JMF

Default San Francisco places to go for chocolate?

I'll be in the Bay Area in August and wanted to check out some places. I am
aware that a few of you live in the area, and like a dummy I didn't write
down ideas that you've already mentioned in posts in tha past -- so does
some kind soul have a little list of ideas for me?

Thanks,

John

Reg

JMF wrote:

> I'll be in the Bay Area in August and wanted to check out some places. I am
> aware that a few of you live in the area, and like a dummy I didn't write
> down ideas that you've already mentioned in posts in tha past -- so does
> some kind soul have a little list of ideas for me?

Take the Scharffenberger tour

http://www.scharffenberger.com/factory/onsite_tour.html

JMF wrote:
> I'll be in the Bay Area in August and wanted to check out some places. I am
> aware that a few of you live in the area, and like a dummy I didn't write
> down ideas that you've already mentioned in posts in tha past -- so does
> some kind soul have a little list of ideas for me?
>
> Thanks,
>
> John

Of course there is Ghirardelli Square to visit, and I know this isn't
1st hand but lets try throwing this in the double-boiler and see if it
melts:

<http://www.google.com/search?q=chocolate+san+francisco&sourceid=firefox& start=0&start=0&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8>

Local Visitor Guides:
<http://gocalifornia.about.com/cs/sanfrancisco/a/sfarticles.htm>

Also there are a few local web sites you can plunder like the
newspapers and TV stations;

www.sfgate.com
www.kqed.com
www.kron.com
www.sjmercury.com (San Jose)

Go forth and satiate.

hth,
TBerk
Eddie Grove

T > writes:

> JMF wrote:
>> I'll be in the Bay Area in August and wanted to check out some places. I am
>> aware that a few of you live in the area, and like a dummy I didn't write
>> down ideas that you've already mentioned in posts in tha past -- so does
>> some kind soul have a little list of ideas for me?
>> Thanks,
>> John

Anyway, there are a bunch of manufacturers here. Some were mentoined
on some show on TV maybe on the travel channel. From my iffy memory:
Guittard in SF, Donnely's in Santa Cruz, and Scharffenberger in
Berkeley.

Stretching a bit, is Cocolat still in business? Not really a
chocolatier. After they got burnt out, they continued selling
truffles to Macy's for a while. That might be in Oakland.

Then there's Ghiradelli and Joseph Schmidt, probably in SF,
but they never particularly impressed me.

I have never been to any of them, but I have been meaning to check
them out. I keep thinking I want to organize a Bay Area chocolate
tour some weekend but never get around to it.

Eddie
Eddie Grove

T > writes:

> JMF wrote:
>> I'll be in the Bay Area in August and wanted to check out some places. I am
>> aware that a few of you live in the area, and like a dummy I didn't write
>> down ideas that you've already mentioned in posts in tha past -- so does
>> some kind soul have a little list of ideas for me?
>> Thanks,
>> John

Anyway, there are a bunch of manufacturers here. Some were mentoined
on some show on TV maybe on the travel channel. From my iffy memory:
Guittard in SF, Donnely's in Santa Cruz, and Scharffenberger in
Berkeley.

Stretching a bit, is Cocolat still in business? Not really a
chocolatier. After they got burnt out, they continued selling
truffles to Macy's for a while. That might be in Oakland.

Then there's Ghiradelli and Joseph Schmidt, probably in SF,
but they never particularly impressed me.

I have never been to any of them, but I have been meaning to check
them out. I keep thinking I want to organize a Bay Area chocolate
tour some weekend but never get around to it.

Eddie

Eddie Grove

T > writes:

> JMF wrote:
>> I'll be in the Bay Area in August and wanted to check out some places. I am
>> aware that a few of you live in the area, and like a dummy I didn't write
>> down ideas that you've already mentioned in posts in tha past -- so does
>> some kind soul have a little list of ideas for me?
>> Thanks,
>> John

Anyway, there are a bunch of manufacturers here. Some were mentoined
on some show on TV maybe on the travel channel. From my iffy memory:
Guittard in SF, Donnely's in Santa Cruz, and Scharffenberger in
Berkeley.

Stretching a bit, is Cocolat still in business? Not really a
chocolatier. After they got burnt out, they continued selling
truffles to Macy's for a while. That might be in Oakland.

Then there's Ghiradelli and Joseph Schmidt, probably in SF,
but they never particularly impressed me.

I have never been to any of them, but I have been meaning to check
them out. I keep thinking I want to organize a Bay Area chocolate
tour some weekend but never get around to it.

Eddie
Mark Thorson

Eddie Grove wrote:

> From my iffy memory: