Tom Royer

Default Problem with Weber Grill

We have a Weber Genesis Gold gas grill (purchased new at
an auction in support of our church). The first time I used it,
it was difficult to light, but eventually started and worked fine.
The second time I used it (a couple of days later) it was
easy to light. The next time, it wouldn't light at all. When it
wouldn't light using the auto start feature, I tried to light
it manually and that was a no-go, too. It appears that no
gas is flowing from the tank to the burners. This same thing
happened last night.

Does anybody have ideas on what might be happening?

Thanks in advance.

Steve Calvin

Tom Royer wrote:
> We have a Weber Genesis Gold gas grill (purchased new at
> an auction in support of our church). The first time I used it,
> it was difficult to light, but eventually started and worked fine.
> The second time I used it (a couple of days later) it was
> easy to light. The next time, it wouldn't light at all. When it
> wouldn't light using the auto start feature, I tried to light
> it manually and that was a no-go, too. It appears that no
> gas is flowing from the tank to the burners. This same thing
> happened last night.
>
> Does anybody have ideas on what might be happening?
>
> Thanks in advance.

could be a number of problems. Ok stupid question, there *is* gas in
the tank isn't there?

If you can't light it with a match then there's no gas coming through.
Are the portholes of the burner tubes clear of any blockages?

If you're sure that there's gas and the ports are clear then call Weber.
They're there 24/7

1-800-446-1071

--
Steve
Ever notice that putting the and IRS together makes "theirs"?
Jack Sloan

"Tom Royer" > wrote in message
> We have a Weber Genesis Gold gas grill (purchased new at
> an auction in support of our church). The first time I used it,
> it was difficult to light, but eventually started and worked fine.
> The second time I used it (a couple of days later) it was
> easy to light. The next time, it wouldn't light at all. When it
> wouldn't light using the auto start feature, I tried to light
> it manually and that was a no-go, too. It appears that no
> gas is flowing from the tank to the burners. This same thing
> happened last night.
>
> Does anybody have ideas on what might be happening?
>
> Thanks in advance.

The new grills have a safety system built into them.
Turn everything off .(Turn the gas off at the bottle first)
Turn the gas on at the bottle.
turn on the gas at the burners.
If this doesn't work, turn everything off again ,wait 5 minutes and repeat
the above.
Jack

Tomas Goodlaxson

I'll second the recommendation to call Weber (800 446 1071). My
experience is that their customer service is everything I want from
customer service: patient, friendly, knowledgeable, helpful. They will
want the serial number of your grill; that's how they determine if it's
still under warranty.

Tomas

Tom Royer wrote:

>We have a Weber Genesis Gold gas grill (purchased new at
>an auction in support of our church). The first time I used it,
>it was difficult to light, but eventually started and worked fine.
>The second time I used it (a couple of days later) it was
>easy to light. The next time, it wouldn't light at all. When it
>wouldn't light using the auto start feature, I tried to light
>it manually and that was a no-go, too. It appears that no
>gas is flowing from the tank to the burners. This same thing
>happened last night.
>
>Does anybody have ideas on what might be happening?
>
>Thanks in advance.

Steve Calvin

Jack Sloan wrote:

> "Tom Royer" > wrote in message
>
>>We have a Weber Genesis Gold gas grill (purchased new at
>>an auction in support of our church). The first time I used it,
>>it was difficult to light, but eventually started and worked fine.
>>The second time I used it (a couple of days later) it was
>>easy to light. The next time, it wouldn't light at all. When it
>>wouldn't light using the auto start feature, I tried to light
>>it manually and that was a no-go, too. It appears that no
>>gas is flowing from the tank to the burners. This same thing
>>happened last night.
>>
>>Does anybody have ideas on what might be happening?
>>
>>Thanks in advance.
>>

> The new grills have a safety system built into them.
> Turn everything off .(Turn the gas off at the bottle first)
> Turn the gas on at the bottle.
> turn on the gas at the burners.
> If this doesn't work, turn everything off again ,wait 5 minutes and repeat
> the above.
> Jack

True Jack. But I believe the symptoms of that problem is that the grill
will light but only reach 200-250dF.

--
Steve
Ever notice that putting the and IRS together makes "theirs"?

Edwin Pawlowski

"Steve Calvin" > wrote in message

> True Jack. But I believe the symptoms of that problem is that the grill
> will light but only reach 200-250dF.
>
> --
> Steve

Listen to Jack. It will take you about 2 minutes to find out he is correct.
The OPD valve is restricting the gas. Hundreds, maybe thousands of people
had the same problem, especially with a full tank.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

Edwin Pawlowski

"Tomas Goodlaxson" > wrote in message
> I'll second the recommendation to call Weber (800 446 1071). My
> experience is that their customer service is everything I want from
> customer service: patient, friendly, knowledgeable, helpful. They will
> want the serial number of your grill; that's how they determine if it's
> still under warranty.
>
> Tomas

Yabut the problem was solved by Jack Sloan, He could cook his dinner in a
few minutes if he just tries that simple fix.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

Steve Calvin

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

> "Steve Calvin" > wrote in message
>

>>True Jack. But I believe the symptoms of that problem is that the grill
>>will light but only reach 200-250dF.
>>
>>--
>>Steve

> Listen to Jack. It will take you about 2 minutes to find out he is correct.
> The OPD valve is restricting the gas. Hundreds, maybe thousands of people
> had the same problem, especially with a full tank.

Well, it's certainly worth a shot. If it fixes it that'd be great. But
if I was a bettin' man, my money'd be on the other side. Can't hurt though.

--
Steve
Ever notice that putting the and IRS together makes "theirs"?
Edwin Pawlowski

"Steve Calvin" > wrote in message

> Well, it's certainly worth a shot. If it fixes it that'd be great. But if
> I was a bettin' man, my money'd be on the other side. Can't hurt though.

Went to friends for a cookout on Sunday. Same problem; same fix. I've had
it on my grill also; same fix. This has been a known problem for a few
years since the introduction of the OPD valve. Why not ask on
alt.food.barbecue and get the same answer from people that have had the same
problem.

I'd retire tomorrow if I could get enough people like you to bet on this.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

Jack Sloan

"Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote in message
. ..

> "Steve Calvin" > wrote in message
> >
> > Well, it's certainly worth a shot. If it fixes it that'd be great. But

if
> > I was a bettin' man, my money'd be on the other side. Can't hurt though.

> Went to friends for a cookout on Sunday. Same problem; same fix. I've

had
> it on my grill also; same fix. This has been a known problem for a few
> years since the introduction of the OPD valve.

A classic case of "Been there done that".
Jack

Steve Calvin

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
> "Steve Calvin" > wrote in message
>
>>Well, it's certainly worth a shot. If it fixes it that'd be great. But if
>>I was a bettin' man, my money'd be on the other side. Can't hurt though.

> Went to friends for a cookout on Sunday. Same problem; same fix. I've had
> it on my grill also; same fix. This has been a known problem for a few
> years since the introduction of the OPD valve. Why not ask on
> alt.food.barbecue and get the same answer from people that have had the same
> problem.
>
> I'd retire tomorrow if I could get enough people like you to bet on this.

Could be but I would recommend running to the bank until we hear what
the problem was. I may be the one retiring. ;-D

--
Steve
Ever notice that putting the and IRS together makes "theirs"?
Tom Royer

"Tom Royer" > wrote in message
> We have a Weber Genesis Gold gas grill (purchased new at
> an auction in support of our church). The first time I used it,
> it was difficult to light, but eventually started and worked fine.
> The second time I used it (a couple of days later) it was
> easy to light. The next time, it wouldn't light at all. When it
> wouldn't light using the auto start feature, I tried to light
> it manually and that was a no-go, too. It appears that no
> gas is flowing from the tank to the burners. This same thing
> happened last night.
>
> Does anybody have ideas on what might be happening?
>
> Thanks in advance.

Thanks for the suggestions. If I'd thought, the old addage
"RTFM" would have come up. You folks were right,
it was the safety system that had locked things up. The
user manual actually described how to "re-boot" the
grill by disconnecting the tank and then opening each
burner valve and leaving them open for a minute. After
closing the valves and reconnecting the tank, things
were fine.

Thanks again.

Steve Calvin

Tom Royer wrote:
> "Tom Royer" > wrote in message
>
>>We have a Weber Genesis Gold gas grill (purchased new at
>>an auction in support of our church). The first time I used it,
>>it was difficult to light, but eventually started and worked fine.
>>The second time I used it (a couple of days later) it was
>>easy to light. The next time, it wouldn't light at all. When it
>>wouldn't light using the auto start feature, I tried to light
>>it manually and that was a no-go, too. It appears that no
>>gas is flowing from the tank to the burners. This same thing
>>happened last night.
>>
>>Does anybody have ideas on what might be happening?
>>
>>Thanks in advance.
>>

> Thanks for the suggestions. If I'd thought, the old addage
> "RTFM" would have come up. You folks were right,
> it was the safety system that had locked things up. The
> user manual actually described how to "re-boot" the
> grill by disconnecting the tank and then opening each
> burner valve and leaving them open for a minute. After
> closing the valves and reconnecting the tank, things
> were fine.
>
> Thanks again.

ok Ed, you win. ;-)

--
Steve
Ever notice that putting the and IRS together makes "theirs"?
Edwin Pawlowski

"Steve Calvin" > wrote in message

> ok Ed, you win. ;-)
>
> --
> Steve

What did we end up betting? IIRC, it was a bottle of my favorite bourbon
wasn't it?

Steve Calvin

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
> "Steve Calvin" > wrote in message
>
>>ok Ed, you win. ;-)
>>
>>--
>>Steve

> What did we end up betting? IIRC, it was a bottle of my favorite bourbon
> wasn't it?

Well, yeah it was but I ended up <urp> drinking it. Was pretty danged
tasty too. Thanks. ;-)

--
Steve
Ever notice that putting the and IRS together makes "theirs"?

Mike Acord

The main problem is probably that it is gas, and not charcoal.
Mike Acord

Tom Royer wrote:
> We have a Weber Genesis Gold gas grill (purchased new at
> an auction in support of our church). The first time I used it,
> it was difficult to light, but eventually started and worked fine.
> The second time I used it (a couple of days later) it was
> easy to light. The next time, it wouldn't light at all. When it
> wouldn't light using the auto start feature, I tried to light
> it manually and that was a no-go, too. It appears that no
> gas is flowing from the tank to the burners. This same thing
> happened last night.
>
> Does anybody have ideas on what might be happening?
>
> Thanks in advance.

Edwin Pawlowski

> Tom Royer wrote:
>> We have a Weber Genesis Gold gas grill (purchased new at
>> an auction in support of our church). The first time I used it,
>> it was difficult to light, but eventually started and worked fine.
>> The second time I used it (a couple of days later) it was
>> easy to light. The next time, it wouldn't light at all. When it
>> wouldn't light using the auto start feature, I tried to light
>> it manually and that was a no-go, too. It appears that no
>> gas is flowing from the tank to the burners. This same thing
>> happened last night.

Two possibilities but you narrowed it down to gas. The tank has an OPD.
(overfill protection device) that tends to cause problem when the gas is
turned on too fast on a full tank. It blocks the flow. Shut everything
off, wait a few seconds, then slowly open the gas valve again. Some grills
warn of this in the manual. Once the liquid level in the tank goes down a
bit this won't happen again as the float level will be down a bit. .
Others have reported having to bang on the tank to get the OPD to release
but that is rare.

If you don't have one already, get a spare tank so you don't run out in the
middle of cooking dinner.

If the air is very humid, the sparkers on some grills just don't work as
well and the lack of good arc fails to ignite the gas.