TOM KAN PA

Default What is "Natural Butter Flavoring?"

My wife is doing a women's nutrition study at The University of Pittsburgh. One
of the items she has to eliminate is butter. Sam's sells a great garlic
crouton. She quit using these because one of the ingredients is "Natural Butter
Flavoring." It seems to me that if this was butter, they'd simply list
"Butter" as an ingredient.
What is "Natural Butter Flavoring?"

jmcquown

TOM KAN PA wrote:
> My wife is doing a women's nutrition study at The University of
> Pittsburgh. One of the items she has to eliminate is butter. Sam's
> sells a great garlic crouton. She quit using these because one of the
> ingredients is "Natural Butter Flavoring." It seems to me that if
> this was butter, they'd simply list "Butter" as an ingredient.
> What is "Natural Butter Flavoring?"

Probably dehydrated, powdered butter. OTOH, could be just some chemical
designed to taste like butter. Read the label.

Jill

Frogleg

On 25 Oct 2003 14:14:13 GMT, c (TOM KAN PA) wrote:

>My wife is doing a women's nutrition study at The University of Pittsburgh. One
>of the items she has to eliminate is butter. Sam's sells a great garlic
>crouton. She quit using these because one of the ingredients is "Natural Butter
>Flavoring." It seems to me that if this was butter, they'd simply list
>"Butter" as an ingredient.
>What is "Natural Butter Flavoring?"

http://www.cfsan.fda.gov/~lrd/CF101-22.HTML

Is it the nutrition study that requires the elimination of butter, or
your wife? From relatively vague FDA labeling guidelines, "natural
butter flavoring" contains some elements of butter. Once again, as in
vegetarian ingredients, commercial processed foods include a vast
array of additives which require research to pin down to exact
components.

I have never made garlic croutons (for Caesar salad) with butter. Oil
and garlic seem to do fine.

TOM KAN PA > wrote:
> My wife is doing a women's nutrition study at The University of Pittsburgh. One
> of the items she has to eliminate is butter. Sam's sells a great garlic
> crouton. She quit using these because one of the ingredients is "Natural Butter
> Flavoring." It seems to me that if this was butter, they'd simply list
> "Butter" as an ingredient.
> What is "Natural Butter Flavoring?"

Is there a phone number on the package of croutons? If so, your best
option is probably to call the phone number to ask your question.

Blair P. Houghton

TOM KAN PA > wrote:
>My wife is doing a women's nutrition study at The University of Pittsburgh. One
>of the items she has to eliminate is butter. Sam's sells a great garlic
>crouton. She quit using these because one of the ingredients is "Natural Butter
>Flavoring." It seems to me that if this was butter, they'd simply list
>"Butter" as an ingredient.
>What is "Natural Butter Flavoring?"

Cholesterol with the oil and water removed.

--Blair
"Another modren conweenience."

JLove98905

I recently started a thread asking what the heck "natural flavoring" means. My
understanding is that while the end flavor and the original source need not be
the same (for example, natural orange flavor doesn't have to come from
oranges), the origins have to be somehow organic in order for it to be called
natural.

So, natural butter flavor sounds to me like it could come from butter, or from
some other (organic) source, which probably has a lot of the same qualities as
butter would. So if the fat or cholesterol is of concern, natural butter flavor
may be just as bad as natural butter.
-Jen
Half the people you know are below average. -Steven Wright

Jack Schidt®

"TOM KAN PA" > wrote in message
> My wife is doing a women's nutrition study at The University of

Pittsburgh. One
> of the items she has to eliminate is butter. Sam's sells a great garlic
> crouton. She quit using these because one of the ingredients is "Natural

Butter
> Flavoring." It seems to me that if this was butter, they'd simply list
> "Butter" as an ingredient.
> What is "Natural Butter Flavoring?"

Could it be maltodextrin? That's an ingredient listed on the label of
"Butter Buds", that faux butter powder.

Jack Fake

levelwave

Jack Schidt® wrote:

> Could it be maltodextrin? That's an ingredient listed on the label of
> "Butter Buds", that faux butter powder.

nah... I got a 10 pound bag of the stuff lying around here somewhere...
It's basically a flavorless complex-carb made from dextrose... In my
line of work it's added to "meal replacement" powders to give them a
carbohydrate count without raising the sugar level... pretty misleading
though - as Maltodextrin has a Glycemic Index equal to that of pure
glucose... not exactly what you want in a meal replacement... or butter
for that matter

~john!

alzelt

Jack Schidt® wrote:

>>Flavoring." It seems to me that if this was butter, they'd simply list
>>"Butter" as an ingredient.
>>What is "Natural Butter Flavoring?"
>>

> Could it be maltodextrin? That's an ingredient listed on the label of
> "Butter Buds", that faux butter powder.
>
> Jack Fake

Too many damn letters in that "natural" product to eat it.
--
Alan

"If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion, and
avoid the people, you might better stay home."
--James Michener

Jack Schidt®

"alzelt" > wrote in message

> Jack Schidt® wrote:
>

> >>Flavoring." It seems to me that if this was butter, they'd simply list
> >>"Butter" as an ingredient.
> >>What is "Natural Butter Flavoring?"
> >>

> > Could it be maltodextrin? That's an ingredient listed on the label of
> > "Butter Buds", that faux butter powder.
> >
> > Jack Fake
> >

> Too many damn letters in that "natural" product to eat it.
> --

Maybe if it was hyphenated, it could appear as two courses.

Jack Menu-Entree