Default De Longhi Sorrento Espresso/Cappuccino Maker

Hi

I've never posted here before, but this looked like a good place to ask
about the above (deLonghi Sorrento).

I work in a charity shop & recently aquired a Sorrento coffee maker.
Unfortunately as it was a donation, it came without instructions. I
have worked out how to work the espresso part of the machine, but have
absolutely *no* idea how to use the 'milk frothing' part ... the
problem is that there is only one on/off switch (no separate switch to
activate the 'frothing' function).

It's clearly a very basic model, but it makes wonderful coffe & I'd
love to know how to make cappuccinos with it.

If anyone is able to help with this, I'd be most grateful.

Thanks,

Anna.

Posted to rec.food.drink.coffee
mdahlor

Anna,
If there is only one switch, then your frothing wand is most likly
activated by a knob of some sort (usually on the side above the wand
itself). If you turn the knob and nothing happens, give it a minute as
it may be taking some time to actually heat the water and make the
steam. If you have a picture, or can find a photo on the web, that
would help me help you a lot more. In regards to actually foaming
milk, there are tons of web sites devoted to that subject. One of the
better sites is coffeegeek.com and they have an article about that very
subject

http://www.coffeegeek.com/guides/frothingguide

The trick is to "surf" your milk. This means keeping the frothing tip
just enough below the surface of the milk to ariate it. In most cases,
you should hear a kissing/hissing sound to let you know you're in the
right spot. Hope that helps!

Posted to rec.food.drink.coffee

mdahlor wrote:
> Anna,
> If there is only one switch, then your frothing wand is most likly
> activated by a knob of some sort (usually on the side above the wand
> itself). If you turn the knob and nothing happens, give it a minute as
> it may be taking some time to actually heat the water and make the
> steam. If you have a picture, or can find a photo on the web, that
> would help me help you a lot more. In regards to actually foaming
> milk, there are tons of web sites devoted to that subject. One of the
> better sites is coffeegeek.com and they have an article about that very
> subject
>
> http://www.coffeegeek.com/guides/frothingguide
>
> The trick is to "surf" your milk. This means keeping the frothing tip
> just enough below the surface of the milk to ariate it. In most cases,
> you should hear a kissing/hissing sound to let you know you're in the
> right spot. Hope that helps!

Hi Anna,

I have a De Longhi Expresso maker of some sort. I will have to look at
the model and see just what it is. The largest problem I have with it
is not using it. When I don't use it for long periods of time, I have
to tear the thing apart and clean the tubes inside. However, I live in
an area with really hard water. So the hard water deposit build up,
and when the scale inside the tubes get dry, it blocks up the tubes.

So, you to get the steam to work, you may have to tear the thing apart
and clean out the tubes real well with some kind of coffee pot scale
cleaner. (I use vinegar most the time, but I can't spell very well
some days!) There are some stronger cleaners you can get that will
work when that one doesn't.

The De Longhi I have does have a knob on the side to turn the steam on.
Also, it is best to us a frothing picture. Keep the frothing picture
cold.

roland