Layer Chocolate Cake Travis & Jenn[_2_] Recipes (moderated) 0 26-04-2007 02:10 PM
Layer Cake Pans Frank103 General Cooking 7 16-08-2006 03:30 PM
2-layer sheet cake? -L. Baking 12 11-01-2006 08:33 PM
Lemonade Layer Cake [email protected] Recipes (moderated) 0 06-07-2005 03:52 AM
layer cake noorizanmm Baking 0 27-08-2004 04:38 AM