mikejyg

Default why is peet's coffee so dark?

i just bought a bag of peet's house blend coffee (whole bean) from a
reputable local shop and after i opened the bag i was shocked to see
how oily and dark it was. i still wanted to give it a try just because
of the peet's name, so i went ahead to grind it with my burr grinder.
what a mistake, it jamed my ginder - the first time since i had it for
more than 3 years.

i still managed to get a cup and i have to say this thing is nasty. it
doesn't have any of the coffee aroma but stink. i guess it's not
surprising, since such dark roast will sure burn off all the delicate
flavors.

i just wonder why they have to burn their coffee straight into charcoal
and oil? after such a bad experience, one thing is certain - this is
the end of peet's coffee for me, ever.

smithfarms pure kona

On 10 Jan 2005 08:52:03 -0800, "mikejyg" > wrote:

>i just bought a bag of peet's house blend coffee (whole bean) from a
>reputable local shop and after i opened the bag i was shocked to see
>how oily and dark it was. i still wanted to give it a try just

because
>of the peet's name, so i went ahead to grind it with my burr grinder.
>what a mistake, it jamed my ginder - the first time since i had it

for
>more than 3 years.
>
>i still managed to get a cup and i have to say this thing is nasty.

it
>doesn't have any of the coffee aroma but stink. i guess it's not
>surprising, since such dark roast will sure burn off all the delicate
>flavors.
>
>i just wonder why they have to burn their coffee straight into

charcoal
>and oil? after such a bad experience, one thing is certain - this is
>the end of peet's coffee for me, ever.

About oil on the outside of beans--it is unstable IMHO and will go
rancid. I think that causes that unbearable smell and flavor.

And then I think there are people who like that flavor.

It all makes the world go round
aloha
Thunder
smithfarms.com
Farmers of 100% Kona Coffee
& other Great Stuff
smithfarms pure kona

On 10 Jan 2005 08:52:03 -0800, "mikejyg" > wrote:

>i just bought a bag of peet's house blend coffee (whole bean) from a
>reputable local shop and after i opened the bag i was shocked to see
>how oily and dark it was. i still wanted to give it a try just

because
>of the peet's name, so i went ahead to grind it with my burr grinder.
>what a mistake, it jamed my ginder - the first time since i had it

for
>more than 3 years.
>
>i still managed to get a cup and i have to say this thing is nasty.

it
>doesn't have any of the coffee aroma but stink. i guess it's not
>surprising, since such dark roast will sure burn off all the delicate
>flavors.
>
>i just wonder why they have to burn their coffee straight into

charcoal
>and oil? after such a bad experience, one thing is certain - this is
>the end of peet's coffee for me, ever.

About oil on the outside of beans--it is unstable IMHO and will go
rancid. I think that causes that unbearable smell and flavor.

And then I think there are people who like that flavor.

It all makes the world go round
aloha
Thunder
smithfarms.com
Farmers of 100% Kona Coffee
& other Great Stuff
Gene

Cannot help but wonder if your "bad" Peets coffee was a result of its
being old. Where did you buy it? How (and for how long) did you store
it? We have used and have very much liked Peets Blend 101 for several
years and have had no problems with our burr grinders using it.
-Gene

Richard Feldman

Peet's style is to roast their beans on the darker side. As beans are
roasted to higher temperatures, the oils in the beans will come to the
surface. This does not mean the coffee is rancid. The coffee you purchased
may have been old or kept under undesirable conditions.

"mikejyg" > wrote in message
oups.com...
>i just bought a bag of peet's house blend coffee (whole bean) from a
> reputable local shop and after i opened the bag i was shocked to see
> how oily and dark it was. i still wanted to give it a try just because
> of the peet's name, so i went ahead to grind it with my burr grinder.
> what a mistake, it jamed my ginder - the first time since i had it for
> more than 3 years.
>
> i still managed to get a cup and i have to say this thing is nasty. it
> doesn't have any of the coffee aroma but stink. i guess it's not
> surprising, since such dark roast will sure burn off all the delicate
> flavors.
>
> i just wonder why they have to burn their coffee straight into charcoal
> and oil? after such a bad experience, one thing is certain - this is
> the end of peet's coffee for me, ever.

Comet

Peets takes credit for creating the dark roast craze which was carried
over to Starbucks. It is all about your preference and their coffe is
very good..

The problem with dark roast is that is can turn poor quality beans into
good. But if you have a high quality beans such as Kona or Costa Rica
Tarrazu, it still tastes good dark but with a medium roast you enjoy
the full flavor of the gourmet coffee. My favorites are at
www.volcanicacoffee.com.

What many roasters have been doing is dark roasting low qualiyt
(including robusta beans) and calling it high quality gourmet coffee.
Most consumers don't know the difference.

Comet

Craig Bergren

On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 17:04:18 -0600, wrote:

> On 23 Jan 2005 18:24:55 -0800, "Comet" > wrote:
>
>>Peets takes credit for creating the dark roast craze which was carried
>>over to Starbucks. It is all about your preference and their coffe is
>>very good..
>>
>>The problem with dark roast is that is can turn poor quality beans into
>>good. But if you have a high quality beans such as Kona or Costa Rica
>>Tarrazu, it still tastes good dark but with a medium roast you enjoy the
>>full flavor of the gourmet coffee. My favorites are at
>>www.volcanicacoffee.com.
>>
>>What many roasters have been doing is dark roasting low qualiyt
>>(including robusta beans) and calling it high quality gourmet coffee.
>>Most consumers don't know the difference.
>>
>>Comet

> Actually, the conclusion is that many customers LIKE the difference.
>
> I only like darker-roasted beans. "Traditional" roasted beans make icky
> tasting coffee, to me!
>

> ("icky" -- that's a technical term!_

I discovered on an American flight from Chicago to Cleveland that the
burnt bean flavor masks the flavor of the gunk growing in the water tanks
of the aircraft. American didn't serve Starbucks, but the guy sitting next
to me was in the coffee service business. The coffee wasn't quite as icky
as usual. He attributed it to the fact that they had just cleaned the
water tanks a couple of weeks previous. He went on to explain that the
pressurized cabin messes up your sense of taste and smell. At United
you don't have that problem because the burnt bean taste of the Starbucks
overpowers just about every defect possible in coffee.

CB