Dwayne

Default Food Mill Questions

My wife cant eat anything with seeds in it, and after making salsa by
removing the seeds from everything by hand I was told about a food mill. I
have located them priced from $19 (veggie mill) to $89 (for food mills),
plastic to stainless steel, one to three size disks, and one that doesn't
specify how much it will hold ($19) to one that holds 4 quarts$49 and up).

I don't know what each will do other than they remove seeds and skin from
fruits. If I buy the small one for $19.00, will I find something I will
want to do later that will make me wish I had bought a 3 1/2 or 4 quart one?
I have already decided I would rather have stainless steel than plastic, but
need your help on deciding what else I should consider in making my
decision.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Dwayne
The Joneses

Dwayne wrote:

> My wife cant eat anything with seeds in it, and after making salsa by
> removing the seeds from everything by hand I was told about a food mill. I
> have located them priced from $19 (veggie mill) to $89 (for food mills),
> plastic to stainless steel, one to three size disks, and one that doesn't
> specify how much it will hold ($19) to one that holds 4 quarts$49 and up).
> I don't know what each will do other than they remove seeds and skin from
> fruits. If I buy the small one for $19.00, will I find something I will
> want to do later that will make me wish I had bought a 3 1/2 or 4 quart one?
> I have already decided I would rather have stainless steel than plastic, but
> need your help on deciding what else I should consider in making my
> decision. Thanks in advance for your input.

I'd get one about 2 qts if possible. Some foods will create a lot of waste and
unless you want to keep emptying the durn thing... Then again it kinda takes up
a lot of space when stored. Get the stainless steel one so you can chuck in
the dishwasher. Beware "chrome" covered aluminum or iron, it ain't the same.
Get the three screens, who knows, you might need them. IIRC, my Foley cost about
$30. and works fine if not overloaded.
I use mine to make nearly seedless blackberry jam, and tomato sauce. Needed that
comma - what a dreadful thought blackberry-tomato jam sauce. When a food mill
works, it will puree the food down to get thru the screen you use.
Edrena

Teri

"Dwayne" > wrote in message
news
> My wife cant eat anything with seeds in it, and after making salsa by
> removing the seeds from everything by hand I was told about a food mill.

> have located them priced from $19 (veggie mill) to $89 (for food mills),
> plastic to stainless steel, one to three size disks, and one that doesn't
> specify how much it will hold ($19) to one that holds 4 quarts$49 and up).
>
> I don't know what each will do other than they remove seeds and skin from
> fruits. If I buy the small one for $19.00, will I find something I will
> want to do later that will make me wish I had bought a 3 1/2 or 4 quart

one?
> I have already decided I would rather have stainless steel than plastic,

but
> need your help on deciding what else I should consider in making my
> decision.
>
> Thanks in advance for your input.
>
> Dwayne

I use mine (stainless steel) all the time to make tomato sauce - a coupla
people in my family have diverticulitis, so seeds have been banished. Since
I make a big pot of sauce, and then freeze in increments, the food mill (I
think mine is 2 or 3 quarts) is very handy.
Teri

Denise~*

Dwayne wrote:
> My wife cant eat anything with seeds in it, and after making salsa by
> removing the seeds from everything by hand I was told about a food mill. I
> have located them priced from $19 (veggie mill) to $89 (for food mills),
> plastic to stainless steel, one to three size disks, and one that doesn't
> specify how much it will hold ($19) to one that holds 4 quarts$49 and up).
>
> I don't know what each will do other than they remove seeds and skin from
> fruits. If I buy the small one for $19.00, will I find something I will
> want to do later that will make me wish I had bought a 3 1/2 or 4 quart one?
> I have already decided I would rather have stainless steel than plastic, but
> need your help on deciding what else I should consider in making my
> decision.
>
> Thanks in advance for your input.
>
> Dwayne

I found some pretty good prices here.

http://fantes.com/food_mills.htm#stainless
Denise~*

Dwayne wrote:
> My wife cant eat anything with seeds in it, and after making salsa by
> removing the seeds from everything by hand I was told about a food mill. I
> have located them priced from $19 (veggie mill) to $89 (for food mills),
> plastic to stainless steel, one to three size disks, and one that doesn't
> specify how much it will hold ($19) to one that holds 4 quarts$49 and up).
>
> I don't know what each will do other than they remove seeds and skin from
> fruits. If I buy the small one for $19.00, will I find something I will
> want to do later that will make me wish I had bought a 3 1/2 or 4 quart one?
> I have already decided I would rather have stainless steel than plastic, but
> need your help on deciding what else I should consider in making my
> decision.
>
> Thanks in advance for your input.
>
> Dwayne

I found some pretty good prices here.

http://fantes.com/food_mills.htm#stainless

Melba's Jammin'

In article >, "Dwayne"
> wrote:

> My wife cant eat anything with seeds in it, and after making salsa by
> removing the seeds from everything by hand I was told about a food mill.
> have located them priced from $19 (veggie mill) to $89 (for food mills),
> plastic to stainless steel, one to three size disks, and one that doesn't
> specify how much it will hold ($19) to one that holds 4 quarts$49 and
> up).
>
> I don't know what each will do other than they remove seeds and skin from
> fruits. If I buy the small one for $19.00, will I find something I will
> want to do later that will make me wish I had bought a 3 1/2 or 4 quart
> one?
> I have already decided I would rather have stainless steel than plastic,
> but
> need your help on deciding what else I should consider in making my
> decision.
>
> Thanks in advance for your input.
>
> Dwayne

A Vittorio food strainer has a berry screen available. Works great.
The screen that comes with it may allow some tomato seeds to pass
through it, but not an awful lot. Maybe that's okay for the missus,
maybe not. Maybe $40 at Fleet Farm. Come to think or it, theirs
may be a Norpro brand or Back to Basics -- seems identical to me. The
fantes.com page below looks like it has some good info -- I didn't read
it thoroughly.

http://www.kitchenemporium.com/cgi-b...d/18vw200.html

http://www.dehydrators.com/strainers.htm

http://fantes.com/food_mills.htm
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> More on 1-4-05 - Chicken Tortilla
Soup, and Swiss Steak.
limey

"Dwayne" wrote in message
> My wife cant eat anything with seeds in it, and after making salsa by
> removing the seeds from everything by hand I was told about a food mill.
> I have located them priced from $19 (veggie mill) to $89 (for food mills),
> plastic to stainless steel, one to three size disks, and one that doesn't
> specify how much it will hold ($19) to one that holds 4 quarts$49 and up).

<snipped>

> Dwayne

I have a stainless steel one that I really like. I've forgotten the make
but I ordered it through ChefsCatalog for about $35. It's good quality and
comes with three discs (fine, medium, coarse). I've used it a lot for
tomatoes and apples and would guess it holds about 2 quarts, but actually I
don't fill it to the top. Get stainless steel, not plastic and you'll have
it forever.

Dora

Melba's Jammin'

In article >, "Dwayne"
> wrote:

> My wife cant eat anything with seeds in it, and after making salsa by
> removing the seeds from everything by hand I was told about a food
> mill. I have located them priced from $19 (veggie mill) to $89 (for
> food mills), plastic to stainless steel, one to three size disks, and
> one that doesn't specify how much it will hold ($19) to one that
> holds 4 quarts$49 and up).
>
> I don't know what each will do other than they remove seeds and skin
> from fruits. If I buy the small one for $19.00, will I find
> something I will want to do later that will make me wish I had bought
> a 3 1/2 or 4 quart one? I have already decided I would rather have
> stainless steel than plastic, but need your help on deciding what
> else I should consider in making my decision.
>
> Thanks in advance for your input.

> Dwayne

Hey, Dwayne -- I forgot to mention that I have a Foley food mill
(plating over rustable something else) and a Victorio with the screen
that came with it as well as the berry screen.
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> More on 1-4-05 - Chicken Tortilla
Soup, and Swiss Steak.
"Are we going to measure or are we going to cook?" -Food writer
Mimi Sheraton
Dwayne

"Teri" > wrote in message
news

> "Dwayne" > wrote in message
> news

> I use mine (stainless steel) all the time to make tomato sauce - a coupla
> people in my family have diverticulitis,

That is what my wife has, but I didnt know how to spell it.

Dwayne

Dwayne

"Teri" > wrote in message
news

> "Dwayne" > wrote in message
> news

> I use mine (stainless steel) all the time to make tomato sauce - a coupla
> people in my family have diverticulitis,

That is what my wife has, but I didnt know how to spell it.

Dwayne

Richard Periut

Dwayne wrote:

> "Teri" > wrote in message
> news >
>>"Dwayne" > wrote in message
>>news

> > I use mine (stainless steel) all the time to make tomato sauce - a coupla

>>people in my family have diverticulitis,

> That is what my wife has, but I didnt know how to spell it.
>
> Dwayne

It's diverticulosis! Diverticulitis is when the diverticula become
infected (also known as left sided appendicitis.) Sometimes the latter
respond to a course of antibiotics, but eventually surgery is needed.

Rich

--
"Dum Spiro, Spero."

As long as I breath, I hope.

Cicero (Ancient Rome)

ø¤°`°¤ø,¸¸¸,ø¤°`°¤ø,¸¸¸,ø¤°`°¤ø,¸¸,ø¤°`°¤ø,¸¸¸,ø¤° `°¤ø,¸¸,ø¤°`°¤ø
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·.¸. ><((((º> ·´¯`·. , .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

Let there be fish!!!

Richard Periut

Dwayne wrote:

> "Teri" > wrote in message
> news >
>>"Dwayne" > wrote in message
>>news

> > I use mine (stainless steel) all the time to make tomato sauce - a coupla

>>people in my family have diverticulitis,

> That is what my wife has, but I didnt know how to spell it.
>
> Dwayne

It's diverticulosis! Diverticulitis is when the diverticula become
infected (also known as left sided appendicitis.) Sometimes the latter
respond to a course of antibiotics, but eventually surgery is needed.

Rich

--
"Dum Spiro, Spero."

As long as I breath, I hope.

Cicero (Ancient Rome)

ø¤°`°¤ø,¸¸¸,ø¤°`°¤ø,¸¸¸,ø¤°`°¤ø,¸¸,ø¤°`°¤ø,¸¸¸,ø¤° `°¤ø,¸¸,ø¤°`°¤ø
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·.¸. ><((((º> ·´¯`·. , .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

Let there be fish!!!

Richard Periut

Dwayne wrote:

> "Teri" > wrote in message
> news >
>>"Dwayne" > wrote in message
>>news

> > I use mine (stainless steel) all the time to make tomato sauce - a coupla

>>people in my family have diverticulitis,

> That is what my wife has, but I didnt know how to spell it.
>
> Dwayne

Actually the fable that eating seeds, et cetera can cause diverticulitis
is BS. As you can see, as per Uptodate (copyright,) there is only an
association with low fiber. There are no good quality scientific studies
which suppor the old wive'e tales.

UpToDate performs a continuous review of over 330 journals and other
resources. Updates are added as important new information is published.
The literature review for version 12.3 is current through August 2004;
this topic was last changed on June 26, 2003. The next version of
UpToDate (13.1) will be released in February 2005.

INTRODUCTION — Diverticular disease of the colon is common. This topic
review will focus on the epidemiology and pathophysiology of the
disorder. It is useful to begin with a series of definitions of the
terms that are commonly used:
A diverticulum is a sac-like protrusion of the colonic wall.

Diverticulosis merely describes the presence of diverticula.

Diverticulitis refers to inflammation of diverticula.

Diverticular disease is a term encompassing diverticulosis and
diverticulitis. Symptomatic diverticular disease includes hemorrhage,
inflammation (diverticulitis), or complications of diverticulitis such
as abscess, fistula, obstruction, or free perforation.

EPIDEMIOLOGY — Diverticular disease was uncommonly encountered at the
beginning of the twentieth century. As an example, the first report of
surgical resection for complicated diverticulitis was by Mayo in 1907
[1]. The prevalence has increased from 5 to 10 percent 80 years ago [2]
to 35 to 50 percent in an autopsy series published in 1969 [3]; there
are no recent population-based studies. The prevalence of diverticular
disease is age-dependent, increasing from less than 5 percent at age 40,
to 30 percent by age 60, to 65 percent by age 85 [4,5].

A male preponderance was noted in early series, but more recent studies
have suggested either equal distribution or a female preponderance [4].
This may be explained by a gender distribution which varies with age; in
one series, men were more often affected under age 50, there was a
slight female preponderance between the ages of 50 and 70, and a marked
female preponderance over age 70 [6]. An excess number of males has also
been noted for acute diverticulitis in patients under than 40 years of
age [7,8].

There are geographic variations both in the prevalence and pattern of
diverticulosis.
"Westernized" nations have prevalence rates of 5 to 45 percent,
depending upon the method of diagnosis and age of the population [3,9].
Diverticular disease in these countries is predominantly left-sided,
with right-sided diverticulitis being present in only 1.5 percent of
cases [10].

The findings are markedly different in Africa and Asia [2,11] where
the prevalence is less than 0.2 percent, and diverticulosis is usually
right-sided.

Japan, after adopting a more Western lifestyle, has experienced an
increase in the prevalence of right-sided diverticulosis. In one report
of 615 patients with colonic diverticular disease, right-sided
diverticula were present in approximately 70 percent of all patients and
were responsible for approximately 75 percent of cases of diverticulitis
[12]. A review of 13,947 barium enema examinations performed over a
15-year period in Japan revealed a steady increase in the incidence of
diverticulosis of the right colon [13]. Left-sided diverticula did not
increase in frequency over time. The increase in the incidence of
right-sided diverticula in Japan is similar to the increase in the
incidence of left-sided diverticula in westernized countries. A
right-sided predominance has also been noted in Singapore, where 70
percent of cases occur in patients less than 40 years old [14], and in
Hong Kong [15,16].

ETIOLOGY — The increase in incidence in the developed nations suggests
that environmental and lifestyle factors play an important role in the
pathogenesis of diverticular disease.

Dietary fiber intake — Several studies have suggested that low dietary
fiber predisposes to the development of diverticular disease [5,17,18]
although this hypothesis has not been confirmed in all studies
[11,19-23]. One report that evaluated a cohort of over 47,000 men
provided strong evidence for the role of dietary fiber [18]. After
adjustment for age, energy-adjusted total fat intake, and physical
activity, total dietary fiber intake was noted to be inversely
associated with the risk of symptomatic diverticular disease. The
relative risk was 0.58 for men in the highest quintile compared to those
in the lowest quintile for fiber intake. The observation that
diverticular disease is less common in vegetarians than nonvegetarians
is also compatible with a role for dietary fiber, since vegetables and
fruits are important sources of fiber (show table 1) [24].

If it is beneficial, dietary fiber may act by producing a large bulky
stool, resulting in a wider-bore colon that is less likely to permit
efficient segmentation and therefore less likely to develop diverticula
(see "Pathophysiology of diverticula formation" below) [5]. In addition,
increasing dietary fiber is often employed as first-line therapy for
treatment of constipation. However, there is no clear correlation
between constipation and diverticular disease, probably stemming from
the retrospective nature of most studies and the difficulties in
defining constipation in a large series of patients.

Other dietary factors — Other dietary factors that might contribute to
the pathogenesis of diverticular disease have been examined. There is no
substantially increased risk associated with smoking, caffeine, or
alcohol [25]. On the other hand, an association has been noted between
obesity in men under 40 years and acute diverticulitis. This finding is
compatible with observations that the risk of symptomatic diverticular
disease is particularly increased (relative risk 2.35 to 3.32) by a diet
characterized by a high intake of total fat or red meat and a low intake
of dietary fiber [18].

Physical activity — Lack of vigorous exercise also may be a risk factor
for diverticular disease. In a prospective study of almost 48,000
American men aged 40 to 75 who were free of known colonic disease, the
risk of developing symptomatic diverticular disease was inversely
related to overall physical activity (0.63 for highest versus lowest
extremes) after adjustment for age and dietary fat and fiber [26]. Most
of the decrease in risk with exercise was associated with vigorous
activity such as jogging and running. An interaction was noted between
physical activity and dietary fiber; men in the lowest quintile for both
had a relative risk of 2.56 compared to men in the highest quintile for
both. How physical activity might prevent diverticular disease is not known.

Possible relation with colon cancer — There may also be a relation
between diverticulosis and colon cancer. One series of 7000 patients
found an excess number of colon and rectal cancers in the first two
years after the diagnosis of diverticular disease but not with more
prolonged follow-up [27]. There was, however, a long-term excess of
left-sided colon cancers, suggesting a possible relation between these
tumors and diverticular disease.

LOCATION — A typical colonic diverticulum is a "false" or pulsion
diverticulum, ie, it does not contain all layers of the wall as a true
(congenital) diverticulum does; instead, mucosa and submucosa herniate
through the muscle layer, covered only by serosa (show histology 1).
Diverticula develop at four well-defined points around the circumference
of the colon, sites at which the vasa recta penetrate the circular
muscle layer. These vessels enter the wall on each side of the
mesenteric taenia and on the mesenteric border of the two antimesenteric
taeniae (show figure 1).

Diverticula are distributed unevenly in the colon. Ninety-five percent
of patients have sigmoid diverticula, while 35 percent also have more
proximal disease. Among the latter group, 7 percent have diverticula
throughout the colon, and 4 percent have diverticula limited to a
segment proximal to the sigmoid [28]. The location of diverticular
disease requiring surgery is similar, with 95 percent of all operative
cases involving the sigmoid [6].

PATHOPHYSIOLOGY OF DIVERTICULA FORMATION — The points at which
diverticula develop, ie, where vasa recta penetrate the bowel wall, are
considered to be areas of weakness [29]. Most patients with sigmoid
diverticula exhibit myochosis, which consists of thickening of the
circular muscle layer, shortening of the taeniae, and luminal narrowing.
There is no hypertrophy or hyperplasia of the bowel wall, but increased
elastin deposition is found in the taeniae [30]. There are also
structural changes in collagen that are similar to, but greater in
magnitude than, those that occur as a result of aging [31].

These changes may decrease resistance of the wall to intraluminal
pressure. Structural changes in the wall may also be responsible for the
appearance of diverticula at an early age in connective tissue disorders
such as Ehlers-Danlos and Marfan's syndromes and in autosomal dominant
polycystic kidney disease [32]. (See "Extrarenal manifestations of
polycystic kidney disease").

The law of Laplace explains the development of diverticula. The law
states that pressure P is proportional to wall tension T, and inversely
proportional to bowel radius R:

P = kT ÷ R

where k is a conversion factor. Since the sigmoid colon is the segment
of the colon with the smallest diameter, it will tend to be the site of
the highest pressure. This is not true under normal circumstances
because pressure should be the same throughout the colon. However,
segmentation of the colon (a motility process in which segmental
muscular contractions separate the lumen into chambers) is exaggerated
in diverticulosis, occluding both ends of the chamber during muscular
contraction [33]. This increases intraluminal pressure and may
predispose to herniation of mucosa. The neural basis for the abnormal
motility observed in patients with diverticulosis remains unclear. One
report found that a central event appeared to be upregulation of smooth
muscle M3 receptors [34].

Thus, abnormal colonic motility may predispose to the development of
diverticula. It has been suggested that dietary fiber, by producing a
large bulky stool, results in a wider-bore colon that is less likely to
permit efficient segmentation and therefore less likely to develop
diverticula [5].

Pathophysiology of diverticulitis — Diverticulitis, ie, inflammation of
diverticula, produces variable clinical manifestations, ranging from
subclinical inflammation to generalized peritonitis. The underlying
cause is micro- or macroscopic perforation of a diverticulum. It was
previously believed that obstruction of diverticula, eg, by fecoliths,
increased diverticular pressure and caused perforation; such obstruction
is now thought to be rare (show endoscopy 1 and show histology 1) [11].
The primary process is thought to be erosion of the diverticular wall by
increased intraluminal pressure or ins****ated food particles.
Inflammation and focal necrosis ensue, resulting in perforation.

The inflammation is frequently mild, and a small perforation is walled
off by pericolic fat and mesentery. This may lead to a localized abscess
or, if adjacent organs are involved, a fistula or obstruction. In
comparison, poor containment results in free perforation and peritonitis.

Pathophysiology of diverticular bleeding — As a diverticulum herniates,
the penetrating vessel responsible for the wall weakness at that point
becomes draped over the dome of the diverticulum, separated from the
bowel lumen only by mucosa (show endoscopy 2) [29]. Over time, the vasa
recta is exposed to injury along its luminal aspect, leading to
eccentric intimal thickening and thinning of the media. These changes
may result in segmental weakness of the artery, predisposing to rupture
into the lumen. Diverticular bleeding typically occurs in the absence of
diverticulitis [29]. (See "Colonic diverticular bleeding").

The anatomic relationship between diverticula and vasa recta is similar
in both the right and left colon; however, right-sided diverticula have
wider necks and domes. This could expose the vasa recta to injury over a
greater length, which could explain the higher incidence of right-sided
hemorrhage [29].

SUMMARY — Diverticula occur at points of weakness in the bowel wall
where blood vessels penetrate. The development of diverticula is
probably multifactorial, involving both increases in intraluminal
pressure and abnormalities in the bowel wall. Raised intraluminal
pressure may be caused by abnormalities in motility that predispose to
segmentation, and is likely to be exacerbated by a low fiber diet.

Histologic changes in the muscle and collagen of the bowel wall decrease
the tensile strength of the wall; these changes are similar to, but more
pronounced than, the changes that occur with age. Trauma to diverticula
may produce either inflammation, which results in perforation, or
changes in the vasa recta in the diverticular wall, which predisposes to
weakness and rupture of the vessel.

Use of UpToDate is subject to the Subscription and License Agreement.
REFERENCES
1. Mayo, WJ, Wilson, LB, Giffin, HZ. Acquired diverticulitis of the
large intestine. Surg Gynecol Obstet 1907; 5:8.
2. Painter, NS, Burkitt, DP. Diverticular disease of the colon: A
deficiency disease of Western civilization. Br Med J 1971; 2:450.
3. Hughes, LE. Postmortem survey of diverticular disease of the colon.
Gut 1969; 10:336.
4. Parks, TG. Natural history of diverticular disease of the colon.
Clin Gastroenterol 1975; 4:53.
5. Painter, NS, Burkitt, DP. Diverticular disease of the colon, a 20th
century problem. Clin Gastroenterol 1975; 4:3.
6. Rodkey, GV, Welch, CE. Changing patterns in the surgical treatment
of diverticular disease. Ann Surg 1984; 200:466.
7. Acosta, J, Grebenc, M, Doberneck, R, et al. Colonic diverticular
disease in patients 40 years old or younger. Am Surg 1992; 58:605.
8. Schauer, P, Ramos, P, Ghiatas, A, et al. Virulent diverticular
disease in young obese men. Am J Surg 1992; 164:443.
9. Manousos, ON, Truelove, SC, Lumsden, K. Prevalence of colonic
diverticulosis in general population of Oxford area. Br Med J 1967; 3:762.
10. Fischer, MG, Farkas, AM. Diverticulitis of the cecum and ascending
colon. Dis Colon Rectum 1984; 27:454.
11. Rege, RV, Nahrwold, DL. Diverticular disease. Curr Probl Surg 1989;
26:133.
12. Sugihara, K, Muto, T, Morioka, Y, et al. Diverticular disease of
the colon in Japan. A review of 615 cases. Dis Colon Rectum 1984; 27:531.
13. Miura, S, Kodaira, S, Shatari, T, et al. Recent trends in
diverticulosis of the right colon in Japan: retrospective review in a
regional hospital. Dis Colon Rectum. 2000;43:1383.
14. Ngoi, SS, Chia, J, Goh, MY, et al. Surgical management of right
colon diverticulitis. Dis Colon Rectum 1992; 35:799.
15. Markham, NI, Li, AKC. Diverticulitis of the right colon Experience
from Hong Kong. Gut 1992; 33:547.
16. Lo, CY, Chu, KW. Acute diverticulitis of the right colon. Am J Surg
1996; 171:244.
17. Painter, NS. The cause of diverticular disease of the colon, its
symptoms and complications: Review and hypothesis. J R Coll Surg Edinb
1985; 30:118.
18. Aldoori, WH, Giovannucci, EL, Rimm, EB, et al. A prospective study
of diet and the risk of symptomatic diverticular disease in men. Am J
Clin Nutr 1994; 60:757.
19. Talbot, JM. Role of dietary fiber in diverticular disease and colon
cancer. Fed Proc 1981; 40:2337.
20. Mendeloff, AI. A critique of "fiber deficiency". Dig Dis 1976; 21:109.
21. Ornstein, MH, Littlewood, ER, Baird, IM, et al. Are fibre
supplements really necessary in diverticular disease of the colon? A
controlled clinical trial. Br Med J (Clin Res Ed) 1981; 282:1353.
22. Brodribb, AJ. Treatment of symptomatic diverticular disease with a
high-fibre diet. Lancet 1977; 1:664.
23. Hodgson, WJ. The placebo effect. Is it important in diverticular
disease?. Am J Gastroenterol 1977; 67:157.
24. Nair, P, Mayberry, JF. Vegetarianism, dietary fibre and
gastrointestinal disease. Dig Dis 1994; 12:177.
25. Aldoori, WH, Giovannucci, EL, Rimm, EB, et al. A prospective study
of alcohol, smoking, caffeine, and the risk of symptomatic diverticular
disease in men. Ann Epidemiol 1995; 5:221.
26. Aldoori, WH, Giovannucci, EL, Rimm, EB, et al. Prospective study of
physical activity and the risk of symptomatic diverticular disease. Gut
1995; 36:276.
27. Stefansson, T, Ekbom, A, Sparen, P, et al. Increased risk of left
sided colon cancer in patients with diverticular disease. Gut 1993; 34:499.
28. Parks, TG. Natural history of diverticular disease of the colon. A
review of 521 cases. Br Med J 1969; 4:639.
29. Meyers, MA, Alonso, DR, Gray, GF, et al. Pathogenesis of bleeding
colonic diverticulosis. Gastroenterology 1976; 71:577.
30. Whiteway, J, Morson, BC. Elastosis in diverticular disease of the
sigmoid colon. Gut 1985; 26:258.
31. Wess, L, Eastwood, MA, Wess, TJ, et al. Cross linking of collagen
is increased in colonic diverticulosis. Gut 1995; 37:91.
32. Scheff, RT, Zuckerman, G, Harter, H, et al. Diverticular disease in
patients with chronic renal failure due to polycystic kidney disease.
Ann Intern Med 1980; 92:202.
33. Painter, NS, Truelove, SC, Ardran, GM, et al. Segmentation and the
localization of intraluminal pressures in the human colon, with special
reference to the pathogenesis of colonic diverticula. Gastroenterology
1965; 49:169.
34. Golder, M, Burleigh, DE, Belai, A, et al. Smooth muscle cholinergic
denervation hypersensitivity in diverticular disease. Lancet 2003; 361:1945.

--
"Dum Spiro, Spero."

As long as I breath, I hope.

Cicero (Ancient Rome)

ø¤°`°¤ø,¸¸¸,ø¤°`°¤ø,¸¸¸,ø¤°`°¤ø,¸¸,ø¤°`°¤ø,¸¸¸,ø¤° `°¤ø,¸¸,ø¤°`°¤ø
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·.¸. ><((((º> ·´¯`·. , .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

Let there be fish!!!

jmcquown

Richard Periut wrote:
> Dwayne wrote:
>
>> "Teri" > wrote in message
>> news >>
>>> "Dwayne" > wrote in message
>>> news

>> > I use mine (stainless steel) all the time to make tomato sauce -

>> a coupla
>>
>>> people in my family have diverticulitis,

>> That is what my wife has, but I didnt know how to spell it.
>>
>> Dwayne
>>

> It's diverticulosis! Diverticulitis is when the diverticula become
> infected (also known as left sided appendicitis.) Sometimes the latter
> respond to a course of antibiotics, but eventually surgery is needed.
>
> Rich

Funny, my diverticulosis occurs on the right side. My SO just underwent
surgery for diverticulitis. He had been treated with antibiotics and also
told to refrain from eating seeds, nuts and hard to digest foods such as
popcorn. He will continue to do so even after the surgery. He picks the
seeds out of tomatoes on his burgers and gave up strawberries because of the
tiny seeds, despite loving them sliced in his All-Bran cereal. We were both
told low-fiber diets can be a cause of this, we both eat plenty of fiber so
I'm not sure where that falls into the picture.

Jill

limey

"limey" > wrote in message

> I have a stainless steel one that I really like. I've forgotten the make
> but I ordered it through ChefsCatalog for about $35. It's good quality
> and comes with three discs (fine, medium, coarse). I've used it a lot for
> tomatoes and apples and would guess it holds about 2 quarts, but actually
> I don't fill it to the top. Get stainless steel, not plastic and you'll
> have it forever.
>
> Dora

Wow. I checked the price in Chefscatalog.com . My food mill bears the
Chefs name and was about $35 plus shipping. The present quote is $49.99
plus shipping.

Dora

Richard Periut

jmcquown wrote:

> Richard Periut wrote:
>
>>Dwayne wrote:
>>

>>>"Teri" > wrote in message
>>>news >>>

>>>a coupla

>>>That is what my wife has, but I didnt know how to spell it.
>>>
>>>Dwayne
>>>

>>It's diverticulosis! Diverticulitis is when the diverticula become
>>infected (also known as left sided appendicitis.) Sometimes the latter
>>respond to a course of antibiotics, but eventually surgery is needed.
>>
>>Rich

> Funny, my diverticulosis occurs on the right side. My SO just underwent
> surgery for diverticulitis. He had been treated with antibiotics and also
> told to refrain from eating seeds, nuts and hard to digest foods such as
> popcorn. He will continue to do so even after the surgery. He picks the
> seeds out of tomatoes on his burgers and gave up strawberries because of the
> tiny seeds, despite loving them sliced in his All-Bran cereal. We were both
> told low-fiber diets can be a cause of this, we both eat plenty of fiber so
> I'm not sure where that falls into the picture.
>
> Jill

Surgeons. Sad but true; they have no clue when it comes to medicine (non
-surgical that is.) It's actually scary; the things I've seen.

Yes it can happen on both sides, but it's more common on the left (where
the colon is for some reason more susceptible to these diverticula.

Rich

--
"Dum Spiro, Spero."

As long as I breath, I hope.

Cicero (Ancient Rome)

Let there be fish!!!

Karen

I've heard that the no-seeds theory for the treatment of diverticulosis
has been tossed out now. Like milk used to be suggested for those with
ulcers, it's just not so, anymore.

But, it's such a painful thing when it flares up, I'd probably not
chance the seeds, even if I heard that.

Karen