Jeff Clinton

Default flavoring

does anyone know how to flavor coffee beans either before or after roasting.

Scott

<http://www.thecoffeefaq.com/#flavorings>

--
to respond (OT only), change "spamless.invalid" to "optonline.net"

<http://www.thecoffeefaq.com/>
Mark

I roast my own beans and don't normal flavor them but the site
www.u-roast-em.com sell little bottles of coffee flavoring to flavor
roasted beans. I have tried them and they are very good.
Mark

Steve Ackman

On Sat, 25 Dec 2004 05:50:09 -0500, Jeff Clinton > wrote:
> does anyone know how to flavor coffee beans either before or after roasting.

The recommendation from the manufacturers should
be heeded, but will normally state that coffee should
be flavored within 24 hours after roasting, but ideally
as soon as they're down to room temperature.
Rate for both propylene glycol (pet-safe antifreeze)
and ethyl alcohol based flavors is 2% to 3% by weight
depending on the specific flavoring.

The ethyl alcohol based flavors are not as common
probably due to the $22 hazmat charge by UPS.

Method for mixing flavor is up to you. Some people
put coffee beans and flavoring in a plastic bag and
shake it up. Others use a glass or stainless bowl with
a large spoon. The main thing is just to get the
flavors as evenly coated on the beans as possible.

If you're doing this as a home-roasting operation,
you'll need a fairly precise scale. In order to
accurately flavor, say, 100 gms of beans, you'll need
to add 2 or 3 grams of flavor, again, depending on
the manufacturer's recommendation for that specific
flavor.

Caution: These flavors are very strong and when you
get them on your hands, a simple washing won't get the
stench^H^H^H^H^H^H aroma off. When doing large amounts,
even wearing gloves, the airborne molecules can settle
on your skin and hair, and hours later, people in the
bank line will start sniffing, wondering who spilled
the maple syrup. (For some reason, any combination
of flavors always ends up later on smelling like maple.
Go figure.)

--
Steve Ackman
http://twoloonscoffee.com (Need beans?)

New Butter Flavoring Even Worse Than Old Butter Flavoring Mark Thorson General Cooking 24 19-08-2012 08:50 PM
Spice or flavoring suggestilon [email protected] General Cooking 11 27-06-2011 03:26 PM
Maple flavoring - where do you buy it? [email protected] General Cooking 35 10-10-2008 08:42 PM
starbucks flavoring?? Spoons Coffee 8 25-12-2004 05:53 AM
What is "Natural Butter Flavoring?" TOM KAN PA General Cooking 9 28-10-2003 12:50 AM