Posted to rec.food.equipment

Default Cutting board material

"Drew Cutter" > wrote:
> Looking for a cutting board with a colander. Bamboo or wood ? Any brands that
> are good ?

There's another neat material that cutting boards are made of, but they don't
come with a colander. They are made by Epicurean and have either a wood tone or
a black color. They are made of some kind of wood composite and are thinner and
lighter than most other cutting boards. The wood tone ones look rather nice to
me, sort of like wood.

I love the one I got, and I have quite a few other cutting boards made of wood
or plastic. This one is the best of the lot. It does have one problem when it is
first used: it has a really funky odor when it is wet. This problem goes away
with a few washings (I wash mine by hand).

Here's what Amazon sells made of this material:

http://tinyurl.com/2tukwb

--
wff_ng_7 (at) verizon (dot) net

Posted to rec.food.equipment

On May 16, 3:02 pm, "wff_ng_7" > wrote:
> "Drew Cutter" > wrote:
> > Looking for a cutting board with a colander. Bamboo or wood ? Any brands that
> > are good ?

> There's another neat material that cutting boards are made of, but they don't
> come with a colander. They are made by Epicurean and have either a wood tone or
> a black color. They are made of some kind of wood composite and are thinner and
> lighter than most other cutting boards. The wood tone ones look rather nice to
> me, sort of like wood.
>
> I love the one I got, and I have quite a few other cutting boards made of wood
> or plastic. This one is the best of the lot. It does have one problem when it is
> first used: it has a really funky odor when it is wet. This problem goes away
> with a few washings (I wash mine by hand).
>
> Here's what Amazon sells made of this material:
>
> http://tinyurl.com/2tukwb
>
> --
> wff_ng_7 (at) verizon (dot) net

Got my curiousity up on this. I googled and found this about the
material.

http://tinyurl.com/24haha

Posted to rec.food.equipment

"Dee Dee" > wrote:
> Got my curiousity up on this. I googled and found this about the
> material.
>
> http://tinyurl.com/24haha

Who woulda thunk it? ;-)
Same material for skateboard ramps and cutting boards!

I found a few web sites from the manufacturer.

http://www.richlite.com/ - the main one

http://www.skatelite.com/home.html - for the skateboard ramp material
http://www.epicureancs.com/- for the cutting boards

They also list several other applications from the main page.

I first saw the cutting boards a few years ago and then finally decided to buy
one. I'm glad I did.

--
wff_ng_7 (at) verizon (dot) net

Posted to rec.food.equipment

"Drew Cutter" > wrote:
> Epicurean and draining board ? Would this work just a well as colander ?
>
> http://www.forkitchenandbath.com/p/c...rainboard.html

That Epicurean has nothing to do with the Epicurean I'm talking about. The word
"epicurean" is used a lot in the food world, so it's just another instance of
it. That cutting board is made of hardwood and is made specifically to be used
in this sink, where it is also pictured:

http://www.forkitchenandbath.com/p/s...tchensink.html

It wouldn't be useful on any other sink than the one pictured, as it is sized
specifically to fit in that sink.

I don't think there are any combination cutting board/colander items made out of
that Epicurean (Richlite) material.

Personally I just use an expandable over the sink stainless mesh colander and
use a cutting board on the counter adjacent to it. My colander looks similar to
this one, but there are a ton of them out there on the net:

http://auctionhunter.net/images/GiantColander.jpg

(This is just a sample picture, not that I recommend this one. I'm not sure the
one I have is even made now as I got it a decade ago.)

--
wff_ng_7 (at) verizon (dot) net

Posted to rec.food.equipment

On May 17, 12:49 pm, "wff_ng_7" > wrote:
> Personally I just use an expandable over the sink stainless mesh colander and > use a cutting board on the counter adjacent to it. My colander looks similar to > this one, but there are a ton of them out there on the net:
>
> http://auctionhunter.net/images/GiantColander.jpg
>
> (This is just a sample picture, not that I recommend this one. I'm not sure the
> one I have is even made now as I got it a decade ago.)
>
> --
> wff_ng_7 (at) verizon (dot) net

That is the colander I have, plus I have an el cheapo plastic that
fits over the sink that is relatively flat with holes in it. This is
particularly good for laying the dirty vegetables on and hosing/
spraying them off. The colander you linked above I will use it for
draining paneer, pasta, etc.

I particularly like a big plastic board adjacent to my sink for
chopping. I don't feel that a colander/chopping block combination
would be adequately large enough to do vegetable cleaning and chopping
- for my needs.

Also the big plastic board (I have 4 rather large ones) can be put in
the dishwasher and a clean one brought out if I have several jobs to
do for the same meal.

Dee

Posted to rec.food.equipment

"Dee Dee" > wrote:
> That is the colander I have, plus I have an el cheapo plastic that
> fits over the sink that is relatively flat with holes in it. This is
> particularly good for laying the dirty vegetables on and hosing/
> spraying them off. The colander you linked above I will use it for
> draining paneer, pasta, etc.

The colander I have I use for rinsing fruits and vegetables mostly. I'll cut the
bottom off a bunch of celery and toss all the stalks in, then one by one trim
the stalks and rinse them off, putting them into my Tupperware celery box
similar to this one (mine is white):

I'm sure glad I got that thing twenty years ago when my sister-in-law was
selling Tupperware. I don't think it's made anymore.

There's a stainless flat drainer thing I have my eyes set on perhaps similar you
your flat drainer:

http://betterhouseware.net/cart/images/1433.jpg

> I particularly like a big plastic board adjacent to my sink for
> chopping. I don't feel that a colander/chopping block combination
> would be adequately large enough to do vegetable cleaning and chopping
> - for my needs.

Boy have I got a big plastic board that I use sometimes. My sister was trying to
unload it at a yard sale, but at 75 cents, I guess it was too expensive. Someone
did pick it up and look at it. So my sister gave it to me for free. It sure
comes in handy when I am making ground meat and make a pretty big mess.

--
wff_ng_7 (at) verizon (dot) net