Posted to rec.food.equipment

Default Roaster for 10-15 people

"Drew Cutter" > wrote in message
> Looking to cook for 10 or more people . Turkey , goose . How do i go
> about finding the right size roaster ?

You pick the size of the roaster based on the size of the bird or birds you
intend to roast. I have some friends who used to have this huge gobbler
that was more of a pet and a nuisance than anything else. I don't recall a
single time I stepped into their yard that this monster didn't try to jump
and hook my leg with it's dew claws. If you were to have roasted the whole
thing at once you'd need a washtub to roast it in. Thankfully, coyotes got
him one night.
Low sides make for a crispier skin, they need to be high enough to catch the
drippings and low enough to allow the air to circulate around the bird. I
roast most birds impaled on a can of beer that is half full place upright on
a pan that can catch the splatter and drippings. A sheet pan with high
sides works best. With larger birds I use a large juice can half full of
aromatics and beer. Or roast outside on the grill and dispense with the pan
altogether. Just impale the bird on the can and place on the grill. You
don't have to use beer as the liquid, orange juice, tomato juice, onions,
rosemary etc. can be used, just make sure the can is only half full of
liquid and don't use highly flammable liquids like, whiskey or vodka etc..
You'll need two good tongs after cooking with this method. One to shove
down the gullet of the bird and hold it while using the other to twist and
remove the can which tends to stick to the bird.