Posted to rec.food.equipment

Default Banging and clanging at a bear

Using Tibetan bells, alongside an Indian stainless steel bowl being stricken
with an enchilda spatula to chase away Mr. bear ....

I noticed while doing so that there was some wet black water spots that were
flung onto the bowl, and some of the same water at the hinge of the spatula.
For the life of me I cannot imgine where the wet came from. (Yes, it was a
clean bowl and clean spatula.)

Now that it is dry, rubbing my hands on the spots, they rub off like rust
and smell like iron.

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2hd09dd&s=4

All in the past week: turkeys (I think the fox got them as the fox has
returned each day); and now for the past two days a black bear at the shed
at 6pm in the evening.

I guess I won't be walking my trail I had made a couple of years ago ;-))
Trees on all sides.

Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.equipment

Dee Dee wrote:

> Using Tibetan bells, alongside an Indian stainless steel bowl being
> stricken with an enchilda spatula to chase away Mr. bear ....
>
> I noticed while doing so that there was some wet black water spots that
> were flung onto the bowl, and some of the same water at the hinge of the
> spatula. For the life of me I cannot imgine where the wet came from.
> (Yes, it was a clean bowl and clean spatula.)
>
> Now that it is dry, rubbing my hands on the spots, they rub off like rust
> and smell like iron.
>
> http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2hd09dd&s=4

The handle of the spatula is hollow, and water gets inside.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.equipment

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
5.247...
> On Sat 19 Sep 2009 07:48:40p, Bob Terwilliger told us...
>
>> Dee Dee wrote:
>>
>>> Using Tibetan bells, alongside an Indian stainless steel bowl being
>>> stricken with an enchilda spatula to chase away Mr. bear ....
>>>
>>> I noticed while doing so that there was some wet black water spots that
>>> were flung onto the bowl, and some of the same water at the hinge of the
>>> spatula. For the life of me I cannot imgine where the wet came from.
>>> (Yes, it was a clean bowl and clean spatula.)
>>>
>>> Now that it is dry, rubbing my hands on the spots, they rub off like

> rust
>>> and smell like iron.
>>>
>>> http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2hd09dd&s=4

>> The handle of the spatula is hollow, and water gets inside.
>>
>> Bob
>>

> I find if I put my stainless steel whisks with the large cylindrical
> handles in the diswasher handle-end down, a small amount of water manages
> to get inside the handle through the holds where the wires enter the
> handle. If I put them in whisk-end down, water either doesn't accumulate
> or manages to drain out by the end of the dishwashing cycle.
>
> Wayne Boatwright

This spatula hadn't been washed in the dishwasher; mainly because it is
about 16" long and the spatula part is almost 6" wide and it has sharp
teeth.

Looking at it, I can see where I may have/probably soaked it, and the water
did 'stay' under the soldered connection, and it came out when I beat it
against a pan; but it has been some time since I used it; must've stayed
there a loooong time. I think you're right on the money.

It is called an enchilada spatula that Bayless sold. I love it for cutting
lasagne, too.

Thanks for your response, Wayne.
Stay well,
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.equipment

"Dee Dovey" > wrote in message

> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
> 5.247...

>> rust

>>> The handle of the spatula is hollow, and water gets inside.
>>>
>>> Bob
>>>

>> I find if I put my stainless steel whisks with the large cylindrical
>> handles in the diswasher handle-end down, a small amount of water
>> manages
>> to get inside the handle through the holds where the wires enter the
>> handle. If I put them in whisk-end down, water either doesn't accumulate
>> or manages to drain out by the end of the dishwashing cycle.
>>
>> Wayne Boatwright
>>

> This spatula hadn't been washed in the dishwasher; mainly because it is
> about 16" long and the spatula part is almost 6" wide and it has sharp
> teeth.
>
> Looking at it, I can see where I may have/probably soaked it, and the
> water did 'stay' under the soldered connection, and it came out when I
> beat it against a pan; but it has been some time since I used it; must've
> stayed there a loooong time. I think you're right on the money.
>
> It is called an enchilada spatula that Bayless sold. I love it for
> cutting lasagne, too.
>
> Thanks for your response, Wayne.
> Stay well,
> Dee Dee

Update: Put spatula handle up over where any of the fittings were, in a pan
of boiling water and boiled about 20 minutes. No-nothing (scum, dark specs,
etc) in the water; clear as a bell.
So I guess it's clean as a whistle now.
Dee Dee