artisan

Default Krups La Glaciere

Hello everyone, I just bought a new (small version) Krups La Glaciere
machine for my Mum for Easter. However after two attempts we have not
been successful in making ice cream....just really thick cold custard.
We've chilled the base overnight and used some standard recipes for
it.

How cold does the ice cream base have to be before it's put in the
machine? What can I expect the consistency of the ice cream base to
be like after 20 minutes of churning? After 40 minutes of churning
the base was pretty much useless as the liquid inside it seems to have
already unfrozen! I'm really ticked at this point because I've spent
$50 on this machine.

Are there any tips for handling this machine you can give me?

Thanks very much.

Roxanne
PENMART01

>(artisan) writes:
>
>Hello everyone, I just bought a new (small version) Krups La Glaciere
>machine for my Mum for Easter. However after two attempts we have not
>been successful in making ice cream....just really thick cold custard.
> We've chilled the base overnight and used some standard recipes for
>it.
>
>How cold does the ice cream base have to be before it's put in the
>machine? What can I expect the consistency of the ice cream base to
>be like after 20 minutes of churning? After 40 minutes of churning
>the base was pretty much useless as the liquid inside it seems to have
>already unfrozen! I'm really ticked at this point because I've spent
>$50 on this machine.
>
>Are there any tips for handling this machine you can give me?

Check that your freezer is at or below 0F... use a freezer thermometer, they're
inexpensive ($6), should be left inside your freezer at all times and make it a
habit to check it each time you open your freezer... if you don't get that goop
cold enough it will not freeze ice cream. Most people have no idea of their
freezer temperature, and in most cases it's at 10-20F, cold enough to freeze
but not nearly cold enough to preserve foods.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

Anne Bourget

Return it; it is obviously defective. I don't know what you mean by
small, but I have had a Krups La Glaciere for several years and have
not had any trouble making ice cream with it. I do keep the bowl in
the freezer unless I am using it.
JLove98905

How cold does the ice cream base have to be before it's put in the
>>machine? What can I expect the consistency of the ice cream base to
>>be like after 20 minutes of churning? After 40 minutes

I just bought a Krups myself, and put it in my freezer overnight...it worked
fine when the ice cream mix was cold (refrigerator overnight) but not very well
when the mix was room temp. Someone clued me in that after 45 minutes in the
mixer, the temp starts to go up so there's no point in continuing on after
that. After about 30 minutes, my proper batches are hardened but not HARD, so I
can transfer them into permanent freezer containers. I don't get the ice
crystals one would expect if the mix was poured into a container and frozen
statically.
-Jen

Half the people you know are below average. -Steven Wright

Dave Smith

artisan wrote:

> Hello everyone, I just bought a new (small version) Krups La Glaciere
> machine for my Mum for Easter. However after two attempts we have not
> been successful in making ice cream....just really thick cold custard.
> We've chilled the base overnight and used some standard recipes for
> it.
>
> How cold does the ice cream base have to be before it's put in the
> machine? What can I expect the consistency of the ice cream base to
> be like after 20 minutes of churning? After 40 minutes of churning
> the base was pretty much useless as the liquid inside it seems to have
> already unfrozen! I'm really ticked at this point because I've spent
> $50 on this machine.

How long did you freeze the freezer unit? I was too impulsive when I got
my Cuisinart ice cream maker. I did not chill it for the full time
recommended, nor did I fully chill the custard, When I tried again, left
the freezing pail in the freezer for more than 34 hours and chilled the
custard overnight and then sat it in an ice batch for a half hour before
freezing, I had terrific results.

The while thing is about temperature and freezing. Even making it on a hot
day can drastically increase the time it takes to freeze.

Nancy Young

Dave Smith wrote:

> artisan wrote:
>
> > Hello everyone, I just bought a new (small version) Krups La Glaciere
> > machine for my Mum for Easter. However after two attempts we have not
> > been successful in making ice cream....just really thick cold custard.
> > We've chilled the base overnight and used some standard recipes for
> > it.
> >
> > How cold does the ice cream base have to be before it's put in the
> > machine? What can I expect the consistency of the ice cream base to
> > be like after 20 minutes of churning? After 40 minutes of churning
> > the base was pretty much useless as the liquid inside it seems to have
> > already unfrozen! I'm really ticked at this point because I've spent
> > $50 on this machine.

> How long did you freeze the freezer unit? I was too impulsive when I got
> my Cuisinart ice cream maker. I did not chill it for the full time
> recommended, nor did I fully chill the custard, When I tried again, left
> the freezing pail in the freezer for more than 34 hours and chilled the
> custard overnight and then sat it in an ice batch for a half hour before
> freezing, I had terrific results.
>
> The while thing is about temperature and freezing. Even making it on a hot
> day can drastically increase the time it takes to freeze.

I did the same thing first time I used mine. I asked here, what did
I do wrong? Everyone told me the same thing, everything has to be
cold cold cold. Perhaps google to see what other hints people gave
me ... I have a Krups, also, so search on that or ice cream maker.

nancy
PENMART01

>Hey, thanks everyone. I'll try Sheldon's suggestion of the freezer
>thermometer and see if I can get the freezer colder. I really think
>the problem is the freezer itself isn't cold enough (I just looked at
>the setting for the freezer and it's set to "1" out of "9" with 9 as
>coldest!! *sigh*). Also I'll have to leave the container in for a
>lot longer.
>
>If it still doesn't work I'll just have to return it, or maybe get
>another one.
>
>Rox

Having your freezer colder will very likely do the trick... also your frozen
food will keep better as well. Don't forget to purchase the fridge/freezer
thermometer, in fact get two... keep one in the freezer and one in the
fridge... there really is no other way to ascertain proper settings. And if
one day you notice an abrupt change in temperature you will have an advance
warning that something is amiss with the functioning of your unit, will save a
lot of grief catching the malfunction *prior* to the meltdown, will also
usually entail a less expensive repair bill.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

Dave Smith

artisan wrote:

> Hey, thanks everyone. I'll try Sheldon's suggestion of the freezer
> thermometer and see if I can get the freezer colder. I really think
> the problem is the freezer itself isn't cold enough (I just looked at
> the setting for the freezer and it's set to "1" out of "9" with 9 as
> coldest!! *sigh*). Also I'll have to leave the container in for a
> lot longer.
>
> If it still doesn't work I'll just have to return it, or maybe get
> another one.

You really do have to be patient and to plan ahead to make ice cream. I have not been eating a lot of ice cream
because of the cold weather, so we had quite a stock of it which we finally finished off on the weekend and it
was time to make some more. The freezer pail had been in the freezer for a few months. I made the custard mix
(vanilla) early yesterday morning, left it to cool on the counter for a few hours and then into the fridge for
the night. I took it out this morning and threw it into the machine, set the timer for 35 minutes. I came and
checked on it after 20 minutes and it was already done.

Brian Macke

On Tue, 13 Apr 2004 08:13:09 -0400, Dave Smith wrote:

> The while thing is about temperature and freezing. Even making it on a hot
> day can drastically increase the time it takes to freeze.

This is precisely why I got a tabletop all-in-one unit. Now I can be in a
really hot kitchen (oven and stove going) and still make a perfect batch
of ice cream and not worry that the ambient temp in the kitchen is above
78F.

Freezer cans are a wonderful invention - they've helped people learn what
good home made ice cream can taste like. They just have an inherent crater
quotient that means you can rely on them 100% of the time.

--
-Brian James Macke
"In order to get that which you wish for, you must first get that which

Krups tea kettle leaks Al Tea 4 09-03-2017 03:36 PM
Krups = Krap Ed Pawlowski General Cooking 45 11-03-2012 06:44 PM
Krups Vivo Jörgen Wollsten Coffee 0 30-12-2004 03:30 PM
Krups Vivo Jörgen Wollsten Coffee 0 30-12-2004 03:30 PM
Krups Artese 01 Snow Coffee 8 05-04-2004 10:38 AM