Posted to rec.food.equipment
Mike Hoza

Default Gaba rice in rice cooker?

I am looking at a rice cooker (Zojirushi NH-VBC18) which has a setting to
make GABA brown (germinated) rice. It does this by keep the rice at 104
degrees F for 2 hours before cooking. However, most of what I have read
states that the brown rice should be soaked anywhere from 8 hours to 2 days
for germination. Generally it is said to soak at "body temerature".

Does anybody know if soaking at 104F for two hours will allow for sufficient
germination?

Thanks in advance,

Mike

Posted to rec.food.equipment
Vox Humana

"Mike Hoza" > wrote in message
> I am looking at a rice cooker (Zojirushi NH-VBC18) which has a setting to
> make GABA brown (germinated) rice. It does this by keep the rice at 104
> degrees F for 2 hours before cooking. However, most of what I have read
> states that the brown rice should be soaked anywhere from 8 hours to 2

days
> for germination. Generally it is said to soak at "body temerature".
>
> Does anybody know if soaking at 104F for two hours will allow for

sufficient
> germination?

From my gardening experience, I would say no. But all you have to do is
devote two hours and see for yourself.

Posted to rec.food.equipment
Vox Humana

"Marcio" > wrote in message
> "Vox Humana" > wrote:
>
> >"Mike Hoza" > wrote in message

> >> Does anybody know if soaking at 104F for two hours will allow for
> >>sufficient germination?

> >From my gardening experience, I would say no. But all you have to do is
> >devote two hours and see for yourself.

> Is there any easy way to keep the water (and the rice) at 104F?

It should stay at a relatively constant temperature for two hours if you put
it in an insulated cooler. For longer periods, you might try putting the
container on a heating pad and covering the whole works with a cardboard
box.

Posted to rec.food.equipment
Del Cecchi

"Vox Humana" > wrote in message
news

> "Marcio" > wrote in message

>> >From my gardening experience, I would say no. But all you have to do
>> >is
>> >devote two hours and see for yourself.

>> Is there any easy way to keep the water (and the rice) at 104F?
>>

> It should stay at a relatively constant temperature for two hours if
> you put
> it in an insulated cooler. For longer periods, you might try putting
> the
> container on a heating pad and covering the whole works with a
> cardboard
> box.

Like making yoghurt. Put it in a thermos bottle. Put it in a bowl or
pan and put the whole mess inside a styrofoam cooler. Set it on a
heating pad and cover with a towel to hold the heat. Any of those will
work. But if rice only germinated at 104 degrees folks would get hungry.
So it takes a little longer at 70 than at 100. so?

del cecchi

Posted to rec.food.equipment
Del Cecchi

Marcio wrote:
> "Del Cecchi" > wrote:
>

>>work. But if rice only germinated at 104 degrees folks would get hungry.
>>So it takes a little longer at 70 than at 100. so?

> Do you even know what this discussion is about? Jeez.

Then buy a rice cooker with GABA cycle. Is it "germination" that makes
the magic amino acid, or the 2 hour soak at 104 degrees which almost
certainly has nothing to do with germination? Have you ever planted a
seed? Sprouted a mung bean? Soaked a navy bean?

I gave concrete suggestions in an earlier post. What have you done?

--
Del Cecchi
"This post is my own and doesn’t necessarily represent IBM’s positions,

Posted to rec.food.equipment
Will

I do a fair amount of sprouting. What you are looking for is a bud on
the tip of the grain. That tells you the grain is activated and moving
rapidly in to enzyme production mode. I haven't seen this in two hours
under any circumstances with any grain. The rate depends on
temperature, the freshness of the grain used and the hardness of the
hull. Brown rice has a hard hull. Figure 20 hours. A yogurt maker will
help speed things along.

It is possible the rice will begin to ferment. That is an additional
benefit to you.