jmk

Default George Foreman Grill

I have been thinking of getting myself a new kitchen gadget and I was
wondering what you thought of the George Foreman grills? We do not have
an indoor grill but I was thinking that this might be something that we
would enjoy. I was looking at the "next grilleration" model that has
removeable plates (dishwasher safe) -- the GRP99. Thoughts?
--
jmk in NC
Elaine

I use mine for hamburgers and steaks. I have the new removeable dishwasher
safe one now and it is easier to clean. I mostly do it in the sink but that
is still easier than wiping and wiping the older kinds.

Elaine

"jmk" > wrote in message
>I have been thinking of getting myself a new kitchen gadget and I was
>wondering what you thought of the George Foreman grills? We do not have an
>indoor grill but I was thinking that this might be something that we would
>enjoy. I was looking at the "next grilleration" model that has removeable
>plates (dishwasher safe) -- the GRP99. Thoughts?
> --
> jmk in NC

Donald Tsang

In article >, jmk > wrote:
>I have been thinking of getting myself a new kitchen gadget and I was
>wondering what you thought of the George Foreman grills?

We have a "family-sized" one, and we don't use it very much right
now, but when we were having people over more often (before we had
our daughter), it was quite useful for making chicken skewers (think
"satay", not "shish-kebab"). Marinate some fairly-thinly-sliced
chicken thigh meat for a few hours (figure something like 1/4" x
1" x 3" pieces) in perhaps soy sauce, white wine, black pepper, and
some cornstarch, skewer, and grill for 2-3 minutes (I think -- but
I can't remember exactly; try it, see if it's cooked all the way
through, and put it back if it isn't). Peanut sauce (peanut butter,
garlic, sesame oil, a little soy sauce, and optionally dried chili
flakes) on the side for people who like that...

Donald
Donald Tsang

In article >, jmk > wrote:
>I have been thinking of getting myself a new kitchen gadget and I was
>wondering what you thought of the George Foreman grills?

We have a "family-sized" one, and we don't use it very much right
now, but when we were having people over more often (before we had
our daughter), it was quite useful for making chicken skewers (think
"satay", not "shish-kebab"). Marinate some fairly-thinly-sliced
chicken thigh meat for a few hours (figure something like 1/4" x
1" x 3" pieces) in perhaps soy sauce, white wine, black pepper, and
some cornstarch, skewer, and grill for 2-3 minutes (I think -- but
I can't remember exactly; try it, see if it's cooked all the way
through, and put it back if it isn't). Peanut sauce (peanut butter,
garlic, sesame oil, a little soy sauce, and optionally dried chili
flakes) on the side for people who like that...

Donald
jmk

Thanks for the useful information! I appreciate it!

--
jmk in NC

jmk

--
jmk in NC
jmk

On 3/18/2005 12:07 AM, Donald Tsang wrote:
> In article >, jmk > wrote:
>
>>I have been thinking of getting myself a new kitchen gadget and I was
>>wondering what you thought of the George Foreman grills?

> We have a "family-sized" one, and we don't use it very much right
> now, but when we were having people over more often (before we had
> our daughter), it was quite useful for making chicken skewers (think
> "satay", not "shish-kebab"). Marinate some fairly-thinly-sliced
> chicken thigh meat for a few hours (figure something like 1/4" x
> 1" x 3" pieces) in perhaps soy sauce, white wine, black pepper, and
> some cornstarch, skewer, and grill for 2-3 minutes (I think -- but
> I can't remember exactly; try it, see if it's cooked all the way
> through, and put it back if it isn't). Peanut sauce (peanut butter,
> garlic, sesame oil, a little soy sauce, and optionally dried chili
> flakes) on the side for people who like that...
>
> Donald

Thanks for the info -- and recipe.

--
jmk in NC
limey

"jmk" > wrote in message
>I have been thinking of getting myself a new kitchen gadget and I was
>wondering what you thought of the George Foreman grills? We do not have an
>indoor grill but I was thinking that this might be something that we would
>enjoy. I was looking at the "next grilleration" model that has removeable
>plates (dishwasher safe) -- the GRP99. Thoughts?
> --
> jmk in NC

We have the "family size" one. I've cooked hamburgers, steaks and
vegetables on it, especially when it's wintertime and we can't grill
outside. We've had it several years and recently have mentioned replacing
it with the one with removable plates. In the meantime, we have a very easy
method to clean it - as soon as the food is cooked, turn off the power and
spread sopping-wet paper towels over the whole surface. By the time you
have finished eating, the food residue has softened and can be wiped off
easily. I certainly think cleaning it is easier than cleaning an oven
broiler pan that isn't foil-covered.

Dora

Vox Humana

"Petey the Wonder Dog" > wrote in message
> Far as I can tell, someone wrote:
> >So you know from personal experience that they are not good?

> No, I don't own one, but I have used them and I didn't mean to infer
> that they are not good products. sorry.
>
> What I meant was that there are so many things that people buy because
> they see them of TV, and then they don't use them. Thus the yardsales
> full of last years "hot" product.
>
> See how many pieces of excercize equipment that people bought intending
> to "get in shape" only to find it was too much work, so it went to the
> yardsale.
>
> I just feel that people can make 95% of all the great recipes using
> basic kitchen tools, pot and pans.

I agree. I try to limit the number of specialty appliances and equipment.
I do use my food processor a lot and wouldn't want to be without it. The
stand mixer is another thing that I use frequently. That said, my elderly
mother LOVES her George Forman Grill. I think she lives on the IQF chicken
breasts that she cooks in the GFG -- not my idea of cooking, but then I'm
not pushing 80.

Martin

jmk > wrote in :

> I have been thinking of getting myself a new kitchen gadget and I was
> wondering what you thought of the George Foreman grills? We do not have
> an indoor grill but I was thinking that this might be something that we
> would enjoy. I was looking at the "next grilleration" model that has
> removeable plates (dishwasher safe) -- the GRP99. Thoughts?

Hi,

I bought one from Costco and used it fairly regularly for about a month.
It cooked food fast and was great for quick meals. We ended up taking mine
back because it started to malfunction - just the display. We also found
it a bit of a chore to clean. It wasn't teh one you could put in the dish
washer as another poster mentioned. But then again, you don't put your bbq
in the dishwasher....

Martin

jmk > wrote in :

> I have been thinking of getting myself a new kitchen gadget and I was
> wondering what you thought of the George Foreman grills? We do not have
> an indoor grill but I was thinking that this might be something that we
> would enjoy. I was looking at the "next grilleration" model that has
> removeable plates (dishwasher safe) -- the GRP99. Thoughts?

Hi,

I bought one from Costco and used it fairly regularly for about a month.
It cooked food fast and was great for quick meals. We ended up taking mine
back because it started to malfunction - just the display. We also found
it a bit of a chore to clean. It wasn't teh one you could put in the dish
washer as another poster mentioned. But then again, you don't put your bbq
in the dishwasher....
limey

"Martin" wrote in message
> jmk wrote >>

I have been thinking of getting myself a new kitchen gadget and I was
>> wondering what you thought of the George Foreman grills? We do not have
>> an indoor grill but I was thinking that this might be something that we
>> would enjoy. I was looking at the "next grilleration" model that has
>> removeable plates (dishwasher safe) -- the GRP99. Thoughts?

> Hi,
>
> I bought one from Costco and used it fairly regularly for about a month.
> It cooked food fast and was great for quick meals. We ended up taking
> mine
> back because it started to malfunction - just the display. We also found
> it a bit of a chore to clean. It wasn't teh one you could put in the dish
> washer as another poster mentioned. But then again, you don't put your
> bbq
> in the dishwasher....

I believe the new Grilleration model is only 85 sq. inches - about 9-1/2 by
9. Too small for us.

Martin, there is a very easy way to lighten the chore of cleaning the
fixed-grill plate version. When I finish cooking, I immediately unplug the
unit, cover the hot grill with sopping-wet paper towels and close the lid.
By the time we have finished our meal, everything has softened up and is
easy to remove.

Dora

limey

"Martin" wrote in message
> jmk wrote >>

I have been thinking of getting myself a new kitchen gadget and I was
>> wondering what you thought of the George Foreman grills? We do not have
>> an indoor grill but I was thinking that this might be something that we
>> would enjoy. I was looking at the "next grilleration" model that has
>> removeable plates (dishwasher safe) -- the GRP99. Thoughts?

> Hi,
>
> I bought one from Costco and used it fairly regularly for about a month.
> It cooked food fast and was great for quick meals. We ended up taking
> mine
> back because it started to malfunction - just the display. We also found
> it a bit of a chore to clean. It wasn't teh one you could put in the dish
> washer as another poster mentioned. But then again, you don't put your
> bbq
> in the dishwasher....

I believe the new Grilleration model is only 85 sq. inches - about 9-1/2 by
9. Too small for us.

Martin, there is a very easy way to lighten the chore of cleaning the
fixed-grill plate version. When I finish cooking, I immediately unplug the
unit, cover the hot grill with sopping-wet paper towels and close the lid.
By the time we have finished our meal, everything has softened up and is
easy to remove.

Dora

DawnK

"limey" > wrote in message

> "Martin" wrote in message
> > jmk wrote >>

> I have been thinking of getting myself a new kitchen gadget and I was
>>> wondering what you thought of the George Foreman grills? We do not have
>>> an indoor grill but I was thinking that this might be something that we
>>> would enjoy. I was looking at the "next grilleration" model that has
>>> removeable plates (dishwasher safe) -- the GRP99. Thoughts?

>> Hi,
>>
>> I bought one from Costco and used it fairly regularly for about a month.
>> It cooked food fast and was great for quick meals. We ended up taking
>> mine
>> back because it started to malfunction - just the display. We also found
>> it a bit of a chore to clean. It wasn't teh one you could put in the
>> dish
>> washer as another poster mentioned. But then again, you don't put your
>> bbq
>> in the dishwasher....

> I believe the new Grilleration model is only 85 sq. inches - about 9-1/2
> by 9. Too small for us.
>
> Martin, there is a very easy way to lighten the chore of cleaning the
> fixed-grill plate version. When I finish cooking, I immediately unplug
> the unit, cover the hot grill with sopping-wet paper towels and close the
> lid. By the time we have finished our meal, everything has softened up and
> is easy to remove.
>
> Dora

We are going to have to try that!

Dawn

DawnK

"limey" > wrote in message

> "Martin" wrote in message
> > jmk wrote >>

> I have been thinking of getting myself a new kitchen gadget and I was
>>> wondering what you thought of the George Foreman grills? We do not have
>>> an indoor grill but I was thinking that this might be something that we
>>> would enjoy. I was looking at the "next grilleration" model that has
>>> removeable plates (dishwasher safe) -- the GRP99. Thoughts?

>> Hi,
>>
>> I bought one from Costco and used it fairly regularly for about a month.
>> It cooked food fast and was great for quick meals. We ended up taking
>> mine
>> back because it started to malfunction - just the display. We also found
>> it a bit of a chore to clean. It wasn't teh one you could put in the
>> dish
>> washer as another poster mentioned. But then again, you don't put your
>> bbq
>> in the dishwasher....

> I believe the new Grilleration model is only 85 sq. inches - about 9-1/2
> by 9. Too small for us.
>
> Martin, there is a very easy way to lighten the chore of cleaning the
> fixed-grill plate version. When I finish cooking, I immediately unplug
> the unit, cover the hot grill with sopping-wet paper towels and close the
> lid. By the time we have finished our meal, everything has softened up and
> is easy to remove.
>
> Dora

We are going to have to try that!

Dawn

Martin

> I believe the new Grilleration model is only 85 sq. inches - about
> 9-1/2 by 9. Too small for us.
>
> Martin, there is a very easy way to lighten the chore of cleaning the
> fixed-grill plate version. When I finish cooking, I immediately
> unplug the unit, cover the hot grill with sopping-wet paper towels and
> close the lid. By the time we have finished our meal, everything has
> softened up and is easy to remove.
>
> Dora

That would work! Good idea.
-Martin
Martin

> I believe the new Grilleration model is only 85 sq. inches - about
> 9-1/2 by 9. Too small for us.
>
> Martin, there is a very easy way to lighten the chore of cleaning the
> fixed-grill plate version. When I finish cooking, I immediately
> unplug the unit, cover the hot grill with sopping-wet paper towels and
> close the lid. By the time we have finished our meal, everything has
> softened up and is easy to remove.
>
> Dora

That would work! Good idea.
-Martin
Kent

I just bought one based on a friend's strong recommendation.
It's in the garage after two uses.
It's probably OK, and if you are on a boneless skinless chicken breast diet
after your latest heart attack, it's great. You slather the chicken with
salsa when it comes out. It also works for firm fish, like halibut, or sea
bass.
We don't, however, use it.
If you do take the plunge, get the cheapest version of a size that will work
at Walmart.
Kent