andrew

Default Why is Peet's coffee different

Peet's coffee has a different texture from the coffee (their beans)
that I brew at home and the cups that I buy from other shops. Any
Peets alumns or other knowledgable joe drinkers able to explian the
difference for me.

Thanks,
Andrew

Cumberpach

"andrew" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Peet's coffee has a different texture from the coffee (their beans)
> that I brew at home and the cups that I buy from other shops. Any
> Peets alumns or other knowledgable joe drinkers able to explian the
> difference for me.
>
> Thanks,
> Andrew

Peet who ?

Pete

Cumberpach

"andrew" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Peet's coffee has a different texture from the coffee (their beans)
> that I brew at home and the cups that I buy from other shops. Any
> Peets alumns or other knowledgable joe drinkers able to explian the
> difference for me.
>
> Thanks,
> Andrew

Peet who ?

Pete

Claudia Cornejo

Peet's Coffee and Tea are chains in northern California, originally from
Berkeley.

http://www.peets.com/who_we_are/history_vine.asp

Claudia

"Cumberpach" > wrote in message

> "andrew" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>> Peet's coffee has a different texture from the coffee (their beans)
>> that I brew at home and the cups that I buy from other shops. Any
>> Peets alumns or other knowledgable joe drinkers able to explian the
>> difference for me.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Andrew
>>

> Peet who ?
>
> Pete

There could be a few reasons.

Freshness. I don't know what Peet's stocking process is but possibly
the coffee you drink in the store isn't pulled from the same batch that
they're selling in the bags. I roast my own coffee and find that the
flavor changes over the first few days after roasting. I don't belong
to the school that says you have to wait a day after roasting because I
like the various flavors but there is a difference in fresh roasted vs.
roasted one or two days ago.

The water. A town can get its water from different sources. I grew up
in Berkeley near the original Peet's and the water I drank at home
tasted distinctly different from the water I drank at the high school.

Heat. If your coffee brewer doesn't get the water to the same
temperature Peet's equipment does, it won't extract the same mix of
flavors.

Cleaning. If you just rinse and wipe out your coffee pot when you're
done for the day instead of using hot water and soap you're leaving
oils behind. Yesterday's oil will flavor today's coffee.