Posted to rec.food.equipment,rec.food.cooking

Default Toaster Oven - any recommendations?

Follow-ups set to r.f.equipment

I've got $30 to spend at Kohl's and "I've always wanted one since I was
a little girl."

What all can I do in one that would be better served with use of a TO
than doing it in my range oven?

Whaddaya say?
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
Notes about our meals in Tuscany have been posted to
Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Sat, 15 Dec 2007 21:10:55 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

>Follow-ups set to r.f.equipment
>
>I've got $30 to spend at Kohl's and "I've always wanted one since I was
>a little girl."
>
>What all can I do in one that would be better served with use of a TO
>than doing it in my range oven?
>
>Whaddaya say?

I don't think they do anything better. But they don't heat up the
whole kitchen in the summer. More energy efficient. A big pain in
the ass to clean. Reheat pizza very well. Take up counter space.
Are great for a quick broil on an open faced sandwich. I have one and
use it frequently. But I haven't found anything it does that an oven
can't do just as well.

Lou
Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Dec 15, 9:10 pm, Melba's Jammin' >
wrote:
> Follow-ups set to r.f.equipment
>
> I've got $30 to spend at Kohl's and "I've always wanted one since I was
> a little girl."
>
> What all can I do in one that would be better served with use of a TO
> than doing it in my range oven?

Well, in the Summer you can not heat up the kitchen so much. They're
nice for top browning. That's the only toaster we have. They're nice
for melting lots of butter onto toast. I buy these stuffed crab
things at the supermarket, and cook them for my wife in the TO. You
can bake foil wrapped potatoes in them. They're nice for reheating
pizza. I melt cheese onto refried beans with it.
We do not have a microwave, and haven't for almost 2 years, but we use
the TO quite often.

> Whaddaya say?

Clean the toasty crumbs that have become saturated with butter out of
the bottom more often than I do. Also, line the cooking tray with
alum foil.

> --
> -Barb, Mother Superior

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.equipment

Oh pshaw, on Sat 15 Dec 2007 08:10:55p, Melba's Jammin' meant to say...

> Follow-ups set to r.f.equipment
>
> I've got $30 to spend at Kohl's and "I've always wanted one since I was
> a little girl."
>
> What all can I do in one that would be better served with use of a TO
> than doing it in my range oven?
>
> Whaddaya say?

I never use mine for toast, but I use it frequently as a mini-broiler for
just the two of us.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Dec 13,2007

Countdown 'til Christmas
1wks 2dys 5hrs 45mins 41secs
Did you really expect mere proof to
sway my opinion? HA!
Posted to rec.food.equipment

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> Follow-ups set to r.f.equipment
>
> I've got $30 to spend at Kohl's and "I've always wanted one since I was
> a little girl."
>
> What all can I do in one that would be better served with use of a TO
> than doing it in my range oven?
>
> Whaddaya say?

Ours replaces a toaster, mostly. There is very little that I cook in it
other than "broiling" open-faced cheese and tomato (occasionally with
bacon) sandwiches. Broiling things that spatter would make quite a mess
and they aren't that easy to clean. I've baked potatoes in one, and
used it to crisp the skins after nuking a potato, but that doesn't get
done often.

I guess if you are baking something quite small and don't want to heat
the big oven, it would be useful.

Do you have counter space for it? If nothing else you can use it for
teeny cupcakes with Twerp, I guess.

gloria p

Posted to rec.food.equipment

In article >,
Puester > wrote:

> Do you have counter space for it?

Very funny. :-P
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
Notes about our meals in Tuscany have been posted to
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com; 10-16-2007
Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Sat, 15 Dec 2007 21:10:55 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
> fired up random neurons and synapses to
opine:

>Follow-ups set to r.f.equipment
>
>I've got $30 to spend at Kohl's and "I've always wanted one since I was
>a little girl."
>
>What all can I do in one that would be better served with use of a TO
>than doing it in my range oven?
>
>Whaddaya say?

Had a look at Consumer Reports and they liked the following in order:
Cuisinarat, TFal, Sanyo, Rival, Hamilton Beach, DeLonghi, etc. Their
"CR Quick Recommendations" were for the Rival TO600 , $55, and T-Fal
Avante Elite Convection Toaster Oven , $100. The Rival scored only a
point below the T-Fal in "ease of use," but for $45, I'd look at how
much easier the T-Fal is.Interestingly, they seemed to *hate*
Toastmaster, which made its name on stuff like this.

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

-- Duncan Hines

To reply, replace "meatloaf" with "cox"

Posted to rec.food.equipment

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> Follow-ups set to r.f.equipment
>
> I've got $30 to spend at Kohl's and "I've always wanted one since I was
> a little girl."
>
> What all can I do in one that would be better served with use of a TO
> than doing it in my range oven?
>
> Whaddaya say?

I had my parent's old one when I got my first apartment. Not sure why I got
rid of it, except that I didn't use it too often. Mainly I used it to make
toast. I was convinced it was the only way to actually get toast without
having burned toast. The reason I thought this was that my parents had a
ton of bad toasters. They said they got a lot of toasters as wedding gifts
and they all seemed to be the same model, most likely purchased at my
grandpa's store. At any rate, our toast always came out black and had to be
scraped unless it was made in the oven or toaster oven.

I would make occasional toasted cheese sandwiches. Or I would heat up
Saltines, sometimes with applesauce on them for faux apple pie. I can't
really think of anything else I used it for. Or would use it for now.

Posted to rec.food.equipment

Default Toaster Oven - any recommendations? - follow-up

In article >,
Melba's Jammin' > wrote:

Based on what I'm willing to spend (Kohl's $30 and maybe $10 of my own),
I'm thinking I won't buy one just now. Difficult to clean is not in its
favor.

Thanks for the replies.

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
Notes about our meals in Tuscany have been posted to
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com; 10-16-2007
Posted to rec.food.equipment

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> What all can I do in one that would be better served with use of a TO
> than doing it in my range oven?
>
> Whaddaya say?

I've long considered the Roto-Broil, which combines
toaster oven functionality with rotisserie.
A unique design feature is that it uses very
long skewers in which the handle resides outside
the oven during cooking, so it remains cool,
and you can handle the skewer immediately when
roasting is complete. There's a slot on the
side of the oven which allows the skewer to be
seated in the middle of the oven space and rotate,
after which you can open the door and slide it out.

These are frequently available brand new in box
on eBay (if you consider unused from 1960 to be
"brand new"). Be sure it comes with both
skewers.

None are available right now, which is slightly
unusual. But if you're persistant, you'll be
able to find one in mint condition, 40 to 50
years old, much better quality than anything
you can find being made today.

Posted to rec.food.equipment

In article >,
Melba's Jammin' > wrote:

> Follow-ups set to r.f.equipment
>
> I've got $30 to spend at Kohl's and "I've always wanted one since I was
> a little girl."
>
> What all can I do in one that would be better served with use of a TO
> than doing it in my range oven?
>
> Whaddaya say?

Since I cook for just me, I find it much much easier to use my
combination toaster convection oven instead of my built-in gas oven. For
me, my toaster oven is much more convenient, easy to clean, and more
versatile than my regular oven. I haven't used my built-in oven in ages.
I bake and broil in my toaster oven with great results, but it cost
around $70, so its out of your price range. I don't know what $30 would
buy you now in a toaster oven because its been about two years since I
last shopped for one. You might consider checking out Consumer Reports
to see what they recommend.
Posted to rec.food.equipment

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> Follow-ups set to r.f.equipment
>
> I've got $30 to spend at Kohl's and "I've always wanted one since I was
> a little girl."
>
> What all can I do in one that would be better served with use of a TO
> than doing it in my range oven?
>
> Whaddaya say?
> --

-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ

Hey Barb

My mom uses hers all the time. For toast, yes, but also for cookies, muffins, etc. It
works great for her since it's just her and Dad at home, so she doesn't need to heat
up the oven every time they want a piece of toast or an english muffin or whatever.
She also uses it for toasting nuts, breadcrumbs, etc. She loves hers and is always
telling me I need one ;-)

kimberly

Posted to rec.food.equipment

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
>> Follow-ups set to r.f.equipment
>>
>> I've got $30 to spend at Kohl's and "I've always wanted one since I was
>> a little girl."
>>
>> What all can I do in one that would be better served with use of a TO
>> than doing it in my range oven?
>>
>> Whaddaya say?

> I had my parent's old one when I got my first apartment. Not sure why I
> got rid of it, except that I didn't use it too often. Mainly I used it to
> make toast. I was convinced it was the only way to actually get toast
> without having burned toast. The reason I thought this was that my
> parents had a ton of bad toasters. They said they got a lot of toasters
> as wedding gifts and they all seemed to be the same model, most likely
> purchased at my grandpa's store. At any rate, our toast always came out
> black and had to be scraped unless it was made in the oven or toaster
> oven.
>
> I would make occasional toasted cheese sandwiches. Or I would heat up
> Saltines, sometimes with applesauce on them for faux apple pie. I can't
> really think of anything else I used it for. Or would use it for now.

I bought one when we replaced our new oven; I kept it about a year
afterwardwards, I believe. I had it too long. I can't remember what brand
it was. I used it a lot at different temperatures and for many different
things. I feel that I was experienced using one to NOT recommend one.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.equipment

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> Follow-ups set to r.f.equipment
>
> I've got $30 to spend at Kohl's and "I've always wanted one since I was
> a little girl."
>
> What all can I do in one that would be better served with use of a TO
> than doing it in my range oven?
>
> Whaddaya say?

I've had a few toaster ovens over the years. I haven't had one on my
counter since I got self cleaning ovens. They don't heat up my kitchen
in the summer, do almost everything but toast better and they are self
cleaning.

Did I mention that the ovens are self cleaning.

Matthew

--
"All you need to start an asylum is an empty room and the right kind of
people". Alexander Bullock ("My Man Godfrey" 1936):
Posted to rec.food.equipment

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> Follow-ups set to r.f.equipment
>
> I've got $30 to spend at Kohl's and "I've always wanted one since I was
> a little girl."
>
> What all can I do in one that would be better served with use of a TO
> than doing it in my range oven?
>
> Whaddaya say?
> --
> -Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ

First, remember that the insides of toaster ovens can be a bitch to clean
because the Chinese design them with sharp edges facing inward, to shred the
sponge and your hands. So, forget using them to cook things which spatter
everywhere (meats), or drip downward (toaster pastries).

What does that leave you with? Frozen pot pies, frozen Stouffer mac &
cheese, that sort of stuff.

Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Sat, 15 Dec 2007 21:10:55 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

>Follow-ups set to r.f.equipment
>
>I've got $30 to spend at Kohl's and "I've always wanted one since I was
>a little girl."
>
>What all can I do in one that would be better served with use of a TO
>than doing it in my range oven?
>
>Whaddaya say?

I have a cheap Black and Decker about two years old. We use it every
day. None of these things hold accurate temperature, and they all have
hot and cold spots, even an expensive Delonghi convection oven the kid
has at college, so using one is a learning process. We use it for
toast, bagels, making cornbread, frozen biscuits, toaster pastries,
nachos, potato skins, cooking those little individual frozen pizzas
for a quick lunch, brown and serve rolls. We cook frozen french fries,
and we make oven roasted potatoes (peeled and diced to about 1-inch
dice and sprinkled with olive oil and spices). It's better than a
microwave for heating up many leftovers because some things get
overcooked in a MW, or they don't cook right, like leftover fried
chicken with a crispy coating (it will crisp back up in a TO, but not
in a MW). Once you learn how to use it IMO it can't be beat. It's a
lot cheaper and faster than heating up the main oven.

BTW, I've tried baking cakes, pies, casseroles, etc., mostly to see
what we can pre-make for the kid to cook in the dorm, and they all
failed miserably. Just can't compensate for uneven heat distribution
and incorrect temperature regualtion.

Posted to rec.food.equipment

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> Follow-ups set to r.f.equipment
>
> I've got $30 to spend at Kohl's and "I've always wanted one since I was
> a little girl."
>
> What all can I do in one that would be better served with use of a TO
> than doing it in my range oven?
>
> Whaddaya say?

I just used my toaster oven today to heat a few frozen hors d'oevres for
company. Used a lot less energy than cranking up the big oven in the
range and kept the kitchen cooler.

I find it very difficult to keep the toaster oven clean. I would look at
the ease of cleaning feature on the one you plan to buy.

Janet

--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
Posted to rec.food.equipment

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> Follow-ups set to r.f.equipment
>
> I've got $30 to spend at Kohl's and "I've always wanted one since I was
> a little girl."
>
> What all can I do in one that would be better served with use of a TO
> than doing it in my range oven?
>
> Whaddaya say?

I've only tried one, a Black and Decker "Toast-R-Oven".
I've had it for about 32 years so far. I first bought it to heat
convenience food for lunches at my first job, around 1975 or so. It's
pretty ugly now, but it still works.
It has proven handier than a microwave oven for foods that should be
browned or crisp, and I recently slow-roasted a 2 pound beef roast in
mine. It wouldn't hold anything much larger than that without the food
being too close to the heating element.
I'd guess it consumes less electricity than a full sized oven.
Don't expect it to make good toast, though. That requires more heat,
generated faster, than my toaster oven can produce.

Off-topic, I was just going through my closets, and found that I had
four 12-meal boxes of MRE packets... Around 17 years old! The garbage
can is going to be unusually heavy next week..!
I might keep the "Accessory Packs" for camping trips - The toilet paper,
matches, and plastic spoons can't go stale at least, and the instant
coffee (vitamin C added!) couldn't GET any worse than it was when fresh.
Posted to rec.food.equipment

Oh pshaw, on Sun 16 Dec 2007 08:56:31p, Janet Wilder meant to say...

> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>> Follow-ups set to r.f.equipment
>>
>> I've got $30 to spend at Kohl's and "I've always wanted one since I was
>> a little girl."
>>
>> What all can I do in one that would be better served with use of a TO
>> than doing it in my range oven?
>>
>> Whaddaya say?

> I just used my toaster oven today to heat a few frozen hors d'oevres for
> company. Used a lot less energy than cranking up the big oven in the
> range and kept the kitchen cooler.
>
> I find it very difficult to keep the toaster oven clean. I would look at
> the ease of cleaning feature on the one you plan to buy.
>
> Janet

Or cheap enough to toss and buy another.

We use ours 80% of the time for broiling small quantities of meat for 2.
Makes a horrible mess inside that I will not attempt to clean thoroughly.
We just replace it every so often.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Sunday, December(XII) 16th(XVI),2007(MMVII)

Today is: Third Sunday of Advent
Countdown 'til Christmas
1wks 6hrs 6mins 51secs
Cats must knock the brush Mom uses on
me into the garbage can just because.
Posted to rec.food.equipment

"none" > wrote in message
t...
> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>> Follow-ups set to r.f.equipment I've got $30 to spend at Kohl's and "I've
>> always wanted one since I was a little girl." What all can I do in one
>> that would be better served with use of a TO than doing it in my range
>> oven?
>>
>> Whaddaya say?

> I've only tried one, a Black and Decker "Toast-R-Oven".
> I've had it for about 32 years so far. I first bought it to heat
> convenience food for lunches at my first job, around 1975 or so. It's
> pretty ugly now, but it still works.
> It has proven handier than a microwave oven for foods that should be
> browned or crisp, and I recently slow-roasted a 2 pound beef roast in
> mine. It wouldn't hold anything much larger than that without the food
> being too close to the heating element.
> I'd guess it consumes less electricity than a full sized oven.
> Don't expect it to make good toast, though. That requires more heat,
> generated faster, than my toaster oven can produce.

I had one of these about 30 years ago and about 10 years ago replaced it
with a fancy larger DeLongi. Then replaced that twice with fancy large TOs.
I finally bought anther B & D last year.

I found that while the larger ovens are useful for doing all kinds of baking
and browning, the thing we were using them for the most was toasting bread.
The larger ones all took twice as long to make toast than the little B & D.

Jon

Posted to rec.food.equipment

Coffee Maker/Toaster Oven
I have for sale a Coffee Maker/Toaster Oven combo. this is a 5 cup
coffee maker and toaster over together. it also includes an egg cooker
to make one egg at a time.

THIS HAS NEVER BEEN USED AND IS STILL IN THE BOX.
the cost for the item is $35.00 plus postage
the postage I use is Priority mail FLAT RATE in the U S
outside of the US (I.E CANADA) I use Airmail M Bag
Nonetheless please provide your zip code/postal code so I can
calculate postage properly.

Thank you
CatherinPS I can take $30 but there is postage...its brand new and has
everything with it
all you need is the filters for the attached coffee maker.