Ted Shoemaker

Default the chemistry of chocolate?

Hello,

Chocolate contains hundreds (or thousands) of
chemicals. The better-known ingredients of chocolate
include theobromine, caffeine, anandamide,
tryptophan, phenylethylamine, polyphenols, etc.

1. Which of these chemicals are associated with the
reportedly healthful effects of chocolate?
2. In which parts of chocolate are they present?
(Cocoa butter, dry cocoa, etc.)

I'm talking about pure chocolate, not candy with sugar.

Thank you very much!

Ted Shoemaker
David D.

"Ted Shoemaker" > wrote in message
om...
> Chocolate contains hundreds (or thousands) of
> chemicals. The better-known ingredients of chocolate
> include theobromine, caffeine, anandamide,
> tryptophan, phenylethylamine, polyphenols, etc.
>
> 1. Which of these chemicals are associated with the
> reportedly healthful effects of chocolate?
> 2. In which parts of chocolate are they present?
> (Cocoa butter, dry cocoa, etc.)
>
> Ted Shoemaker

Below is a posting from earlier this year regarding flavonoids:

From: M. Schwartz )
Subject: Dark chocolate is good to eat?

View this article only
Newsgroups: sci.med.nutrition
Date: 2003-05-25 11:13:54 PST

I found an article by Dr. Andrew Weil dated in 2002 that speaks quite
favorably about dark chocolate. He says there was a study indicating
that flavonoids in dark chocolate are good for your heart. These
compounds reduce the stickiness of platelets and reduce the danger of
coronary artery blockages. This study is from the University of
California at Davis where researchers asked 18 healthy adults to eat a
handful of semi-sweet chocolate chips. Blood tests conducted two and
six hours later showed that the concentration of flavonoids had
increased and that platelets took longer to clot after eating the
chocolate than it did before.

Dr. Weil goes on to recommend dark chocolate from either Belgium or
France. He also says if you can't find it from Belgium or France, then
any brand containing 70 percent cocoa is fine.

Anyone for dark chocolate?

Mel

Better living through Chemistry zxcvbob General Cooking 7 20-10-2006 03:07 PM
Wine Chemistry Bob M Wine 0 28-04-2006 11:46 PM
Wine Chemistry Bob M Winemaking 0 28-04-2006 11:44 PM
The Chemistry of a 90+ Wine (NYT) [email protected] Wine 5 09-08-2005 11:11 AM
Chemistry Lesson? Brian Mailman Preserving 0 06-08-2004 05:50 PM