Posted to rec.food.equipment,rec.food.cooking
dsi1[_2_] dsi1[_2_] is offline

Default Wooden rolling pin

On 6/26/2012 11:35 AM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 26/06/2012 4:44 PM, dsi1 wrote:
>
>> The rolling pins with the straight sides and handles seem to have a
>> waterproof finish on them. My guess is that it's some kind of
>> polyurethane finish but I could be wrong.

> They are? I had one that was straight and it was bare wood.

The hard maple ones I've seen have a light finish of some sort on them.
Maybe it's an oil finish - I donno what's on there but it's a water
resistant surface. You can wash those with no problem. The beachwood
tapered pin I have is obviously unfinished. I don't feel comfortable
getting it wet. I never wash mine.

>> The one I have is a tapered
>> pin and is unfinished. I don't think you need to oil either of them
>> although I suppose it wouldn't hurt them either. On my unfinished pin, I
>> don't like to get it wet and never wash it. I just dust it off the best
>> I can. I wouldn't mind cleaning a finished pin with water but I don't
>> use those.

> I had no problems with the old straight sided one. For some reason, my
> wife got me a tapered on a few years ago. I gave it a try and I was
> impressed. We got rid of the old one.

You use your palms as well as your fingers with the tapered pins. It's a
more tactile experience and I find it more satisfying to use than funky
little handles. OTOH, I've used my bare hands to form a crust and it
comes out fine.