Manjo

Default Good Chocolate Bars Available Online?

I Googled for bars and found very little available online.
My aged aunt loves chocolate bars and I want to send her a box of bars.
Is there a web site where I can order a box of 10 or 12 bars and have them
shipped directly to her (1,000 miles away)? Is Cadbury the best and most
easily available bar chocolate online?? TIA for any info, tips,
suggestions, comments.
--
Manjo
A ship in the harbor is safe, but that's not what ships are built

Margaret Suran

Manjo wrote:

> I Googled for bars and found very little available online.
> My aged aunt loves chocolate bars and I want to send her a box of bars.
> Is there a web site where I can order a box of 10 or 12 bars and have them
> shipped directly to her (1,000 miles away)? Is Cadbury the best and most
> easily available bar chocolate online?? TIA for any info, tips,
> suggestions, comments.
> --
> Manjo

Where does your aunt live? Where do you live?
Margaret Suran

Manjo wrote:

> I Googled for bars and found very little available online.
> My aged aunt loves chocolate bars and I want to send her a box of bars.
> Is there a web site where I can order a box of 10 or 12 bars and have them
> shipped directly to her (1,000 miles away)? Is Cadbury the best and most
> easily available bar chocolate online?? TIA for any info, tips,
> suggestions, comments.
> --
> Manjo

Where does your aunt live? Where do you live?
Manjo

Both in US. She's in Illinois near Chicago (but is not mobile). I live in
Massachusetts near Boston.
--
Margaret Suran > wrote in message
> Manjo wrote:
> >
> > I Googled for bars and found very little available online.
> > My aged aunt loves chocolate bars and I want to send her a box of bars.
> > Is there a web site where I can order a box of 10 or 12 bars and have

them
> > shipped directly to her (1,000 miles away)? Is Cadbury the best and

most
> > easily available bar chocolate online?? TIA for any info, tips,
> > suggestions, comments.
> > --
> > Manjo

> Where does your aunt live? Where do you live?

Margaret Suran

Dear Manjo, I would suggest that you go into a nice shop and buy
several different kinds of chocolate bars and make a package and send
them to your aunt by U.S. Mail or UPS or FedEx..

To go to a website and order them on line is risky, unless you know what
her favorite chocolate is. Otherwise, you may send her a box of the
same bars and they are not to her liking.

Do you know whether she prefers milk or bittersweet? Plain or with
nuts? Or, perhaps filled with a cream? It's best is to ask her and
send her what she would like best. I know, it would be fun to surprise
her, but that only works if you know what to get.

Good luck, Margaret

> Both in US. She's in Illinois near Chicago (but is not mobile). I live in
> Massachusetts near Boston.
> --
> Manjo
> A ship in the harbor is safe, but that's not what ships are built
> for. --William Shedd
> Margaret Suran > wrote in message
> > Manjo wrote:
> > >
> > > I Googled for bars and found very little available online.
> > > My aged aunt loves chocolate bars and I want to send her a box of bars.
> > > Is there a web site where I can order a box of 10 or 12 bars and have

> them
> > > shipped directly to her (1,000 miles away)? Is Cadbury the best and

> most
> > > easily available bar chocolate online?? TIA for any info, tips,
> > > suggestions, comments.
> > > --
> > > Manjo

> > Where does your aunt live? Where do you live?

Margaret Suran

Dear Manjo, I would suggest that you go into a nice shop and buy
several different kinds of chocolate bars and make a package and send
them to your aunt by U.S. Mail or UPS or FedEx..

To go to a website and order them on line is risky, unless you know what
her favorite chocolate is. Otherwise, you may send her a box of the
same bars and they are not to her liking.

Do you know whether she prefers milk or bittersweet? Plain or with
nuts? Or, perhaps filled with a cream? It's best is to ask her and
send her what she would like best. I know, it would be fun to surprise
her, but that only works if you know what to get.

Good luck, Margaret

> Both in US. She's in Illinois near Chicago (but is not mobile). I live in
> Massachusetts near Boston.
> --
> Manjo
> A ship in the harbor is safe, but that's not what ships are built
> for. --William Shedd
> Margaret Suran > wrote in message
> > Manjo wrote:
> > >
> > > I Googled for bars and found very little available online.
> > > My aged aunt loves chocolate bars and I want to send her a box of bars.
> > > Is there a web site where I can order a box of 10 or 12 bars and have

> them
> > > shipped directly to her (1,000 miles away)? Is Cadbury the best and

> most
> > > easily available bar chocolate online?? TIA for any info, tips,
> > > suggestions, comments.
> > > --
> > > Manjo

> > Where does your aunt live? Where do you live?

Alex Rast

at Fri, 17 Oct 2003 18:56:00 GMT in
wrote :

>I Googled for bars and found very little available online.
>My aged aunt loves chocolate bars and I want to send her a box of bars.
>Is there a web site where I can order a box of 10 or 12 bars and have
>them shipped directly to her (1,000 miles away)? Is Cadbury the best
>and most easily available bar chocolate online?? TIA for any info,
>tips, suggestions, comments.
>--

Go to
http://www.chocosphere.com. This is the best chocolate site on-line,
the handling is always great, their service is the best, and they have by
far the best selection of quality chocolate. The brands can be a bit
intimidating, so here's a quick synopsis of each of their characters:

Michel Cluizel : Perhaps the best all-around. Tends towards a somewhat
darker roast, less fruity character. The 50% milk chocolate of his is the
best milk chocolate in the world. The 72% is perhaps the second best
bittersweet.
Valrhona : Very good. Very fruity and bright. One of their signature
characteristics is the best texture in the industry - silky-smooth.
Guittard : They have perhaps the best single chocolate in the world,
Gourmet Bittersweet. The selection Etienne chocolates are outstanding.
Overall they tend towards a very neutral balance, but tend towards a
"generic" taste.
Slitti : Extremely delicate. Slitti has some of the mildest, least
aggressive chocolates at every percentage level. None of them are bitter in
the slightest. I find them a little bland, but it's personal.
Max Brenner : Extremely uneven. The bars have an incredible variability.
They tend towards the fruity side, but often taste "wild".
Caffe-Tasse : Generally good. Leans towards a darker roast. They tend to
select beans with little specific character.
Cuba Venchi : Very, very dark roasters, typical of Italians. The chocolate
is OK, but it's the gianduja that's superb - easily the best in the world.
Dagoba : Tend toward the fruity side. Their chocolates always have a
complex flavour. I suspect they use a lot of Trinitario beans because their
bars tend to have that woody/leather signature that the Trinitarios usually
possess.
Cocoa Camino : They seem to focus on texture because although that's very
good, the flavour is extremely bitter for their dark, excessively mild for
the milk.
Green & Black's : Terrible. One of the most overrated chocolates. Somehow
they seem to think that the label "organic" should be enough. The chocolate
displays all the weaknesses common in cheaper chocolate - cloying
sweetness, harsh bitterness, etc.
Cote D'Or : Mixed-bag. They have good and bad chocolates. While the flavour
tends towards fruitiness, suggesting a light roast, some of them seem to be
very heavily roasted. Trying them is often difficult because you don't know
what to expect
El Rey : Always intense. They have found a nice balance of roasting, but
somehow the bars seem to lack the sophistication of some of the top Euro or
American brands. It's not the fault of the beans - their Carenero Superior
bean is one of the truly great cocoa varietals.
Galler : Lean towards the nutty side of the spectrum. They have a nicely
balanced roast as well. Texture is always good. Excellent overall but there
are a few companies (such as Cluizel) who are better.
Dolfin : They take dark roasting to an extreme. This is for the person who
likes black, black chocolate. As a result they have little specific
varietal character but are also minimally bitter, at most. In spite of the
aggressive roast, they are one of the best.
Callebaut : Fruity, but not so much as Valrhona. They're a big industrial
concern of good but not great quality. Their flavour profile is almost
identical with Ghirardelli, except Callebaut's milk chocolate which is much
worse than Ghirardelli's.
Valor : Decidedly lacking in character. They seem to lean towards the
problems of cheap chocolate - sweet milk chocolate, bitter dark chocolate,
rough texture.
Grenada Chocolate Company : They have a very woody taste to them, not in
the unpleasant sense but rather in the sense of certain aromatic woods like
teak. Good overall.
Lindt : We all know what they are usually like, but it's worth trying their
85% if your aunt likes VERY strong chocolate. This is by far the best 85%
chocolate available. The rest are, well, Lindt.
Villars: Where's the chocolate? Not here. In common with many Swiss
manufacturers, their bars taste very mild. Even with the 70% it was hard to
detect much chocolate in there.
Scharffen Berger : If Dolfin represented the dark-roast extreme, S-B
represents the extreme of light roasting. Thus, their chocolates taste
*ultra*-fruity. IMHO this makes them quite unbalanced and always bitter.
There's no denying that they're quality chocolate, but I'd stop short of
calling them excellent - a clear case where a company's reputation exceeds
its actual product.

I hope that based on that, you can take a stab at what your aunt would
like. Still confused? Send me a list of chocolate bars your aunt likes or
has liked a lot in the past. I will match her profile to some chocolates
and give you a recommendation.

--
Alex Rast

Ed-Au Chocolat

I offer El Rey dark, milk and white bars. Direct source from
Venezula. Excellent dark 73.5% cocoa. and the price is far less than
Valrona. www.treats.net I ship anywhere in the continental USA

(Alex Rast) wrote in message >...
> at Fri, 17 Oct 2003 18:56:00 GMT in
> >,
(Manjo)
> [...]

> chocolate available. The rest are, well, Lindt.
> Villars: Where's the chocolate? Not here. In common with many Swiss
> manufacturers, their bars taste very mild. Even with the 70% it was hard to
> detect much chocolate in there.
> Scharffen Berger : If Dolfin represented the dark-roast extreme, S-B
> represents the extreme of light roasting. Thus, their chocolates taste
> *ultra*-fruity. IMHO this makes them quite unbalanced and always bitter.
> There's no denying that they're quality chocolate, but I'd stop short of
> calling them excellent - a clear case where a company's reputation exceeds
> its actual product.
>
> I hope that based on that, you can take a stab at what your aunt would
> like. Still confused? Send me a list of chocolate bars your aunt likes or
> has liked a lot in the past. I will match her profile to some chocolates

Manjo

Ed,

Thank you for the information. I dearly love my aunties (one's 78 and the
other is 89) and want them to be happy. I don't know what they "really"
like as yet. BUT, my wife tried the Lindt 73% cocoa chocolate, and was very
happy.

We also like Mexican hot chocolate cocoa. El Popular, especially. They
used to wrap the bars in a thin, white, translucent waxpaper with blue
lettering. I think the coca bars in the old style wrapping tasted better
;>)). But El Popular for me is always the best.
--
Manjo
A ship in the harbor is safe, but that's not what ships are built
for. --William Shedd
Ed-Au Chocolat > wrote in message
om...
> I offer El Rey dark, milk and white bars. Direct source from
> Venezula. Excellent dark 73.5% cocoa. and the price is far less than
> Valrona. www.treats.net I ship anywhere in the continental USA
>
> (Alex Rast) wrote in message

> > at Fri, 17 Oct 2003 18:56:00 GMT in
> > >,