Posted to rec.food.chocolate
JMF JMF is offline

Default Thin chocolate glaze?

I have now seen something twice, and I'm wondering if anybody can tell me
how to do it (e.g. a recipe):

A friend bought a chocolate cake from a world-champion (literally, he
claims) pastry chef, which was basically ganache, the whole cake. The cake
had a chocolate glaze, all around (top and sides) -- like, say, a Sacher
Torte. Except that this was a very, very thin glaze, and certainly not
hardened at all.

Then I saw this kind of thin glaze again on another occasion.

I make a chocolate cake with a ganache layer on top, and it occurred to me
that that this kind of thin, not-hardened glaze would be a nice thing to do
for it. But the only glaze recipes I know about give you a rather thicker
glaze, whereas this one seems to be millimeter thin, almost liquid -- and
yet somehow manages to be "set" at the same time.

Can somebody shed some light on this?

John

Posted to rec.food.chocolate

"JMF" > writes:

> I have now seen something twice, and I'm wondering if anybody can tell me
> how to do it (e.g. a recipe):
>
> A friend bought a chocolate cake from a world-champion (literally, he
> claims) pastry chef, which was basically ganache, the whole cake. The cake
> had a chocolate glaze, all around (top and sides) -- like, say, a Sacher
> Torte. Except that this was a very, very thin glaze, and certainly not
> hardened at all.
>
> Then I saw this kind of thin glaze again on another occasion.
>
> I make a chocolate cake with a ganache layer on top, and it occurred to me
> that that this kind of thin, not-hardened glaze would be a nice thing to do
> for it. But the only glaze recipes I know about give you a rather thicker
> glaze, whereas this one seems to be millimeter thin, almost liquid -- and
> yet somehow manages to be "set" at the same time.
>
> Can somebody shed some light on this?
>
> John

I haven't tried this, so I am just guessing, but I plan to make this cake
soon. I saw something nearly identical on Tyler's Ultimate show, and found
it by googling on the glaze.

http://www.thatsmyhome.com/chocolate...cloud-cake.htm

Check the chocolate glaze in that recipe.

Eddie
Posted to rec.food.chocolate
JMF JMF is offline

"Eddie Grove" > wrote in message
> "JMF" > writes:
>
>> I have now seen something twice, and I'm wondering if anybody can tell me
>> how to do it (e.g. a recipe):
>>
>> A friend bought a chocolate cake from a world-champion (literally, he
>> claims) pastry chef, which was basically ganache, the whole cake. The
>> cake
>> had a chocolate glaze, all around (top and sides) -- like, say, a Sacher
>> Torte. Except that this was a very, very thin glaze, and certainly not
>> hardened at all.
>>
>> Then I saw this kind of thin glaze again on another occasion.
>>
>> I make a chocolate cake with a ganache layer on top, and it occurred to
>> me
>> that that this kind of thin, not-hardened glaze would be a nice thing to
>> do
>> for it. But the only glaze recipes I know about give you a rather thicker
>> glaze, whereas this one seems to be millimeter thin, almost liquid -- and
>> yet somehow manages to be "set" at the same time.
>>
>> Can somebody shed some light on this?
>>
>> John

> I haven't tried this, so I am just guessing, but I plan to make this cake
> soon. I saw something nearly identical on Tyler's Ultimate show, and
> found
> it by googling on the glaze.
>
> http://www.thatsmyhome.com/chocolate...cloud-cake.htm
>
> Check the chocolate glaze in that recipe.
>

> Eddie

Eddie,

First of all, the cake looks delicious. That's a really intriguing touch
putting the honey in the glaze. I guess the only way to find out whether
that glaze has the properties I'm wondering about is to make it! Thanks for
the reply,

John

Posted to rec.food.chocolate

"JMF" > writes:

> "Eddie Grove" > wrote in message
> > "JMF" > writes:
> >
> >> I have now seen something twice, and I'm wondering if anybody can tell me
> >> how to do it (e.g. a recipe):
> >>
> >> A friend bought a chocolate cake from a world-champion (literally, he
> >> claims) pastry chef, which was basically ganache, the whole cake. The
> >> cake
> >> had a chocolate glaze, all around (top and sides) -- like, say, a Sacher
> >> Torte. Except that this was a very, very thin glaze, and certainly not
> >> hardened at all.
> >>
> >> Then I saw this kind of thin glaze again on another occasion.
> >>
> >> I make a chocolate cake with a ganache layer on top, and it occurred to
> >> me
> >> that that this kind of thin, not-hardened glaze would be a nice thing to
> >> do
> >> for it. But the only glaze recipes I know about give you a rather thicker
> >> glaze, whereas this one seems to be millimeter thin, almost liquid -- and
> >> yet somehow manages to be "set" at the same time.
> >>
> >> Can somebody shed some light on this?
> >>
> >> John

> > I haven't tried this, so I am just guessing, but I plan to make this cake
> > soon. I saw something nearly identical on Tyler's Ultimate show, and
> > found
> > it by googling on the glaze.
> >
> > http://www.thatsmyhome.com/chocolate...cloud-cake.htm
> >
> > Check the chocolate glaze in that recipe.
> >

> > Eddie

> Eddie,
>
> First of all, the cake looks delicious. That's a really intriguing touch
> putting the honey in the glaze. I guess the only way to find out whether
> that glaze has the properties I'm wondering about is to make it! Thanks for
> the reply,

I tried it once with the water bath, and it was a disaster. The water got
into the cake. I recommend that if you try that recipe you ignore the bath.
It was ruined, so I didn't bother with the glaze.

I've made similar cakes, and the big difference for me here is mixing some
sugar into the egg whites. It really seemed to make a difference in the
consistency of the batter.

I find most cakes too sweet, so I reduce the sugar, and that messes things up.
Still experimenting ...

Eddie
Posted to rec.food.chocolate
JMF JMF is offline

"Janet" > wrote in message

> "JMF" > wrote in message
>>I have now seen something twice, and I'm wondering if anybody can tell me
>>how to do it (e.g. a recipe):
>>
>> A friend bought a chocolate cake from a world-champion (literally, he
>> claims) pastry chef, which was basically ganache, the whole cake. The
>> cake had a chocolate glaze, all around (top and sides) -- like, say, a
>> Sacher Torte. Except that this was a very, very thin glaze, and certainly
>> not hardened at all.
>>
>> Then I saw this kind of thin glaze again on another occasion.
>>
>> I make a chocolate cake with a ganache layer on top, and it occurred to
>> me that that this kind of thin, not-hardened glaze would be a nice thing
>> to do for it. But the only glaze recipes I know about give you a rather
>> thicker glaze, whereas this one seems to be millimeter thin, almost
>> liquid -- and yet somehow manages to be "set" at the same time.
>>
>> Can somebody shed some light on this?
>>
>> John

> Have you tried either the Chocolate Cream or Chocolate Butter glaze in The
> Cake Bible by Rose Levy Beranbaum?

No, I haven't - don't have that book. Can this glaze get "very thin"?

John

Posted to rec.food.chocolate
JMF JMF is offline

>>> Have you tried either the Chocolate Cream or Chocolate Butter glaze in
>>> The Cake Bible by Rose Levy Beranbaum?

>> No, I haven't - don't have that book. Can this glaze get "very thin"?
>>
>> John
>>

> Yes. And it is soft yet set at the same time.
>
> Whether it is quite as thin as you wish when made following the basic
> instructions, I am not sure. But you could probably achieve an even
> thinner glaze by using it while it is a bit warmer/a bit less set than she
> recommends.
>
> BTW, The Cake Bible is the single best book on the subject that I have
> ever seen. You may well be able to get it out of the library. Some of the
> recipes are available online, also.

Great - thanks very much for this, Janet. I'll order the book!

John

Posted to rec.food.chocolate

On Mar 16, 11:03 am, Eddie Grove > wrote:
> "JMF" > writes:
> > I have now seen something twice, and I'm wondering if anybody can tell me
> > how to do it (e.g. a recipe):

> > A friend bought a chocolate cake from a world-champion (literally, he
> > claims) pastry chef, which was basically ganache, the whole cake. The cake
> > had a chocolate glaze, all around (top and sides) -- like, say, a Sacher
> > Torte. Except that this was a very, very thin glaze, and certainly not
> > hardened at all.

> > Then I saw this kind of thin glaze again on another occasion.

> > I make a chocolate cake with a ganache layer on top, and it occurred to me
> > that that this kind of thin, not-hardened glaze would be a nice thing to do
> > for it. But the only glaze recipes I know about give you a rather thicker
> > glaze, whereas this one seems to be millimeter thin, almost liquid -- and
> > yet somehow manages to be "set" at the same time.

> > Can somebody shed some light on this?

> > John

> I haven't tried this, so I am just guessing, but I plan to make this cake
> soon. I saw something nearly identical on Tyler's Ultimate show, and found
> it by googling on the glaze.
>
> http://www.thatsmyhome.com/chocolate...ate-cloud-cake...
>
> Check the chocolate glaze in that recipe.
>
> Eddie- Hide quoted text -

I tried that and I made a bit of a mess of it. I hope someone else had
better luck.

Adam
Do something good today. Feed starving children with just a click! -
World Food Fund
http://worldfoodfund.blogspot.com/

Posted to rec.food.chocolate

> wrote in message
> On Mar 16, 11:03 am, Eddie Grove > wrote:
>> "JMF" > writes:
>> > I have now seen something twice, and I'm wondering if anybody can tell
>> > me
>> > how to do it (e.g. a recipe):

>> > A friend bought a chocolate cake from a world-champion (literally, he
>> > claims) pastry chef, which was basically ganache, the whole cake. The
>> > cake
>> > had a chocolate glaze, all around (top and sides) -- like, say, a
>> > Sacher
>> > Torte. Except that this was a very, very thin glaze, and certainly not
>> > hardened at all.

>> > Then I saw this kind of thin glaze again on another occasion.

>> > I make a chocolate cake with a ganache layer on top, and it occurred to
>> > me
>> > that that this kind of thin, not-hardened glaze would be a nice thing
>> > to do
>> > for it. But the only glaze recipes I know about give you a rather
>> > thicker
>> > glaze, whereas this one seems to be millimeter thin, almost liquid --
>> > and
>> > yet somehow manages to be "set" at the same time.

>> > Can somebody shed some light on this?

>> > John

>> I haven't tried this, so I am just guessing, but I plan to make this cake
>> soon. I saw something nearly identical on Tyler's Ultimate show, and
>> found
>> it by googling on the glaze.
>>
>> http://www.thatsmyhome.com/chocolate...ate-cloud-cake...
>>
>> Check the chocolate glaze in that recipe.
>>
>> Eddie- Hide quoted text -

> I tried that and I made a bit of a mess of it. I hope someone else had
> better luck.
>

> Adam
> Do something good today. Feed starving children with just a click! -
> World Food Fund
> http://worldfoodfund.blogspot.com/

Try this
http://www.frenchpastrychef.com/past...ay.shtml#Photo