Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Anyone here use a disher for portioning cookie dough?

On 18 Dec 2010 06:41:30 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

>I'd like to bake cookies that are 2 to 2-1/4 inches in diameter. I'm
>looking at a #60 disher.
>
>Any opinions?

I think it depends as much on the batter as the amount. You can
make a 2 1/4" butter cookie with 1T of batter- or 4 times that much
dough.
[are those terms correct in most circles-- runny stuff=batter,
moldable=dough?]

Jim
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 18 Dec 2010 13:21:02 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

>On Sat 18 Dec 2010 05:09:09a, Jim Elbrecht told us...
>
>> On 18 Dec 2010 06:41:30 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
>> > wrote:
>>
>>>I'd like to bake cookies that are 2 to 2-1/4 inches in diameter.
>>>I'm looking at a #60 disher.
>>>
>>>Any opinions?

>> I think it depends as much on the batter as the amount. You
>> can make a 2 1/4" butter cookie with 1T of batter- or 4 times that
>> much dough.
>> [are those terms correct in most circles-- runny stuff=batter,
>> moldable=dough?]
>>
>> Jim
>>

>Yes, Jim, I'd say you're correct. However, it goes further than
>that, and I should have ben more specific.
>
>The type of fat and the ratio of the fat will also contribute to the
>size of the spread. A good example is using butter vs. vegetable
>shortening in chocolate chip cookies. Given a standard recipe,
>cookies make with butter will spread more than those made with
>shortenining, yielding a larger thinner cookie.

Bullshit... both fats cause the same spread... butter contributes to
flavor is all. Leavening is what primarily contributes to cookies
spreading.

http://www.bakingandbakingscience.com/cookies.htm
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright > wrote:
-snip-
>I plan on using butter in my drop cookie recipes like chocolate chip,
>peanut butter, hermits, etc. I'm thinking that using butter in these
>drop cookie doughs nd forming them with a #60 disher will probably
>yield cookies that are roughly 2 or 2-1/4 inches. These recipes are
>more firm doughs rather than batter-like.

You got me curious- & I find it odd that Oxo has a disher/cookie size
chart. They say the #60 is for 2", the #40 for 2 3/4, and the #20 is
3 1/5. With no warnings on YMMV.

I would think the only way to find out for sure is to use them with a
recipe- and make that notation- i.e. a #60 yields 48 2" cookies.

>Using a disher will also yield more uniform size of all the cookies.

I have a couple in my Christmas stocking for that reason. It seems
like the worse my eyes & patience get, the more varied my cookies
become.

Jim
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 18 Dec 2010 13:21:02 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

> I plan on using butter in my drop cookie recipes like chocolate chip,
> peanut butter, hermits, etc. I'm thinking that using butter in these
> drop cookie doughs nd forming them with a #60 disher will probably
> yield cookies that are roughly 2 or 2-1/4 inches. These recipes are
> more firm doughs rather than batter-like.
>
> Using a disher will also yield more uniform size of all the cookies.

By "disher", you mean ice cream scoop? I haven't bought various
sizes, but I did buy one years ago (about an inch wide) that I use for
cookies and the occasional meatball. I made albondigas soup this last
week and used it to make sure my meatballs were all the same size.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On 18 Dec 2010 13:21:02 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> > wrote:
>
>> I plan on using butter in my drop cookie recipes like chocolate chip,
>> peanut butter, hermits, etc. I'm thinking that using butter in these
>> drop cookie doughs nd forming them with a #60 disher will probably
>> yield cookies that are roughly 2 or 2-1/4 inches. These recipes are
>> more firm doughs rather than batter-like.
>>
>> Using a disher will also yield more uniform size of all the cookies.

> By "disher", you mean ice cream scoop?

Umm? No. It's called a disher. Really.

Google can be your friend, but you have to use it.

> I haven't bought various
> sizes, but I did buy one years ago (about an inch wide) that I use for
> cookies and the occasional meatball. I made albondigas soup this last
> week and used it to make sure my meatballs were all the same size.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 19 Dec 2010 05:17:37 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

> An ice cream scoop *can* be a disher, depending on the release method
> it uses. Dishers use a semicircular band (usually SS) that is
> operated by squeezing the handle and traces the interior of the bowl
> to release whatever has been scooped. Other ice cream scoops either
> have no mechanical release method, or may have a piece on the back
> side of the bowl that pushes the ice cream out. These are not
> dishers.

Okay. Mine fits the requirement.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.