Wayne Boatwright

Default KitchenAid Mixer Tip

Many of you may already know this, but I'd like to offer this tip for those
of you who don't.

You can increase whisk contact when beathing egg whites by not engaging the
whisk over the locking pin when you mount it over the motor shaft. Simply
hold the whisk in place as you lower the head or raise the bowl (depending on
your model). This allows the whisk to drop down and make full contact with
the bottom of the bowl and ingredients, and increases the beating efficiency.

NOTE: Do NOT try this with either the flat beater or dough hook, as it could
cause damage to the machine, however, it is perfectly safe with the whisk.

I believe this tip was originally given by Julia Child on one of her cooking
shows.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0525-3, 06/23/2005
Tested on: 6/24/2005 2:35:20 AM

Sheldon

Duh'Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> Many of you may already know this, but I'd like to offer this tip for those
> of you who don't.
>
> You can increase whisk contact

How does one increase contact, there is either contact or there isn't..
perhaps what you meant to say is to *make* contact... once contact is
made the only way to increase contact between bowl and wire whip is to
increase *pressure*, which absolutely causes the whip wires to
distort... DON'T! Stand mixer whips are not designed to be flexible
like hand whips.

> when beathing egg whites by not engaging the
> whisk over the locking pin when you mount it over the motor shaft. Simply
> hold the whisk in place as you lower the head or raise the bowl (depending on
> your model). This allows the whisk to drop down and make full contact with
> the bottom of the bowl and ingredients, and increases the beating efficiency.
>
> NOTE: Do NOT try this with either the flat beater or dough hook, as it could
> cause damage to the machine, however, it is perfectly safe with the whisk.

Do NOT make metal to metal contact with a wire whip either, not only
doesn't that accomplish anything positive culinarilly but both the bowl
and whip will indeed become damaged. The friction from metal to metal
contact will generate heat (not good culinarilly), and if friction is
increased so will strain on the motor and gearing increase,
substantially. Kitchenaid stand mixers have a screw for adjusting the
space between the bowl and the various implements, whereas the same
setting may not be correct/ideal for all implements, especially since
unlike the more solid implements wire whips do distort to a far more
pronounced degree just through normal use... use the adjustment screw
to close the gap but under no circumstances should there be metal to
metal contact with any implement. To adjust the space place a dime
into the bowl and make adjustments with the screw until the implement
just contacts the dime at the very bottom of bowl... there should be a
small space at the extreme bottom portion with any implement (so
anytime an adjustment is made check all implements), the implements are
designed so that the distance to the bowl is greater at the sides,
attempting to close that side gap will definitely cause *great* damage.

> I believe this tip was originally given by Julia Child on one of her cooking
> shows.

Mechanically Julia Child was an idiot too.

Wayne Boatwright

On Fri 24 Jun 2005 05:09:25a, Sheldon wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> Duh'Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>> Many of you may already know this, but I'd like to offer this tip for
>> those of you who don't.
>>
>> You can increase whisk contact

> How does one increase contact, there is either contact or there isn't..
> perhaps what you meant to say is to *make* contact... once contact is
> made the only way to increase contact between bowl and wire whip is to
> increase *pressure*, which absolutely causes the whip wires to
> distort... DON'T! Stand mixer whips are not designed to be flexible
> like hand whips.
>
>> when beathing egg whites by not engaging the
>> whisk over the locking pin when you mount it over the motor shaft.
>> Simply hold the whisk in place as you lower the head or raise the bowl
>> (depending on your model). This allows the whisk to drop down and make
>> full contact with the bottom of the bowl and ingredients, and increases
>> the beating efficiency.
>>
>> NOTE: Do NOT try this with either the flat beater or dough hook, as it
>> could cause damage to the machine, however, it is perfectly safe with
>> the whisk.

> Do NOT make metal to metal contact with a wire whip either, not only
> doesn't that accomplish anything positive culinarilly but both the bowl
> and whip will indeed become damaged. The friction from metal to metal
> contact will generate heat (not good culinarilly), and if friction is
> increased so will strain on the motor and gearing increase,
> substantially. Kitchenaid stand mixers have a screw for adjusting the
> space between the bowl and the various implements, whereas the same
> setting may not be correct/ideal for all implements, especially since
> unlike the more solid implements wire whips do distort to a far more
> pronounced degree just through normal use... use the adjustment screw
> to close the gap but under no circumstances should there be metal to
> metal contact with any implement. To adjust the space place a dime
> into the bowl and make adjustments with the screw until the implement
> just contacts the dime at the very bottom of bowl... there should be a
> small space at the extreme bottom portion with any implement (so
> anytime an adjustment is made check all implements), the implements are
> designed so that the distance to the bowl is greater at the sides,
> attempting to close that side gap will definitely cause *great* damage.
>
>> I believe this tip was originally given by Julia Child on one of her
>> cooking shows.

> Mechanically Julia Child was an idiot too.

PAY NO ATTENTION TO THE IDIOT BEHIND THE QUOTE!

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0525-3, 06/23/2005
Tested on: 6/24/2005 5:16:15 AM

Sheldon

Duh'Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> Sheldon wrote:
> > Duh'Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> >> Many of you may already know this, but I'd like to offer this tip for
> >> those of you who don't.
> >>
> >> You can increase whisk contact

> > How does one increase contact, there is either contact or there isn't..
> > perhaps what you meant to say is to *make* contact... once contact is
> > made the only way to increase contact between bowl and wire whip is to
> > increase *pressure*, which absolutely causes the whip wires to
> > distort... DON'T! Stand mixer whips are not designed to be flexible
> > like hand whips.
> >
> >> when beathing egg whites by not engaging the
> >> whisk over the locking pin when you mount it over the motor shaft.
> >> Simply hold the whisk in place as you lower the head or raise the bowl
> >> (depending on your model). This allows the whisk to drop down and make
> >> full contact with the bottom of the bowl and ingredients, and increases
> >> the beating efficiency.
> >>
> >> NOTE: Do NOT try this with either the flat beater or dough hook, as it
> >> could cause damage to the machine, however, it is perfectly safe with
> >> the whisk.

> > Do NOT make metal to metal contact with a wire whip either, not only
> > doesn't that accomplish anything positive culinarilly but both the bowl
> > and whip will indeed become damaged. The friction from metal to metal
> > contact will generate heat (not good culinarilly), and if friction is
> > increased so will strain on the motor and gearing increase,
> > substantially. Kitchenaid stand mixers have a screw for adjusting the
> > space between the bowl and the various implements, whereas the same
> > setting may not be correct/ideal for all implements, especially since
> > unlike the more solid implements wire whips do distort to a far more
> > pronounced degree just through normal use... use the adjustment screw
> > to close the gap but under no circumstances should there be metal to
> > metal contact with any implement. To adjust the space place a dime
> > into the bowl and make adjustments with the screw until the implement
> > just contacts the dime at the very bottom of bowl... there should be a
> > small space at the extreme bottom portion with any implement (so
> > anytime an adjustment is made check all implements), the implements are
> > designed so that the distance to the bowl is greater at the sides,
> > attempting to close that side gap will definitely cause *great* damage.
> >
> >> I believe this tip was originally given by Julia Child on one of her
> >> cooking shows.

> > Mechanically Julia Child was an idiot too.

> PAY NO ATTENTION TO THE IDIOT BEHIND THE QUOTE!

QUOTE:

http://www.kitchenaid.com/custserv/f...?sectionId=222

My flat beater, wire whip and dough hook are scraping against the
bottom of the bowl when I use my mixer. How can I fix this?
KitchenAid suggests that the beater to bowl clearance should be 1/16"
for optimum mixing results. It is possible that the beater to bowl
clearance for your stand mixer may need to be adjusted occasionally.

To determine if the clearance is at the correct level, place a dime in
the bottom of the mixer bowl, insert the flat beater, and turn the
mixer to "Stir" speed. The beater should just graze the dime and move
it approximately 3/4" each time it goes around the bowl. If the beater
does not touch the dime, the clearance is too high. If the beater has
great difficulty pushing the dime around the bottom of the bowl, the
clearance is too low.

The clearance may be adjusted with the screw that is located under the
head of the mixer. To lower the beater, turn the screw SLIGHTLY (1/4
turn) clockwise or right. To raise the beater, turn the screw SLIGHTLY
(1/4 turn) counter clockwise or left. Adjustment should be made only
with the flat beater in place. If the clearance is correct for the flat
beater, it will be correct for the dough hook and wire whip, as well.
For specific instructions, please refer to your Recipe & Instruction
Book. This adjustment should correct the problem you are experiencing.
If you need assistance with the adjustment, call our Customer Service
Center at 1-800-541-6390. . . . do NOT call Duh'Wayne!

---

Sheldon

Wayne Boatwright

On Fri 24 Jun 2005 05:45:24a, Sheldon wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> [...]

> does not touch the dime, the clearance is too high. If the beater has
> great difficulty pushing the dime around the bottom of the bowl, the
> clearance is too low.
>

> The clearance may be adjusted with the screw that is located under the
> head of the mixer. To lower the beater, turn the screw SLIGHTLY (1/4
> turn) clockwise or right. To raise the beater, turn the screw SLIGHTLY
> (1/4 turn) counter clockwise or left. Adjustment should be made only
> with the flat beater in place. If the clearance is correct for the flat
> beater, it will be correct for the dough hook and wire whip, as well.
> For specific instructions, please refer to your Recipe & Instruction
> Book. This adjustment should correct the problem you are experiencing.
> If you need assistance with the adjustment, call our Customer Service
> Center at 1-800-541-6390. . . . do NOT call Duh'Wayne!

Earlier K5 models are not user adjustable. This is clearly stated in the
operating manual.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0525-4, 06/24/2005
Tested on: 6/24/2005 6:24:37 AM

Bubba

Sheldon wrote:

>Duh'Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>

>>Many of you may already know this, but I'd like to offer this tip for those
>>of you who don't.
>>
>>You can increase whisk contact
>>

>How does one increase contact, there is either contact or there isn't..
>perhaps what you meant to say is to *make* contact... once contact is
>made the only way to increase contact between bowl and wire whip is to
>increase *pressure*, which absolutely causes the whip wires to
>distort... DON'T! Stand mixer whips are not designed to be flexible
>like hand whips.
>

>>when beathing egg whites by not engaging the
>>whisk over the locking pin when you mount it over the motor shaft. Simply
>>hold the whisk in place as you lower the head or raise the bowl (depending on
>>your model). This allows the whisk to drop down and make full contact with
>>the bottom of the bowl and ingredients, and increases the beating efficiency.
>>
>>NOTE: Do NOT try this with either the flat beater or dough hook, as it could
>>cause damage to the machine, however, it is perfectly safe with the whisk.
>>

>Do NOT make metal to metal contact with a wire whip either, not only
>doesn't that accomplish anything positive culinarilly but both the bowl
>and whip will indeed become damaged. The friction from metal to metal
>contact will generate heat (not good culinarilly), and if friction is
>increased so will strain on the motor and gearing increase,
>substantially. Kitchenaid stand mixers have a screw for adjusting the
>space between the bowl and the various implements, whereas the same
>setting may not be correct/ideal for all implements, especially since
>unlike the more solid implements wire whips do distort to a far more
>pronounced degree just through normal use... use the adjustment screw
>to close the gap but under no circumstances should there be metal to
>metal contact with any implement. To adjust the space place a dime
>into the bowl and make adjustments with the screw until the implement
>just contacts the dime at the very bottom of bowl... there should be a
>small space at the extreme bottom portion with any implement (so
>anytime an adjustment is made check all implements), the implements are
>designed so that the distance to the bowl is greater at the sides,
>attempting to close that side gap will definitely cause *great* damage.
>

>>I believe this tip was originally given by Julia Child on one of her cooking
>>shows.
>>

>Mechanically Julia Child was an idiot too.

George Bernard Shaw

--
You wanna measure, or you wanna cook?

AlleyGator

Wayne Boatwright > wrote:

>PAY NO ATTENTION TO THE IDIOT BEHIND THE QUOTE!
>
>--
>Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Hate to say it Wayne, but I agree with Sheldon this time. In fact,
sometimes I adjust it again when I switch attachments depending on the
task at hand (which is probably anal), because the factory-set
clearance is a compromise. I'm not sure about the damage part, but
the sound of metal-on-metal doesn't make me feel comfortable. If it
seems to work for ya, go for it.

--
The Doc says my brain waves closely match those of a crazed ferret.
At least now I have an excuse.
Wayne Boatwright

On Fri 24 Jun 2005 10:29:05a, AlleyGator wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> Wayne Boatwright > wrote:
>
>>PAY NO ATTENTION TO THE IDIOT BEHIND THE QUOTE!
>>
>>--
>>Wayne Boatwright *¿*

> Hate to say it Wayne, but I agree with Sheldon this time. In fact,
> sometimes I adjust it again when I switch attachments depending on the
> task at hand (which is probably anal), because the factory-set
> clearance is a compromise. I'm not sure about the damage part, but
> the sound of metal-on-metal doesn't make me feel comfortable. If it
> seems to work for ya, go for it.

Earlier Model K5 units are NOT user adjustable. That is specifically
stated in the owner's manual. My K5 as purchsed ~1973.

I have been using the whisk in this manner for beating egg whites for well
over 20 years with no problems. Naturally, it cannot be done with the flat
beater or the dough hook, which I stated in my original post.

My machine is not out of adjustment and it passes the "dime test" with no
problem. Having said that, the whisk does a better job on egg whites if it
is in contact with the bowl.

Obviously, as with any suggestions offered, everyone is free to do whatever
the hell they want.

--
Wayne Boatwright Õ¿Õ¬

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974
AlleyGator

Wayne Boatwright > wrote:

>Earlier Model K5 units are NOT user adjustable. That is specifically
>stated in the owner's manual. My K5 as purchsed ~1973.

Sorry, I missed that part
>I have been using the whisk in this manner for beating egg whites for well
>over 20 years with no problems. Naturally, it cannot be done with the flat
>beater or the dough hook, which I stated in my original post.
>
>My machine is not out of adjustment and it passes the "dime test" with no
>problem. Having said that, the whisk does a better job on egg whites if it
>is in contact with the bowl.
>
>Obviously, as with any suggestions offered, everyone is free to do whatever
>the hell they want.

Of course - I'm not putting you down for it - in fact, it just might
be worth trying once to see what happens.

--
The Doc says my brain waves closely match those of a crazed ferret.
At least now I have an excuse.
Wayne Boatwright

On Fri 24 Jun 2005 03:22:23p, AlleyGator wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> Wayne Boatwright > wrote:
>
>>Earlier Model K5 units are NOT user adjustable. That is specifically
>>stated in the owner's manual. My K5 as purchsed ~1973.

> Sorry, I missed that part
>>I have been using the whisk in this manner for beating egg whites for
>>well over 20 years with no problems. Naturally, it cannot be done with
>>the flat beater or the dough hook, which I stated in my original post.
>>
>>My machine is not out of adjustment and it passes the "dime test" with
>>no problem. Having said that, the whisk does a better job on egg whites
>>if it is in contact with the bowl.
>>
>>Obviously, as with any suggestions offered, everyone is free to do
>>whatever the hell they want.

> Of course - I'm not putting you down for it - in fact, it just might
> be worth trying once to see what happens.

No problem... Have a great weekend!

--
Wayne Boatwright Õ¿Õ¬

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974