Viviane

Default Miele dishwasher problem

We've just moved into an apartment and the Miele dishwasher is about 10
years old. It is making our cutlery look brownish and the glasses looked
smeary. I am using the same powder and rinseaid as we put in our old one.
I thought Miele appliances were supposed to be really good. Is there
something we're doing wrong?

Vox Humana

"Viviane" > wrote in message
> We've just moved into an apartment and the Miele dishwasher is about 10
> years old. It is making our cutlery look brownish and the glasses looked
> smeary. I am using the same powder and rinseaid as we put in our old one.
> I thought Miele appliances were supposed to be really good. Is there
> something we're doing wrong?

It sounds like you are using too much detergent and the glasses are etching.
Maybe the water isn't as hard in the new place and you don't need as much
detergent.

I don't know which powder you use. I have a Fisher & Paykel washer and
it really HAS to have Cascade Complete. Even in the old Maytag I had,
that powder was best. Try that and see if it works. Does Miele
recommend a specific powder or rinse aid? If so, it may really make a
difference. You might call them.

Edwin Pawlowski

"Viviane" > wrote in message

> We've just moved into an apartment and the Miele dishwasher is about 10
> years old. It is making our cutlery look brownish and the glasses looked
> smeary. I am using the same powder and rinseaid as we put in our old one.
> I thought Miele appliances were supposed to be really good. Is there
> something we're doing wrong?

Could be a huge difference in water quality. Have it tested for hardness,
iron, etc. Many dealers of water equipment will do the test cheap, even
free it they can sell you something.

Viviane

Maybe I should have pointed out I have only moved 3km away - from an inner
city suburb to the city. Can that make a difference in water quality?

"Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote in message
. ..

> "Viviane" > wrote in message
>
>> We've just moved into an apartment and the Miele dishwasher is about 10
>> years old. It is making our cutlery look brownish and the glasses
>> looked smeary. I am using the same powder and rinseaid as we put in our
>> old one. I thought Miele appliances were supposed to be really good. Is
>> there something we're doing wrong?

> Could be a huge difference in water quality. Have it tested for hardness,
> iron, etc. Many dealers of water equipment will do the test cheap, even
> free it they can sell you something.

Wayne Boatwright

On Mon 08 Aug 2005 09:49:03p, Viviane wrote in rec.food.equipment:

> Maybe I should have pointed out I have only moved 3km away - from an
> inner city suburb to the city. Can that make a difference in water
> quality?

Yes. You water could easily be coming from a different source.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0532-0, 08/08/2005
Tested on: 8/8/2005 9:55:51 PM

Edwin Pawlowski

"Viviane" > wrote in message
> Maybe I should have pointed out I have only moved 3km away - from an inner
> city suburb to the city. Can that make a difference in water quality?

I have two water sources in the same building and they are entirely
different in pH, iron contents, etc. The wells are a few hundred yards
apart.

Dee Randall

"Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote in message
. ..

> "Viviane" > wrote in message
>
>> We've just moved into an apartment and the Miele dishwasher is about 10
>> years old. It is making our cutlery look brownish and the glasses
>> looked smeary. I am using the same powder and rinseaid as we put in our
>> old one. I thought Miele appliances were supposed to be really good. Is
>> there something we're doing wrong?

> Could be a huge difference in water quality. Have it tested for hardness,
> iron, etc. Many dealers of water equipment will do the test cheap, even
> free it they can sell you something.

For instance, last week my husband took a water sample of water after it had
been softened, and a water sample of water before it had been softened; the
water was 42 grains coming into the house, and perfect inside the house -
no hardness. This was done by Culligan. He spent an hour with them on the
phone getting good advice about water. He said that there was no hint of
them trying to sell any service or equipment to them -- just good will.
They recommended Sun Shield as a soap to use, which is available at grocery
stores. I couldn't find it on google. Will look in the grocery stores. I
have tried extra rinses, and extra washes, and am now the last week going
to the heaviest cycle, actually using less soap. This is only starting to
change the scum on my glasses. I used vinegar rinse without dishes in my
tub. I tried Lemi-shine in variuos ways which was recommended by persons
on the ng. Give all these things a try to clean out your dishwasher.
Perhaps it has been mistreated.
Dee

Dee