Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Oven Door Glass Schmutz

After roasting a chicken tonight and having it splatter all over, I
decided to test out the self clean feature on my oven. Seeing as the
night is getting late and I don't want to leave this on unattended I
interrupted the cleaning after 1.75 hours and soon after was able to
peek in. The walls and racks are near spotless, but the glass inside the
door still has much schmutz all over it. I want to get this thing
spotless... any tricks? Will spray on cleaner get the door looking new
again? Perhaps a razor to the glass would help those baked on gooey
splatters?
Please advise if you have any other ideas?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 08 Jun 2010 23:03:50 -0400, Goomba >
wrote:

>After roasting a chicken tonight and having it splatter all over, I
>decided to test out the self clean feature on my oven. Seeing as the
>night is getting late and I don't want to leave this on unattended I
>interrupted the cleaning after 1.75 hours and soon after was able to
>peek in. The walls and racks are near spotless, but the glass inside the
>door still has much schmutz all over it. I want to get this thing
>spotless... any tricks? Will spray on cleaner get the door looking new
>again? Perhaps a razor to the glass would help those baked on gooey
>splatters?
>Please advise if you have any other ideas?

Safety razor works best.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 8, 10:03*pm, Goomba > wrote:
> After roasting a chicken tonight and having it splatter all over, I
> decided to test out the self clean feature on my oven. Seeing as the
> night is getting late and I don't want to leave this on unattended I
> interrupted the cleaning after 1.75 hours and soon after was able to
> peek in. The walls and racks are near spotless, but the glass inside the
> door still has much schmutz all over it. I want to get this thing
> spotless... any tricks? Will spray on cleaner get the door looking new
> again? *Perhaps a razor to the glass would help those baked on gooey
> splatters?
> Please advise if you have any other ideas?

Razor scraper and Windex.

http://www.factsfacts.com/MyHomeRepa...adeScraper.jpg

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 8, 10:11*pm, Food Snob® > wrote:
> On Jun 8, 10:03*pm, Goomba > wrote:
>
> > After roasting a chicken tonight and having it splatter all over, I
> > decided to test out the self clean feature on my oven. Seeing as the
> > night is getting late and I don't want to leave this on unattended I
> > interrupted the cleaning after 1.75 hours and soon after was able to
> > peek in. The walls and racks are near spotless, but the glass inside the
> > door still has much schmutz all over it. I want to get this thing
> > spotless... any tricks? Will spray on cleaner get the door looking new
> > again? *Perhaps a razor to the glass would help those baked on gooey
> > splatters?
> > Please advise if you have any other ideas?

> Razor scraper and Windex.
>
> http://www.factsfacts.com/MyHomeRepa...adeScraper.jpg
>
> --Bryan

==
Before using the self-clean feature you should clean the glass as best
you can. Your manual, should you care to read it, has the best advice.
==
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sky Sky is offline

Goomba wrote:

> After roasting a chicken tonight and having it splatter all over, I
> decided to test out the self clean feature on my oven. Seeing as the
> night is getting late and I don't want to leave this on unattended I
> interrupted the cleaning after 1.75 hours and soon after was able to
> peek in. The walls and racks are near spotless, but the glass inside the
> door still has much schmutz all over it. I want to get this thing
> spotless... any tricks? Will spray on cleaner get the door looking new
> again? Perhaps a razor to the glass would help those baked on gooey
> splatters?
> Please advise if you have any other ideas?

Perhaps use a razor-scraper, the sort that's used to remove paint from
glass? Otherwise, I could use suggestions, too! <G>

Sky

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice!!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Roy wrote:

> ==
> Before using the self-clean feature you should clean the glass as best
> you can. Your manual, should you care to read it, has the best advice.
> ==

lol, oooops.. too late.
Hey, the inside looks marvelous. The door looks almost the same as
before the cleaning cycle.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

brooklyn1 wrote:
> On Tue, 08 Jun 2010 23:03:50 -0400, Goomba >
> wrote:
>
>> After roasting a chicken tonight and having it splatter all over, I
>> decided to test out the self clean feature on my oven. Seeing as the
>> night is getting late and I don't want to leave this on unattended I
>> interrupted the cleaning after 1.75 hours and soon after was able to
>> peek in. The walls and racks are near spotless, but the glass inside the
>> door still has much schmutz all over it. I want to get this thing
>> spotless... any tricks? Will spray on cleaner get the door looking new
>> again? Perhaps a razor to the glass would help those baked on gooey
>> splatters?
>> Please advise if you have any other ideas?

> Safety razor works best.

Aha, glad to know. I've never heard anyone suggest using a razor on the
glass before but thought it might work..? I'll stop by Lowes this
morning and pick one up. Thanks.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Food Snob® wrote:
Will spray on cleaner get the door looking new
>> again? Perhaps a razor to the glass would help those baked on gooey
>> splatters?
>> Please advise if you have any other ideas?

> Razor scraper and Windex.
>
> http://www.factsfacts.com/MyHomeRepa...adeScraper.jpg
>
> --Bryan

Gonna pick one up and try it today. Thanks
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba wrote:
The walls and racks are near spotless, but the glass inside
> the door still has much schmutz all over it. I want to get this
> thing
> spotless... any tricks? Will spray on cleaner get the door looking
> new
> again? Perhaps a razor to the glass would help those baked on gooey
> splatters?
> Please advise if you have any other ideas?

Goomba, I've always cleaned the door and glass with a moistened, soapy
steel wool pad before I start the cleaning cycle - just keep it away
from the cloth insulating strip. Wipe off all the soapy residue
before you turn on the switch. However, a single-edge razor blade is
the best bet to remove those already burned-on blobs.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba wrote:
> After roasting a chicken tonight and having it splatter all over, I
> decided to test out the self clean feature on my oven. Seeing as the
> night is getting late and I don't want to leave this on unattended I
> interrupted the cleaning after 1.75 hours and soon after was able to
> peek in. The walls and racks are near spotless,

Are you sure you're supposed to leave the racks in there? Mine
have to come out. They're shiny metal.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/8/2010 10:03 PM, Goomba wrote:
> After roasting a chicken tonight and having it splatter all over, I
> decided to test out the self clean feature on my oven. Seeing as the
> night is getting late and I don't want to leave this on unattended I
> interrupted the cleaning after 1.75 hours and soon after was able to
> peek in. The walls and racks are near spotless, but the glass inside the
> door still has much schmutz all over it. I want to get this thing
> spotless... any tricks? Will spray on cleaner get the door looking new
> again? Perhaps a razor to the glass would help those baked on gooey
> splatters?
> Please advise if you have any other ideas?

What does the manual that came with your stove say? Mine says don't hand
clean the door gasket but everything else is fair game. I let my
self-cleaning oven run the full course, about two hours, and then let it
cool and vacuum out any dust residue.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Wed 09 Jun 2010 04:48:20a, Nancy Young told us...

>> Are you sure you're supposed to leave the racks in there? Mine
>> have to come out. They're shiny metal.

> It's really optional. If you leave them in, most will discolor but
> still remain fully functional. Many manuals refer to this, and if
> you leave them in for cleaning, they recommend rubbing the outer
> rails lightly with oil so that they move smoothly. There are a few
> ranges that have racks intentioinally designed to be left in and they
> don't discolor. Not sure what they're made from.

In line with my usual habit of not reading the manual, I cleaned my
last oven with the racks in the first time. I mean, come on, they're
part of the oven, whoda thought.

It's not that they discolored or not, it's that they were kind of saggy
after that. Not enough to make me replace them, but enough for me
to remember not to leave racks in the oven during self-clean.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 06/08/10 11:17 PM, sometime in the recent past brooklyn1 posted this:
> On Tue, 08 Jun 2010 23:03:50 -0400, >
> wrote:
>
>> After roasting a chicken tonight and having it splatter all over, I
>> decided to test out the self clean feature on my oven. Seeing as the
>> night is getting late and I don't want to leave this on unattended I
>> interrupted the cleaning after 1.75 hours and soon after was able to
>> peek in. The walls and racks are near spotless, but the glass inside the
>> door still has much schmutz all over it. I want to get this thing
>> spotless... any tricks? Will spray on cleaner get the door looking new
>> again? Perhaps a razor to the glass would help those baked on gooey
>> splatters?
>> Please advise if you have any other ideas?

> Safety razor works best.

Perhaps the oven door glass is tempered enough not to scratch, but I've used
a razor on a window once before - emphasis on once. Scratched the hell out
of the glass.

That said, self-cleaning ovens are the dumbest, laziest, most energy
consuming feature you can have on a home appliance. Oh yeah, let me run my
oven at over 500F for 4 hours while I take a drive in the country.

News at 11. lol

--
Wilson 44.69, -67.3
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Wed 09 Jun 2010 05:34:40a, Nancy Young told us...

>> In line with my usual habit of not reading the manual, I cleaned
>> my last oven with the racks in the first time. I mean, come on,
>> they're part of the oven, whoda thought.
>>
>> It's not that they discolored or not, it's that they were kind of
>> saggy after that. Not enough to make me replace them, but enough
>> for me to remember not to leave racks in the oven during
>> self-clean.

> I did read the manual and knew the pitfalls, but was too lazy to
> clean the racks by hand. :-)

Ha, that's the funny part, I don't even care if the racks are shiny
clean or not. To the extent that there isn't actual food clinging
to them, I don't scrub them.

> That was with the first self-cleaning
> oven I owned. I removed them after that in subsequent ovens.

Some racks are made so they can go through the cleaning cycle.
If I cared enough, I would look for that in my next oven.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wilson wrote:

> That said, self-cleaning ovens are the dumbest, laziest, most energy
> consuming feature you can have on a home appliance. Oh yeah, let me
> run my oven at over 500F for 4 hours while I take a drive in the
> country.

Screw that, feel free to clean your oven manually and leave me
out of it. A couple times a year, I light that sucker up and I don't
feel one bit sorry.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Goomba" > wrote in message
> After roasting a chicken tonight and having it splatter all over, I
> decided to test out the self clean feature on my oven. Seeing as the night
> is getting late and I don't want to leave this on unattended I interrupted
> the cleaning after 1.75 hours and soon after was able to peek in. The
> walls and racks are near spotless, but the glass inside the door still has
> much schmutz all over it. I want to get this thing spotless... any tricks?
> Will spray on cleaner get the door looking new again? Perhaps a razor to
> the glass would help those baked on gooey splatters?
> Please advise if you have any other ideas?

I use a single blade razor - other end of an old style of box cutter used by
stock clerks.

Mostly the gunk comes off like dried paint on glass.

Dimitri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 8, 10:03*pm, Goomba > wrote:
> After roasting a chicken tonight and having it splatter all over, I
> decided to test out the self clean feature on my oven. Seeing as the
> night is getting late and I don't want to leave this on unattended I
> interrupted the cleaning after 1.75 hours and soon after was able to
> peek in. The walls and racks are near spotless, but the glass inside the
> door still has much schmutz all over it. I want to get this thing
> spotless... any tricks? Will spray on cleaner get the door looking new
> again? *Perhaps a razor to the glass would help those baked on gooey
> splatters?
> Please advise if you have any other ideas?

I've found a razor scraper to work best - but I always do it BEFORE
turning on the self-cleaning feature.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/9/2010 6:01 AM, Goomba wrote:
> brooklyn1 wrote:
>> On Tue, 08 Jun 2010 23:03:50 -0400, Goomba >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> After roasting a chicken tonight and having it splatter all over, I
>>> decided to test out the self clean feature on my oven. Seeing as the
>>> night is getting late and I don't want to leave this on unattended I
>>> interrupted the cleaning after 1.75 hours and soon after was able to
>>> peek in. The walls and racks are near spotless, but the glass inside
>>> the door still has much schmutz all over it. I want to get this thing
>>> spotless... any tricks? Will spray on cleaner get the door looking
>>> new again? Perhaps a razor to the glass would help those baked on
>>> gooey splatters?
>>> Please advise if you have any other ideas?

>> Safety razor works best.

> Aha, glad to know. I've never heard anyone suggest using a razor on the
> glass before but thought it might work..? I'll stop by Lowes this
> morning and pick one up. Thanks.

If you check in the paint aisle you'll find a little gadget that holds a
box knife blade sideways that's great for that sort of thing--also good
for getting stickers off a windshield (which is what the Florida vehicle
inspector was doing the first time I saw such a gadget).

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 09 Jun 2010 06:01:29 -0400, Goomba >
wrote:

>brooklyn1 wrote:
>> On Tue, 08 Jun 2010 23:03:50 -0400, Goomba >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> After roasting a chicken tonight and having it splatter all over, I
>>> decided to test out the self clean feature on my oven. Seeing as the
>>> night is getting late and I don't want to leave this on unattended I
>>> interrupted the cleaning after 1.75 hours and soon after was able to
>>> peek in. The walls and racks are near spotless, but the glass inside the
>>> door still has much schmutz all over it. I want to get this thing
>>> spotless... any tricks? Will spray on cleaner get the door looking new
>>> again? Perhaps a razor to the glass would help those baked on gooey
>>> splatters?
>>> Please advise if you have any other ideas?

>> Safety razor works best.

>Aha, glad to know. I've never heard anyone suggest using a razor on the
>glass before but thought it might work..? I'll stop by Lowes this
>morning and pick one up. Thanks.

Buy extra blades and use only fresh sharp blades on glass, dull blades
can scratch glass. Dispose of blades properly... save the little
cardboard guard and tape it to the used blades.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/9/2010 6:48 AM, Nancy Young wrote:
> Goomba wrote:
>> After roasting a chicken tonight and having it splatter all over, I
>> decided to test out the self clean feature on my oven. Seeing as the
>> night is getting late and I don't want to leave this on unattended I
>> interrupted the cleaning after 1.75 hours and soon after was able to
>> peek in. The walls and racks are near spotless,

> Are you sure you're supposed to leave the racks in there? Mine have to
> come out. They're shiny metal.
>
> nancy

My Frigidaire gas range with self-cleaning oven says remove the racks or
they will, at the least, discolor.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/9/2010 7:28 AM, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Wed 09 Jun 2010 04:48:20a, Nancy Young told us...
>
>> Goomba wrote:
>>> After roasting a chicken tonight and having it splatter all over,

>>> decided to test out the self clean feature on my oven. Seeing as

> the
>>> night is getting late and I don't want to leave this on unattended

>>> interrupted the cleaning after 1.75 hours and soon after was able

>>> peek in. The walls and racks are near spotless,

>> Are you sure you're supposed to leave the racks in there? Mine
>> have to come out. They're shiny metal.
>>
>> nancy
>>

> It's really optional. If you leave them in, most will discolor but
> still remain fully functional. Many manuals refer to this, and if
> you leave them in for cleaning, they recommend rubbing the outer
> rails lightly with oil so that they move smoothly. There are a few
> ranges that have racks intentioinally designed to be left in and they
> don't discolor. Not sure what they're made from.

Most likely stainless steel, the ordinary ones, like mine, are chrome
plated steel and will definitely discolor. The oil on the rack rails is
what my manual recommends too.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/9/2010 7:49 AM, Janet Baraclough wrote:
> The >
> from > contains these words:
>
>> After roasting a chicken tonight and having it splatter all over, I
>> decided to test out the self clean feature on my oven. Seeing as the
>> night is getting late and I don't want to leave this on unattended I
>> interrupted the cleaning after 1.75 hours and soon after was able to
>> peek in. The walls and racks are near spotless, but the glass inside the
>> door still has much schmutz all over it. I want to get this thing
>> spotless... any tricks? Will spray on cleaner get the door looking new
>> again? Perhaps a razor to the glass would help those baked on gooey
>> splatters?
>> Please advise if you have any other ideas?

> I'd be wary of the razor idea in case the glass was manufactured with
> a special surface.
>
> My oven has a twin-layer glass door window, and the inner one is
> removable (instructions in handbook) for cleaning.
> The best cleaner I've tried, is Oven Pride stuff where you put the
> oven part in a provided plastic bag, add the chemical and seal. Take it
> out and all grot rinses off.
> Effortless and highly effective but it mustnt touch any seals.
>
> If your door-glass doesn't detach you might try a spray-on cleaning
> prep you can buy to get tar off the inside of glass doors on
> woodstoves.
>
> Janet.

I used a plastic scraper on mine once and it seemed to work quite well
without scratching. Steel is definitely out as steel will scratch glass.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" wrote:
>Goomba wrote:
>> After roasting a chicken tonight and having it splatter all over, I
>> decided to test out the self clean feature on my oven. Seeing as the
>> night is getting late and I don't want to leave this on unattended I
>> interrupted the cleaning after 1.75 hours and soon after was able to
>> peek in. The walls and racks are near spotless,

>Are you sure you're supposed to leave the racks in there? Mine
>have to come out. They're shiny metal.

Yes, the thin nickle plating will flake off but that's not the reason.

My stove manual says to remove racks, and anything else, before
cleaning or the wire rack steel will lose it's temper and become dead
soft, causing them to no longer safely support weighty items.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:
> Goomba wrote:

The walls and racks are near spotless,

> Are you sure you're supposed to leave the racks in there? Mine
> have to come out. They're shiny metal.
>
> nancy

I always take mine out - they look like chrome and would turn black if
left in the oven during the cleaning cycle.

Dora

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
There are a few
> ranges that have racks intentioinally designed to be left in and
> they
> don't discolor. Not sure what they're made from.

Porcelain coated, maybe?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:
> Wilson wrote:
>
>> That said, self-cleaning ovens are the dumbest, laziest, most energy
>> consuming feature you can have on a home appliance. Oh yeah, let me
>> run my oven at over 500F for 4 hours while I take a drive in the
>> country.

> Screw that, feel free to clean your oven manually and leave me
> out of it. A couple times a year, I light that sucker up and I don't
> feel one bit sorry.
>
> nancy

Oh hell.. I don't even do it once a year. My oven doesn't get very
dirty, thankfully!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

George Shirley wrote:

> What does the manual that came with your stove say? Mine says don't hand
> clean the door gasket but everything else is fair game. I let my
> self-cleaning oven run the full course, about two hours, and then let it
> cool and vacuum out any dust residue.

oh there ya go... trying to be logical and practical. LOL I'd have to
go dig out the manual from the garage. I'll stay away from the gasket,
honest. Thanks.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 09 Jun 2010 09:01:45 -0400, Wilson >
wrote:

>On 06/08/10 11:17 PM, sometime in the recent past brooklyn1 posted this:
>> On Tue, 08 Jun 2010 23:03:50 -0400, >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> After roasting a chicken tonight and having it splatter all over, I
>>> decided to test out the self clean feature on my oven. Seeing as the
>>> night is getting late and I don't want to leave this on unattended I
>>> interrupted the cleaning after 1.75 hours and soon after was able to
>>> peek in. The walls and racks are near spotless, but the glass inside the
>>> door still has much schmutz all over it. I want to get this thing
>>> spotless... any tricks? Will spray on cleaner get the door looking new
>>> again? Perhaps a razor to the glass would help those baked on gooey
>>> splatters?
>>> Please advise if you have any other ideas?

>> Safety razor works best.

>Perhaps the oven door glass is tempered enough not to scratch, but I've used
>a razor on a window once before - emphasis on once. Scratched the hell out
>of the glass.

You used a blade dull as your IQ.

>That said, self-cleaning ovens are the dumbest, laziest, most energy
>consuming feature you can have on a home appliance. Oh yeah, let me run my
>oven at over 500F for 4 hours while I take a drive in the country.

Costs less than a can of oven cleaner, saves your health not breathing
those fumes, and saves your skin by not scrubbing lye, and normal
brained folks would much rather do something more enjoyable for that
hour of cleaning... and you exaggerate, auto clean only runs 2
hours... nearly as much time is cool down. Doesn't use nearly as much
energy as the pinheads who regularly bake one potato or run an oven
twice a week full on for 40 minutes just for one small crappy frozen
pizza what ain't as good as Pizza Hut, or a few frozen fries, and they
do this on the hottest summer days when the AC is full on. How often
does one run the auto clean cycle anyway? In over ten years I ran
mine once... and I use my oven but I know how to minimize spatter to
practically zero... the kitchen slobs over fill bakeware and are too
miserly to buy properly sized roasting pans. I suggest folks who live
in cold climes run the self clean cycle in winter, it heats your
house... I don't use my oven in summer, that's what outdoor grills are
for. Today is an unusually cold day for this time of year here in the
Catskills, only 51şF, and looks like rain so the house is cold and
damp... decided to cook a spiral sliced ham... the few pennies worth
of propane to cook a ham at 325şF for two hours made my house much
more comfy... and this ham cost $21, not a 30˘ tater what needs a good
hour at 400şF.

This time I decided to use the glaze packet, I like it but my cats
don't... won't be using it again.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> It's really optional. If you leave them in, most will discolor but
> still remain fully functional. Many manuals refer to this, and if
> you leave them in for cleaning, they recommend rubbing the outer
> rails lightly with oil so that they move smoothly. There are a few
> ranges that have racks intentioinally designed to be left in and they
> don't discolor. Not sure what they're made from.

Just peeked in again. The racks look as shiny as before but they don't
slide quite as easily. I haven't wiped out the oven yet (so little ash
visible!) but will do so and oil the glides a bit.
If I could get the energy to read the manual I could know what GE
suggests. But the chance of that is ...slim. :/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> I did read the manual and knew the pitfalls, but was too lazy to
> clean the racks by hand. :-) That was with the first self-cleaning
> oven I owned. I removed them after that in subsequent ovens.

We recently remodeled the kids bathroom and while the plumber was here
we had him put a washtub out in the garage so I have the perfect place
to wash those racks now. I just didn't do it. Live and learn.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wilson wrote:

> That said, self-cleaning ovens are the dumbest, laziest, most energy
> consuming feature you can have on a home appliance. Oh yeah, let me run
> my oven at over 500F for 4 hours while I take a drive in the country.
>
> News at 11. lol

Well, we all pick and choose are battles and stands. I'm sure you do
something I'd consider dumb, lazy and wasteful too. We just don't know
what it is, eh?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba wrote:

> We recently remodeled the kids bathroom and while the plumber was
> here
> we had him put a washtub out in the garage so I have the perfect
> place
> to wash those racks now. I just didn't do it. Live and learn.

Soak them for a while in washing soday, Goomba. The gunk is then much
easier to remove.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/9/2010 11:54 AM, George Shirley wrote:
> On 6/9/2010 7:49 AM, Janet Baraclough wrote:
>> The >
>> from > contains these words:
>>
>>> After roasting a chicken tonight and having it splatter all over, I
>>> decided to test out the self clean feature on my oven. Seeing as the
>>> night is getting late and I don't want to leave this on unattended I
>>> interrupted the cleaning after 1.75 hours and soon after was able to
>>> peek in. The walls and racks are near spotless, but the glass inside the
>>> door still has much schmutz all over it. I want to get this thing
>>> spotless... any tricks? Will spray on cleaner get the door looking new
>>> again? Perhaps a razor to the glass would help those baked on gooey
>>> splatters?
>>> Please advise if you have any other ideas?

>> I'd be wary of the razor idea in case the glass was manufactured with
>> a special surface.
>>
>> My oven has a twin-layer glass door window, and the inner one is
>> removable (instructions in handbook) for cleaning.
>> The best cleaner I've tried, is Oven Pride stuff where you put the
>> oven part in a provided plastic bag, add the chemical and seal. Take it
>> out and all grot rinses off.
>> Effortless and highly effective but it mustnt touch any seals.
>>
>> If your door-glass doesn't detach you might try a spray-on cleaning
>> prep you can buy to get tar off the inside of glass doors on
>> woodstoves.
>>
>> Janet.

> I used a plastic scraper on mine once and it seemed to work quite well
> without scratching. Steel is definitely out as steel will scratch glass.

That depends on the steel. Steel has to be treated to a very high
hardness to scratch glass.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 9 Jun 2010 07:48:20 -0400, "Nancy Young"
> wrote:

> Goomba wrote:
> > After roasting a chicken tonight and having it splatter all over, I
> > decided to test out the self clean feature on my oven. Seeing as the
> > night is getting late and I don't want to leave this on unattended I
> > interrupted the cleaning after 1.75 hours and soon after was able to
> > peek in. The walls and racks are near spotless,

> Are you sure you're supposed to leave the racks in there? Mine
> have to come out. They're shiny metal.

The racks can stay in, they just lose their shine.

--
Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 9 Jun 2010 08:34:40 -0400, "Nancy Young"
> wrote:

> It's not that they discolored or not, it's that they were kind of saggy
> after that. Not enough to make me replace them, but enough for me
> to remember not to leave racks in the oven during self-clean.

Sorry to hear that. I guess they're made with cheaper material these
days.

--
Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 9 Jun 2010 09:16:30 -0400, "Nancy Young"
> wrote:

> Screw that, feel free to clean your oven manually and leave me
> out of it. A couple times a year, I light that sucker up and I don't
> feel one bit sorry.

LOL! Me too! I *hate* cleaning ovens by hand and gladly pay the few
paltry cents it takes to run a full 3 hr cleaning cycle.

--
Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 9 Jun 2010 07:10:12 -0700 (PDT), Nancy2
> wrote:

> I've found a razor scraper to work best - but I always do it BEFORE
> turning on the self-cleaning feature.

That's a good idea. I never think about it until after.

--
Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 09 Jun 2010 14:28:31 -0400, "J. Clarke"
> wrote:

>On 6/9/2010 11:54 AM, George Shirley wrote:
>> On 6/9/2010 7:49 AM, Janet Baraclough wrote:
>>> The >
>>> from > contains these words:

>>> I'd be wary of the razor idea in case the glass was manufactured with
>>> a special surface.
>>>
>>> My oven has a twin-layer glass door window, and the inner one is
>>> removable (instructions in handbook) for cleaning.
>>> The best cleaner I've tried, is Oven Pride stuff where you put the
>>> oven part in a provided plastic bag, add the chemical and seal. Take it
>>> out and all grot rinses off.
>>> Effortless and highly effective but it mustnt touch any seals.
>>>
>>> If your door-glass doesn't detach you might try a spray-on cleaning
>>> prep you can buy to get tar off the inside of glass doors on
>>> woodstoves.
>>>
>>> Janet.

>> I used a plastic scraper on mine once and it seemed to work quite well
>> without scratching. Steel is definitely out as steel will scratch glass.

>That depends on the steel. Steel has to be treated to a very high
>hardness to scratch glass.

Razor blades are tempered to a high enough degree of hardness to
scratch most glass but typically won't unless dull. Dull blades will
scratch because they require one to apply more pressure and at a more
obtuse angle... the same way one can shave easily with a sharp razor
blade but with a dull blade will need to apply more pressure and will
be more prone to cuts, nicks, and razor rash. Glaziers also use a
glass lubricant in an aerosol can, just like one uses shaving cream.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Wed, 9 Jun 2010 07:48:20 -0400, "Nancy Young"
> > wrote:
>
>> Goomba wrote:
>>> After roasting a chicken tonight and having it splatter all over, I
>>> decided to test out the self clean feature on my oven. Seeing as the
>>> night is getting late and I don't want to leave this on unattended I
>>> interrupted the cleaning after 1.75 hours and soon after was able to
>>> peek in. The walls and racks are near spotless,

>> Are you sure you're supposed to leave the racks in there? Mine
>> have to come out. They're shiny metal.
>>

> The racks can stay in, they just lose their shine.

You have to read the manual, not every oven has racks that should
stay in. Probably most should come out.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Food Snob® wrote:
> On Jun 8, 10:03 pm, Goomba > wrote:
>

>> Perhaps a razor to the glass would help those baked on gooey
>> splatters?
>> Please advise if you have any other ideas?

> Razor scraper and Windex.
>
> http://www.factsfacts.com/MyHomeRepa...adeScraper.jpg
>
> --Bryan

Or ammonia which has been left on the glass for a few minutes to soften
the schmutz, then attacked with a blade.

gloria p