Regency Reader

Default Disher Sizes

I've been thinking about buying some dishers (spring loaded scoops) in a
few sizes, to make it easier to scoop out certain kinds of foods
(pancake batter, for example). I've tried to do it by eye, but I've
always been very poor at that. My cookies are always vastly different
sizes, and no matter how much I practice, I always end up with one huge
one next to one tiny one. So it doesn't matter if the portion sizes are
exact in terms of specific sizes, but I'd like more consistency.

So I've been looking at dishers, and the sizing has me completely
confused. I'm not sure if different web sites are using different
numbering schemes, or whether they're measuring the same thing in two
different ways (rounded scoops vs. straight scoops, for example).

For example, a #16 scoop is listed as both 2 ounces and 2 3/4 ounces on
two different web sites. That's a pretty big difference. I'm just
wondering if the scoops are actually different sizes, or if they're just
being measured differently. (2 ounces would be more convenient for me,
but mostly I want to know before I buy.) There's no convenient local
place to check this out in person.

Karen
Lisa

I saw on Good Eats with Alton Brown that the number represents the number of
servings in a quart. So a #16 would be 16 servings in a quart so should
hold 2 ounces.

om...