Evan

Default Recommendation of Bread Making Machine

I am looking for a bread making machine to make home-made bread. I
want a machine that can provide more variation, like raisin dispenser,
dough-preparation (so that I can bake in my oven for danish, bagel
etc). Any recommendation for a machine less than $300? Where can I
order via Internet?
Sheldon

Evan wrote:
> I am looking for a bread making machine to make home-made bread. I
> want a machine that can provide more variation, like raisin

dispenser,
> dough-preparation (so that I can bake in my oven for danish, bagel
> etc). Any recommendation for a machine less than $300? Where can I
> order via Internet?

Buy the least expensive ABM you can find, especially if it's your
first.

Go he http://tinyurl.com/a7wye

Sheldon

Vox Humana

"Evan" > wrote in message
om...
> I am looking for a bread making machine to make home-made bread. I
> want a machine that can provide more variation, like raisin dispenser,
> dough-preparation (so that I can bake in my oven for danish, bagel
> etc). Any recommendation for a machine less than $300? Where can I
> order via Internet?

I would recommend that you get a food processor. It will mix and knead the
bread very quickly and you can make any variation that you want. Since you
are going to bake in your oven anyway, this seems like the ideal solution.
I use my FP for nearly all my dough preparation, except when I want large
quantities.

Sharon

We have had our Zojirushi for 4 years now and have really enjoyed it,
mostly using it to bake breads rather than just dough. We've used it
at least once a week all this time. Did have a problem with the pan but
it was replaced under warranty for free.

You can check it out on amazon at:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...13463?v=glance

Rina

There's a review of Bread machines he
http://www.breadmachinedigest.com/re...dmachines.html

If you are planning on baking in your machine, look closely at the shape of
the pan. I'm using the Zojurishi which I picked primarily because the shape
of the pan was more like a conventional bread pan. The "Zo" doesn't have a
fruit & nut dispenser, but it does sound a "beep" to remind you when to add
them. Breadman has a machine with a dispenser, but I've read that the
dispensers aren't big enough...

Check the machines at Amazon.com, they have several of the manuals in pdf
format, it's always nice to read the manual before making a purchase.

Rina

"Evan" > wrote in message
om...
>I am looking for a bread making machine to make home-made bread. I
> want a machine that can provide more variation, like raisin dispenser,
> dough-preparation (so that I can bake in my oven for danish, bagel
> etc). Any recommendation for a machine less than $300? Where can I
> order via Internet?

pltrgyst

On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 17:32:25 -0400, "Rina" > wrote:

>....Breadman has a machine with a dispenser, but I've read that the
>dispensers aren't big enough...

We've been using a Braedman Ultimate, on sale at various places <$100, for about
two years now, and it's been great. It also has the horizontal loaf, like the
Zoji.

-- Larry

Evan

Thanks for your helpful information. I think Zojurishi is the
recommended one. Did any of you try the Panasonic before? It seemed
these 2 models are the most popular.

Hi Vox, I need the machine, rather food processor, as I want the
machine to start baking before my breakfast with defer-start mode or
timer. The dough preparation is only for some occasional uses.

Anne Angle

I have had a Zo for over a year now and love it. It is a true workhorse and
handles even stiff bagel dough with ease. I mainly use the dough cycle
though the Zo does produce great breads baked in the machine. As someone
else already stated the Zo does not have a dispenser but does have an add in
beep so you can add your goodies then. I purchased my first Zo through
Amazon.com but it was defective. Had no trouble returning it and got my
money back right away. Ordered my current one from King Arthur Flour as they
also use these machines and offered me lots of help, especially when I
wanted to put in a special whole-wheat program into it, which works amazing
I might add.
Happy Shopping,
Annie

> Thanks for your helpful information. I think Zojurishi is the
> recommended one. Did any of you try the Panasonic before? It seemed
> these 2 models are the most popular.
>
> Hi Vox, I need the machine, rather food processor, as I want the
> machine to start baking before my breakfast with defer-start mode or
> timer. The dough preparation is only for some occasional uses.

nadiarosina

I got lucky and found an automatic bread maker in a thrift shop for 20
dollars. Mine is a Welbilt. If I bought a new one, it would have been a
Zojirushi. You can get something quite respectable for $195, and I've
seen workable bread machines for $128. You can make breads in it or
prepare doughs for pizzas, bagels, french bread, pastries, etc. I even
make pannetone and brioche in there. If you don't have objections to
used equipment, now that many people have gone carb crazy and eating
bread has become verboten for them, there are plenty of bread machines
out there to be had for almost nothing. Good luck!
Evan wrote:
> I am looking for a bread making machine to make home-made bread. I
> want a machine that can provide more variation, like raisin

dispenser,
> dough-preparation (so that I can bake in my oven for danish, bagel
> etc). Any recommendation for a machine less than $300? Where can I
> order via Internet?

AL

I've had this one for several years and have been very happy with it.

"Sharon" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> We have had our Zojirushi for 4 years now and have really enjoyed it,
> mostly using it to bake breads rather than just dough. We've used it
> at least once a week all this time. Did have a problem with the pan but
> it was replaced under warranty for free.
>
> You can check it out on amazon at:
>
> http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...13463?v=glance

Nobody

I first had an Oster; it lasted until just about a month after the warranty
was up, then died. I tossed it.

I then received a West Bend as a gift. If I recall, it was relatively
inexpensive, and had few features, but it was a real workhorse. It made
great bread for years. I had to give it up to the ex in the divorce, 'cause
she liked it so much.

I now have a Zojirushi, which I like, but haven't used all that much. I echo
the comments of the other posters about it, as far as my experience goes.

"Evan" > wrote in message
om...
>I am looking for a bread making machine to make home-made bread. I
> want a machine that can provide more variation, like raisin dispenser,
> dough-preparation (so that I can bake in my oven for danish, bagel
> etc). Any recommendation for a machine less than $300? Where can I
> order via Internet?

Dee Randall

"Sheldon" > wrote in message
ups.com...

> Evan wrote:
>> I am looking for a bread making machine to make home-made bread. I
>> want a machine that can provide more variation, like raisin

> dispenser,
>> dough-preparation (so that I can bake in my oven for danish, bagel
>> etc). Any recommendation for a machine less than $300? Where can I
>> order via Internet?

> Buy the least expensive ABM you can find, especially if it's your
> first.
>
> Go he http://tinyurl.com/a7wye
>
> Sheldon

I'll second Sheldon's advice. You can buy an Oster at Costco for less than
$40. I'd buy one again.
Dee

Dee Randall

"Sheldon" > wrote in message
ups.com...

> Evan wrote:
>> I am looking for a bread making machine to make home-made bread. I
>> want a machine that can provide more variation, like raisin

> dispenser,
>> dough-preparation (so that I can bake in my oven for danish, bagel
>> etc). Any recommendation for a machine less than $300? Where can I
>> order via Internet?

> Buy the least expensive ABM you can find, especially if it's your
> first.
>
> Go he http://tinyurl.com/a7wye
>
> Sheldon

I'll second Sheldon's advice. You can buy an Oster at Costco for less than
$40. I'd buy one again.
Dee

Sheldon

Dee Randall wrote:
> "Sheldon" > wrote in message
> ups.com...
> >
> > Evan wrote:
> >> I am looking for a bread making machine to make home-made bread.

> >> want a machine that can provide more variation, like raisin

> > dispenser,
> >> dough-preparation (so that I can bake in my oven for danish, bagel
> >> etc). Any recommendation for a machine less than $300? Where can

> >> order via Internet?

> > Buy the least expensive ABM you can find, especially if it's your
> > first.
> >
> > Go he http://tinyurl.com/a7wye
> >
> > Sheldon

> I'll second Sheldon's advice. You can buy an Oster at Costco for

less than
> $40. I'd buy one again.
> Dee

Especially if it's your first... why invest hundreds into something
that will occupy a serious amount of counter space and when there's a
50/50 chance it'll get used after the first few loaves... about half
the ABMs end up in the garage awaiting the next tag sale. I have mine
about 8 years now and admit I don't use it nearly as often as I did the
first year, in fact it's use has declined steadily each year. Here it
is already April and so far this year I used it twice.

Sheldon

DawnK

"Sheldon" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> Dee Randall wrote:
>> "Sheldon" > wrote in message
>> ups.com...

>> > dispenser,

>> > Buy the least expensive ABM you can find, especially if it's your
>> > first.
>> >
>> > Go he http://tinyurl.com/a7wye
>> >
>> > Sheldon

>> I'll second Sheldon's advice. You can buy an Oster at Costco for

> less than
>> $40. I'd buy one again.
>> Dee

> Especially if it's your first... why invest hundreds into something
> that will occupy a serious amount of counter space and when there's a
> 50/50 chance it'll get used after the first few loaves... about half
> the ABMs end up in the garage awaiting the next tag sale. I have mine
> about 8 years now and admit I don't use it nearly as often as I did the
> first year, in fact it's use has declined steadily each year. Here it
> is already April and so far this year I used it twice.
>
> Sheldon

I think I have a regal. I can't remember the last time I used it. It makes
my bread too dark, even on the light crust setting. So, it needs to be
babysat, at the end, since you can't let if finish the cycle.

I have a KitchenAid mixer that keads bread dough just fine and I like having
control over the baking part. So, yeah, I should get rid of the bread
machine. I guess I'm not a bread machine person.

I also like smelling my bread being created, as I add ingredients and mix it
together. I missed that with the bread machine!

Dawn

Evan

Thanks again for your comment.

For those "Zo" user, I have a question - some comment/review from
Internet have mentioned that the machine cannot bake well, and they
need to finish it in their oven. Is it true? Or is it just a misuse
issue?
Rina

It's not a "misuse", it's a matter of personal preference...

The machine bakes very well, it's basic bread cycle seems to bake about 10
minutes too long for my taste.. but that can be controlled by taking the
bread out sooner, baking on the sandwich cycle, creating a custom program
with a shorter bake time or using the dough cycle and baking in your own
oven.

Most "fussy" users opt for the dough cycle and oven baking, because it's
quicker and you end up with a loaf without the two tiny holes from the
paddles/posts... and it frees up the machine to start more dough for
something else!

Rina

"Evan" > wrote in message
m...
> Thanks again for your comment.
>
> For those "Zo" user, I have a question - some comment/review from
> Internet have mentioned that the machine cannot bake well, and they
> need to finish it in their oven. Is it true? Or is it just a misuse
> issue?

I do two types of bread: what I call "stupid-simple" recipes that I
just dump into the Oster (the el-cheapo $50 unit) and let it go for the
gusto, kneading and fermenting with added temperature, and then I pop
that dough out and let it proof in a regular bread pan for an oven
bake. For more rustic and high-effort stuff I like to use the
Electrolux Assistent (sic) mixer, which took some getting used to but
now, I'd never be without it. It just does a fabulous job on any dough
you want from stiff stuff to "dough" that resembles batter.

But, as you sound like you want it ready and baked in the machine, I'd
just go for the least expensive model out there, like I say the Oster
we have had for a long time does a decent job and produces edible bread
with little fuss.

Jenn Ridley

"Evan Wong" > wrote:

>"Jenn Ridley" > wrote in message
.. .

>> Personally, I have a Panasonic, and I use it at least once a week.
>> There are people who don't like the bread from their Panasonics either
>> because it's too dark or too light (I've heard both).

>Oh, so how is your Panasonic one? Which model do you recommend?
>
>I have short-listed to Panasonic, Zo and Breadman. So, I would like to hear
>comment on these models.

Can't complain. I have a YD150. I don't even know if they make that
size anymore. I put the ingredients in, bread comes out. It's been
in heavy use for almost eight years now (1-2 loaves of bread a week,
minimum). The only failures I've had have been either user error or
due to badly timed power outages.

We replaced the beater after five years (DH pulled it out of a loaf of
bread with a knife, and scratched the non-stick coating, and
eventually the non-stick coating got enough scratches in it that it
stuck to the bread more often than it stay in the pan). That was a
particularly grabby loaf of bread - usually the beater blade stays in
the pan when I drop the bread out.

Last summer, I had to replace the connecting shaft that goes from the
motor to the beater blade - after seven years of hard use, the gasket
had stopped being flexible and waterproof, and water was leaking out
of the pan. It's an easily replaceable part, though.

Didn't have a problem getting the parts - I ordered them from
Panasonic and they showed up a week later.
--
Jenn Ridley :
Jenn Ridley