Posted to rec.food.equipment,rec.food.cooking
Hell Toupee Hell Toupee is offline

Default Wooden rolling pin

On 6/24/2012 7:59 AM, Kalmia wrote:
> On Jun 24, 8:56 am, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
>>

>> Treat the same as any kitchen woodenware; wipe with clean damp cloth,
>> allow to air dry throughly, and coat lightly with mineral oil... most
>> everything one rolls will contain oils... the mineral oil will help to
>> prevent oils that tend to go rancid from entering the wood.
>>

> How often should we retreat with the mineral oil? Every use? Once a
> month? Waiting for your edict.

My mom got her wooden rolling pin as a wedding present in 1946. Eight
kids and a hell of a lot of cooking later, it's still going strong -
and we've never oiled it. Nor her rolling board, either. The only
problem we have with them is trying to agree who gets them after she
passes, since we all attach great sentimental and practical value to
those kitchen workhorses.