Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default REC - Chocolate Oatmeal Cake with Coconut Glaze

I might make half of one of these tonight. I cleverly used my crappy
9x13" cake pan as a litter box for the kitten we got a month ago. Just
the right size for her, didn't cost us anything, and it seemed like a
good idea for preventing me from baking cakes and brownies. Good ol'
9-inch square is still alive and well, though.

This is a very dense, moist, slightly chewy cake. It arrived in our
family via one of my mom's co-workers. Good stuff, Maynard!

* Exported from MasterCook *

Chocolate Oatmeal Cake

Recipe By :Carol Peterson
Serving Size : 18 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

1 1/2 cup boiling water
1 cup rolled oats -- quick cooking
1 cup butter
2 cup sugar
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon soda
1/2 cup cocoa
----Coconut Glaze----
2 tablespoons butter
2 cup milk
2 cups coconut flakes
1 cup powdered sugar

CAKE:
1. Pour water over oatmeal and let stand.
2. Mix shortening, sugar, eggs, and vanilla. Combine with oatmeal.
3. Add flour, salt, soda, and cocoa. Blend well.
4. Bake at 350F for 35 minutes in a greased and floured 9"x13" pan.
Cool.
5. Frost with Coconut Glaze.

COCONUT GLAZE:
1. Mix ingredients in saucepan.
2. Boil until thickened, about 5 minutes.
3. Pour on cooled cake.

Source:
"Sharon Marthaler"

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Fri 30 Jun 2006 07:39:24p, Damsel in dis Dress meant to say...

> I might make half of one of these tonight. I cleverly used my crappy
> 9x13" cake pan as a litter box for the kitten we got a month ago. Just
> the right size for her, didn't cost us anything, and it seemed like a
> good idea for preventing me from baking cakes and brownies. Good ol'
> 9-inch square is still alive and well, though.
>
> This is a very dense, moist, slightly chewy cake. It arrived in our
> family via one of my mom's co-workers. Good stuff, Maynard!
>

> * Exported from MasterCook *
>
> Chocolate Oatmeal Cake
>
> Recipe By :Carol Peterson
> Categories :

> 1 1/2 cup boiling water
> 1 cup rolled oats -- quick cooking
> 1 cup butter
> 2 cup sugar
> 2 large eggs
> 1 teaspoon vanilla
> 1 cup flour
> 1/2 teaspoon salt
> 1 teaspoon soda
> 1/2 cup cocoa
> ----Coconut Glaze----
> 2 tablespoons butter
> 2 cup milk
> 2 cups coconut flakes
> 1 cup powdered sugar
>
> CAKE:
> 1. Pour water over oatmeal and let stand.
> 2. Mix shortening, sugar, eggs, and vanilla. Combine with oatmeal.
> 3. Add flour, salt, soda, and cocoa. Blend well.
> 4. Bake at 350F for 35 minutes in a greased and floured 9"x13" pan.
> Cool.
> 5. Frost with Coconut Glaze.
>
> COCONUT GLAZE:
> 1. Mix ingredients in saucepan.
> 2. Boil until thickened, about 5 minutes.
> 3. Pour on cooled cake.
>
> Source:
> "Sharon Marthaler"

Oh, Carol, this sounds delicious! A must try for me and, hopefully, soon.
I'm due for a little cheat from WW.

--
Wayne Boatwright @¿@¬
_____________________
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Damsel in dis Dress" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> I might make half of one of these tonight. I cleverly used my crappy
> 9x13" cake pan as a litter box for the kitten we got a month ago. Just
> the right size for her, didn't cost us anything, and it seemed like a
> good idea for preventing me from baking cakes and brownies. Good ol'
> 9-inch square is still alive and well, though.

Did you make it? The ingredients sound great.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

rox formerly rmg wrote:
> "Damsel in dis Dress" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> > I might make half of one of these tonight. I cleverly used my crappy
> > 9x13" cake pan as a litter box for the kitten we got a month ago. Just
> > the right size for her, didn't cost us anything, and it seemed like a
> > good idea for preventing me from baking cakes and brownies. Good ol'
> > 9-inch square is still alive and well, though.

> Did you make it? The ingredients sound great.

Nope. It was just too hot. I'm thinking of baking this and the
streusel cake in rapid succession (two different temperatures) later,
though. Still not sure. I don't handle hot weather very well.

Carol

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Tue 04 Jul 2006 12:45:32p, Damsel in dis Dress meant to say...

> The glaze didn't thcken as it should have. So it was sort of a sauce.
> You could accomplish a similar result by mixing sweetened condensed
> milk with coconut. I found it to be gackingly sweet, and will stick
> with just the cake from now on. The cake itself is amazing!

I made this over the weekend. The glaze pretty much soaked into the cake and
didn't end up saucy...just a very moist cake. Sweet, yes, but I expected
that. :-)

We loved the cake. I didn't tell David it had coconut in it...what does he
know?

Over the years he has polished off a chocolate cake with beets and a
chocolate cake with sauerkraut. I'd probably be dead if he had really known.
:-)

--
Wayne Boatwright @¿@¬
_____________________

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4 Jul 2006 22:57:12 +0200, Wayne Boatwright
<wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote:

>Oh pshaw, on Tue 04 Jul 2006 12:45:32p, Damsel in dis Dress meant to say...
>
>> The glaze didn't thcken as it should have. So it was sort of a sauce.
>> You could accomplish a similar result by mixing sweetened condensed
>> milk with coconut. I found it to be gackingly sweet, and will stick
>> with just the cake from now on. The cake itself is amazing!

>I made this over the weekend. The glaze pretty much soaked into the cake and
>didn't end up saucy...just a very moist cake. Sweet, yes, but I expected
>that. :-)

I had some again today, and glazed cake tastes better than just cake
with glaze on it. It's a matter of timing and maturing, I guess.

>We loved the cake. I didn't tell David it had coconut in it...what does he
>know?

How the heck did he miss the coconut???

>Over the years he has polished off a chocolate cake with beets and a
>chocolate cake with sauerkraut. I'd probably be dead if he had really known.
>:-)

I'd like to try the sauerkraut one, myself. Sounds good!

Carol
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Tue 04 Jul 2006 05:33:01p, Damsel in dis Dress meant to
say...

> On 4 Jul 2006 22:57:12 +0200, Wayne Boatwright
> <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Oh pshaw, on Tue 04 Jul 2006 12:45:32p, Damsel in dis Dress meant to
>>say...
>>
>>> The glaze didn't thcken as it should have. So it was sort of a sauce.
>>> You could accomplish a similar result by mixing sweetened condensed
>>> milk with coconut. I found it to be gackingly sweet, and will stick
>>> with just the cake from now on. The cake itself is amazing!

>>I made this over the weekend. The glaze pretty much soaked into the
>>cake and didn't end up saucy...just a very moist cake. Sweet, yes, but
>>I expected that. :-)

> I had some again today, and glazed cake tastes better than just cake
> with glaze on it. It's a matter of timing and maturing, I guess.
>
>>We loved the cake. I didn't tell David it had coconut in it...what does
>>he know?

> How the heck did he miss the coconut???

He has never even tasted coconut. He simply didn't know what he was
eating. :-)

>>Over the years he has polished off a chocolate cake with beets and a
>>chocolate cake with sauerkraut. I'd probably be dead if he had really
>>known.
>>:-)

> I'd like to try the sauerkraut one, myself. Sounds good!

Here ya go...

From "Maide Heatter's Book of Great American Desserts"

Chocolate Sauerkraut Cake

3/4 cup drained sauerkraut, firmly packed
2-1/4 cups sifted all purpose flour
1/4 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (preferable Dutch process)
5-1/3 oz. butter (10-2/3 Tb.)
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
1-1/2 cups sugar
3 eggs, "large"
1 cup cold water or strong coffee, cooled

Chop sauerkraut by hand or in a food processor.

Sift dry ingredients together.

Cream butter, then beat in vanilla and sugar, then eggs. Add dry
alternately with the water or coffee. Stir in sauerkraut.

Put into 2 - 9" cake pans, buttered, lined with waxed paper or parchment
paper, and floured. Bake about 30 minutes at 350 until cake barely springs
back in center when touched. Let stand briefly, then invert onto cooling
racks.

Frosting:

1 lb. milk chocolate
1 cup sour cream

Melt chocolate in double boiler over rather low heat, then stir in sour
cream. Use immediately to frost cake.

--
Wayne Boatwright @¿@¬
_____________________
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default REC - Chocolate Sauerkraut Cake was: REC - Chocolate Oatmeal Cake with Coconut Glaze

On 5 Jul 2006 03:10:56 +0200, Wayne Boatwright
<wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote:

>From "Maide Heatter's Book of Great American Desserts"
>
>Chocolate Sauerkraut Cake
>
>3/4 cup drained sauerkraut, firmly packed
>2-1/4 cups sifted all purpose flour
>1/4 tsp. salt
>1 tsp. baking soda
>1 tsp. baking powder
>1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (preferable Dutch process)
>5-1/3 oz. butter (10-2/3 Tb.)
>1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
>1-1/2 cups sugar
>3 eggs, "large"
>1 cup cold water or strong coffee, cooled
>
>Chop sauerkraut by hand or in a food processor.
>
>Sift dry ingredients together.
>
>Cream butter, then beat in vanilla and sugar, then eggs. Add dry
>alternately with the water or coffee. Stir in sauerkraut.
>
>Put into 2 - 9" cake pans, buttered, lined with waxed paper or parchment
>paper, and floured. Bake about 30 minutes at 350 until cake barely springs
>back in center when touched. Let stand briefly, then invert onto cooling
>racks.
>
>Frosting:
>
>1 lb. milk chocolate
>1 cup sour cream
>
>Melt chocolate in double boiler over rather low heat, then stir in sour
>cream. Use immediately to frost cake.

To hell with the cake ... I want some of that frosting! Actually,
they both sound amazing. Thanks so much, Wayne.

Carol
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Tue 04 Jul 2006 06:40:19p, Damsel in dis Dress meant to say...

> On 5 Jul 2006 03:10:56 +0200, Wayne Boatwright
> <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>From "Maide Heatter's Book of Great American Desserts"
>>
>>Chocolate Sauerkraut Cake

> To hell with the cake ... I want some of that frosting! Actually,
> they both sound amazing. Thanks so much, Wayne.

LOL! You're very welcome. They're both pretty good.

--
Wayne Boatwright @¿@¬