Posted to rec.food.equipment

Default Roaster for 10-15 people

Drew Cutter wrote:
> Looking to cook for 10 or more people . Turkey , goose . How do i go
> about finding the right size roaster ?

Large roasters, usually the enamelled steel variety, are easily found
in Goodwill and other church or civic-org. managed 2nd hand shops.
Doesn't hurt to start there. Puts you in the re-cycling chain and
supports a not-for-profit mission. Remember to get a wire rack...

Posted to rec.food.equipment

"Will" > wrote in message
ups.com...

> Drew Cutter wrote:
> > Looking to cook for 10 or more people . Turkey , goose . How do i go
> > about finding the right size roaster ?

> Large roasters, usually the enamelled steel variety, are easily found
> in Goodwill and other church or civic-org. managed 2nd hand shops.
> Doesn't hurt to start there. Puts you in the re-cycling chain and
> supports a not-for-profit mission. Remember to get a wire rack...

I disagree on the wire rack, I've never pulled a bird off of a wire rack
without having some of the crispy skin stick and burn to the rack. I like
an upright roasted bird, you can purchase an upright roasting rack for big
bucks, though a beer can works better. The purpose of a wire rack is to
allow heat to crisp the underside of the bird. Those wire racks which you
lay the bird on are a chore to clean. Stand the bird upright on a can and
throw it away afterwards. You can also slap that bird down on a vegetable
rack of carrots, celery, fennel, potatoes, onions, salt pepper and olive oil
lightly then eat the vegetable wire rack.

Posted to rec.food.equipment

> I disagree on the wire rack, I've never pulled a bird off of a wire rack
> without having some of the crispy skin stick and burn to the rack...

>You can also slap that bird down on a vegetable
> rack of carrots, celery, fennel, potatoes, onions, salt pepper and olive oil
> lightly then eat the vegetable wire rack.

To your point, you can set a few carrots or celery sticks (potato skins
are best!) across the rack <g>, as well, so I haven't had the problem
with sticking, though I've seen it plenty of times. You can truss the
bird well and shift a bit of flour across the bottom. That helps too.
Folks tend to baste with salted butter and that sticks. Salt on
anything does not release well.

I'm not keen on the can thing. Too much steam in the cavity.

Then there is the fact that Rachel Ray does it...