Posted to rec.food.chocolate

Default WARNING: ACMC chocolate temperer owners

As you know, our machines require two 100W lightbulbs
for heat. As you might not be aware, these are already
unavailable in California and by 2014 incandescent bulbs
will be phased out completely throughout the U.S.

Here in California, I've discovered that 95W soft white
bulbs from GE are still available, which should be close
enough. I suspect GE came out with the 95W bulbs to avoid
the ban on 100W bulbs currently in effect. I paid $28.35
for ten of these bulbs a few minutes ago, and I'm wondering
if I should buy more. CVS carries them. The first CVS
I visited had one package and one bulb was obviously
broken. The second CVS had five twin-packs, so I bought
them all.
Posted to rec.food.chocolate

Anyone have any idea how many hours of operation
an ACMC should last before it dies? That would
help me estimate how many lightbulbs I should buy.
The bulbs are rated for 1125 hours, but because
they cycle on and off, I assume the lifetime is
shorter. In a commercial setting, do these machines
eat up lightbulbs really fast?
Posted to rec.food.chocolate

Mark Thorson wrote:
> Anyone have any idea how many hours of operation
> an ACMC should last before it dies? That would
> help me estimate how many lightbulbs I should buy.
> The bulbs are rated for 1125 hours, but because
> they cycle on and off, I assume the lifetime is
> shorter. In a commercial setting, do these machines
> eat up lightbulbs really fast?

Two separate questions: how long does the machine last, and how long do the
bulbs last.

I've had my ACMC machine since about 2001. I've replaced the motor two or
three times, and the baffle at least once. I bought an extra bowl when the
originl started to flake black paint badly. I've had to replace both
porcelain sockets in the last year (I have a friend who is a retired
electrical ingineer who did this for me.). I recently had to replace the
ring, because their newer motors do not fit on older machines with the older
ring. But all of this has been a lot cheaper than replacing the entire
machine.

How long do the bulbs last? Haven't the faintest. I will tell you that the
ACMC and other tempering machine will work with 60-watt bulbs, although more
slowly.

Thanks for the head-up. I have three light-bulb-using machines. I'll have to
stock up on 100-watt bulbs.

Posted to rec.food.chocolate

Janet wrote:

> I've had my ACMC machine since about 2001. I've replaced the motor two or
> three times, and the baffle at least once. I bought an extra bowl when the
> originl started to flake black paint badly. I've had to replace both
> porcelain sockets in the last year (I have a friend who is a retired
> electrical ingineer who did this for me.). I recently had to replace the
> ring, because their newer motors do not fit on older machines with the older
> ring. But all of this has been a lot cheaper than replacing the entire
> machine.

Thanks for your experience. I wonder who
makes the motors? A friend of mine working
at an electronics company had a problem with
their temperature cycling machine (used to
study reliability of assemblies) burning out
motors frequently, and they cost about $1000
each. He figured out who made the motor,
and he could buy them direct for about $300.

About how much use does your machine see,
say, in hours per week?
Posted to rec.food.chocolate

Mark Thorson wrote:
> Janet wrote:
>>
>> I've had my ACMC machine since about 2001. I've replaced the motor
>> two or three times, and the baffle at least once. I bought an extra
>> bowl when the originl started to flake black paint badly. I've had
>> to replace both porcelain sockets in the last year (I have a friend
>> who is a retired electrical ingineer who did this for me.). I
>> recently had to replace the ring, because their newer motors do not
>> fit on older machines with the older ring. But all of this has been
>> a lot cheaper than replacing the entire machine.

> Thanks for your experience. I wonder who
> makes the motors? A friend of mine working
> at an electronics company had a problem with
> their temperature cycling machine (used to
> study reliability of assemblies) burning out
> motors frequently, and they cost about $1000
> each. He figured out who made the motor,
> and he could buy them direct for about $300.
>
> About how much use does your machine see,
> say, in hours per week?

Some week probably 70+ (before Christmas), some weeks none (middle of the
summer). Most of the time, probably about 20-30. But it is very hard to say,
because when actively working one often leaves them on 24 hrs a day for
several days. For example, I'll leave it set at 99F, not rotating,
overnight, so that the chocolate stays melted and I can go back to dipping
or molding quickly in the morning. So the lightbulbs and fans are in use
many more hours than the kettle motor is actually rotating.