Posted to rec.food.equipment

Default Need a sturdy food mill recommendation

I must've discarded my food mill that I had for years; probably because it
was rusty looking, as was my potato ricer.

But the food mill has me stumped. There are loads of them on amazon.com and
fantes.com to chose from.

The last food mill I had was sorta heavy, but really solid. It had lots of
holes, and no separate blades with different sized holes. I'm not too fond
of the separate blades, as in the ricers.

The last two (food mill and ricer) seemed to have loads of holes in them.
I've seen nothing as nice. I'm only interested in stainless steel.

Has anyone bought one recently.
Thanks so much.

Needed it sorely yesterday. Had to use a chinois with wooded stump. I
think it's gotta go, too.

Alton Brown's baked romas for tomato sauce - my pics

http://tinypic.com/5xgkzlk.jpg

before baking

http://tinypic.com/4uxabs2.jpg

after baking

http://tinypic.com/689o70h.jpg

after straining

http://tinypic.com/5ylo7is.jpg

Choosing wine

Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Mon, 10 Sep 2007 10:46:59 -0400, "Dee Dee" >
wrote:

>I must've discarded my food mill that I had for years; probably because it
>was rusty looking, as was my potato ricer.
>
>But the food mill has me stumped. There are loads of them on amazon.com and
>fantes.com to chose from.
>
>The last food mill I had was sorta heavy, but really solid. It had lots of
>holes, and no separate blades with different sized holes. I'm not too fond
>of the separate blades, as in the ricers.
>
>The last two (food mill and ricer) seemed to have loads of holes in them.
>I've seen nothing as nice. I'm only interested in stainless steel.
>
>Has anyone bought one recently.
>Thanks so much.

Here is the one I bought from Amazon last year.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...817874-2142266

The only drawback is that the plates take some pressure to get in and
the blade does too. The plates might go in better if I put a bit of
oil on the edges. So far this summer I have put over 100 quarts of
tomatoes through it. It is not hard to turn and it all goes in the
dishwasher.

--
Susan N.

Posted to rec.food.equipment

"The Cook" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 10 Sep 2007 10:46:59 -0400, "Dee Dee" >
> wrote:
>
>>I must've discarded my food mill that I had for years; probably because it
>>was rusty looking, as was my potato ricer.
>>
>>But the food mill has me stumped. There are loads of them on amazon.com
>>and
>>fantes.com to chose from.
>>
>>The last food mill I had was sorta heavy, but really solid. It had lots
>>of
>>holes, and no separate blades with different sized holes. I'm not too
>>fond
>>of the separate blades, as in the ricers.
>>
>>The last two (food mill and ricer) seemed to have loads of holes in them.
>>I've seen nothing as nice. I'm only interested in stainless steel.
>>
>>Has anyone bought one recently.
>>Thanks so much.
>>

> Here is the one I bought from Amazon last year.
> http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...817874-2142266
>
> The only drawback is that the plates take some pressure to get in and
> the blade does too. The plates might go in better if I put a bit of
> oil on the edges. So far this summer I have put over 100 quarts of
> tomatoes through it. It is not hard to turn and it all goes in the
> dishwasher.
>
> --
> Susan N.

This one was the one that I was thinking about, even though the reviews are
really varied.

I've only had one food mill, and I loved the way it worked. First, the
blade goes around, then you turn it in the opposite direction to pull the
food up a bit, then you go in the first direction again. Is this the way
yours works, and all food mills work this way? The one I had, its blade was
so substantial, and the pictures I see don't seem to show that.

Thanks again.
Dee

Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Mon, 10 Sep 2007 17:07:57 -0400, "Dee Dee" >
wrote:

>"The Cook" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Mon, 10 Sep 2007 10:46:59 -0400, "Dee Dee" >
>> wrote:
>>
>>>I must've discarded my food mill that I had for years; probably because it
>>>was rusty looking, as was my potato ricer.
>>>
>>>But the food mill has me stumped. There are loads of them on amazon.com
>>>and
>>>fantes.com to chose from.
>>>
>>>The last food mill I had was sorta heavy, but really solid. It had lots
>>>of
>>>holes, and no separate blades with different sized holes. I'm not too
>>>fond
>>>of the separate blades, as in the ricers.
>>>
>>>The last two (food mill and ricer) seemed to have loads of holes in them.
>>>I've seen nothing as nice. I'm only interested in stainless steel.
>>>
>>>Has anyone bought one recently.
>>>Thanks so much.
>>>

>> Here is the one I bought from Amazon last year.
>> http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...817874-2142266
>>
>> The only drawback is that the plates take some pressure to get in and
>> the blade does too. The plates might go in better if I put a bit of
>> oil on the edges. So far this summer I have put over 100 quarts of
>> tomatoes through it. It is not hard to turn and it all goes in the
>> dishwasher.
>>
>> --
>> Susan N.

>This one was the one that I was thinking about, even though the reviews are
>really varied.
>
>I've only had one food mill, and I loved the way it worked. First, the
>blade goes around, then you turn it in the opposite direction to pull the
>food up a bit, then you go in the first direction again. Is this the way
>yours works, and all food mills work this way? The one I had, its blade was
>so substantial, and the pictures I see don't seem to show that.
>
>Thanks again.
>Dee

Yes. Clockwise to press, counter to scrape up the stuff. I just did
another 20 quarts of tomatoes this afternoon and my arm is not sore.
And I am not but a few years behind you. The blade covers about 1/2
the bottom. It is not heavy, but certainly does the job. I also did
the Alton Brown tomato sauce last week and the food mill worked great.
I plan to do it a couple more times before my tomatoes give up.

--
Susan N.

Posted to rec.food.equipment

"The Cook" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 10 Sep 2007 17:07:57 -0400, "Dee Dee" >
> wrote:
>

>>"The Cook" > wrote in message
. ..

>>> Here is the one I bought from Amazon last year.
>>> http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...817874-2142266
>>>
>>> The only drawback is that the plates take some pressure to get in and
>>> the blade does too. The plates might go in better if I put a bit of
>>> oil on the edges. So far this summer I have put over 100 quarts of
>>> tomatoes through it. It is not hard to turn and it all goes in the
>>> dishwasher.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Susan N.

>>This one was the one that I was thinking about, even though the reviews
>>are
>>really varied.
>>
>>I've only had one food mill, and I loved the way it worked. First, the
>>blade goes around, then you turn it in the opposite direction to pull the
>>food up a bit, then you go in the first direction again. Is this the way
>>yours works, and all food mills work this way? The one I had, its blade
>>was
>>so substantial, and the pictures I see don't seem to show that.
>>
>>Thanks again.
>>Dee
>>

> Yes. Clockwise to press, counter to scrape up the stuff. I just did
> another 20 quarts of tomatoes this afternoon and my arm is not sore.
> And I am not but a few years behind you. The blade covers about 1/2
> the bottom. It is not heavy, but certainly does the job. I also did
> the Alton Brown tomato sauce last week and the food mill worked great.
> I plan to do it a couple more times before my tomatoes give up.
>

> --
> Susan N.

Thanks again, Susan. I'll let DH read the reviews and make this hard
decision for me. But most of all, I appreciate your review.
15 minutes ago we had Alton Brown's sauce over spaghetti -- it is really
rich, however, I think next time I may just use 1/2 or 2/3 of the wine
called for.

Thanks for the confirmation about the blade; I appreciate it.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.equipment

"Dee Dee" > wrote in message

> "The Cook" > wrote in message
>> On Mon, 10 Sep 2007 17:07:57 -0400, "Dee Dee" >
>> wrote:

>>>This one was the one that I was thinking about, even though the
>>>reviews are
>>>really varied.
>>>
>>>I've only had one food mill, and I loved the way it worked. First,
>>>the
>>>blade goes around, then you turn it in the opposite direction to pull
>>>the
>>>food up a bit, then you go in the first direction again. Is this the
>>>way
>>>yours works, and all food mills work this way? The one I had, its
>>>blade was
>>>so substantial, and the pictures I see don't seem to show that.
>>>
>>>Thanks again.
>>>Dee
>>>

>> Yes. Clockwise to press, counter to scrape up the stuff. I just did
>> another 20 quarts of tomatoes this afternoon and my arm is not sore.
>> And I am not but a few years behind you. The blade covers about 1/2
>> the bottom. It is not heavy, but certainly does the job. I also did
>> the Alton Brown tomato sauce last week and the food mill worked great.
>> I plan to do it a couple more times before my tomatoes give up.
>>

>> --
>> Susan N.

> Thanks again, Susan. I'll let DH read the reviews and make this hard
> decision for me. But most of all, I appreciate your review.
> 15 minutes ago we had Alton Brown's sauce over spaghetti -- it is
> really rich, however, I think next time I may just use 1/2 or 2/3 of
> the wine called for.
>
> Thanks for the confirmation about the blade; I appreciate it.
> Dee Dee

The classic around here is the "Foley Food Mill"

http://www.amazon.com/Mirro-Stainles...9560497&sr=8-1

They used to be galvanized. Now stainless.

Posted to rec.food.equipment

"Del Cecchi" > wrote in message

> The classic around here is the "Foley Food Mill"
>
> http://www.amazon.com/Mirro-Stainles...9560497&sr=8-1
>
> They used to be galvanized. Now stainless.

I looked at this one before, and the pic is so small that I couldn't decide
if it was the one I had before, but the name, "Foley," is very familiar.
Also it does say 'Heavy tin-plated steel ." This is what mine was, I'm
sure, but the tin didn't last.

What makes you say it's stainless, that's exactly what I want.
Do you see this one in stainless somewhere else?
Thanks so much.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.equipment

"Dee Dee" > wrote in message

> "Del Cecchi" > wrote in message
>

>> The classic around here is the "Foley Food Mill"
>>
>> http://www.amazon.com/Mirro-Stainles...9560497&sr=8-1
>>
>> They used to be galvanized. Now stainless.
>>

> I looked at this one before, and the pic is so small that I couldn't
> decide if it was the one I had before, but the name, "Foley," is very
> familiar.
> Also it does say 'Heavy tin-plated steel ." This is what mine was, I'm
> sure, but the tin didn't last.
>
> What makes you say it's stainless, that's exactly what I want.
> Do you see this one in stainless somewhere else?
> Thanks so much.
> Dee Dee

The title says stainless steel? I think it used to be tin plated but is
now stainless.
Anyway, a few seconds of googling turned up this page with a better
picture

http://www.goodmans.net/get_item_mi-...-food-mill.htm

and "stainless steel construction" in the description as well

Posted to rec.food.equipment

"Del Cecchi" > wrote in message

> "Dee Dee" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Del Cecchi" > wrote in message
>>

>>> The classic around here is the "Foley Food Mill"
>>>
>>> http://www.amazon.com/Mirro-Stainles...9560497&sr=8-1
>>>
>>> They used to be galvanized. Now stainless.
>>>

>> I looked at this one before, and the pic is so small that I couldn't
>> decide if it was the one I had before, but the name, "Foley," is very
>> familiar.
>> Also it does say 'Heavy tin-plated steel ." This is what mine was, I'm
>> sure, but the tin didn't last.
>>
>> What makes you say it's stainless, that's exactly what I want.
>> Do you see this one in stainless somewhere else?
>> Thanks so much.
>> Dee Dee

> The title says stainless steel? I think it used to be tin plated but is
> now stainless.
> Anyway, a few seconds of googling turned up this page with a better
> picture
>
> http://www.goodmans.net/get_item_mi-...-food-mill.htm
>
> and "stainless steel construction" in the description as well

Thanks for helping me.
I see tht it is goodmans, a hardware store.
And also the one at Amazon says, Ace Hardware.
I think I'll see if there are any Ace Hardware's around that might carry
them, or order me one to make sure.
Thanks so much for reminding me that the one I had was Foley.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Mon, 10 Sep 2007, The Cook > wrote:

>Here is the one I bought from Amazon last year.
>http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...817874-2142266
>
>The only drawback is that the plates take some pressure to get in and
>the blade does too. The plates might go in better if I put a bit of
>oil on the edges. So far this summer I have put over 100 quarts of
>tomatoes through it. It is not hard to turn and it all goes in the
>dishwasher.

The advantage of that model is it sits above the container you are milling
into. Most have the supports higher on the side and go down inside the
receiving container.

I have the Rosle food mill as shown he
http://www.chefsresource.com/rosle-food-mill.html
I use a 16 quart pot to cook my apples. Then this mill and an 11 quart tall
stock pot to mill in to.

Posted to rec.food.equipment

"Don Wiss" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 10 Sep 2007, The Cook > wrote:
>
>>Here is the one I bought from Amazon last year.
>>http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...817874-2142266
>>
>>The only drawback is that the plates take some pressure to get in and
>>the blade does too. The plates might go in better if I put a bit of
>>oil on the edges. So far this summer I have put over 100 quarts of
>>tomatoes through it. It is not hard to turn and it all goes in the
>>dishwasher.

> The advantage of that model is it sits above the container you are milling
> into. Most have the supports higher on the side and go down inside the
> receiving container.
>
> I have the Rosle food mill as shown he
> http://www.chefsresource.com/rosle-food-mill.html
> I use a 16 quart pot to cook my apples. Then this mill and an 11 quart
> tall
> stock pot to mill in to.
>
> Don <www.donwiss.com> (e-mail link at home page bottom).

Don, thanks for answering. The Rosle food mill is a beauty.
Today I bought at an actual Ace Hardware store the
Mirro Stainless Steel Foley Food Mill 3 1/2Qt.

It is exactly like the one I had before that was tinned steel; this one is
much lighter, but it will do the work for me, hopefully.
The Foley does sit very well onto the containers I used. The proof will be
in the use of it again in case anything has changed.

I had never bought Rosle before, but I bought as a result of reading or
seeing a America's Test Kitchen or Cook's Illlustrated, a
soup ladle. I swear by it. I had several ladles and put them all away.

Dee