Posted to rec.food.equipment

Default Portable Induction Cooker (Hob)

Anyone have any personal experience with a portable
tabletop induction cooker (hob) such as the Wolfgang Puck
Induction Cooker with induction mat or one of the
Sunpentowns in the $100-$140 price range.

If you have a WP -- does the induction mat work well.

Any recommendations, praises, warnings, techniques, etc.

How is the temperature control, quickness of heating,
safety features.

I do plan to use induction ready cookware.

Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Thu, 19 Jun 2008, zydecogary > wrote:

>Anyone have any personal experience with a portable
>tabletop induction cooker (hob) such as the Wolfgang Puck
>Induction Cooker with induction mat or one of the
>Sunpentowns in the $100-$140 price range.

I know a restaurant that bought cheap ones and they did not like them. She
said afterwards that you want to buy the highest wattage possible. So the
price you note I can't believe these have any power at all. Maybe if all
you want to do is simmer stock overnight (first brought to a boil on a
regular stove), then they would be fine.

Posted to rec.food.equipment

"Don Wiss" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 19 Jun 2008, zydecogary > wrote:
>
>>Anyone have any personal experience with a portable
>>tabletop induction cooker (hob) such as the Wolfgang Puck
>>Induction Cooker with induction mat or one of the
>>Sunpentowns in the $100-$140 price range.

> I know a restaurant that bought cheap ones and they did not like them. She
> said afterwards that you want to buy the highest wattage possible. So the
> price you note I can't believe these have any power at all. Maybe if all
> you want to do is simmer stock overnight (first brought to a boil on a
> regular stove), then they would be fine.
>
> Don <www.donwiss.com> (e-mail link at home page bottom).

Thanks for writing Don.........

Being a single person and cooking just for one in my
kitchen. I certainly won't be cooking in restaurant
quantities and using the induction hob in a busy restaurant
environment such as your friend. Tell me about YOUR
personal experience with a portable Induction Hob. I trying
to find comments from people, like me, who use them at
home. Restaurant models are available and can easily cost
over $2000. Those are not in my league.

The WP Induction Hob rates at 1400 watts which is
approaching the limits of my kitchen 110volt AC circuitry.
I don't plan to tap into my ranges 220volt circuit.

Gary

Posted to rec.food.equipment

"zydecogary" > wrote in
:

> Anyone have any personal experience with a portable
> tabletop induction cooker (hob) such as the Wolfgang Puck
> Induction Cooker with induction mat or one of the
> Sunpentowns in the $100-$140 price range.
>
> If you have a WP -- does the induction mat work well.
>
> Any recommendations, praises, warnings, techniques, etc.
>
> How is the temperature control, quickness of heating,
> safety features.
>
> I do plan to use induction ready cookware.

I recently bought a BergHOFF (that's the way THEY spell it) induction
hob rated at 1600 watts. It is a portable, running on 120V with a
standard plug. I do like the fact that it is very controllable and that
I can use a paper towel under the pot in case of boil over (try that you
gas range afficianados) but do have some concerns over power (little
low) and noise (not loud but annoying). The power is not a great
supprise as you can only get so many BTUs from a 120V outlet and I would
guess that if the wattage was higher that things would happen faster and
with more umph. Having said that, I use it with a Gourmet Standard
(would like to hear more feedback on this brand) three qt. sauce pan for
boiling, sauces and pasta and can saute small stuff (pignole nuts,
garlic, onions) with a 3 qt. All Clad pan. Interestingly the 5 qt. All
Clad saute pan will not work for induction cooking. I never have
determined why.
Overall my experience has been very good and I have decided to upgrade
to an induction range when I renovate the kitchen (although at this
rate, by the time that happens we will be telepathically using fusion to
cook with) So, my experience would suggest that this would work well
especially for a small space or for situations requiring a hot plate for
cooking. My own purpose was a "proof of concept" test to determine if
this would work as a range.
Hope this helps.
Posted to rec.food.equipment

Doc -- your comments are much appreciated.

I too would be using it for a proof of concept. I love to
play around with kitchen gadgets.

I will most likely go with the Wolfgang Puck one as the
price is right, HSN is giving me an additional 20% off this
month, the reviews seem good, and you get the induction
mat/trivet (although I will shoot for Clad or wrought iron
utensils with which to experiment. I will visit a 'real'
restaurant supply place and look at their pots and pans.
I've tested many 'good' p&p in places like Linens & Things
and Bed, Bath & Beyond but couldn't get my magnet to stick
to any bottoms. Perhaps that's the problem of your saute pan.

I am equipped with an infra-red thermometer that I will
use for temperature hold testing.

I am looking forward to using the hob for 'sweating'
vegetables (onions, garlic) with a good temperature hold --
something I always fail at on my electric range.

Gary Hayman

==========================

"DocV" > wrote in message
. 131...
> "zydecogary" > wrote in
> :
>
>> Anyone have any personal experience with a portable
>> tabletop induction cooker (hob) such as the Wolfgang Puck
>> Induction Cooker with induction mat or one of the
>> Sunpentowns in the $100-$140 price range.
>>
>> If you have a WP -- does the induction mat work well.
>>
>> Any recommendations, praises, warnings, techniques, etc.
>>
>> How is the temperature control, quickness of heating,
>> safety features.
>>
>> I do plan to use induction ready cookware.
>>

> I recently bought a BergHOFF (that's the way THEY spell it) induction
> hob rated at 1600 watts. It is a portable, running on 120V with a
> standard plug. I do like the fact that it is very controllable and that
> I can use a paper towel under the pot in case of boil over (try that you
> gas range afficianados) but do have some concerns over power (little
> low) and noise (not loud but annoying). The power is not a great
> supprise as you can only get so many BTUs from a 120V outlet and I would
> guess that if the wattage was higher that things would happen faster and
> with more umph. Having said that, I use it with a Gourmet Standard
> (would like to hear more feedback on this brand) three qt. sauce pan for
> boiling, sauces and pasta and can saute small stuff (pignole nuts,
> garlic, onions) with a 3 qt. All Clad pan. Interestingly the 5 qt. All
> Clad saute pan will not work for induction cooking. I never have
> determined why.
> Overall my experience has been very good and I have decided to upgrade
> to an induction range when I renovate the kitchen (although at this
> rate, by the time that happens we will be telepathically using fusion to
> cook with) So, my experience would suggest that this would work well
> especially for a small space or for situations requiring a hot plate for
> cooking. My own purpose was a "proof of concept" test to determine if
> this would work as a range.
> Hope this helps.

Posted to rec.food.equipment

zydecogary wrote:

> I am looking forward to using the hob for 'sweating'
> vegetables (onions, garlic) with a good temperature hold --
> something I always fail at on my electric range.

Is the problem that your electric burner is too hot or that it cycles to
widely? If the later, try a heat diffuser:

<http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000X6ESO?smid=A2OWTFZVIG7K1P&tag=dealtime-kitchen-20&linkCode=asn>

by way of example, not recommendation.

I don't have any problem holding low, even temperatures with my glass
top electric cook top.

Matthew

--
"All you need to start an asylum is an empty room and the right kind of
people". Alexander Bullock ("My Man Godfrey" 1936):
Posted to rec.food.equipment

"zydecogary" > wrote in
:

Snipped

> I am looking forward to using the hob for 'sweating'
> vegetables (onions, garlic) with a good temperature hold --
> something I always fail at on my electric range.

I hear you as my existing range is a GE glasstop and I find that it
tends to overheat everything and the control is very slow. I find that
the induction controllability makes this much easier as it tends to
reduce heat very quickly (although it still requires watching as the pan
thickness retains enough heat that it can get out of control if left too
long)

Now if I could figure out a way for my kitchen to stop looking funny
with an induction hob sitting on top of the stove burner.
Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Jun 26, 9:22*am, Doc > wrote:
> "zydecogary" > wrote m:
>
> Snipped
>
> > I am looking forward to using the hob for 'sweating'
> > vegetables (onions, garlic) with a good temperature hold --
> > something I always fail at on my electric range.

> I hear you as my existing range is a GE glasstop and I find that it
> tends to overheat everything and the control is very slow. I find that
> the induction controllability makes this much easier as it tends to
> reduce heat very quickly (although it still requires watching as the pan
> thickness retains enough heat that it can get out of control if left too
> long)
>
> Now if I could figure out a way for my kitchen to stop looking funny
> with an induction hob sitting on top of the stove burner.

I do have two single induction hobs. I don't let them sit out on
the counter or on the range as they are not used everyday (by a long
shot). I keep them closeby/handy in the appliance storage area. I
will use them also for outdoor cooking.

Some do like the separate heat diffusers, but I've never had them work
that well for me.

Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.equipment

Dee Dee > wrote in
:

> On Jun 26, 9:22*am, Doc > wrote:
>> "zydecogary" > wrote
>> innews:xbudnY8vOPTP5cLVnZ2dnUVZ

> :
>>
>> Snipped
>>
>> > I am looking forward to using the hob for 'sweating'
>> > vegetables (onions, garlic) with a good temperature hold --
>> > something I always fail at on my electric range.

>> I hear you as my existing range is a GE glasstop and I find that it
>> tends to overheat everything and the control is very slow. I find
>> that the induction controllability makes this much easier as it tends
>> to reduce heat very quickly (although it still requires watching as
>> the pan thickness retains enough heat that it can get out of control
>> if left too long)
>>
>> Now if I could figure out a way for my kitchen to stop looking funny
>> with an induction hob sitting on top of the stove burner.

> I do have two single induction hobs. I don't let them sit out on
> the counter or on the range as they are not used everyday (by a long
> shot). I keep them closeby/handy in the appliance storage area. I
> will use them also for outdoor cooking.
>
> Some do like the separate heat diffusers, but I've never had them work
> that well for me.
>
> Dee Dee

Without getting into whine mode, the reason for doing the "proof of
concept" stuff is to get ready to renovate the kitchen as it currently
has little counter and/or cabinet space... or a decent sink...or ...

Think if I set up a paypal account, and whined enough, I might get the
kitchen paid for?