Posted to rec.food.chocolate

Default Chocolate storage

While finishing his Christmas shopping my son in law stopped in a
chocolate shop to buy some chocolates. While there the sales woman asked if
he'd like to sign up for their chocolate contest and try to win a chocolate
Santa. "What the heck, why not. I never win anything any way!" Yep, you
guessed it the chocolate Santa turned out to be 3 feet tall and 30 pounds!
We kept it until Christmas day and after dinner everyone "helped" break
it apart and took some home. We still have quite a bit left. I've vacuumed
sealed what was left with my Food Saver in gallon bags. Can I store it in
the basement where it's cool or should I put it in the freezer? What is the
best way to store this and how long can I keep it?

Posted to rec.food.chocolate

tranch wrote:

> While finishing his Christmas shopping my son in law stopped in a
> chocolate shop to buy some chocolates. While there the sales woman asked if
> he'd like to sign up for their chocolate contest and try to win a chocolate
> Santa. "What the heck, why not. I never win anything any way!" Yep, you
> guessed it the chocolate Santa turned out to be 3 feet tall and 30 pounds!
> We kept it until Christmas day and after dinner everyone "helped" break
> it apart and took some home. We still have quite a bit left. I've vacuumed
> sealed what was left with my Food Saver in gallon bags. Can I store it in
> the basement where it's cool or should I put it in the freezer? What is the
> best way to store this and how long can I keep it?

Here's what much-missed Alex Rast said about
chocolate storage:

If you're using pure chocolate, then you need to be more careful. Do not
put it in the fridge unless you have absolutely no other area available
that can reliably be kept below 75 F/24 C. Assuming that this is not the
case, somewhere dry where the temperature doesn't go above this point
and
is free from odours (this is critical. Musty, onion, cheese, etc. are
deadly) is the right location, Wrap it in wax paper first, then surround
the paper with foil. Toilet paper for the inner wrapper also works very
well, or paper towel. Avoid plastic at all costs because again the
chocolate absorbs the plasticky odour.
Posted to rec.food.chocolate

tranch > wrote:

> it apart and took some home. We still have quite a bit left. I've vacuumed
> sealed what was left with my Food Saver in gallon bags. Can I store it in
> the basement where it's cool or should I put it in the freezer? What is the
> best way to store this and how long can I keep it?

Yes, in the basement will probably be fine. Ideal temperature range
is 55 to 65 F, but as long as it's under 75 F you should be OK.
Alex Rast always said to avoid plastic, but I've never found that
to be a big problem. The bulk chocolate my wife buys for her shop
is shipped wrapped in plastic, not sealed, just loose wrapped inside
the cardboard box.

You want to avoid temperature extremes and too much humidity.
50% humidity is "ideal" but anything under 60% is fine. The sealed
plastic should avoid that problem anyway. Chocolate should be
fine for 6 months to a year in good conditions.

Bill Ranck
Blacksburg, Va.

Cheap Storage Boxes | Cheap Moving Boxes | Smart Storage Boxes rozy zenstin Cooking Equipment 0 25-10-2010 02:26 PM
Wet storage MarshalN Tea 5 16-10-2006 06:35 PM
Chocolate & storage???? Giggles Chocolate 4 14-06-2006 10:34 PM
Chocolate molds & storage?????? Giggles General Cooking 3 11-06-2006 03:20 AM
Chocolate storage under vacuum Dee Randall Chocolate 6 02-01-2006 04:02 AM