Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Anyone here use a disher for portioning cookie dough?

Kalmia wrote:
>Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>
>> I'd like to bake cookies that are 2 to 2-1/4 inches in diameter. *I'm
>> looking at a #60 disher.

>Heck, I didn't even know what a disher was!! Shows what kind of a
>cookie baker *I* am. Somehow I've managed with fingers and a large
>spoon all these years.

Professional bakers learn to portion batters with their hands alone...
scoop n' squeeze method, same as for muffins. Naturally some of yoose
can't even squeeze K-Y without a mess.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Brooklyn1 wrote:

> Kalmia wrote:
> >Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> >
> >> I'd like to bake cookies that are 2 to 2-1/4 inches in diameter. I'm
> >> looking at a #60 disher.

> >Heck, I didn't even know what a disher was!! Shows what kind of a
> >cookie baker *I* am. Somehow I've managed with fingers and a large
> >spoon all these years.

> Professional bakers learn to portion batters with their hands alone...
> scoop n' squeeze method, same as for muffins. Naturally some of yoose
> can't even squeeze K-Y without a mess.

Oddly, all the professional bakers I've met use dishers.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 18 Dec 2010 10:46:35 -0600, "Pete C." >
wrote:

>Brooklyn1 wrote:
>>
>> Kalmia wrote:

>> >Heck, I didn't even know what a disher was!! Shows what kind of a
>> >cookie baker *I* am. Somehow I've managed with fingers and a large
>> >spoon all these years.

>> Professional bakers learn to portion batters with their hands alone...
>> scoop n' squeeze method, same as for muffins. Naturally some of yoose
>> can't even squeeze K-Y without a mess.

>Oddly, all the professional bakers I've met use dishers.

Oddly, you met them all watching foodtv and perusing home economics
equipment catalogs. At small commercial bakeries batter is portioned
by hand, at larger commercial bakeries batter is portioned by
calibrating extruding machines.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article .com>,
"Pete C." > wrote:

> Brooklyn1 wrote:
> >
> > Kalmia wrote:

> > >Heck, I didn't even know what a disher was!! Shows what kind of a
> > >cookie baker *I* am. Somehow I've managed with fingers and a large
> > >spoon all these years.

> > Professional bakers learn to portion batters with their hands alone...
> > scoop n' squeeze method, same as for muffins. Naturally some of yoose
> > can't even squeeze K-Y without a mess.

> Oddly, all the professional bakers I've met use dishers.

You know the old saying, "There's the right way, the wrong way, and the
Army way".

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Brooklyn1 wrote:

> On Sat, 18 Dec 2010 10:46:35 -0600, "Pete C." >
> wrote:
>

> >Brooklyn1 wrote:

> >> Professional bakers learn to portion batters with their hands alone...
> >> scoop n' squeeze method, same as for muffins. Naturally some of yoose
> >> can't even squeeze K-Y without a mess.

> >Oddly, all the professional bakers I've met use dishers.

> Oddly, you met them all watching foodtv and perusing home economics
> equipment catalogs. At small commercial bakeries batter is portioned
> by hand, at larger commercial bakeries batter is portioned by
> calibrating extruding machines.

Sorry, you are wrong. The small commercial bakery owned by a friend of
mine does indeed use dishers. When you need to have nutrition
information available for your products it is important to have
consistent portions.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 18 Dec 2010 11:58:07 -0600, "Pete C." >
wrote:

>Brooklyn1 wrote:
>>
>> On Sat, 18 Dec 2010 10:46:35 -0600, "Pete C." >
>> wrote:

>> >Oddly, all the professional bakers I've met use dishers.

>> Oddly, you met them all watching foodtv and perusing home economics
>> equipment catalogs. At small commercial bakeries batter is portioned
>> by hand, at larger commercial bakeries batter is portioned by
>> calibrating extruding machines.

>Sorry, you are wrong. The small commercial bakery owned by a friend of
>mine does indeed use dishers. When you need to have nutrition
>information available for your products it is important to have
>consistent portions.

As per usual yer fulla poopoo.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 18, 7:35*am, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
> Kalmia wrote:
> >Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> >> I'd like to bake cookies that are 2 to 2-1/4 inches in diameter. I'm
> >> looking at a #60 disher.

> >Heck, I didn't even know what a disher was!! *Shows what kind of a
> >cookie baker *I* *am. *Somehow I've managed with fingers and a large
> >spoon all these years.

> Professional bakers learn to portion batters with their hands alone...
> scoop n' squeeze method, same as for muffins. *Naturally some of yoose
> can't even squeeze K-Y without a mess.

ROTFLMAO!!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Brooklyn1 wrote:

> On Sat, 18 Dec 2010 11:58:07 -0600, "Pete C." >
> wrote:
>

> >Brooklyn1 wrote:

> >> Oddly, you met them all watching foodtv and perusing home economics
> >> equipment catalogs. At small commercial bakeries batter is portioned
> >> by hand, at larger commercial bakeries batter is portioned by
> >> calibrating extruding machines.

> >Sorry, you are wrong. The small commercial bakery owned by a friend of
> >mine does indeed use dishers. When you need to have nutrition
> >information available for your products it is important to have
> >consistent portions.

> As per usual yer fulla poopoo.

Hardly. This bakery has been in operation for nearly a decade.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article .com>,
"Pete C." > wrote:

> Sorry, you are wrong. The small commercial bakery owned by a friend of
> mine does indeed use dishers. When you need to have nutrition
> information available for your products it is important to have
> consistent portions.

I can think of multiple reasons for consistent size:

1. So the "helper" or "apprentice" can do that task.
2. So the cookies all cook the same.
3. For cost control. You will probably charge the same, so you want
the ingredients for each cookie to cost the same.
4. So the recipe works the same each time (number of cookies, baking
time).

That's in addition to your excellent reason.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 18 Dec 2010 12:38:58 -0500, Brooklyn1 wrote:

> On Sat, 18 Dec 2010 10:46:35 -0600, "Pete C." >
> wrote:
>

>>Brooklyn1 wrote:

>>> Professional bakers learn to portion batters with their hands alone...
>>> scoop n' squeeze method, same as for muffins. Naturally some of yoose
>>> can't even squeeze K-Y without a mess.

>>Oddly, all the professional bakers I've met use dishers.

> Oddly, you met them all watching foodtv and perusing home economics
> equipment catalogs. At small commercial bakeries batter is portioned
> by hand, at larger commercial bakeries batter is portioned by
> calibrating extruding machines.

oddly, all 'professional bakers' are not at 'small commercial bakeries.'

blake

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 19 Dec 2010 14:22:34 -0500, blake murphy
> wrote:

>On Sat, 18 Dec 2010 12:38:58 -0500, Brooklyn1 wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 18 Dec 2010 10:46:35 -0600, "Pete C." >
>> wrote:

>>>Oddly, all the professional bakers I've met use dishers.

>> Oddly, you met them all watching foodtv and perusing home economics
>> equipment catalogs. At small commercial bakeries batter is portioned
>> by hand, at larger commercial bakeries batter is portioned by
>> calibrating extruding machines.

>oddly, all 'professional bakers' are not at 'small commercial bakeries.'

Oddly, if they're baking at home in an unprofessional manner it
doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that they're not baking
professionally. Only rank amateurs, mentally challenged prison
inmates, and dumb low class micks use ice cream scoops for portioning.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 19 Dec 2010 15:04:23 -0500, Brooklyn1 wrote:

> On Sun, 19 Dec 2010 14:22:34 -0500, blake murphy
> > wrote:
>
>>On Sat, 18 Dec 2010 12:38:58 -0500, Brooklyn1 wrote:

>>> Oddly, you met them all watching foodtv and perusing home economics
>>> equipment catalogs. At small commercial bakeries batter is portioned
>>> by hand, at larger commercial bakeries batter is portioned by
>>> calibrating extruding machines.

>>oddly, all 'professional bakers' are not at 'small commercial bakeries.'

> Oddly, if they're baking at home in an unprofessional manner it
> doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that they're not baking
> professionally. Only rank amateurs, mentally challenged prison
> inmates, and dumb low class micks use ice cream scoops for portioning.

and since home bakers aren't professionals, your original comment is
irrelevant.

blake