Posted to rec.food.equipment

Default Ping: Dee Dee

I finally made it to Costco to purchase the Kirland 16-pc SS cookware set
with the 5-ply base, and I couldn't be happier with it!

I've only used a couple of pieces so far, but I love the way they perform
on my smoothtop range. The pans are quite heavy, particularly because of
the thick bottoms. The rims are dripless when pouring, and the lids fit
securely and are shaped nicely for self-basting.

I thought it might take some time getting used to the shape, since my
previous Bella Cuisine cookware had almost exactly the opposite shape, but
I find that I really like it.

I would highly recommend this set to anyone who is looking for quality and
a very affordable price.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Friday, 10(X)/31(XXXI)/08(MMVIII)
Today is: Halloween
Countdown till Veteran's Day
1wks 3dys 11hrs 7mins
Cats must eat mom's make up.
Posted to rec.food.equipment

Default Dee Dee

Everytime I see the set I've wondered how long it will be there, and if you
will be able to get there before a new one comes into play. Here, there is
an * above the sign when they will no longer be handling a product; I can't
remember if there is an asterisk or not, tho.

I'm glad that it is good and heavy for you. I was wondering about the
pouring and am glad that it pours well.

Hope you got it for $186 or $189, I think it was here the last time I saw
it; a good buy.

My largest pot of the set is a jewel, too; the shape is not straight up and
down. I sure use it a lot and it's great for making a big batch of
appleasauce; it never sticks - I use no butter. The small one gets oatmeal
most every day, and I love the medium sized pan-steamer capability.

I used the small one on an induction hob the other day to make ghee.
Perfect for one pound of butter.

Hope you are well.
Dee Dee

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
5.247...
>I finally made it to Costco to purchase the Kirland 16-pc SS cookware set
> with the 5-ply base, and I couldn't be happier with it!
>
> I've only used a couple of pieces so far, but I love the way they perform
> on my smoothtop range. The pans are quite heavy, particularly because of
> the thick bottoms. The rims are dripless when pouring, and the lids fit
> securely and are shaped nicely for self-basting.
>
> I thought it might take some time getting used to the shape, since my
> previous Bella Cuisine cookware had almost exactly the opposite shape, but
> I find that I really like it.
>
> I would highly recommend this set to anyone who is looking for quality and
> a very affordable price.
>
> --
> Wayne Boatwright
> (correct the spelling of "geemail" to reply)

> Date: Friday, 10(X)/31(XXXI)/08(MMVIII)
> Today is: Halloween
> Countdown till Veteran's Day
> 1wks 3dys 11hrs 7mins
> Cats must eat mom's make up.

Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Fri 31 Oct 2008 06:52:44p, Dee Randall told us...

> Everytime I see the set I've wondered how long it will be there, and if
> you will be able to get there before a new one comes into play. Here,
> there is an * above the sign when they will no longer be handling a
> product; I can't remember if there is an asterisk or not, tho.

This is a brand new “super Costco”, the largest I’ve ever seen. They had
no fewer than 11 different sets of cookware on display and plenty of stock.
I didn’t see any indication about how long they would handle a product.
Their website definitely doesn’t have everything listed. There was another
Kirkland set that had the same shape an bottoms like this set, except the
pans were hard-coated anodized aluminum something like Calphalon. I’ve
never liked Calphalon. I bought a 3-qt saucepan of it when it was first
introduced on the market and the material was quite thick…a nice looking
pot, but I didn’t like the way it cooked or cleaned up.

> I'm glad that it is good and heavy for you. I was wondering about the
> pouring and am glad that it pours well.
>
> Hope you got it for $186 or $189, I think it was here the last time I
> saw it; a good buy.

It was listed at $189, and because the store is still having its grand
opening, I got 10% off of that price. I’d say I was lucky!

> My largest pot of the set is a jewel, too; the shape is not straight up
> and down. I sure use it a lot and it's great for making a big batch of
> appleasauce; it never sticks - I use no butter. The small one gets
> oatmeal most every day, and I love the medium sized pan-steamer
> capability.

As I look at the various pieces I keep mentally planning what I’ll likely
be using each of them for. I kept my 8-qt. Bella Cuisine stock pot because
when I make chili I have to make two different pots, one for David and one
for me.

I gave my mother’s set of Revere to a friend’s daughter who basically
nothing to cook in.

> I used the small one on an induction hob the other day to make ghee.
> Perfect for one pound of butter.

I haven’t tried one of those yet. Don’t really know if I will, but I know
the cookware is induction ready.

> Hope you are well.
> Dee Dee

David and I are both fine. I hope you and DH are also doing well.

Cheers!

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Friday, 10(X)/31(XXXI)/08(MMVIII)
Today is: Halloween
Countdown till Veteran's Day
1wks 3dys 2hrs 30mins
My inner child can beat up your inner
Posted to rec.food.equipment

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
.250...
> On Fri 31 Oct 2008 06:52:44p, Dee Randall told us...
>

> I gave my mother’s set of Revere to a friend’s daughter who basically
> nothing to cook in.
>
> Wayne Boatwright

My first set of cookware was Revere in 1955. I remember my first 'browning
of ye ole' roast' bowed the biggest skillet in the middle. I can't
remember whether I was cooking with gas or electric. The other pans I
believe I kept for about 10 years.

It's hard to believe that I've been buying pans for 50 years. I wonder if
they've all been recycled somewhere in the big-pie-in-the-sky.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Sat 01 Nov 2008 05:40:33a, Dee Randall told us...

> My first set of cookware was Revere in 1955. I remember my first
> 'browning of ye ole' roast' bowed the biggest skillet in the middle. I
> can't remember whether I was cooking with gas or electric. The other
> pans I believe I kept for about 10 years.
>
> It's hard to believe that I've been buying pans for 50 years. I wonder
> if they've all been recycled somewhere in the big-pie-in-the-sky.
> Dee Dee

Let’s see, I bought my first set of cookware in 1963, a set of Club
Aluminum with plain interior. Next was a set of Club Aluminum with non-
stick interior. That was replaced with a set of triple-enameled Chantal
cookware, and I still have the huge Chantal roaster. It was during that
time that I acquired my many pieces of Le Creuset. I left the Chantal set
behind when my former partner, and then bought a set of Meyer Bella
Cuisine. I had that for years until David bought me a very pretty SS and
gold-plated set, and I gave the Bella Cuisine to a friend. Much to my
dismay the bottoms of several pieces of the set David bought scratched my
smoothtop range. I gave that set away to friends who had electric coil
burners. I inherited my mother’s Revere set when she passed away. It was
barely used, but I never cared for it, as I was used to pots with very
thick heavy bottoms like the Bella Cuisine. That brings us to now, and the
new Kirkland set I bought. I am giving the Revere set to the daughter of a
friend. The Kirkland set will probably last me as long as I care to cook.
I also have a few random pieces of various brands that caught my eye.
But, basically, it’s just the Le Creuset and Kirkland that I will be
keeping.

I also can’t believe that I’ve had so many pots and pans! I never actually
threw any away, and I assume that some or most are still in use somewhere.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Saturday, 11(XI)/01(I)/08(MMVIII)
Today is: All Saints Day
Countdown till Veteran's Day
1wks 2dys 13hrs 58mins
Runtime Error 6D at 417A:32CF:

Posted to rec.food.equipment

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
5.250...
> On Sat 01 Nov 2008 05:40:33a, Dee Randall told us...
>
>> My first set of cookware was Revere in 1955. I remember my first
>> 'browning of ye ole' roast' bowed the biggest skillet in the middle. I
>> can't remember whether I was cooking with gas or electric. The other
>> pans I believe I kept for about 10 years.
>>
>> It's hard to believe that I've been buying pans for 50 years. I wonder
>> if they've all been recycled somewhere in the big-pie-in-the-sky.
>> Dee Dee

> Let’s see, I bought my first set of cookware in 1963, a set of Club
> Aluminum with plain interior. Next was a set of Club Aluminum with non-
> stick interior. That was replaced with a set of triple-enameled Chantal
> cookware, and I still have the huge Chantal roaster. It was during that
> time that I acquired my many pieces of Le Creuset. I left the Chantal set
> behind when my former partner, and then bought a set of Meyer Bella
> Cuisine. I had that for years until David bought me a very pretty SS and
> gold-plated set, and I gave the Bella Cuisine to a friend. Much to my
> dismay the bottoms of several pieces of the set David bought scratched my
> smoothtop range. I gave that set away to friends who had electric coil
> burners. I inherited my mother’s Revere set when she passed away. It was
> barely used, but I never cared for it, as I was used to pots with very
> thick heavy bottoms like the Bella Cuisine. That brings us to now, and
> the
> new Kirkland set I bought. I am giving the Revere set to the daughter of
> friend. The Kirkland set will probably last me as long as I care to cook.
> I also have a few random pieces of various brands that caught my eye.
> But, basically, it’s just the Le Creuset and Kirkland that I will be
> keeping.
>
> I also can’t believe that I’ve had so many pots and pans! I never
> actually
> threw any away, and I assume that some or most are still in use somewhere.
>

> --
> Wayne Boatwright

Velly interesting.

My past is checkered with pots and pans. The one that comes to mind that
still flabbergasts me is the time I was living in San Francisco and decided
to take a job in Vietnam. I thought I would be staying for a while, but
didn't. I gave my pots and pans and dishes to an Asian woman who lived in
an apartment below me. I ended up coming home in about a month. I moved
back into the same apartment building. The woman would not part with one
thing I gave her. She laughed and called me an "Indian giver." I was awed
by the fact that she had actually heard that word/phrase and used it.
:-)))

Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Sat 01 Nov 2008 11:02:07a, Dee Randall told us...

> Velly interesting.
>
> My past is checkered with pots and pans. The one that comes to mind
> that still flabbergasts me is the time I was living in San Francisco and
> decided to take a job in Vietnam. I thought I would be staying for a
> while, but didn't. I gave my pots and pans and dishes to an Asian woman
> who lived in an apartment below me. I ended up coming home in about a
> month. I moved back into the same apartment building. The woman would
> not part with one thing I gave her. She laughed and called me an
> "Indian giver." I was awed by the fact that she had actually heard that
> word/phrase and used it.
>:-)))
>
> Dee Dee

Ouch! I think that was rather unfair of her, considering the brief time
you were gone. She could have at least offered something back.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Saturday, 11(XI)/01(I)/08(MMVIII)
Today is: All Saints Day
Countdown till Veteran's Day
1wks 2dys 12hrs 33mins
I seek not to know the answers,but to
Posted to rec.food.equipment

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
5.250...
> On Sat 01 Nov 2008 11:02:07a, Dee Randall told us...
>
>> Velly interesting.
>>
>> My past is checkered with pots and pans. The one that comes to mind
>> that still flabbergasts me is the time I was living in San Francisco and
>> decided to take a job in Vietnam. I thought I would be staying for a
>> while, but didn't. I gave my pots and pans and dishes to an Asian woman
>> who lived in an apartment below me. I ended up coming home in about a
>> month. I moved back into the same apartment building. The woman would
>> not part with one thing I gave her. She laughed and called me an
>> "Indian giver." I was awed by the fact that she had actually heard that
>> word/phrase and used it.
>>:-)))
>>
>> Dee Dee

> Ouch! I think that was rather unfair of her, considering the brief time
> you were gone. She could have at least offered something back.
>

> --
> Wayne Boatwright

Yes, I would've taken the yellow Le Creuset pot (or was it Decoware?) that
was yellow on the outside, and the white inside that I really liked (you
know, like the fish dish we were talking about.) I had one other one pot,
but it is not uppermost in my mind.

Regarding the Le Creuset (or Decoware), the pan that I used most was the one
with the wooden handle with the pourer. It was turquoise, with the white
inside. Yes, the handle got used (burnt) up! :-))

Funny thing, there is a youtube ghee video instruction where a woman is
using this wooden handled, spouted pot that I saw a few days ago while
searching for my favorite ghee recipe (Dr. Helen's, they call it.)

I think this must've been in the decade when Dansk the stone wear was so
popular. I really liked it at the time. I still have a lovely dark brown
coffee pot, but it would only serve me now as a flower pot; all my coffee
comes espresso.

Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Sat 01 Nov 2008 12:23:25p, Dee Randall told us...

> Yes, I would've taken the yellow Le Creuset pot (or was it Decoware?)
> that was yellow on the outside, and the white inside that I really liked
> (you know, like the fish dish we were talking about.) I had one other
> one pot, but it is not uppermost in my mind.

Having thought about this since you posted before, I think I would have
*insisted* that she return it. It’s not as thought you were the best of
friends. And why would you care what she thought? “Indian giver, my a**!

> Regarding the Le Creuset (or Decoware), the pan that I used most was the
> one with the wooden handle with the pourer. It was turquoise, with the
> white inside. Yes, the handle got used (burnt) up! :-))

A couple of my Le Creuset saucepans had wooden handles, and although I
never had any problem with them burning, I would always remove the handles
before putting the pan in the dishwasher (you know my penchant for putting
everything in the dishwasher). Anyway, those couple of pieces I
finally gave away because it was just too inconvenient to deal with.

> Funny thing, there is a youtube ghee video instruction where a woman is
> using this wooden handled, spouted pot that I saw a few days ago while
> searching for my favorite ghee recipe (Dr. Helen's, they call it.)

I think I know the pot your talking about.

> I think this must've been in the decade when Dansk the stone wear was so
> popular. I really liked it at the time. I still have a lovely dark
> brown coffee pot, but it would only serve me now as a flower pot; all my
> coffee comes espresso.

Ah, yes, I do remember the decade when Dansk stoneware was so popular. I
thought many of the patterns were nice, but the sound of utensils
screeching across the matte glaze of plates would have driven me nuts, like
fingernails on a blackboard. Of course, a coffeepot would not have that
problem. I have a few nice storage pieces and jugs (not Dansk) with a
glaze like that, but they don’t ever interact with metal to make such a
sound.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Monday, 11(XI)/03(III)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till Veteran's Day
1wks 20hrs 17mins
HARDWA n. The part you kick.
Posted to rec.food.equipment

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message >
> Ah, yes, I do remember the decade when Dansk stoneware was so popular. I
> thought many of the patterns were nice, but the sound of utensils
> screeching across the matte glaze of plates would have driven me nuts,
> like
> fingernails on a blackboard. Of course, a coffeepot would not have that
> problem. I have a few nice storage pieces and jugs (not Dansk) with a
> glaze like that, but they don’t ever interact with metal to make such a
> sound.

Hi Wayne.
Here is a pic of the coffee pot (perhaps a tea pot?) that I was referring
to. I believe there were sets of every conceivable dish that went along
with this style. I really liked it at the time, but it is a "Dungeon" style
:-)) if you ask me. Locked in the Towers, sort of thing.
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=zja0p1&s=4

An uneventful trip to CT, stayed at the guest apartment with meals. The
only problem being is that I didn't have any snacks and ended up buying
chips and cookies -- AARRGH!

On topic: Returned to a package from TMBaking, San Francisco: 2 Bannetons
and a flour brush. Awaiting my lames (razor blade holders) which are on
their way from France, on the boat, he said.

I've given up (almost!) on the table I want at Ikea that has been out of
stock and back-ordered for months now. I tried to estimate the cost for
them to back-order ship and it is preposterous, so I might look further.

I want something 36" wide. The 24" table I have for bread baking just
doesn't cut it. I have two other tables that might serve, but they are
back-breakingly low and can't be raised. Flour all over the floor even when
I'm trying to be careful; it gets tracked into the other rooms.

I guess I'll look local again at the wood-furniture place. But when I go, I
feel like auto salesmen are approaching me :-)))
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Thu 06 Nov 2008 07:27:17p, Dee Randall told us...

> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message >
>> Ah, yes, I do remember the decade when Dansk stoneware was so popular.
>> I thought many of the patterns were nice, but the sound of utensils
>> screeching across the matte glaze of plates would have driven me nuts,
>> like
>> fingernails on a blackboard. Of course, a coffeepot would not have
>> that problem. I have a few nice storage pieces and jugs (not Dansk)
>> with a glaze like that, but they don’t ever interact with metal to make
>> such a sound.
>>

> Hi Wayne.
> Here is a pic of the coffee pot (perhaps a tea pot?) that I was
> referring to. I believe there were sets of every conceivable dish that
> went along with this style. I really liked it at the time, but it is a
> "Dungeon" style
>:-)) if you ask me. Locked in the Towers, sort of thing.
> http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=zja0p1&s=4

I really like that pot! Given the infuser insert, I would take it more for
a teapot than coffepot, although certainly could be used to serve either.

> An uneventful trip to CT, stayed at the guest apartment with meals. The
> only problem being is that I didn't have any snacks and ended up buying
> chips and cookies -- AARRGH!

I'd have been looking for a good bakery! :-)

> On topic: Returned to a package from TMBaking, San Francisco: 2
> Bannetons and a flour brush. Awaiting my lames (razor blade holders)
> which are on their way from France, on the boat, he said.

I've never used a form for baking a loaf of bread (perhaps I should). I
could use a new flour brush, too. I once had a lames, but probably not a
very good one, as I found a single-edge razor blade to work better.

> I've given up (almost!) on the table I want at Ikea that has been out of
> stock and back-ordered for months now. I tried to estimate the cost for
> them to back-order ship and it is preposterous, so I might look further.
>
> I want something 36" wide. The 24" table I have for bread baking just
> doesn't cut it. I have two other tables that might serve, but they are
> back-breakingly low and can't be raised. Flour all over the floor even
> when I'm trying to be careful; it gets tracked into the other rooms.

When I lived in Ohio there was a custom wood shop near downtown in an
industrial district. I had them make a 36" square, 2" thick butcher block
top table for my kitchen. There was a choice of leg styles and lengths,
and I picked an old-fashioned turned style leg. Can't remember the height,
but it was perfect for working with dough. Wish I still had it and a place
to put it, although my island has ample workspace for working with dough.

> I guess I'll look local again at the wood-furniture place. But when I
> go, I feel like auto salesmen are approaching me :-)))

Some places are like that. One of our large very popular furniture stores
here in Phoenix is like that. I love to look at what they have, but I hate
being followed around.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Saturday, 11(XI)/08(VIII)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till Veteran's Day
2dys 23hrs 55mins
Biggest security gap - an open mouth.
Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Oct 31, 12:14*pm, Wayne Boatwright >
wrote:
> I finally made it to Costco to purchase the Kirland 16-pc SS cookware set
> with the 5-ply base, and I couldn't be happier with it!
>
> I've only used a couple of pieces so far, but I love the way they perform
> on my smoothtop range. *The pans are quite heavy, particularly because of
> the thick bottoms. *The rims are dripless when pouring, and the lids fit
> securely and are shaped nicely for self-basting.
>
> I thought it might take some time getting used to the shape, since my
> previous Bella Cuisine cookware had almost exactly the opposite shape, but
> I find that I really like it.
>
> I would highly recommend this set to anyone who is looking for quality and
> a very affordable price.
>
> --
> * * * * * * *Wayne Boatwright * * * * * *
> (correct the spelling of "geemail" to reply)

> Date: Friday, 10(X)/31(XXXI)/08(MMVIII)
> * * * * * * Today is: Halloween * * * * * *
> * * * *Countdown till Veteran's Day * * *
> * * * * * 1wks 3dys 11hrs 7mins * * * * *
> * * * *Cats must eat mom's make up. * * *

Hey- I bought mine a little over a year ago, and I still really like
them- I think you will, too!
Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Tue 11 Nov 2008 11:55:34a, Merryb told us...

> On Oct 31, 12:14*pm, Wayne Boatwright >
> wrote:
>> I finally made it to Costco to purchase the Kirland 16-pc SS cookware

set
>> with the 5-ply base, and I couldn't be happier with it!
>>
>> I've only used a couple of pieces so far, but I love the way they

perform
>> on my smoothtop range. *The pans are quite heavy, particularly because

> of
>> the thick bottoms. *The rims are dripless when pouring, and the lids fi

>> securely and are shaped nicely for self-basting.
>>
>> I thought it might take some time getting used to the shape, since my
>> previous Bella Cuisine cookware had almost exactly the opposite shape,

bu
>> I find that I really like it.
>>
>> I would highly recommend this set to anyone who is looking for quality

an
>> a very affordable price.

> Hey- I bought mine a little over a year ago, and I still really like
> them- I think you will, too!

Thanks, Merry. Do you cook on an electric coil or smooth top range or with
gas?

I have a smooth top range, and the one thing I find different about these
pots is that the when bringing a pot of water and potato chunks to a boil,
the burner cycles on and off before reaching the boiling point. I didn’t
find that to be true with my previous cookware. The burner stayed on
constantly until boiling point was reached.

I haven’t done much cooking with the pots yet, so can’t say how other pots
and foods will respond.

Thanks!

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Tuesday, 11(XI)/11(XI)/08(MMVIII)
Today is: Veteran's Day
Today is: Veterans Day, Remembrance Day (Canada)
I didn't fight my way to the top of
the food chain to be a vegetarian.
Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Nov 11, 11:35*am, Wayne Boatwright >
wrote:
> On Tue 11 Nov 2008 11:55:34a, Merryb told us...
>

> > On Oct 31, 12:14*pm, Wayne Boatwright >
> > wrote:
> >> I finally made it to Costco to purchase the Kirland 16-pc SS cookware

> set
> >> with the 5-ply base, and I couldn't be happier with it!

> >> I've only used a couple of pieces so far, but I love the way they

> perform
> >> on my smoothtop range. *The pans are quite heavy, particularly because

> > of
> >> the thick bottoms. *The rims are dripless when pouring, and the lids fi

> >> securely and are shaped nicely for self-basting.

> >> I thought it might take some time getting used to the shape, since my
> >> previous Bella Cuisine cookware had almost exactly the opposite shape,

> bu
> >> I find that I really like it.

> >> I would highly recommend this set to anyone who is looking for quality

> an
> >> a very affordable price.

> > Hey- I bought mine a little over a year ago, and I still really like
> > them- I think you will, too!

> Thanks, Merry. *Do you cook on an electric coil or smooth top range or with
> gas?
>
> I have a smooth top range, and the one thing I find different about these
> pots is that the when bringing a pot of water and potato chunks to a boil,
> the burner cycles on and off before reaching the boiling point. *I didn’t
> find that to be true with my previous cookware. *The burner stayed on
> constantly until boiling point was reached.
>
> I haven’t done much cooking with the pots yet, so can’t say how other pots
> and foods will respond.
>
> Thanks!
>
> --
> * * * * * * *Wayne Boatwright * * * * * *
> (correct the spelling of "geemail" to reply)

> Date: Tuesday, 11(XI)/11(XI)/08(MMVIII)
> * * * * * Today is: Veteran's Day * * * * *
> Today is: Veterans Day, Remembrance Day (Canada)
> * * I didn't fight my way to the top of * *
> * * the food chain to be a vegetarian. * *- Hide quoted text -

Hi Wayne,
My stove is a coil type- I have a gas one in the garage that I hope
to hook up soon. As far as the pans go, I am really happy with them-
the only downfall is the weight of them- I guess I'm going to be in
bad shape when I get older as I'm already having arthritis issues! I
also like the way they drain- no lip for stuff to get stuck in, and
they clean up nicely. A great purchase, in my opinion!

Ping sf Janet B General Cooking 2 16-03-2015 07:05 PM
Ping: Ya BUM kilikini General Cooking 4 20-07-2007 08:33 PM
Ping sf:Where are you? Christine Dabney General Cooking 8 07-02-2007 02:53 AM
PING: ANYONE! MoM General Cooking 18 03-12-2005 02:41 PM