Alex

Default Looking for "Great" Devils Food Cake Icing

I have never been able to find a great Chocolate Icing recipe. I am
looking for on that will work great with a Devil's food cake.
Something that will actually penetrate the cake and give it that
really moist wetness inside the cake, like a devils food cake should
be.

I know about icing the cake when the icing and cake are hot, poking
holes and all that, but can never find a icing for DF cake that i
like. Anyone have one, please post it.
Janet Puistonen

Alex wrote:
> I have never been able to find a great Chocolate Icing recipe. I am
> looking for on that will work great with a Devil's food cake.
> Something that will actually penetrate the cake and give it that
> really moist wetness inside the cake, like a devils food cake should
> be.
>
> I know about icing the cake when the icing and cake are hot, poking
> holes and all that, but can never find a icing for DF cake that i
> like. Anyone have one, please post it.

I would suggest that if you want a cake to have a really moist quality, you
need to a) be very careful to remove it from the oven _before_ it starts to
shrink from the pan, and b) consider using a syrup (composed of water and
sugar brought to the boil, then cooled) with optional addition such as
Framboise. The syrup is sprinkled over the layers before icing. It will
gradually penetrate the entire layer, and impart a lasting moistness that
will not seem heavy or wet.

Then you can ice your devil's food cake with an excellent ganache, or a
chocolate butter cream, if you prefer.

Have you ever looked as Rose Levy Beranbaum's book The Cake Bible? It
really is the best book on the subject--cakes and icings and ganaches--that
I have encountered.
--
Janet

Dear Artemesia! Poetry's a Sna/Bedlam has many Mansions:have a
ca/ Your Muse diverts you, makes the Reader sad:/ You think your
self inspir'd; He thinks you mad.

---

Janet Puistonen

Alex wrote:
> I have never been able to find a great Chocolate Icing recipe. I am
> looking for on that will work great with a Devil's food cake.
> Something that will actually penetrate the cake and give it that
> really moist wetness inside the cake, like a devils food cake should
> be.
>
> I know about icing the cake when the icing and cake are hot, poking
> holes and all that, but can never find a icing for DF cake that i
> like. Anyone have one, please post it.

I would suggest that if you want a cake to have a really moist quality, you
need to a) be very careful to remove it from the oven _before_ it starts to
shrink from the pan, and b) consider using a syrup (composed of water and
sugar brought to the boil, then cooled) with optional addition such as
Framboise. The syrup is sprinkled over the layers before icing. It will
gradually penetrate the entire layer, and impart a lasting moistness that
will not seem heavy or wet.

Then you can ice your devil's food cake with an excellent ganache, or a
chocolate butter cream, if you prefer.

Have you ever looked as Rose Levy Beranbaum's book The Cake Bible? It
really is the best book on the subject--cakes and icings and ganaches--that
I have encountered.
--
Janet

Dear Artemesia! Poetry's a Sna/Bedlam has many Mansions:have a
ca/ Your Muse diverts you, makes the Reader sad:/ You think your
self inspir'd; He thinks you mad.

---

Janet Puistonen

Alex wrote:
> I have never been able to find a great Chocolate Icing recipe. I am
> looking for on that will work great with a Devil's food cake.
> Something that will actually penetrate the cake and give it that
> really moist wetness inside the cake, like a devils food cake should
> be.
>
> I know about icing the cake when the icing and cake are hot, poking
> holes and all that, but can never find a icing for DF cake that i
> like. Anyone have one, please post it.

I would suggest that if you want a cake to have a really moist quality, you
need to a) be very careful to remove it from the oven _before_ it starts to
shrink from the pan, and b) consider using a syrup (composed of water and
sugar brought to the boil, then cooled) with optional addition such as
Framboise. The syrup is sprinkled over the layers before icing. It will
gradually penetrate the entire layer, and impart a lasting moistness that
will not seem heavy or wet.

Then you can ice your devil's food cake with an excellent ganache, or a
chocolate butter cream, if you prefer.

Have you ever looked as Rose Levy Beranbaum's book The Cake Bible? It
really is the best book on the subject--cakes and icings and ganaches--that
I have encountered.
--
Janet

Dear Artemesia! Poetry's a Sna/Bedlam has many Mansions:have a
ca/ Your Muse diverts you, makes the Reader sad:/ You think your
self inspir'd; He thinks you mad.

---

What's your favorite cake & icing? Giggles Baking 6 05-10-2005 11:09 AM
What's your favorite cake & icing? Giggles General Cooking 21 05-10-2005 03:38 AM
Giving up on devils food cake Cheryl General Cooking 12 16-08-2004 09:09 PM
Devils Food Chili MrFalafel Vegan 2 13-06-2004 03:22 PM
Angel Food Cake Icing Duckie ® Recipes 0 21-04-2004 12:40 AM