Posted to rec.food.equipment

Default Need portable ice-making machine recommendation

I sent this post to alt.food.wine with no answers yet, so I'll give it a try
here in hopes. Thanks so much.

Do any of you have a portable ice making machine for a bar or kitchen in
your home?

We seldom use ice cubes, but I would use them more if I didn't have to put
trays with "pure water" into the freezer. Our freezer is wired/plumbed for
ice cubes, but we only use the ice made in it for adding to an ice chest
when we shop.

I've seen a number of the portables on line, but I'm thinking of spending
about $280-$300 or less, but definitely something reliable.

Thanks,
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Tue, 9 Mar 2010 22:34:33 -0500, "Dee Dovey" >
wrote:

>I sent this post to alt.food.wine with no answers yet, so I'll give it a try
>here in hopes. Thanks so much.
>
>Do any of you have a portable ice making machine for a bar or kitchen in
>your home?
>
>We seldom use ice cubes, but I would use them more if I didn't have to put
>trays with "pure water" into the freezer. Our freezer is wired/plumbed for
>ice cubes, but we only use the ice made in it for adding to an ice chest
>when we shop.
>
>I've seen a number of the portables on line, but I'm thinking of spending
>about $280-$300 or less, but definitely something reliable.
>
>Thanks,
>Dee Dee

Put a filter on the water line to the refrigerator. Ours is right
behind the refrigerator.
--
Susan N.

Posted to rec.food.equipment

"Elmo P. Shagnasty" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Dee Dovey" > wrote:
>
>> We seldom use ice cubes, but I would use them more if I didn't have to
>> put
>> trays with "pure water" into the freezer. Our freezer is wired/plumbed
>> for
>> ice cubes, but we only use the ice made in it for adding to an ice chest
>> when we shop.

> Add an RO filter to your home, and plumb that into your icemaker.
>
> Voila.

Thanks for your info, Elmo and The Cook. That seems like the logical answer
for anyone but us :-))

Our Sub-Zero, a monstrous affair, is 'totally built into" a wall of like
deep cabinets, across the room from the sink, under new (a year or two ago)
flooring.

We have RO filter to the water in the sink, and we really use that water,
all of it! And also we have a good-sized distiller where we distill the
water that comes out of the RO.

Our hard-water level here is very high.

Thanks.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Thu, 11 Mar 2010 07:02:46 -0500, "Elmo P. Shagnasty" >
wrote:

>RO *is* distilling.

Ummm, no, it isn't. It's filtration. See http://www.pwgazette.com/rofaq.htm.

-- Larry
Posted to rec.food.equipment

In article

dns.com>,
"Elmo P. Shagnasty"
> wrote:

> In article >,
> "Dee Dovey" > wrote:
>
> > > Add an RO filter to your home, and plumb that into your icemaker.
> > >
> > > Voila.

> > Thanks for your info, Elmo and The Cook. That seems like the logical
> > answer
> > for anyone but us :-))
> >
> > Our Sub-Zero, a monstrous affair, is 'totally built into" a wall of like
> > deep cabinets, across the room from the sink, under new (a year or two ago)
> > flooring.
> >
> > We have RO filter to the water in the sink, and we really use that water,
> > all of it! And also we have a good-sized distiller where we distill the
> > water that comes out of the RO.

> RO *is* distilling.

Actually it's filtration

> But anyway, *anything* can be fixed. It's not nearly as hard as you
> think to find the water supply to the fridge and tap into that. And
> it's not difficult at all to add another RO unit, especially if all it's
> doing is feeding the icemaker.

There's always a whole house water
filteer