Adam Preble

Default Tearing apart a KitchenAid K45SS mixer

I got one of these for free. I don't know how old it is, other than
Hobart made it. When plugged in, it won't turn on. It doesn't trip the
breaker, so it doesn't look like the brushes are at fault; I checked
those anyhow and they don't seem to be worn down to stubs -- not that I
really know if they are good anymore. I'm thinking either the power
supply or the motor is busted. My bet is on the motor, of course.

I'm not very certain how to get to the motor without breaking something.
I try to verify something is the way it seems to be before I try to
force it, so here I am. I got the mixer top removed from the base, and
the back part of the top is off. I got the metal wrap-around removed;
it's the piece that shows the speed settings, and has the logo on it. I
think this exposes a two piece assembly. It seems to budge a little if
I wedge a screwdriver in there, but it certainly doesn't just open up.
Do I wedge that open, or is there something else I am supposed to do first?
The Cook

Adam Preble > wrote:

>I got one of these for free. I don't know how old it is, other than
>Hobart made it. When plugged in, it won't turn on. It doesn't trip the
>breaker, so it doesn't look like the brushes are at fault; I checked
>those anyhow and they don't seem to be worn down to stubs -- not that I
>really know if they are good anymore. I'm thinking either the power
>supply or the motor is busted. My bet is on the motor, of course.
>
>I'm not very certain how to get to the motor without breaking something.
> I try to verify something is the way it seems to be before I try to
>force it, so here I am. I got the mixer top removed from the base, and
>the back part of the top is off. I got the metal wrap-around removed;
>it's the piece that shows the speed settings, and has the logo on it. I
>think this exposes a two piece assembly. It seems to budge a little if
>I wedge a screwdriver in there, but it certainly doesn't just open up.
>Do I wedge that open, or is there something else I am supposed to do first?

Check out the alt.bread.recipes FAQ at http://planeguy.mine.nu/bread
There is a complete description if the process under "tools and
equipment."

--
Susan N.

"Moral indignation is in most cases two percent moral, 48 percent indignation, and 50 percent envy."
Adam Preble

The Cook wrote:
> Adam Preble > wrote:
>

>>I got one of these for free. I don't know how old it is, other than
>>Hobart made it. When plugged in, it won't turn on. It doesn't trip the
>>breaker, so it doesn't look like the brushes are at fault; I checked
>>those anyhow and they don't seem to be worn down to stubs -- not that I
>>really know if they are good anymore. I'm thinking either the power
>>supply or the motor is busted. My bet is on the motor, of course.
>>
>>I'm not very certain how to get to the motor without breaking something.
>> I try to verify something is the way it seems to be before I try to
>>force it, so here I am. I got the mixer top removed from the base, and
>>the back part of the top is off. I got the metal wrap-around removed;
>>it's the piece that shows the speed settings, and has the logo on it. I
>>think this exposes a two piece assembly. It seems to budge a little if
>>I wedge a screwdriver in there, but it certainly doesn't just open up.
>>Do I wedge that open, or is there something else I am supposed to do first?

> Check out the alt.bread.recipes FAQ at http://planeguy.mine.nu/bread
> There is a complete description if the process under "tools and
> equipment."

I found this procedure eerily similar to something else I saw on the
Internet. In fact, it's the exact same procedure. I had thought this
was only a method a to get to transmission and nothing else. I guess
I'll try it anyways and see how far it takes me into the mixer.
Don Wiss

On Fri, 08 Jul 2005, Adam Preble > wrote:

>I got one of these for free. I don't know how old it is, other than
>Hobart made it.

Do you know if parts are available for it? I had an old KitchenAid blender.
The motor ran, but the blades didn't spin. I figured the clutch. But before
I tore it apart I called and found they had completely redesigned it and
that NO parts were available for it. However, because of this they offered
me a new model (refurbished) for only $30, with all shipping included.