Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Weber Grill?

Considering purchasing one. They have some right now at the local HEB
and they are not expensive.

I have a New Braunfels smoker, but it's a PITA to use it for grilling...

Opinions? They are not that expensive and assembly is easier than what I
went thru before. <G> Plus it'd be easier to keep clean and I won't have
to worry about the expense of replacing it when the bottom burns out of
it.

Thanks!
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"OmManiPadmeOmelet" > wrote in message
news
> Considering purchasing one. They have some right now at the local HEB
> and they are not expensive.
>
> I have a New Braunfels smoker, but it's a PITA to use it for grilling...
>
> Opinions? They are not that expensive and assembly is easier than what I
> went thru before. <G> Plus it'd be easier to keep clean and I won't have
> to worry about the expense of replacing it when the bottom burns out of
> it.
>
> Thanks!
> --
> Peace!
> Om

You didn't say whether you're looking at a charcoal grill, or gas. But
anyway - I've had a 22" Weber charcoal grill for 2 years and I love it. The
coals sit on a lower grating, so I don't see much potential for the bottom
burning out, and the grating itself is quite thick. Between the adjustable
upper & lower vents, there's quite a bit of temp control possible. I've
roasted whole turkeys for the last two Thanksgivings, and able to maintain a
nice steady 350 degrees, with outside temps in the 30s.

Hint: Forget charcoal lighter fluid. Weber makes a chimney starter that's
terrific (3rd item down at this link)
http://www.weber.com/bbq/pub/grill/a.../chargear.aspx

You put charcoal in the top, a couple of sheets of newspaper in the bottom,
and 97% of the time, you're in business. If the wind's crazy, I sometime
park the big rolling trash can so it blocks the wind. From that point, it
takes about as long for the coals to be ready as if I used fluid.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> [snip]
> Opinions? They are not that expensive and assembly is easier than what I
> went thru before. <G> Plus it'd be easier to keep clean and I won't have
> to worry about the expense of replacing it when the bottom burns out of
> it.

IMHO they are the leader for a reason. Design that actually works as
intended, good quality in materials and construction. If you know the
size and features you want I think choosing a Weber is a no-brainer.
-aem

Posted to rec.food.cooking

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> Considering purchasing one. They have some right now at the local HEB
> and they are not expensive.
>
> I have a New Braunfels smoker, but it's a PITA to use it for grilling...
>
> Opinions? They are not that expensive and assembly is easier than what I
> went thru before. <G> Plus it'd be easier to keep clean and I won't have
> to worry about the expense of replacing it when the bottom burns out of
> it.
>
> Thanks!
> --
> Peace!
> Om
>
> "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a Son of a bitch"
> -- Jack Nicholson

Don't buy the cheapest model. The legs tend to fall off when you move
it around. Also, get one with a hinged lid. I had one with a loose lid.
It is a PITA every time you open it to have to find a place to set that
huge lid. It has a hook to hang on the side of the BBQ, but its still a
PITA. A hinged lid model is much easier to use.

Get one of these type charcoal starters: (They are less than $ 10.00 at
Walmart).

http://gode-opskrifter.dk/grill/starter.jpg

Two sheets of newspaper are all thats needed to start the charcoal
briquettes. No messing with lighter fluid, etc.

Other than that, the Weber make great BBQ food.

Rusty

Posted to rec.food.cooking

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> Considering purchasing one. They have some right now at the local HEB
> and they are not expensive.

I am assuming you mean the charcoal "kettle-type" grill? If so, I would
say go for it... very popular here, and they last for quite a few years.
And they are pretty easy to clean. You can "roast" a whole chicken on
them too, or do ribs, etc. etc.

(I haven't tried their gas grills, though....)

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"JoeSpareBedroom" > wrote:

> "OmManiPadmeOmelet" > wrote in message
> news
> > Considering purchasing one. They have some right now at the local HEB
> > and they are not expensive.
> >
> > I have a New Braunfels smoker, but it's a PITA to use it for grilling...
> >
> > Opinions? They are not that expensive and assembly is easier than what I
> > went thru before. <G> Plus it'd be easier to keep clean and I won't have
> > to worry about the expense of replacing it when the bottom burns out of
> > it.
> >
> > Thanks!
> > --
> > Peace!
> > Om

> You didn't say whether you're looking at a charcoal grill, or gas.

Wood/Charcoal. ;-)
I don't do gas grills but thanks for asking.
I did not think of that.

> But
> anyway - I've had a 22" Weber charcoal grill for 2 years and I love it. The
> coals sit on a lower grating, so I don't see much potential for the bottom
> burning out, and the grating itself is quite thick.

Cool! We had that problem with our last BBQ. It was one made from an Oil
Barrel. My New Braunfels smoker is considerably thicker and the fire box
has an extra plate and a grill for holding wood or coals off the bottom.
It's just so small for grilling.

> Between the adjustable
> upper & lower vents, there's quite a bit of temp control possible. I've
> roasted whole turkeys for the last two Thanksgivings, and able to maintain a
> nice steady 350 degrees, with outside temps in the 30s.

Awesome. :-) So you use a temp gauge. Do you use a meat thermometer?

> Hint: Forget charcoal lighter fluid. Weber makes a chimney starter that's
> terrific (3rd item down at this link)
> http://www.weber.com/bbq/pub/grill/a.../chargear.aspx

My brother in law has one of those..... I've always used lamp
oil/Kerosine if my wood needed help (damp wood). Otherwise I just used
newspaper. Thanks for the hint tho'. I ought to invest in one of those
for using _real_ charcoal, and not briquets.

Website bookmarked, thank you!

> You put charcoal in the top, a couple of sheets of newspaper in the bottom,
> and 97% of the time, you're in business. If the wind's crazy, I sometime
> park the big rolling trash can so it blocks the wind. From that point, it
> takes about as long for the coals to be ready as if I used fluid.

Indeed... :-)

Mom and dad taught me to use newspaper as wood/charcoal starter. Works
nearly 100% of the time.

If you are boondocking, use dry grass or very, very small kindling
sticks for starting pit campfires. :-)

I dislike the flavor/smell of starter fluid if it does not all burn off.
It's also expensive!
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article . com>,
"aem" > wrote:

> OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> > [snip]
> > Opinions? They are not that expensive and assembly is easier than what I
> > went thru before. <G> Plus it'd be easier to keep clean and I won't have
> > to worry about the expense of replacing it when the bottom burns out of
> > it.

> IMHO they are the leader for a reason. Design that actually works as
> intended, good quality in materials and construction. If you know the
> size and features you want I think choosing a Weber is a no-brainer.
> -aem

Cool... It'll be on my list of "things to do" next week then.

It's fairly small which is not a bad thing. Eyeballing it, it looks to
be about 24" across or so, maybe slightly larger.
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article .com>,
"Rusty" > wrote:

> OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> > Considering purchasing one. They have some right now at the local HEB
> > and they are not expensive.
> >
> > I have a New Braunfels smoker, but it's a PITA to use it for grilling...
> >
> > Opinions? They are not that expensive and assembly is easier than what I
> > went thru before. <G> Plus it'd be easier to keep clean and I won't have
> > to worry about the expense of replacing it when the bottom burns out of
> > it.
> >
> > Thanks!
> > --
> > Peace!
> > Om
> >
> > "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a Son of a bitch"
> > -- Jack Nicholson

> Don't buy the cheapest model. The legs tend to fall off when you move
> it around. Also, get one with a hinged lid. I had one with a loose lid.
> It is a PITA every time you open it to have to find a place to set that
> huge lid. It has a hook to hang on the side of the BBQ, but its still a
> PITA. A hinged lid model is much easier to use.
>
> Get one of these type charcoal starters: (They are less than $ 10.00 at
> Walmart).
>
> http://gode-opskrifter.dk/grill/starter.jpg
>
> Two sheets of newspaper are all thats needed to start the charcoal
> briquettes. No messing with lighter fluid, etc.
>
> Other than that, the Weber make great BBQ food.
>

> Rusty

Thanks!
Good hint... I'll have to see what one this is. I don't think it has the
hinged lid. I might wait a bit then and look for one.
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Chatty Cathy > wrote:

> OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> > Considering purchasing one. They have some right now at the local HEB
> > and they are not expensive.

> I am assuming you mean the charcoal "kettle-type" grill? If so, I would
> say go for it... very popular here, and they last for quite a few years.
> And they are pretty easy to clean. You can "roast" a whole chicken on
> them too, or do ribs, etc. etc.
>
> (I haven't tried their gas grills, though....)

Yes ma'am. Just a plain wood/charcoal grill.

I've never been into the gas grill thing.

Not yet anyway. <G>
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson
Posted to rec.food.cooking

OmManiPadmeOmelet, after taking an infinite amount of time, finally, on
15 Aug 2006, typed out:

> Considering purchasing one. They have some right now at the local HEB
> and they are not expensive.
>
> I have a New Braunfels smoker, but it's a PITA to use it for

grilling...

> Opinions? They are not that expensive and assembly is easier than what

> went thru before. <G> Plus it'd be easier to keep clean and I won't

have
> to worry about the expense of replacing it when the bottom burns out of
> it.
>
> Thanks!

I looked at the website and the 22.5" kettle can accommodate a motorized
rotisserie if that's up your alley.

But no matter, it's Made in America!

Andy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2006-08-15, OmManiPadmeOmelet > wrote:
> Considering purchasing one. They have some right now at the local HEB
> and they are not expensive.

Actually, compared to other brands, Weber's are quite expensive. They
typically cost at least twice, and sometimes triple, what similar
units sell for. OTOH, there's good reason. Weber is an outstanding
company and takes good care of its American workers. High quality
materials, a good living wage, and amazingly generous benefits all
make for a loyal and dedicated workforce and an uncompromising
product. As usual, you get what you pay for.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote:
> On 2006-08-15, OmManiPadmeOmelet > wrote:
> > Considering purchasing one. They have some right now at the local HEB
> > and they are not expensive.

> Actually, compared to other brands, Weber's are quite expensive. They
> typically cost at least twice, and sometimes triple, what similar
> units sell for. OTOH, there's good reason. Weber is an outstanding
> company and takes good care of its American workers. High quality
> materials, a good living wage, and amazingly generous benefits all
> make for a loyal and dedicated workforce and an uncompromising
> product. As usual, you get what you pay for.
>
> nb

Even if they cost a little more, it's worth it..Only problem I have had
is the bottom grill that the charcoal sits on warped. Still worked
fine- just had to balance the charcoal chimney. I always burn stuff on
a gas grill, so I stick with the tried and true.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"OmManiPadmeOmelet" > wrote in message
news
> In article >,
> "JoeSpareBedroom" > wrote:
>
>> "OmManiPadmeOmelet" > wrote in message
>> news
>> > Considering purchasing one. They have some right now at the local HEB
>> > and they are not expensive.
>> >
>> > I have a New Braunfels smoker, but it's a PITA to use it for
>> > grilling...
>> >
>> > Opinions? They are not that expensive and assembly is easier than what
>> > went thru before. <G> Plus it'd be easier to keep clean and I won't
>> > have
>> > to worry about the expense of replacing it when the bottom burns out of
>> > it.
>> >
>> > Thanks!
>> > --
>> > Peace!
>> > Om

>> You didn't say whether you're looking at a charcoal grill, or gas.

> Wood/Charcoal. ;-)
> I don't do gas grills but thanks for asking.
> I did not think of that.
>
>> But
>> anyway - I've had a 22" Weber charcoal grill for 2 years and I love it.
>> The
>> coals sit on a lower grating, so I don't see much potential for the
>> bottom
>> burning out, and the grating itself is quite thick.

> Cool! We had that problem with our last BBQ. It was one made from an Oil
> Barrel. My New Braunfels smoker is considerably thicker and the fire box
> has an extra plate and a grill for holding wood or coals off the bottom.
> It's just so small for grilling.

I read somewhere that if ashes get wet, they can speed the deterioration of
metal. Just a tip, in case it's about to rain just when you finish grilling.
Close the top vents, or roll the BBQ under cover if you can.

>> Between the adjustable
>> upper & lower vents, there's quite a bit of temp control possible. I've
>> roasted whole turkeys for the last two Thanksgivings, and able to
>> maintain a
>> nice steady 350 degrees, with outside temps in the 30s.

> Awesome. :-) So you use a temp gauge. Do you use a meat thermometer?

No. I have bionic friggin' eyes that can measure surface & interior
temperatures of any object within 1/2 a degree.

>> Hint: Forget charcoal lighter fluid. Weber makes a chimney starter that's
>> terrific (3rd item down at this link)
>> http://www.weber.com/bbq/pub/grill/a.../chargear.aspx

> My brother in law has one of those..... I've always used lamp
> oil/Kerosine if my wood needed help (damp wood). Otherwise I just used
> newspaper. Thanks for the hint tho'. I ought to invest in one of those
> for using _real_ charcoal, and not briquets.
>
> Website bookmarked, thank you!

It's nuts not to own one. The worst price I've seen around here is about
$12.00.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
notbob > wrote:

> On 2006-08-15, OmManiPadmeOmelet > wrote:
> > Considering purchasing one. They have some right now at the local HEB
> > and they are not expensive.

> Actually, compared to other brands, Weber's are quite expensive. They
> typically cost at least twice, and sometimes triple, what similar
> units sell for. OTOH, there's good reason. Weber is an outstanding
> company and takes good care of its American workers. High quality
> materials, a good living wage, and amazingly generous benefits all
> make for a loyal and dedicated workforce and an uncompromising
> product. As usual, you get what you pay for.
>
> nb

I'm okay with the price...

I've priced cheaper grills and they are just that.

Cheap.

POS's. <G>

Thanks!
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> I have a New Braunfels smoker, but it's a PITA to use it for grilling...
>
> Opinions? They are not that expensive and assembly is easier than what I
> went thru before. <G> Plus it'd be easier to keep clean and I won't have
> to worry about the expense of replacing it when the bottom burns out of
> it.
>
> Thanks!
> --
> Peace!
> Om

Just a thought Om,

There is a ceramic grill, smoker, BBQ called the Big Green Egg that is
available out there. Unfortunately somewhat pricey, but highly durable and
nice!

Every year in Austin (in the Spring) on Lake Travis something called an
"Eggfest" is held and you can purchase a gently used BGE for a very good
price. They come in four different sizes.

Chris

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"OmManiPadmeOmelet" > wrote

> notbob > wrote:

>> Actually, compared to other brands, Weber's are quite expensive. They
>> typically cost at least twice, and sometimes triple, what similar
>> units sell for. OTOH, there's good reason. Weber is an outstanding
>> company and takes good care of its American workers. High quality
>> materials, a good living wage, and amazingly generous benefits all
>> make for a loyal and dedicated workforce and an uncompromising
>> product. As usual, you get what you pay for.

> I'm okay with the price...
>
> I've priced cheaper grills and they are just that.
>
> Cheap.
>
> POS's. <G>

Exactly. They are only cheap (pricewise) at first, you pay more
when you wind up buying another one in 3 years. I'm very
impressed with my Weber (gas) and I would stick with them
just for the reasons nb stated. Let's hope they keep it up.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

aem wrote:

> OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> > [snip]
> > Opinions? They are not that expensive and assembly is easier than
> > what I went thru before. <G> Plus it'd be easier to keep clean and
> > I won't have to worry about the expense of replacing it when the
> > bottom burns out of it.

> IMHO they are the leader for a reason. Design that actually works as
> intended, good quality in materials and construction.

They're built like tanks.

> If you know the
> size and features you want I think choosing a Weber is a no-brainer.

Add in good prices and exemplary customer service.

I have the 22" Silver charcoal grill, that's in the $80-$90 range. The
only real problem with that is small disc-style ash catcher. I removed
that and substituted a large galvanized bucket that sits on the rack.
You can move up in cost to the Gold ones with the integrated
ash-catching container, but I'm cheap.

Brian

won't shut up.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Chris Marksberry" > wrote:

> > I have a New Braunfels smoker, but it's a PITA to use it for grilling...
> >
> > Opinions? They are not that expensive and assembly is easier than what I
> > went thru before. <G> Plus it'd be easier to keep clean and I won't have
> > to worry about the expense of replacing it when the bottom burns out of
> > it.
> >
> > Thanks!
> > --
> > Peace!
> > Om

> Just a thought Om,
>
> There is a ceramic grill, smoker, BBQ called the Big Green Egg that is
> available out there. Unfortunately somewhat pricey, but highly durable and
> nice!
>
> Every year in Austin (in the Spring) on Lake Travis something called an
> "Eggfest" is held and you can purchase a gently used BGE for a very good
> price. They come in four different sizes.
>
> Chris

Mm, sounds nice, but not sure I'd want ceramic. ;-)
This would have to stay outdoors.
Around the Border Collie.....

and the occasional hail storm.

Thanks anyhoo!
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"JoeSpareBedroom" > wrote:

> I read somewhere that if ashes get wet, they can speed the deterioration of
> metal. Just a tip, in case it's about to rain just when you finish grilling.
> Close the top vents, or roll the BBQ under cover if you can.

I'd cover it.
Ashes and water make Lye...
Old soap making secret.<G>

Sodium hydroxide is rather corrosive.

I already knew this but thanks for the tip.

> >> Hint: Forget charcoal lighter fluid. Weber makes a chimney starter that's
> >> terrific (3rd item down at this link)
> >> http://www.weber.com/bbq/pub/grill/a.../chargear.aspx

> > My brother in law has one of those..... I've always used lamp
> > oil/Kerosine if my wood needed help (damp wood). Otherwise I just used
> > newspaper. Thanks for the hint tho'. I ought to invest in one of those
> > for using _real_ charcoal, and not briquets.
> >
> > Website bookmarked, thank you!

> It's nuts not to own one. The worst price I've seen around here is about
> $12.00.

I've never used one but I watched Chas use his.
It's been on my "to do" list for awhile now.
"real" charcoal is more difficult to light than briquettes.
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article 1>,
"Michael \"Dog3\" Lonergan" > wrote:

> I love my Weber. It uses charcoal and is very easy to use. I also have a
> big gas grill. I mostly use the Weber for small meals like burgers, brats,
> etc. Sometimes I'll put a couple of steaks on the Weber. I use the gas
> grill a lot for parties and I use it quite often in the winter months. I
> usually soak some kind of wood chips to use with it to give the grilled
> food a different taste.
>
> Michael

I'm mainly considering one for quick fires for cooking pork and beef
steaks.

Thanks. ;-)
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Nancy Young" > wrote:

> "OmManiPadmeOmelet" > wrote
>
> > notbob > wrote:

> >> Actually, compared to other brands, Weber's are quite expensive. They
> >> typically cost at least twice, and sometimes triple, what similar
> >> units sell for. OTOH, there's good reason. Weber is an outstanding
> >> company and takes good care of its American workers. High quality
> >> materials, a good living wage, and amazingly generous benefits all
> >> make for a loyal and dedicated workforce and an uncompromising
> >> product. As usual, you get what you pay for.

> > I'm okay with the price...
> >
> > I've priced cheaper grills and they are just that.
> >
> > Cheap.
> >
> > POS's. <G>

> Exactly. They are only cheap (pricewise) at first, you pay more
> when you wind up buying another one in 3 years. I'm very
> impressed with my Weber (gas) and I would stick with them
> just for the reasons nb stated. Let's hope they keep it up.
>
> nancy

If I want cheap, the local store has disposable Hibachis. <G>
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Default User" > wrote:

> Brian
>
> --
> If televison's a babysitter, the Internet is a drunk librarian who
> won't shut up.
> -- Dorothy Gambrell (http://catandgirl.com)

Love that quote. <lol>
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"OmManiPadmeOmelet" > wrote in message
news
> In article >,
> "JoeSpareBedroom" > wrote:
>
>> I read somewhere that if ashes get wet, they can speed the deterioration
>> of
>> metal. Just a tip, in case it's about to rain just when you finish
>> grilling.
>> Close the top vents, or roll the BBQ under cover if you can.
>>

> I'd cover it.
> Ashes and water make Lye...
> Old soap making secret.<G>
>
> Sodium hydroxide is rather corrosive.
>
> I already knew this but thanks for the tip.

>> > My brother in law has one of those..... I've always used lamp
>> > oil/Kerosine if my wood needed help (damp wood). Otherwise I just used
>> > newspaper. Thanks for the hint tho'. I ought to invest in one of those
>> > for using _real_ charcoal, and not briquets.
>> >
>> > Website bookmarked, thank you!

>> It's nuts not to own one. The worst price I've seen around here is about
>> $12.00.

> I've never used one but I watched Chas use his.
> It's been on my "to do" list for awhile now.
> "real" charcoal is more difficult to light than briquettes.
> --
> Peace!
> Om

I recently discovered something interesting. I'd always bought Kingsford
charcoal because it starts faster than the store brand (Wegman's), which
sometimes took 2-3 visits with the newspaper to get it going. But, one day,
the store was out of Kingsford and I needed charcoal NOW, so I bought the
store brand. The fire lasted almost 2 hours longer, so I didn't need to keep
adding new charcoal during a 3 hour cooking adventure.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

> Hint: Forget charcoal lighter fluid. Weber makes a chimney starter that's
> terrific (3rd item down at this link)
> http://www.weber.com/bbq/pub/grill/a.../chargear.aspx
>
> You put charcoal in the top, a couple of sheets of newspaper in the bottom,
> and 97% of the time, you're in business. If the wind's crazy, I sometime
> park the big rolling trash can so it blocks the wind. From that point, it
> takes about as long for the coals to be ready as if I used fluid.

Only ignorant slobs still use lighter fluid. Another hint: grocery
stores sometimes run chimeys in their ads for half price. I think I
only paid $5.99 for my last one.

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> > > went thru before. <G> Plus it'd be easier to keep clean and I won't

have
> > > to worry about the expense of replacing it when the bottom burns out

of
> > > it.
> > >
> > > Thanks!
> > > --
> > > Peace!
> > > Om

> > Just a thought Om,
> >
> > There is a ceramic grill, smoker, BBQ called the Big Green Egg that is
> > available out there. Unfortunately somewhat pricey, but highly durable

and
> > nice!
> >
> > Every year in Austin (in the Spring) on Lake Travis something called an
> > "Eggfest" is held and you can purchase a gently used BGE for a very good
> > price. They come in four different sizes.
> >
> > Chris

> Mm, sounds nice, but not sure I'd want ceramic. ;-)
> This would have to stay outdoors.
> Around the Border Collie.....
>
> and the occasional hail storm.
>
> Thanks anyhoo!

Om,

Are you kidding me? <g> Hey, the Big Green Egg wards off not only hail
storms, but also hurricanes which is a very good thing! These are for
outside use only (that is unless you want something inside that goes up to
1000 degrees F +).

Here's a picture of the BGE family... since this photo was taken an extra
large egg has been added. You can see it looks like you have a giant
avocado in your backyard... interesting conversation piece as well.

http://www.biggreenegg.com/photo4.htm

Chris

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"JoeSpareBedroom" > wrote:

> I recently discovered something interesting. I'd always bought Kingsford
> charcoal because it starts faster than the store brand (Wegman's), which
> sometimes took 2-3 visits with the newspaper to get it going. But, one day,
> the store was out of Kingsford and I needed charcoal NOW, so I bought the
> store brand. The fire lasted almost 2 hours longer, so I didn't need to keep
> adding new charcoal during a 3 hour cooking adventure.

Briquettes?

Yeah, I know what you mean...
I have used briquettes when I did not have wood available or just wanted
a quick fire, so just bought the store brand from HEB. They make a
remarkably hot fire that lasts quite awhile, but a good hot fire made
from seasoned wood lasts the longest for me.

Hours.......

To the point where I'd drag more stuff out of the freezer so I did not
waste those gorgeous coals. :-)

Pecan, oak or mesquite logs.
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson
Posted to rec.food.cooking

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:

> In article >,
> "Default User" > wrote:
>
> > Brian
> >
> > --
> > If televison's a babysitter, the Internet is a drunk librarian who
> > won't shut up.
> > -- Dorothy Gambrell (http://catandgirl.com)

> Love that quote. <lol>

She should send me money for all the free publicity.

Brian

won't shut up.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article . com>,
"Food Snob" > wrote:

> JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
> >

> > Hint: Forget charcoal lighter fluid. Weber makes a chimney starter that's
> > terrific (3rd item down at this link)
> > http://www.weber.com/bbq/pub/grill/a.../chargear.aspx
> >
> > You put charcoal in the top, a couple of sheets of newspaper in the bottom,
> > and 97% of the time, you're in business. If the wind's crazy, I sometime
> > park the big rolling trash can so it blocks the wind. From that point, it
> > takes about as long for the coals to be ready as if I used fluid.

> Only ignorant slobs still use lighter fluid. Another hint: grocery
> stores sometimes run chimeys in their ads for half price. I think I
> only paid $5.99 for my last one.
>
> --Bryan

<tsk> Okay, I never use lighter fluid, but I _have_ in desperation used
Kerosine on _damp_ wood!

Not using charcoal but a good hot, long lasting wood fire and it rained
the day before so the damned woodpile was wet!

Dries out quickly enough if you use the lower layers from the pile but
it takes more than paper to get it going, and even small logs are not
going to fit inside one of those chimney starters.
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson
Posted to rec.food.cooking

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:

> In article 1>,
> "Michael \"Dog3\" Lonergan" > wrote:
>
> > I love my Weber. It uses charcoal and is very easy to use. I also
> > have a big gas grill. I mostly use the Weber for small meals like
> > burgers, brats, etc. Sometimes I'll put a couple of steaks on the
> > Weber. I use the gas grill a lot for parties and I use it quite
> > often in the winter months. I usually soak some kind of wood chips
> > to use with it to give the grilled food a different taste.
> >
> > Michael

> I'm mainly considering one for quick fires for cooking pork and beef
> steaks.

These days, I use mine primarily for whole chickens. I have the
charcoal baskets that fit the 22, that makes it easy to have an
indirect fire. Run it with all the vents open for higher heat. Nice
crispy skin.

Brian
won't shut up.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Chris Marksberry" > wrote:

> Om,
>
> Are you kidding me? <g> Hey, the Big Green Egg wards off not only hail
> storms, but also hurricanes which is a very good thing! These are for
> outside use only (that is unless you want something inside that goes up to
> 1000 degrees F +).
>
> Here's a picture of the BGE family... since this photo was taken an extra
> large egg has been added. You can see it looks like you have a giant
> avocado in your backyard... interesting conversation piece as well.
>
> http://www.biggreenegg.com/photo4.htm
>
> Chris

Oh! Ok. :-)

I've never seen one of those.....

Learn something new every day.

I was thinking one of those mexican ovens or something when you said
ceramic. <G>

My bad, thanks!
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson

Posted to rec.food.cooking

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> Considering purchasing one. They have some right now at the local HEB
> and they are not expensive.

I've had an 18 inch Weber for three or four years and have been
completely happy with it. If you do buy one, pick up a divider. It's
like a low rib rack but it goes on the bottom where the charcoal goes.
It divides the charcoal area into adjustable sections and allows you to
use indirect heat if you're cooking chicken or something that requires
it. I'm pretty sure I had to buy mine seperately, and as far as I know,
they're still not included with the grill, but ask, by all means. And
happy grilling.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Food Snob" > wrote in message
ups.com...

> JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
>>

>> Hint: Forget charcoal lighter fluid. Weber makes a chimney starter that's
>> terrific (3rd item down at this link)
>> http://www.weber.com/bbq/pub/grill/a.../chargear.aspx
>>
>> You put charcoal in the top, a couple of sheets of newspaper in the
>> bottom,
>> and 97% of the time, you're in business. If the wind's crazy, I sometime
>> park the big rolling trash can so it blocks the wind. From that point, it
>> takes about as long for the coals to be ready as if I used fluid.

> Only ignorant slobs still use lighter fluid. Another hint: grocery
> stores sometimes run chimeys in their ads for half price. I think I
> only paid $5.99 for my last one.
>
> --Bryan

In NY State campgrounds, the same ignorant slobs also use plastic plates to
start their fires, thinking that the aroma is perfect for their outdoor
experience. If only silencers were not illegal....sob...... :-(

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I agree the Weber is an above-average charcoal grill,
in part because it is possible (due to its shape) to
engage in indirect cooking with some smoke infusion --
since the OP already owns a smoker, this last feature
may not be that important for them.

When I bought mine, it was well worth paying a little
extra for the "One Touch" feature, which is a handle
for controlling the bottom vents. I did not get the
hinged lid. The minimum usable diameter is 18" and
22" is better.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Default User" > wrote:

> OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
>
> > In article 1>,
> > "Michael \"Dog3\" Lonergan" > wrote:
> >
> > > I love my Weber. It uses charcoal and is very easy to use. I also
> > > have a big gas grill. I mostly use the Weber for small meals like
> > > burgers, brats, etc. Sometimes I'll put a couple of steaks on the
> > > Weber. I use the gas grill a lot for parties and I use it quite
> > > often in the winter months. I usually soak some kind of wood chips
> > > to use with it to give the grilled food a different taste.
> > >
> > > Michael

> > I'm mainly considering one for quick fires for cooking pork and beef
> > steaks.

> These days, I use mine primarily for whole chickens. I have the
> charcoal baskets that fit the 22, that makes it easy to have an
> indirect fire. Run it with all the vents open for higher heat. Nice
> crispy skin.
>

> Brian

I'll remember that hint when I get one. :-)
Are you spatchcocking?

Nevermind...... you said _whole_ chickens!

How does the breast meat turn out?
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article .com>,
"Christopher Helms" > wrote:

> OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> > Considering purchasing one. They have some right now at the local HEB
> > and they are not expensive.

> I've had an 18 inch Weber for three or four years and have been
> completely happy with it. If you do buy one, pick up a divider. It's
> like a low rib rack but it goes on the bottom where the charcoal goes.
> It divides the charcoal area into adjustable sections and allows you to
> use indirect heat if you're cooking chicken or something that requires
> it. I'm pretty sure I had to buy mine seperately, and as far as I know,
> they're still not included with the grill, but ask, by all means. And
> happy grilling.

Mm, okay. That sounds interesting...

but I do have the New Braunfels smoker so if I want indirect heat, I can
just use that. :-)

It has the fire box on one end with the large main smoker chamber. I can
adjust the heat depending on where I put the meat.

I've roasted whole young emu in there and have added some metal trays on
bricks for when I wanted to use the main chamber for grilling, but
that's what is such a pain, and why I was interested in the Weber.

Thanks!
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"JoeSpareBedroom" > wrote:

> "Food Snob" > wrote in message
> ups.com...
> >
> > JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
> >>

> >> Hint: Forget charcoal lighter fluid. Weber makes a chimney starter that's
> >> terrific (3rd item down at this link)
> >> http://www.weber.com/bbq/pub/grill/a.../chargear.aspx
> >>
> >> You put charcoal in the top, a couple of sheets of newspaper in the
> >> bottom,
> >> and 97% of the time, you're in business. If the wind's crazy, I sometime
> >> park the big rolling trash can so it blocks the wind. From that point, it
> >> takes about as long for the coals to be ready as if I used fluid.

> > Only ignorant slobs still use lighter fluid. Another hint: grocery
> > stores sometimes run chimeys in their ads for half price. I think I
> > only paid $5.99 for my last one.
> >
> > --Bryan
> >

> In NY State campgrounds, the same ignorant slobs also use plastic plates to
> start their fires, thinking that the aroma is perfect for their outdoor
> experience. If only silencers were not illegal....sob...... :-(

Oh <gag>!!!!!!!
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"OmManiPadmeOmelet" > wrote in message
news
> In article >,
> "JoeSpareBedroom" > wrote:
>
>> "Food Snob" > wrote in message
>> ups.com...

>> > Only ignorant slobs still use lighter fluid. Another hint: grocery
>> > stores sometimes run chimeys in their ads for half price. I think I
>> > only paid $5.99 for my last one.
>> >
>> > --Bryan
>> >

>> In NY State campgrounds, the same ignorant slobs also use plastic plates
>> start their fires, thinking that the aroma is perfect for their outdoor
>> experience. If only silencers were not illegal....sob...... :-(

> Oh <gag>!!!!!!!

Gag what? The burning plastic? Or the idea of murdering the fools?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Steve Wertz > wrote:

> On Tue, 15 Aug 2006 11:10:36 -0500, OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
>
> > Considering purchasing one. They have some right now at the local HEB
> > and they are not expensive.

> A couple weeks ago they were giving away $35 worth of food with
> the purchase of the $65 model.
>
> -sw

<lol> Might need to wait for another sale eh? ;-)

Problem is, 1/2 of the food they are usually "giving away" is crap that
I won't eat... Soda pop, white bread buns, Chips, pastries, etc.

<shudder>

It's the main reason I seldom, if ever, take advantage of their "meal
deals".

Unless it's fresh meat and fresh or canned "no salt" veggies, I'm not
eating it...

The few times that dad has, I end up giving that garbage away, so I'm
not saving any money.

This week was actually pretty good. Salad makings were free with the
purchase of some pre-prepared fish for grilling.

But it was LOADED with salt! <sigh>

I did not get it........
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"JoeSpareBedroom" > wrote:

> >> In NY State campgrounds, the same ignorant slobs also use plastic plates
> >> start their fires, thinking that the aroma is perfect for their outdoor
> >> experience. If only silencers were not illegal....sob...... :-(

> > Oh <gag>!!!!!!!

> Gag what? The burning plastic? Or the idea of murdering the fools?

<lol> The smell/taste of burning plastic... ;-)

I've been on my share of camping trips where morons burn _all_ their
trash for entertainment purposes!
--
Peace!
Om