Snow

Default Krups Artese 01

I have a Krups Artese 01 model 920 espresso maker. I need to replace
the E.S.E. filter basket that came with it. I have tried the Krups
web site as well as numerous other sites looking for the part without
any luck. Does anyone know where I could find the filter basket short
of buying a new one then returning it.
Thanks

Default Top Drip Makers under $100?

Hi, Braun did, unfortunately discontinue the KF-187, and yes, you're right,
it just might be the best drip coffee maker made in the last 20 years for
quite a number of reasons.

The KF-180 is still in production, the only one of the "FlavorSelect" line
still being sold in the US. The KF-180 easily heats the water well to the
top of the desired temperature range for propper brewing of coffee by the
drip method. It has the clock and programmable timer and can also be
operated manually, just like the KF-187. The differences between the KF-180
and the KF-187 are that the KF-180 does not have the "small batch" brewing
setting, and it does not have the socket to accept the carbon granule water
filter. Also, unless the seller is running a promotional deal, the KF-180
does not come standard with the Braun gold-tone permanent filter as did the
KF-187. The KF-180 also does not have the adjustable temperature control
for the warmer plate like the KF-187, and it does not shut off the warmer
plate within four hours after brewing as does the KF-187.

The KF-180 uses the same carafe and filter basket and permanent
filter as the other 12-cup FlavorSelect models.

There are several other advantages to the Braun FlavorSelect models in
addition to the important ones of having optimal brewing temperature and
brew timing for the best possible cup of drip-brewed coffee. The water tank
has a large opening, easy to fill conveniently.

The carafe is the best shaped for easy pouring right to the last drop.

The parts of the Braun coffeemakers are easy to clean and all fit together
nicely and smoothly.

The drip stop mechanism in the Braun's filter basket is design so that it
actually works, and really does stop that drip if you pull out the carafe to
pour off some coffee before brewing stops.

Braun's quality control has been the most tightly consistent model to model
and sample to sample year after year, of any other brand I have seen and
used in the past 30 years. I think I have owned and/or used more than one
model in that time from more than 20 brand lines of at least a dozen
different manufacturers.

I had some Krups Cafe Aroma models, 450, 452, and 453, through the 1990's,
and each time I replaced one, it did not last as long as the previous one,
and the quality control seemed to slip noticeably, to the point that by
1998, I gave up on the Krups Cafe Aroma and later, Pro Aroma, lines, which
were my favorite Krups models.

Braun also has a new line made in the Czech Republic and designed in the
more rounded style which is thought to be that Euro styling look that is
popular with some models that have pretensions to elite or deluxe status.
They are the models, KF-500 and KF-550. These are 10-cup claimed-capacity
machines, with the KF-550 having the programmable timer, and the KF-500
being a basic manual on/off switchable model. They also brew at the propper
temperature, but maybe two degrees or so cooler than the KF-180. They also
cost less than the KF-180.

Contrary to what so many people claim in these groups, you really can not
control the temperature of the water using the manual pour-over method,
unless you can bring the heat source along with the water container to the
carafe and filter basket. For the equivallent of four cups or less, maybe
you can get away with it. If you're doing 8, 10, or 12 cups, that water is
going to be cooling surprisingly quickly as you pour, wait for it to drip
through, and pour more until you have dripped out your full amount of
coffee. I have never had any cup of manually-poured-over-brewed coffee,
regardless of what beans were used, and what brand and type of carafe and
filter were used that was a flavorful, complex, full-bodied, and otherwise
delicious as what I consistently get from a Braun FlavorSelect machine, such
as KF-157, KF-170, KF-180, KF-185, KF-187, or KF-190. Until somebody can
demonstrate it for me, I'll just have to smile, maybe even laugh, at anybody
who claims they can heat water in a separate pot or kettle, and bring it
over to a pour-over filter basket and drip out 10 or 12 cups of coffee at a
time as I get with a good Braun automatic drip coffeemaker. Anybody want to
take up the challenge next time you're in the Atlanta area?

As for the Philips Technivorm, I fail to see how paying twice to three times
the retail price of a Braun KF-180 is going to get me a cup of coffee that
is any better. I've seen all kinds of machines with gimmicks and gadgets,
and none of them can match the Braun design for quality of output, and ease
of cleaning and sensible design that makes it such a pleasure to use and
live with.

I just recently found a Braun KF-187 in a thrift store and payed $6.87
including sales tax for it. It had the machine, the carafe, the gold-tone
coffee filter, and a water filter with it; no box or documentation. This
one was old enough ta label on the bottom claimed that it was, "Made in
Germany". The FlavorSelect line has been made in Mexico for the last
several years. This particular specimen was rather nasty, with plenty of
dust and sticky gunk on it. A few minutes with some vinegar and water, a
toothbrush and a bottle brush, and a lint-free cloth, and a double brewing
of vinegar through the system followed by a brewing of plain cold water
through it, solved all those problems and it now looks almost as good as
new.

Braun's website has charts that show the results of temperature tests for
each model in the line. It shows the temperature in the middle of the
coffee filter basket during brewing, the temperature in the carafe
immediagely after brewing, and the temperature after one hour on the warmer
plate. Of the current models, the KF-180 is the hottest by a small margin.
The cheapest, AroMaster model and the four-cup model have the coolest temps,
and they still show brewing temps that are within the range claimed to be
the optimum for the best brew.

Brent Reynolds, Atlanta, GA USA

As the day gets longer, the coffee gets shorter.

Frank D. Greco

sez:

>Hi, Braun did, unfortunately discontinue the KF-187, and yes, you're right,
>it just might be the best drip coffee maker made in the last 20 years for
>quite a number of reasons.

It probably was solidly built and lasted a long time. That's
probably why Gillette (who now owns Braun) killed it off.

>There are several other advantages to the Braun FlavorSelect models in
>addition to the important ones of having optimal brewing temperature and
>brew timing for the best possible cup of drip-brewed coffee. The water tank
>has a large opening, easy to fill conveniently.

What's the basic diff between the FlavorSelect and the AromaDeluxe
models?

>Braun's quality control has been the most tightly consistent model to model
>and sample to sample year after year, of any other brand I have seen and
>used in the past 30 years. I think I have owned and/or used more than one
>model in that time from more than 20 brand lines of at least a dozen
>different manufacturers.

Ah... The problem is Gillette now owns Braun. I would not expect
Gillette to uphold the same level of consistency as Braun did.

>Braun also has a new line made in the Czech Republic and designed in the
>more rounded style which is thought to be that Euro styling look that is
>popular with some models that have pretensions to elite or deluxe status.
>They are the models, KF-500 and KF-550. These are 10-cup claimed-capacity
>machines, with the KF-550 having the programmable timer, and the KF-500
>being a basic manual on/off switchable model. They also brew at the propper
>temperature, but maybe two degrees or so cooler than the KF-180. They also
>cost less than the KF-180.

The 550 is the manual and the 580 is the timer model. The 510 is
being discontinued.

>Until somebody can
>demonstrate it for me, I'll just have to smile, maybe even laugh, at anybody
>who claims they can heat water in a separate pot or kettle, and bring it
>over to a pour-over filter basket and drip out 10 or 12 cups of coffee at a
>time as I get with a good Braun automatic drip coffeemaker.

My 580 is a *fast* maker. I was concerned it was too fast (not enough
contact with the beans), but it doesn't seem to be a problem.

Frank G.
Frank D. Greco

sez:

On 2004-04-04 said:
Newsgroups: rec.food.drink.coffee
sez:

----SNIP----

It probably was solidly built and lasted a long time. That's
probably why Gillette (who now owns Braun) killed it off.
----SNIP----

I don't think that is the reason for discontinuing of the KF-185, KF-187,
and KF-190. Gillette was the owner of record of Braun well back into the
mid 1980's at least, maybe even into the 1970's or earlier, considerably
predating the introduction of any of the "FlavorSelect" models. The KF-180,
which came out a couple of years before the KF-185 and KF-187 with their few
extra features is still in the line of Braun coffeemakers marketed in the
US, and was their top model shown as of about two weeks ago. Like more and
more consumer appliances, coffeemakers are considered to be useful
appliances that will most likely be bought and discarded based on small
changes in shape, control placement and design, and even color, most of
which except for the shape and control design factors, will have little or
no effect on how well the appliance makes coffee or on how pleasant and easy
it will be to live with the machine and use it day in and day out.

What's the basic diff between the FlavorSelect and the AromaDeluxe
models?
----SNIP----

The Aroma Deluxe models are the more modern-styled models sporting a "Euro"
look, where as the FlavorSelect model, now represented only by the KF-180 in
the current line, is the older Braun design with the squared-off corners,
wider columnar design, and with the taller, more tapered carafe and filter
basket. According to the temperature charts on their website, the KF-180
"FlavorSelect" model brews a couple of degrees Celsius hotter, and maybe
takes a minute or two longer to brew a full pot than the Aroma Deluxe
models. Then again, the FlavorSelect KF-180 is rated as a 12-cup model, and
the Aroma Deluxe models are rated as 10-cup models.

Ah... The problem is Gillette now owns Braun. I would not expect
Gillette to uphold the same level of consistency as Braun did.
----SNIP----

I think I already covered that base. If Gillette were interested in cutting
quality control to save money, they've had well over 20 years in which to do
it, and so far, that has not happened.

In the US, we know Braun first and foremost for electric shavers and
coffeemakers, and to a lesser extent, electric toothbrushes and other
smallish countertop kitchen appliances. In their Germanic homeland, Braun's
name also appears on expensive larger household appliances, like vacuum
cleaners, large kitchen appliances, and even high-end high-quality hi-fi
stereo equipment, among other things.

The 550 is the manual and the 580 is the timer model. The 510 is
being discontinued.
----SNIP----

There you go, models changing, being replaced, discontinued, changed, almost
as we speak. When you start comparing models against each other, based on
whatever criteria, if you comparison-shop today, and two or three months
down the road, you still have not made your choice, you might have to start
all over again. The model you almost bought last week might be no longer
available new next month and its replacement may or may not be any better,
or even as good, in some respects as what you should have bought last week.

My 580 is a *fast* maker. I was concerned it was too fast (not
enough contact with the beans), but it doesn't seem to be a problem.
Frank G.

I guess they can't please all the people all the time. Some of the old
Krups models from the 1980's and early 1990's used to take as much as 15
minutes to brew a full 12 cups. Now some people think a 12-cup machine that
takes more than 8 minutes or so to drip through a full pot is taking too
much time.

If what you have makes what you consider a good-tasting pot of coffee using
the coffee you like to use, then you're probably doing fine. If your tastes
and preferrences change over time, you might need to look for something
different.

After all, I know plenty of people who are perfectly content with a $20 Mr.
Coffee machine from Wal-Mart and whatever Folgers or MaxwellHouse coffee is
on sale this week at the supermarket for a "buy one, get one free" special
price. Some people I know who settle for that have actually spent time and
money with better brewing equipment, different brewing methods, and better,
more expensive, and fresher coffee, but they went back to the old stand-by
and are perfectly happy with it.

I guess it takes all kinds.

Reply to:

Brent Reynolds, Atlanta, GA USA

give your coffee a break, take time to enjoy it •

On 2004-04-04 said:
Newsgroups: rec.food.drink.coffee
sez:

Krups tea kettle leaks Al Tea 4 09-03-2017 03:36 PM
Krups = Krap Ed Pawlowski General Cooking 45 11-03-2012 06:44 PM
Krups Vivo Jörgen Wollsten Coffee 0 30-12-2004 03:30 PM
Krups Vivo Jörgen Wollsten Coffee 0 30-12-2004 03:30 PM
Krups La Glaciere artisan General Cooking 9 14-04-2004 05:43 AM