Posted to rec.food.equipment

Default gas toaster oven?

Does anybody make a gas-fired toaster oven? By "toaster oven"
I mean a physically small, fast response oven that provides
simultaneous top and bottom browning of dry foods and the ability
to provide uniform heating and top browningf

I've become fond of cooking outside on the porch, for which
propane-fired stoves and grills excell. Gas grills don't
make good ovens and I've not seen any appliance that burns
gas and can simultaneously toast both sides of a piece of
bread, vertical or horizontal (horizontal preferred)..

Any thoughts appreciated, right now the best answer seems
to be a portable generator, which is somewhat lacking in
finesse.

8-)

bob prohaska

Posted to rec.food.equipment

bob prohaska's usenet account > wrote:
> Does anybody make a gas-fired toaster oven? By "toaster oven"
> I mean a physically small, fast response oven that provides
> simultaneous top and bottom browning of dry foods and the ability
> to provide uniform heating and top browningf

I am not aware of anything that specific.

> I've become fond of cooking outside on the porch, for which
> propane-fired stoves and grills excell. Gas grills don't
> make good ovens and I've not seen any appliance that burns
> gas and can simultaneously toast both sides of a piece of
> bread, vertical or horizontal (horizontal preferred)..

Viking makes an outdoor gas oven, but that's just a regular
gas oven built for outdoor use.

> Any thoughts appreciated, right now the best answer seems
> to be a portable generator, which is somewhat lacking in
> finesse.

You could get one of those campfire toasters which clamps
the bread between two wire panels and you hold it over the
fire (grill) and rotate it as needed.

Some grills have an infrared burner mounted vertically at the
back to use for rotiserie cooking, but I'm not sure that's
real helpful, just different. I found one kind of expensive
outdoor gas pizza oven, but that's not really what you want.

If you go with the portable generator, Honda's seem to be
especially quiet and unobtrusive.

Bill Ranck
Blacksburg, Va.

Posted to rec.food.equipment

wrote:

> You can't be a beggar either to afford one of these ;-)

http://www.kalamazoogourmet.com/pizza_oven.php

No Kidding!

I'm starting to think about some sort of ceramic or metal liner
for a cheap gas grill to make a decent oven. When the hot weather
comes it will be useful.

> I did a few searches with variations of "outdoor gas toaster oven"
> and found all sort of things, but really nothing like what you
> really want. Good luck.

A pair of radiant shop heaters isn't too far from delivering the
heat and response time I'm looking for, but it's not close to the
physical conformation needed.

Your suggestion of a generator and a cheap electric toaster oven is
looking better by the minute!

Thanks for the link!

bob prohaska

> Bill Ranck
> Blacksburg, Va.

Posted to rec.food.equipment

"bob prohaska's usenet account" > wrote in message
> Does anybody make a gas-fired toaster oven? By "toaster oven"
> I mean a physically small, fast response oven that provides
> simultaneous top and bottom browning of dry foods and the ability
> to provide uniform heating and top browningf
>
> I've become fond of cooking outside on the porch, for which
> propane-fired stoves and grills excell. Gas grills don't
> make good ovens and I've not seen any appliance that burns
> gas and can simultaneously toast both sides of a piece of
> bread, vertical or horizontal (horizontal preferred)..
>
> Any thoughts appreciated, right now the best answer seems
> to be a portable generator, which is somewhat lacking in
> finesse.
>
> 8-)
>
> bob prohaska

There is this option: http://tinyurl.com/2nu32o

But, if you are doing your cooking on the porch, why not install (or have
installed) an outdoor electrical receptacle so you can use a standard
toaster or toaster oven? I think that may be more economical than a
generator or radiant shop heaters. Just my 2 cents!

Posted to rec.food.equipment

MCPON > wrote:

> There is this option: http://tinyurl.com/2nu32o

That looks worth a try. It won't make good toast, but it might
bake bread when the weather's too hot to light the kitchen oven.

> But, if you are doing your cooking on the porch, why not install (or have
> installed) an outdoor electrical receptacle so you can use a standard
> toaster or toaster oven? I think that may be more economical than a
> generator or radiant shop heaters. Just my 2 cents!

If it wasn't a rented house I'd have to agree. But, in the back of
my mind, there just seems to be something wrong with using electricity
to make heat for cooking.

bob prohaska

Posted to rec.food.equipment

"bob prohaska's usenet account" > wrote in message
t...
> MCPON > wrote:
>>
>> There is this option: http://tinyurl.com/2nu32o
>>

> That looks worth a try. It won't make good toast, but it might
> bake bread when the weather's too hot to light the kitchen oven.
>

>> But, if you are doing your cooking on the porch, why not install (or have
>> installed) an outdoor electrical receptacle so you can use a standard
>> toaster or toaster oven? I think that may be more economical than a
>> generator or radiant shop heaters. Just my 2 cents!

> If it wasn't a rented house I'd have to agree. But, in the back of
> my mind, there just seems to be something wrong with using electricity
> to make heat for cooking.
>
> bob prohaska

Hmm, seems like you have a choice between two clichés:

"Necessity is the mother of invention."
"Make do or do without."

Best of luck! ;-) Let us know what you come up with.