Posted to rec.food.equipment

Default Kitchen Remodeling--Granite counter

I suppose a counter is a little off topic, but hopefully not too much.

We are remodeling our kitchen and have these questions about granite
counters.

The literature says granite cooktops are heat resistant.

Do people take hot skillets or pans from the cooktop or oven and put them on
the granitite?

Does the granite need to be resealed? How often?

Thanks

Bill
Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Mon, 15 Jan 2007 21:00:33 -0500, Bill Hogsett
> wrote:

>I suppose a counter is a little off topic, but hopefully not too much.

Not at all.

>We are remodeling our kitchen and have these questions about granite
>counters.
>
>The literature says granite cooktops are heat resistant.
>
>Do people take hot skillets or pans from the cooktop or oven and put them on
>the granitite?

Yes. No problems.

>Does the granite need to be resealed? How often?

There are new supposedly permanently-sealed granite counters, but I
haven't seen a report on them yet. Resealing is a simply process, done
once a year, twice if you're super-conservative. Apart from moving
things off the counter, it takes 10 minutes of your time.

-- Larry

Posted to rec.food.equipment
Dee Dee is offline

Bill Hogsett > wrote in
:

> I suppose a counter is a little off topic, but hopefully not too much.
>
> We are remodeling our kitchen and have these questions about granite
> counters.
>
> The literature says granite cooktops are heat resistant.
>
> Do people take hot skillets or pans from the cooktop or oven and put
> them on the granitite?

Yes. This is one "feature" of granite that I like a lot. It's useful,
too, in acting as a heatsink to cool down pots or casseroles.

> Does the granite need to be resealed? How often?

My granite installer said to reseal every 5 years, but I imagine it's based
on the type of granite you purchase. Different granites have different
porousities (is that a word?). My granite is 7 years old now (I haven't
resealed it) and it looks brand new. I love it.

Dee

Posted to rec.food.equipment

"Bill Hogsett" > wrote in message
>I suppose a counter is a little off topic, but hopefully not too much.
>
> We are remodeling our kitchen and have these questions about granite
> counters.
>
> The literature says granite cooktops are heat resistant.
>
> Do people take hot skillets or pans from the cooktop or oven and put them
> on
> the granitite?

The problem is not from heat but from scratches like dragging a heavy cast
iron ware across it. So you do need protection to guard your investment.

> Does the granite need to be resealed? How often?

I have a kitchen that needs it every 6 months and one that doesn't need
reseal at all.

> Thanks
>
> Bill

Posted to rec.food.equipment

Instead of granite, have you looked at Cambria?

http://www.cambriausa.com/learn_faq.cfm

Non-porous, seamless, no maintenance quartz in many designs.

Andy
Posted to rec.food.equipment

Bill Hogsett wrote:
> I suppose a counter is a little off topic, but hopefully not too much.
>
> We are remodeling our kitchen and have these questions about granite
> counters.
>
> The literature says granite cooktops are heat resistant.
>
> Do people take hot skillets or pans from the cooktop or oven and put them on
> the granitite?
>
> Does the granite need to be resealed? How often?
>
> Thanks
>
> Bill

We are in the process of building our home and have done most of the
kitchen. We thought we wanted granite but after seeing Silestone I
changed my mind. It doesn't look like fake granite as Corian or Zodiaq
tends to. I loved the colors and the Microban that is in the stone. It
is heat resistant and easy to clean. No sealing ever is required.

Melondy
Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Tue, 16 Jan 2007 10:45:25 -0800, "# Fred #" >
wrote:

>The problem is not from heat but from scratches like dragging a heavy cast
>iron ware across it. So you do need protection to guard your investment.

Silestone, and others do not scratch. Quartz might be a
consideration for you.

>> Does the granite need to be resealed? How often?

Quartz does not need resealing....ever.

Silestone® is the only countertop with built-in Microban®
antimicrobial product protection to safely fight the growth of
odor-causing bacteria 24/7 for the life of the product. As a result,
Silestone is easier to clean and stays cleaner in between cleanings.

Posted to rec.food.equipment

> Silestone, and others do not scratch.

Don't know about that. If you could cut it for the kitchen top than you
could scratch it.

Quartz might be a
> consideration for you.

Quartz would be nice but I see granite slabs everwhere and its so very cheap
if you install it yourself.

Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Tue, 16 Jan 2007 20:41:13 GMT, Melondy Hill >
wrote:

>.... We thought we wanted granite but after seeing Silestone I
>changed my mind. It doesn't look like fake granite as Corian or Zodiaq
>tends to. I loved the colors and the Microban that is in the stone. It
>is heat resistant and easy to clean. No sealing ever is required.

Like "water-resistant," "heat-resistant" is a meaningless advertising term.
Everything is heat resistant.

What about its stated sensitivity to harsh chemicals (like Drano and oven
cleaner) and direct sunlight? Has anyone actually experienced color changes in
Silestone due to UV rays? How severe does it get?

We considered Silestone, but couldn't find a color that went with our intended
design. It looked nice, though.

-- Larry

Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Tue, 16 Jan 2007 15:54:18 -0800, "# Fred #" >
wrote:

>and its so very cheap
>if you install it yourself.

Mrs. Morgan....you can do this yourself. Just drag that two ton
piece right here in the garage and you can do it. Easy to do and
you don't even need anyone to help you. Honest.. you can do it.
Honest.... come back Mrs. Morgan.......come back...please....??!!

Posted to rec.food.equipment

We have granite workbenches in our apartment we moved into 18 months ago and
put hot pans etc straight onto it. This is the first time we've had granite
so it's been hard changing the habit of a life time not putting hot pans
down straight on the kitchen bench! Granite is also great for pastry,
kneading dough etc. I would never have anything else in the kitchen after
this.

"Bill Hogsett" > wrote in message
>I suppose a counter is a little off topic, but hopefully not too much.
>
> We are remodeling our kitchen and have these questions about granite
> counters.
>
> The literature says granite cooktops are heat resistant.
>
> Do people take hot skillets or pans from the cooktop or oven and put them
> on
> the granitite?
>
> Does the granite need to be resealed? How often?
>
> Thanks
>
> Bill

Posted to rec.food.equipment

Default Kitchen Remodeling--Granite counter - one problem

I've just thought of one problem with granite - I use a mortar and pestle a
lot and in apartment the noise really echoes thro the floor! I try to
remember to put them on something soft before I pound.

"Bill Hogsett" > wrote in message
>I suppose a counter is a little off topic, but hopefully not too much.
>
> We are remodeling our kitchen and have these questions about granite
> counters.
>
> The literature says granite cooktops are heat resistant.
>
> Do people take hot skillets or pans from the cooktop or oven and put them
> on
> the granitite?
>
> Does the granite need to be resealed? How often?
>
> Thanks
>
> Bill

Posted to rec.food.equipment

> Granite is cheap only if you buy low-end granite.

For the $150/sf to $300/sf typical installed prices I could get the same
granite w/o installation for about $15/sf. Is this low-end?

Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Wed, 17 Jan 2007 12:50:46 -0800, "# Fred #" > wrote:

>> Granite is cheap only if you buy low-end granite.

>For the $150/sf to $300/sf typical installed prices I could get the same
>granite w/o installation for about $15/sf. Is this low-end?

$15 is low-end, but at $150-300, it better have hand-injected gold leaf.

-- Larry
Posted to rec.food.equipment

"pltrgyst" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 17 Jan 2007 12:50:46 -0800, "# Fred #" >
> wrote:
>
>>> Granite is cheap only if you buy low-end granite.

>>For the $150/sf to $300/sf typical installed prices I could get the same
>>granite w/o installation for about $15/sf. Is this low-end?

> $15 is low-end, but at $150-300, it better have hand-injected gold leaf.
>
> -- Larry

$150-300 installed is what is typically charged in places like Home Depot
but you could buy the *same* granite not installed for around $15. The point
was, for just the material, and if you know where to shop, its not so
expensive. BTW $150/sf installed is about average in my area - no gold
provided.

Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Wed, 17 Jan 2007 14:23:07 -0800, "# Fred #" >
wrote:

>> $15 is low-end, but at $150-300, it better have hand-injected gold leaf.

>$150-300 installed is what is typically charged in places like Home Depot....

Ummm, Fred, maybe the poeple in your local Home Depot just don't like
you. 8

I guess you haven't been around here much, since I just renovated my
kitchen in the first half of 2006, including both cabinets and granite
from Home Depot -- installed by their contractor, Innovative Stone. I
posted exhaustively here about the experience.
(http://www.xhost.org/kitchen)

The Home Depots around here, Washington DC -- a fairly expensive area
-- sell no granite which reaches anywhere near $150/sf.

-- Larry

Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Wed, 17 Jan 2007 19:56:36 -0500, Peter A >
wrote:

>I will say - going to Home Depot for granite is like going to Red
>Lobster for seafood.

Well, I don't need fugu, and I'm happy with the tasty swordfish. 8

That's probably about right. You're not going to get the quality and
workmanship you'd find in a multi-million dollar house, but you can
get very nice looking, good qualtiy materials with professional
workmanship. We're quite happy with the end result in our $650K
townhouse; I don't know where else we could have gotten our granite at
anywhere near the price we paid -- over 80 sf for $5399 installed.

Home Depot's national granite supplier and installer is Innovative
Stone. I will agree that they don't sell through Home Depot the most
exotic, highest grade of granite which exists , but you might want to
check their Web site, www.innovativestone.com, for more references to
use in judging their competence.

-- Larry (doesn't eat at Dead Lobster either...)

Posted to rec.food.equipment

Andy wrote:
> Instead of granite, have you looked at Cambria?
>
> http://www.cambriausa.com/learn_faq.cfm
>
> Non-porous, seamless, no maintenance quartz in many designs.
>
> Andy

Andy, can you set hot pots down on the Cambria, as one can with
granite?
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.equipment

> I guess you haven't been around here much, since I just renovated my
> kitchen in the first half of 2006, including both cabinets and granite
> from Home Depot -- installed by their contractor, Innovative Stone. I
> posted exhaustively here about the experience.
> (http://www.xhost.org/kitchen)
>
> -- Larry

I read every word of your installation journal and enjoyed it. But I
really was looking forward to what happened after May 2nd:
"Waiting for grinding of 1/4" off one granite backsplash to create
proper width opening for stove."

How did that get resolved?

Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.equipment

pltrgyst wrote:
> On Wed, 17 Jan 2007 19:56:36 -0500, Peter A >
> wrote:

> Home Depot's national granite supplier and installer is Innovative
> Stone. I will agree that they don't sell through Home Depot the most
> exotic, highest grade of granite which exists , but you might want to
> check their Web site, www.innovativestone.com, for more references to
> use in judging their competence.

Innovative Stone claims their stone doesn't need resealed for 15 years.
I tend to believe this; probably because I want to.

Their piece from India
http://www.stonemark.com/sampledetai...mlqk45ifkuguy1
from the whole slab pictured
http://www.stonemark.com/view_slab.aspx?tiles_id=6

is exotic enough for me - my humble home needs no higher grade.

Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.equipment

pltrgyst wrote:
> On Tue, 16 Jan 2007 20:41:13 GMT, Melondy Hill >
> wrote:
>
> >.... We thought we wanted granite but after seeing Silestone I
> >changed my mind. It doesn't look like fake granite as Corian or Zodiaq
> >tends to. I loved the colors and the Microban that is in the stone. It
> >is heat resistant and easy to clean. No sealing ever is required.

> Like "water-resistant," "heat-resistant" is a meaningless advertising term.
> Everything is heat resistant.
>
> What about its stated sensitivity to harsh chemicals (like Drano and oven
> cleaner) and direct sunlight? Has anyone actually experienced color changes in
> Silestone due to UV rays? How severe does it get?
>
> We considered Silestone, but couldn't find a color that went with our intended
> design. It looked nice, though.
>
> -- Larry

I was curious about the UV issue and color fading, so I put a quartz
sample under constant sunlight with a portion taped off for many
months. I didn't see any fading, but I did have a tough time getting
the baked-on duct tape goo off! It may be an overstated, CYA issue.
BTW, I wouldn't put drano on granite, either, but I haven't tried it.

I went with Rosa Grey Silestone, and like it. I never have to worry
about stains. My only beef is with Home Depot demanding payment in
full up front. That was almost too much for me, but the appearance of
other brands of quartz counters didn't interest me. Here's a pic that
does Rosa Grey justice:
http://www.fiveoakshomes.com/active-...s/CIMG0970.JPG

I would shy away from putting extremely hot objects on either granite
or quartz.... not because either will melt, but because I heard several
experts in the field warn of the chance of cracking from thermal shock
for both materials. Even if the risk is 0.1%, is it worth screwing up
a very expensive countertop?

Posted to rec.food.equipment

mike wrote:
> I went with Rosa Grey Silestone, and like it. I never have to worry
> about stains. My only beef is with Home Depot demanding payment in
> full up front. That was almost too much for me, but the appearance of
> other brands of quartz counters didn't interest me. Here's a pic that
> does Rosa Grey justice:
> http://www.fiveoakshomes.com/active-...s/CIMG0970.JPG

I love the Rosa Grey both in Silestone, and I believe there is a color
Rosa Grey in granite, very similar if I'm not mistaken. You made a
great choice.

> I would shy away from putting extremely hot objects on either granite
> or quartz.... not because either will melt, but because I heard several
> experts in the field warn of the chance of cracking from thermal shock
> for both materials. Even if the risk is 0.1%, is it worth screwing up
> a very expensive countertop?

Right now I'm using a good-quality wooden board on one side of my stove
to lift hot pans onto. I don't like this inconvenience, as I am always
putting used utensils on it as I cook, so I end up covering it with
aluminum foil.
As I now have a new smooth top range, I'm even gun-shy about putting
hot pans anywhere on it that is cool because of the same sort of shock
that I've heard about. I wonder if there is any answer to this
problem. What do you do?

Posted to rec.food.equipment

On 18 Jan 2007 15:35:20 -0800, "Dee Dee" > wrote:

>> I guess you haven't been around here much, since I just renovated my
>> kitchen in the first half of 2006, including both cabinets and granite
>> from Home Depot -- installed by their contractor, Innovative Stone. I
>> posted exhaustively here about the experience.
>> (http://www.xhost.org/kitchen)

>I read every word of your installation journal and enjoyed it. But I
>really was looking forward to what happened after May 2nd:
>"Waiting for grinding of 1/4" off one granite backsplash to create
>proper width opening for stove."
>
>How did that get resolved?

Home Depot extorted a $100 fee for a "house call," and about a month later,
after more wrangling and two more visits to bitch at the store manager, a guy
from Ital Granite showed up, removed that 24"-long backsplash piece, trimmed it,
and cemented it back in place. It took him about a half-hour total. So I paid an
extra $100, but it got done and ended well.

We're well pleased with the total job, and all our visitors have given the
kitchen raves. I'm just glad it's over. 8 Now we're just cooking and enjoying
the utility of the new layout, which is a great improvement.

-- Larry
Posted to rec.food.equipment

On 18 Jan 2007 15:44:14 -0800, "mike" > wrote:

>... My only beef is with Home Depot demanding payment in
>full up front....

They do indeed, but they are very good about hanging onto the money and not
paying their contractors until you have approved the work.

That was almost too much for me, but the appearance of
>other brands of quartz counters didn't interest me. Here's a pic that
>does Rosa Grey justice:
>http://www.fiveoakshomes.com/active-...s/CIMG0970.JPG

That would look just great with grey cabinets...

>I would shy away from putting extremely hot objects on either granite
>or quartz.... not because either will melt, but because I heard several
>experts in the field warn of the chance of cracking from thermal shock
>for both materials. Even if the risk is 0.1%, is it worth screwing up
>a very expensive countertop?

No, agreed -- but I do not hesitate to place still hot pots on the granite once
they've been off the burner for a minute or two. Granite is an excellent heat
sink (for defrosting, as well).

-- Larry
Posted to rec.food.equipment

On 18 Jan 2007 15:53:57 -0800, "Dee Dee" > wrote:

>As I now have a new smooth top range, I'm even gun-shy about putting
>hot pans anywhere on it that is cool because of the same sort of shock
>that I've heard about. I wonder if there is any answer to this
>problem. What do you do?

I slide and move hot pans anywhere on the cooktop at any time. Never have had a
problem.

Given the extremely quick heatup of today's ribbon elements, I don't see why it
should be a concern.

On the granite, I usually use the 8" and 12" square silicone hot pad / pot
holders that come in various colors from all the big-name kitchen stores. They
work great, and are excellent shock cushions as well..

-- Larry
Posted to rec.food.equipment

> If you can find granite that you really like at $15 a ft(2), that's
> great. And if you know how to install it, which requires a lot a special
> knowledge about the extra weight, stresses, and so on, then go for it.

In my area (Bay Area), price ranges from $5 to over $35 per foot dependent
on the type of granite. It comes in something like 25" width x 6', 8'or 10'
lengths and comes with a factory bullnose across the front edge and you
could order the bullnose on the side(s). I've seen one other edge treatment
other then bullnose but that is it. For the island you could order a larger
slab with bullnose on three sides and field installed the other bullnose.
Price per foot is higher of course. The island is not one large piece but
two pieces butt jointed at the factory.

Cutting for an over mount sink is not a problem - 10 minute job. Cutting for
an undermount is a real challenge - takes about 3 hours and you need a lot
of skill. Same skill required with bullnose fabrication on site.

Most pieces required only two guys and the island three or more. Be very
careful on the piece with the cutout.

I think its doable for most serious DIYers if you stick with the over mount
sink.

Posted to rec.food.equipment

"pltrgyst" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 17 Jan 2007 14:23:07 -0800, "# Fred #" >
> wrote:
>
>>> $15 is low-end, but at $150-300, it better have hand-injected gold leaf.

>>$150-300 installed is what is typically charged in places like Home
>>Depot....

> Ummm, Fred, maybe the poeple in your local Home Depot just don't like
> you. 8

I must be thinking about another high end granite place. Anyway I went to
Expo yesterday and the granite starts around $75/sf but if you want a
fancier edge, its $40 to $80 per linear foot and the undermount cutouts are
$325 each.

So assuming you have 40 feet of edge and went for the $80 edge treatment
with one under mount for the kitchen and one under mount for the island this
will bring the price up to somewhere over $9K for you 80sf granite or a over
$112/sf.

> I guess you haven't been around here much, since I just renovated my
> kitchen in the first half of 2006, including both cabinets and granite
> from Home Depot -- installed by their contractor, Innovative Stone. I
> posted exhaustively here about the experience.
> (http://www.xhost.org/kitchen)

Wow, this is like reading War and Peace. On one of my kitchen projects, I
did the demo and my contractor did the cabinet and granite installation.
This was with an under mount sink and a pretty good size island. One
contractor, two guys and two days - end of story, almost. They screw up on a
few things but it only took me couple of hours to fix it myself.

> The Home Depots around here, Washington DC -- a fairly expensive area
> -- sell no granite which reaches anywhere near $150/sf.
>
> -- Larry

Posted to rec.food.equipment

mike > wrote:

> I would shy away from putting extremely hot objects on either granite
> or quartz.... not because either will melt, but because I heard several
> experts in the field warn of the chance of cracking from thermal shock
> for both materials. Even if the risk is 0.1%, is it worth screwing up
> a very expensive countertop?

Define "extremely hot" a little better. Candymakers have been
pouring out molten candy in the 250 to 300 degrees F range onto granite
and marble slabs for more than a hundred years. Most home cooking
pots are unlikely to be hotter than that, especially if there is any
liquid water left in the pot. Stuff coming out of the oven might
be hotter though.

Bill Ranck
Blacksburg, Va.
Posted to rec.food.equipment

Dee Dee said...

> Andy wrote:
>> Instead of granite, have you looked at Cambria?
>>
>> http://www.cambriausa.com/learn_faq.cfm
>>
>> Non-porous, seamless, no maintenance quartz in many designs.
>>
>> Andy

> Andy, can you set hot pots down on the Cambria, as one can with
> granite?
> Dee Dee

I dunno. Quartz is rock, I don't see why not. Anybody?

Andy

Posted to rec.food.equipment

Melondy Hill wrote:

> We are in the process of building our home and have done most of the
> kitchen. We thought we wanted granite but after seeing Silestone I
> changed my mind. It doesn't look like fake granite as Corian or Zodiaq
> tends to. I loved the colors and the Microban that is in the stone. It
> is heat resistant and easy to clean. No sealing ever is required.
>
> Melondy

Melondy, do you remove hot pans from the stove directly to your
Silestone counter?

Thanks,
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.equipment

Andy wrote:
> Dee Dee said...
>

> > Andy wrote:
> >> Instead of granite, have you looked at Cambria?
> >>
> >> http://www.cambriausa.com/learn_faq.cfm
> >>
> >> Non-porous, seamless, no maintenance quartz in many designs.
> >>
> >> Andy

> > Andy, can you set hot pots down on the Cambria, as one can with
> > granite?
> > Dee Dee

> I dunno. Quartz is rock, I don't see why not. Anybody?
>
> Andy

It is my understanding that it is not ALL or solid quartz, but that the
quartz pieces are put together with a substance.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.equipment

wrote:

> > > Define "extremely hot" a little better. Candymakers have been
> > > pouring out molten candy in the 250 to 300 degrees F range onto granite
> > > and marble slabs for more than a hundred years. Most home cooking

> > Just thinking -- I've only seen marble slabs for candy-making, usually
> > "marbled" white, which I assumed made it easier to see the candy.
> > Doesn't mean that there isn't granite used; I just don't know.
> > Is marble harder or softer than granite -- well, I guess I could
> > 'google' it. :-))

> I've seen both, and water cooled stainless steel tables as well.
> Marble is softer and I've been trying to find out if there is
> a reason why marble seems so prevelant. I need to get a stone
> slab for my wife's shop and it seems to me granite would not get
> worn down by metal implements as easily as marble. I *think*
> marble is used because it's easier to see stuff on the white
> background, but I'm trying to find out from the candy masters
> if there are cooling rate differences or other reasons.
>
> Bill Ranck
> Blacksburg, Va.

Let us know when you find out -- very interesting. Will your wife use
it for candy-making?
Yes, fudge shows up beautifully on white marble; whereas I would think
that white candy would be beautiful on a dark slab of granite. Also,
perhaps marble is traditional in western cultures? Don't know.
Dee Dee
Toms Brook, VA

Posted to rec.food.equipment

Dee Dee said...

> Andy wrote:
>> Dee Dee said...

>> > Andy, can you set hot pots down on the Cambria, as one can with
>> > granite?
>> > Dee Dee

>> I dunno. Quartz is rock, I don't see why not. Anybody?
>>
>> Andy

> It is my understanding that it is not ALL or solid quartz, but that the
> quartz pieces are put together with a substance.
> Dee Dee

Dee Dee,

I can't advise any further than what I said since I don't have Cambria. I
was debating on installing this product myself. I have no connection or
interest in the company.

All the best,

Andy
Posted to rec.food.equipment

"Dee Dee" > wrote in message
ups.com...

> Andy wrote:
>> Instead of granite, have you looked at Cambria?
>>
>> http://www.cambriausa.com/learn_faq.cfm
>>
>> Non-porous, seamless, no maintenance quartz in many designs.
>>
>> Andy

> Andy, can you set hot pots down on the Cambria, as one can with
> granite?
> Dee Dee

Don't know anything about Cambria but if its quartz then it should take the
heat. Also what I've seen in my local area is granite countertop is usually
3/4" thick and quartz is 1-1/8" thick and doesn't require a plywood backing.
Granite has many styles of edge treatments but don't see that in quarts.
YMMV