Old 29-09-2005, 09:52 AM
Giggles

Default What's your favorite cake & icing?

Hi all,

I'm taking my first Wilton cake decorating course and I'm having fun
learning new things. For the course we have to make this buttercream which
is mostly made up of vegetable shortening & icing sugar it's great for
piping flowers & doing th boarders & of course frosting the cake. But I
don't like the idea of all that shortening. Is there another icing that is
good for this? What's the name so I can find a recipe?

Also for the course I've been using boxed cake mixes for the cakes, but I
find that the cakes are to soft and crumbly when I have to slice them in
half to make layers for the filling. What are some tasty cake that are a
little more dence and not as crumbly.

Thanks in advance,
Giggles

Old 29-09-2005, 09:17 PM
Denny Wheeler

On Thu, 29 Sep 2005 04:52:27 -0400, "Giggles"
wrote:

Hi all,

Well, I'll answer the question on your subject line--I can't really
help with the one in the body of the post.

Schwarzwalder Kirschtorte

--
-denny-

"I don't like it when a whole state starts
acting like a marital aid."
"John R. Campbell" in a Usenet post.
Old 29-09-2005, 10:09 PM
Wayne Boatwright

wrote:

Hi all,

Well, I'll answer the question on your subject line--I can't really
help with the one in the body of the post.

Schwarzwalder Kirschtorte

DITTO!

--
Wayne Boatwright **

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

Old 01-10-2005, 02:21 AM
maxine in ri

On Thu, 29 Sep 2005 04:52:27 -0400, "Giggles"
connected the dots and wrote:

~Hi all,
~
~I'm taking my first Wilton cake decorating course and I'm having fun
~learning new things. For the course we have to make this buttercream
which
~is mostly made up of vegetable shortening & icing sugar it's great
for
~piping flowers & doing th boarders & of course frosting the cake. But
~don't like the idea of all that shortening. Is there another icing
that is
~good for this? What's the name so I can find a recipe?

Royal Icing.

~Also for the course I've been using boxed cake mixes for the cakes,
but I
~find that the cakes are to soft and crumbly when I have to slice them
in
~half to make layers for the filling. What are some tasty cake that
are a
~little more dence and not as crumbly.
~
~Thanks in advance,
~Giggles
~
No idea.

maxine in ri
Old 01-10-2005, 02:37 AM
Boron Elgar

On Fri, 30 Sep 2005 21:21:59 -0400, maxine in ri
wrote:

On Thu, 29 Sep 2005 04:52:27 -0400, "Giggles"
connected the dots and wrote:

~Hi all,
~
~I'm taking my first Wilton cake decorating course and I'm having fun
~learning new things. For the course we have to make this buttercream
which
~is mostly made up of vegetable shortening & icing sugar it's great
for
~piping flowers & doing th boarders & of course frosting the cake. But
~don't like the idea of all that shortening. Is there another icing
that is
~good for this? What's the name so I can find a recipe?

Royal Icing.

You cannot do the same decorating with royal icing, which is of a
different consistency and dries shiny and hard. Buttercream is smooth
and stays soft. There are butter flavored shortenings to use, but
using butter can be iffy, because it melts so easily

~Also for the course I've been using boxed cake mixes for the cakes,
but I
~find that the cakes are to soft and crumbly when I have to slice them
in
~half to make layers for the filling. What are some tasty cake that
are a
~little more dence and not as crumbly.
~
~Thanks in advance,
~Giggles
~
No idea.

Almost anything can be used for the course - it needn't even be a
cake, but only a cake-shaped object.

A dood genoise holds up better, but takes more work than a mix cake. I
bet if the mix cake were baked a in multiple pans and with thinner
layers, there would be no need to split layers - just pile them on

Again, this is all for practice.

Boron
Old 02-10-2005, 12:45 AM
Edwin Pawlowski

What's your favorite cake & icing?

My favorite cake is a pound cake my wife makes and it is best with no icing.

On other cakes, a buttercream icing is OK.

Old 02-10-2005, 02:01 AM

On Sat, 01 Oct 2005 23:45:19 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:

What's your favorite cake & icing?

My favorite cake is a pound cake my wife makes and it is best with no icing.

On other cakes, a buttercream icing is OK.

Pound cake and a tall glass of cold milk...... Good Choice !
and, poor-mans cake ( raisin-cinnamon )
and carrot cake w/cream-cheese icing

Of course, none of these has calories.
rj

Old 02-10-2005, 02:03 AM
Puester

What's your favorite cake & icing?

Devil's food cake with either chocolate ganache glaze
or vanilla cream cheese icing. A good vanilla ice cream
alongside never hurt, either.

gloria p
Old 02-10-2005, 04:02 AM

On Sun, 02 Oct 2005 01:14:10 GMT, Dog3 wrote:

Puester wrote in
:

What's your favorite cake & icing?

Devil's food cake with either chocolate ganache glaze
or vanilla cream cheese icing. A good vanilla ice cream
alongside never hurt, either.

gloria p

Some cakes are better than others but they're all good
Michael

I believe the exact phrasing is;
"I've never had a bad piece of cake;
some were better than others, but all were "good". "

( I'm pretty sure the subject was "cake" ) ;o)

rj
Old 02-10-2005, 07:39 PM
ms. tonya

What's your favorite cake & icing?
RESPONSE: Sanders Chocolate Bumpy Cake

Old 02-10-2005, 09:12 PM
Nancy Young

wrote

I like frosting on cakes, all kinds, I just think people over do it. The
prepared cakes at local bakeries, local store, megamart, and restaurants
are way
over board. I normally have this pile of excess frosting on my plate.

I know exactly what the problem is here ... some people don't understand
that the cake is there to hold up the frosting ... you eat the cake part
first
to get it out of the way and then you eat the frosting.

nancy

Old 02-10-2005, 09:12 PM
Wayne Boatwright

On Sun 02 Oct 2005 01:12:01p, Nancy Young wrote in rec.food.cooking:

wrote

I like frosting on cakes, all kinds, I just think people over do it. The
prepared cakes at local bakeries, local store, megamart, and restaurants
are way
over board. I normally have this pile of excess frosting on my plate.

I know exactly what the problem is here ... some people don't understand
that the cake is there to hold up the frosting ... you eat the cake part
first
to get it out of the way and then you eat the frosting.

nancy

I am so glad you defined the problem, Nancy. I can see cakes clearly now,
and know exactly what to do with them. :-)

One could simplify and just eat the frosting out of the bowl!

--
Wayne Boatwright **

http://tinypic.com/dzijap.jpg

Popie-In-The-Bowl