Posted to rec.food.equipment,rec.food.cooking

Default Wooden rolling pin

Brand new wooden rolling pin. No instructions. Is it ready to use
straight from the store, or should I treat the surface with something
first, like a bit of vegetable oil?
Posted to rec.food.equipment,rec.food.cooking

On 23/06/2012 9:14 PM, David Harmon wrote:
> Brand new wooden rolling pin. No instructions. Is it ready to use
> straight from the store, or should I treat the surface with something
> first, like a bit of vegetable oil?

No. Dust it with flour when you use it.
Posted to rec.food.equipment,rec.food.cooking

On Jun 23, 7:11*pm, Dave Smith > wrote:
> On 23/06/2012 9:14 PM, David Harmon wrote:
>
> > Brand new wooden rolling pin. *No instructions. *Is it ready to use
> > straight from the store, or should I treat the surface with something
> > first, like a bit of vegetable oil?

> No. Dust it with flour when you use it.

But wash and dry it first...
Posted to rec.food.equipment,rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 23 Jun 2012 18:14:23 -0700, David Harmon wrote:

> Brand new wooden rolling pin. No instructions. Is it ready to use
> straight from the store, or should I treat the surface with something
> first, like a bit of vegetable oil?

Your wife will know what to do with it. A mineral based oil.
Posted to rec.food.equipment,rec.food.cooking

"David Harmon" > wrote in message
> Brand new wooden rolling pin. No instructions. Is it ready to use
> straight from the store, or should I treat the surface with something
> first, like a bit of vegetable oil?

I've had mine for more years than I care to remember, but have never once
oiled it! I just dust it with flour when I am using it.

http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.equipment,rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 24 Jun 2012 03:59:30 -0500, Big Ben >
wrote:

>On Sat, 23 Jun 2012 18:14:23 -0700, David Harmon wrote:
>
>> Brand new wooden rolling pin. No instructions. Is it ready to use
>> straight from the store, or should I treat the surface with something
>> first, like a bit of vegetable oil?

>Your wife will know what to do with it. KY Jelly.

Duh
Posted to rec.food.equipment,rec.food.cooking

David Harmon wrote:

> Brand new wooden rolling pin. *No instructions. *Is it ready to use
> straight from the store, or should I treat the surface with something
> first, like a bit of vegetable oil?

Treat the same as any kitchen woodenware; wipe with clean damp cloth,
allow to air dry throughly, and coat lightly with mineral oil... most
everything one rolls will contain oils... the mineral oil will help to
prevent oils that tend to go rancid from entering the wood.

http://voices.yahoo.com/how-care-woo...n-5894628.html
Posted to rec.food.equipment,rec.food.cooking

On Jun 24, 8:56*am, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:

> Treat the same as any kitchen woodenware; wipe with clean damp cloth,
> allow to air dry throughly, and coat lightly with mineral oil... most
> everything one rolls will contain oils... the mineral oil will help to
> prevent oils that tend to go rancid from entering the wood.

How often should we retreat with the mineral oil? Every use? Once a
month? Waiting for your edict.

Posted to rec.food.equipment,rec.food.cooking

David Harmon wrote:

> Brand new wooden rolling pin. No instructions. Is it ready to use
> straight from the store, or should I treat the surface with something
> first, like a bit of vegetable oil?

You should age it in the freezer. Couple of weeks should do it.

Posted to rec.food.equipment,rec.food.cooking

On 6/24/2012 7:59 AM, Kalmia wrote:
> On Jun 24, 8:56 am, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
>>

>> Treat the same as any kitchen woodenware; wipe with clean damp cloth,
>> allow to air dry throughly, and coat lightly with mineral oil... most
>> everything one rolls will contain oils... the mineral oil will help to
>> prevent oils that tend to go rancid from entering the wood.
>>

> How often should we retreat with the mineral oil? Every use? Once a
> month? Waiting for your edict.

My mom got her wooden rolling pin as a wedding present in 1946. Eight
kids and a hell of a lot of cooking later, it's still going strong -
and we've never oiled it. Nor her rolling board, either. The only
problem we have with them is trying to agree who gets them after she
passes, since we all attach great sentimental and practical value to
those kitchen workhorses.
Posted to rec.food.equipment,rec.food.cooking

Hell Toupee wrote:

> My mom got her wooden rolling pin as a wedding present in 1946. Eight
> kids and a hell of a lot of cooking later, it's still going strong -
> and we've never oiled it. Nor her rolling board, either.

The only reason I've ever heard for oiling a kitchen board is after
resurfacing (i.e. sanding or scraping) it. That's mainly a treatment
for cutting boards.

Posted to rec.food.equipment,rec.food.cooking

On 6/23/2012 3:14 PM, David Harmon wrote:
> Brand new wooden rolling pin. No instructions. Is it ready to use
> straight from the store, or should I treat the surface with something
> first, like a bit of vegetable oil?

The rolling pins with the straight sides and handles seem to have a
waterproof finish on them. My guess is that it's some kind of
polyurethane finish but I could be wrong. The one I have is a tapered
pin and is unfinished. I don't think you need to oil either of them
although I suppose it wouldn't hurt them either. On my unfinished pin, I
don't like to get it wet and never wash it. I just dust it off the best
I can. I wouldn't mind cleaning a finished pin with water but I don't
use those.

I like to use the tapered pin because of the great control it gives over
the pastry. I never could get the flat ones to work for me but there are
some people that are very good at using them.
Posted to rec.food.equipment,rec.food.cooking

On 26/06/2012 4:44 PM, dsi1 wrote:

> The rolling pins with the straight sides and handles seem to have a
> waterproof finish on them. My guess is that it's some kind of
> polyurethane finish but I could be wrong.

They are? I had one that was straight and it was bare wood.

> The one I have is a tapered
> pin and is unfinished. I don't think you need to oil either of them
> although I suppose it wouldn't hurt them either. On my unfinished pin, I
> don't like to get it wet and never wash it. I just dust it off the best
> I can. I wouldn't mind cleaning a finished pin with water but I don't
> use those.

I had no problems with the old straight sided one. For some reason, my
wife got me a tapered on a few years ago. I gave it a try and I was
impressed. We got rid of the old one.

Posted to rec.food.equipment,rec.food.cooking

On 6/26/2012 11:35 AM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 26/06/2012 4:44 PM, dsi1 wrote:
>
>> The rolling pins with the straight sides and handles seem to have a
>> waterproof finish on them. My guess is that it's some kind of
>> polyurethane finish but I could be wrong.

> They are? I had one that was straight and it was bare wood.

The hard maple ones I've seen have a light finish of some sort on them.
Maybe it's an oil finish - I donno what's on there but it's a water
resistant surface. You can wash those with no problem. The beachwood
tapered pin I have is obviously unfinished. I don't feel comfortable
getting it wet. I never wash mine.

>> The one I have is a tapered
>> pin and is unfinished. I don't think you need to oil either of them
>> although I suppose it wouldn't hurt them either. On my unfinished pin, I
>> don't like to get it wet and never wash it. I just dust it off the best
>> I can. I wouldn't mind cleaning a finished pin with water but I don't
>> use those.

> I had no problems with the old straight sided one. For some reason, my
> wife got me a tapered on a few years ago. I gave it a try and I was
> impressed. We got rid of the old one.

You use your palms as well as your fingers with the tapered pins. It's a
more tactile experience and I find it more satisfying to use than funky
little handles. OTOH, I've used my bare hands to form a crust and it
comes out fine.

Posted to rec.food.equipment,rec.food.cooking

On 26/06/2012 6:00 PM, dsi1 wrote:

>> I had no problems with the old straight sided one. For some reason, my
>> wife got me a tapered on a few years ago. I gave it a try and I was
>> impressed. We got rid of the old one.

> You use your palms as well as your fingers with the tapered pins. It's a
> more tactile experience and I find it more satisfying to use than funky
> little handles. OTOH, I've used my bare hands to form a crust and it
> comes out fine.

My old straight sided one had belonged to my mother in law. One of the
handles had broken off before I got it, so I never used the handles. I
am thinking that maybe the taper pushes the dough out sideways as well
as forward.
Posted to rec.food.equipment,rec.food.cooking

On 6/26/2012 12:25 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 26/06/2012 6:00 PM, dsi1 wrote:
>

>>> I had no problems with the old straight sided one. For some reason, my
>>> wife got me a tapered on a few years ago. I gave it a try and I was
>>> impressed. We got rid of the old one.

>> You use your palms as well as your fingers with the tapered pins. It's a
>> more tactile experience and I find it more satisfying to use than funky
>> little handles. OTOH, I've used my bare hands to form a crust and it
>> comes out fine.

> My old straight sided one had belonged to my mother in law. One of the
> handles had broken off before I got it, so I never used the handles. I
> am thinking that maybe the taper pushes the dough out sideways as well
> as forward.

The rolling pin we had when I was a kid had a red painted handle. The
enamel paint would flake off and I would have to dig the embedded paint
chips out of the crust. I hated it! This might be the reason that I
don't like those things.
Posted to rec.food.equipment,rec.food.cooking

On Jun 26, 5:00*pm, dsi1 > wrote:
> On 6/26/2012 11:35 AM, Dave Smith wrote:
>
> > On 26/06/2012 4:44 PM, dsi1 wrote:

> >> The rolling pins with the straight sides and handles seem to have a
> >> waterproof finish on them. My guess is that it's some kind of
> >> polyurethane finish but I could be wrong.

> > They are? I had one that was straight and it was bare wood.

> The hard maple ones I've seen have a light finish of some sort on them.
> Maybe it's an oil finish - I donno what's on there but it's a water
> resistant surface. You can wash those with no problem. The beachwood
> tapered pin I have is obviously unfinished. I don't feel comfortable
> getting it wet. I never wash mine.

Mine is maple, with handles with bearings, and it came without any
finish on it.

N.
Posted to rec.food.equipment,rec.food.cooking

On 6/27/2012 6:36 AM, Nancy2 wrote:
> On Jun 26, 5:00 pm, dsi1 > wrote:

>>> They are? I had one that was straight and it was bare wood.

>> The hard maple ones I've seen have a light finish of some sort on them.
>> Maybe it's an oil finish - I donno what's on there but it's a water
>> resistant surface. You can wash those with no problem. The beachwood
>> tapered pin I have is obviously unfinished. I don't feel comfortable
>> getting it wet. I never wash mine.
>>

> Mine is maple, with handles with bearings, and it came without any
> finish on it.
>
> N.

I think that there are unfinished rolling pins as well as tapered pins
that are finished but I've never used a finished tapered pin.

Posted to rec.food.equipment,rec.food.cooking

On 6/24/2012 8:59 AM, Kalmia wrote:
> On Jun 24, 8:56 am, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
>>
>> Treat the same as any kitchen woodenware; wipe with clean damp cloth,
>> allow to air dry throughly, and coat lightly with mineral oil... most
>> everything one rolls will contain oils... the mineral oil will help to
>> prevent oils that tend to go rancid from entering the wood.
>>

> How often should we retreat with the mineral oil? Every use? Once a
> month? Waiting for your edict.

Not at all. Unless you abuse it and scrape down to new wood.

Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Harmon[_2_] View Post
Brand new wooden rolling pin. No instructions. Is it ready to use
straight from the store, or should I treat the surface with something
first, like a bit of vegetable oil?
Just dust it with flour, using it will eventually pick up the oils in the different doughs you are rolling