Posted to rec.food.drink.beer
Randal

Default SA Cranberry Lambic: He LIKES it! He LIKES it!

Early last week I picked up the SA Winter Classics or Holiday Sampler
or whatever it's called.

My mom taught all us boys that if we didn't like something, we had to
keep trying it to see if we ever would. So as I harkened back to all
those years I had to wince and try some sweet potato each Thanksgiving
I pulled the Cranberry Lambic first from the sampler pack and cracked
it open. It looked pretty much the same as it always had, sitting in
that Duvel glass.

Aroma is of Ocean-spray cranapple and sweetness, with that lingering
brett-type character ever so slight in the background. Well, I was
prepared to take my medicine this year. The initial sip and no wince!
No fruit punch *** Aunt Jemima muddled mess! There was a slight
tartness from the cranberry juice, the maple flavor blended quite well
with the malt and didn't stick out. I don't think they did but I would
almost swear that this is a different base beer this year. Oh, and I
also love sweet potatoes these days.

Anyway, it's probably just me - but I actually drank both bottles. I
still don't think I would like an entire six pack of this stuff but it
certainly isn't a drain pour.

Now, as for the Holiday Porter which I thought was great last year
seems to have a distracting amount of diacetyl this year...

_Randal

Posted to rec.food.drink.beer
dgs

Randal wrote:

> Early last week I picked up the SA Winter Classics or Holiday Sampler
> or whatever it's called.
>
> [...]
> I pulled the Cranberry Lambic first from the sampler pack and cracked
> it open. It looked pretty much the same as it always had, sitting in
> that Duvel glass.
>
> Aroma is of Ocean-spray cranapple and sweetness, with that lingering
> brett-type character ever so slight in the background. Well, I was
> prepared to take my medicine this year. The initial sip and no wince!

Betcha it doesn't hold a very weak candle to Cantillon's Spuyten Devil,
aged on whole cranberries. Or Unibroue's Ephemere Cranberry, FTM.

And I'm not bagging on SA beers in general; the Utopias is pretty spiffy
stuff, as long as someone else is paying. Last time I had it, someone
else was. Thankew Jeebus.
--
dgs
Posted to rec.food.drink.beer
Mark Cleary

I picked up the 12 pack of Winter classics and indeed the SA Cranberry is a
good beer. Normally I hate fruit beers and avoid the comercial gimmicks that
seem to come up but this is truely a decent beer. The Winter Lager is good
as always and this is my favorite SA's beer.

I am getting ready to try the SNCA I bought a case here in Illinois and it
was pretty expensive $8 a 6 the most I ever pay for beer under normal
conditions. What is the price others are seeing.

--
Mark Cleary
Hollenbeck Jazz Guitars the Finest
"Randal" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Early last week I picked up the SA Winter Classics or Holiday Sampler
> or whatever it's called.
>
> My mom taught all us boys that if we didn't like something, we had to
> keep trying it to see if we ever would. So as I harkened back to all
> those years I had to wince and try some sweet potato each Thanksgiving
> I pulled the Cranberry Lambic first from the sampler pack and cracked
> it open. It looked pretty much the same as it always had, sitting in
> that Duvel glass.
>
> Aroma is of Ocean-spray cranapple and sweetness, with that lingering
> brett-type character ever so slight in the background. Well, I was
> prepared to take my medicine this year. The initial sip and no wince!
> No fruit punch *** Aunt Jemima muddled mess! There was a slight
> tartness from the cranberry juice, the maple flavor blended quite well
> with the malt and didn't stick out. I don't think they did but I would
> almost swear that this is a different base beer this year. Oh, and I
> also love sweet potatoes these days.
>
> Anyway, it's probably just me - but I actually drank both bottles. I
> still don't think I would like an entire six pack of this stuff but it
> certainly isn't a drain pour.
>
> Now, as for the Holiday Porter which I thought was great last year
> seems to have a distracting amount of diacetyl this year...
>
> _Randal

Posted to rec.food.drink.beer
Joel

Mark Cleary > wrote:
>I am getting ready to try the SNCA I bought a case here in Illinois and it
>was pretty expensive $8 a 6 the most I ever pay for beer under normal
>conditions. What is the price others are seeing.

$40 per case here. A couple years ago it was $32/case.

We're on case #2.
--
Joel Plutchak "Eat everything. Have fun." - Julia Child.
plutchak at [...]
Posted to rec.food.drink.beer
Lew Bryson

"Joel" > wrote in message
> Mark Cleary > wrote:
>>I am getting ready to try the SNCA I bought a case here in Illinois and it
>>was pretty expensive $8 a 6 the most I ever pay for beer under normal
>>conditions. What is the price others are seeing.

> $40 per case here. A couple years ago it was $32/case.

$40 a case? Jeebus. We're still in the $32 range.
I better get a case for Da Wyf afore I leave for Bavaria.

--
Lew Bryson

"GOOD or SHITE?" -- Michael Jackson, "Thriller", 1982
www.lewbryson.com

Posted to rec.food.drink.beer
Scott Kaczorowski

"Lew Bryson" > wrote in
m:

> "Joel" > wrote in message
>> Mark Cleary > wrote:
>>>I am getting ready to try the SNCA I bought a case here in
>>>Illinois and it was pretty expensive $8 a 6 the most I
>>>ever pay for beer under normal conditions. What is the
>>>price others are seeing.

>> $40 per case here. A couple years ago it was $32/case.

> $40 a case? Jeebus.

Do you mean Jesus ****ing Christ in Colors? If not, provide
clarification, please. I mean, you know, unless you will
shrivel up and be relegated to the, what? third ring?

> We're still in the $32 range.
> I better get a case for Da Wyf afore I leave for Bavaria.

Errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr...

This beer has gone from "fruit beers suck" to "Jim sucks for
calling it a 'lambic'" to...buying by the case?

I...

Dang.

Scott Kaczorowski
Long Beach, CA
Posted to rec.food.drink.beer
Bill Becker

"Lew Bryson" > wrote in message
m...
> "Joel" > wrote in message
>> Mark Cleary > wrote:
>>>I am getting ready to try the SNCA I bought a case here in Illinois and
>>>it
>>>was pretty expensive $8 a 6 the most I ever pay for beer under normal
>>>conditions. What is the price others are seeing.

>> $40 per case here. A couple years ago it was $32/case.

> $40 a case? Jeebus. We're still in the $32 range.
> I better get a case for Da Wyf afore I leave for Bavaria.

~US$32 a case here as well but more importantly....IT'S BACK IN CASPER!
Sorry about the shouting.(not shouting as in buying a round)

Posted to rec.food.drink.beer
Lew Bryson

"Scott Kaczorowski" > wrote in message
> "Lew Bryson" > wrote in
>>>
>>> $40 per case here. A couple years ago it was $32/case.

>> $40 a case? Jeebus.

> Do you mean Jesus ****ing Christ in Colors? If not, provide
> clarification, please. I mean, you know, unless you will
> shrivel up and be relegated to the, what? third ring?

Not really sure what I mean. I've seen Binkley say it. What do I mean?

>> We're still in the $32 range.
>> I better get a case for Da Wyf afore I leave for Bavaria.

> Errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr...
>
> This beer has gone from "fruit beers suck" to "Jim sucks for
> calling it a 'lambic'" to...buying by the case?

Whoa, look upstream: we're talking about SNCA! Didn't change the subject
line. If that's a netiquette breach, well, sorry.

--
Lew Bryson

"As for talking shit in this NG, Lew, you're the undisputed king, and
that's no SHITE." -- Bob Skilnik, 1/31/02

www.lewbryson.com

Posted to rec.food.drink.beer
Steve Jackson

"Lew Bryson" > wrote in message
m...

> I better get a case for Da Wyf afore I leave for Bavaria.

When? Where? I'm off to Munich Thursday.

-Steve

Posted to rec.food.drink.beer
Lew Bryson

"Steve Jackson" > wrote in message
> "Lew Bryson" > wrote in message
> m...
>
>> I better get a case for Da Wyf afore I leave for Bavaria.

> When? Where? I'm off to Munich Thursday.

Munich, I get in Sunday morning. Press trip with the Bavarian Tourism
Ministry. E-mail me, tell me where you'll be Sunday and Monday evening, eh?

--
Lew Bryson

"As for talking shit in this NG, Lew, you're the undisputed king, and
that's no SHITE." -- Bob Skilnik, 1/31/02

www.lewbryson.com

Posted to rec.food.drink.beer
jazzkid

9 bucks a six in maine,
no case breaks in this ****ing state either
36$ a case...at least jersey gives deals on cases....
are there many states that give price cuts on cases?

Posted to rec.food.drink.beer
Randal

>> $40 a case? Jeebus.

>Do you mean Jesus ****ing Christ in Colors? If not, provide
>clarification, please. I mean, you know, unless you will
>shrivel up and be relegated to the, what? third ring?

[wikipedia]

Jebus

According to Matt Groening, the Simpsons writers have an ongoing
competition to write a line that: "most represents Homer at his
singularly most stupid". Most likely the current champion is Homer's
faux term for Jesus, first mentioned in the episode "Missionary:
Impossible". It's possibly a variant of "Jebus" which is believed to
date from at least the 1970s as a response to the Jesus Freaks. Jeebus
appeared on the Frank Zappa album "them or us" in 1979 on the song
"heavenly pocket book. Matt Groening, a well known Zappa fan borrowed
it for the episode.

The earliest use was by jazz performer Duke Ellington, in a throwback
to his Catholic school days. He used it instead of Jesus so that the
nuns couldn't beat him. He used it instead of Jesus for the rest of his
life, which is how Zappa probably found it.

In another animated show, Family Guy, Jebus appears as a typo on page
375 in The Bible.

Historically, in the Old Testament of the Bible, there actually was a
people called the Jebusites, which was an old name for Jerusalem.

Posted to rec.food.drink.beer
sleurB kciN

Lew Bryson > wrote:
> "Steve Jackson" > wrote in message
>> "Lew Bryson" > wrote in message
>> m...
>>
>>> I better get a case for Da Wyf afore I leave for Bavaria.

>> When? Where? I'm off to Munich Thursday.

Ich bin verbluefft. *Nichts* mir gesagt?!?

> Munich, I get in Sunday morning. Press trip with the Bavarian Tourism
> Ministry. E-mail me, tell me where you'll be Sunday and Monday evening, eh?

Hure. Schlampe. I'll be keeping an eye on youse.
Posted to rec.food.drink.beer
Lew Bryson

"sleurB kciN" > wrote in message
> Lew Bryson > wrote:
>>> When? Where? I'm off to Munich Thursday.

> Ich bin verbluefft. *Nichts* mir gesagt?!?

Dude, HOW could I gesagt anything when I didn't even know you were there?
I've been dropped from the loop. I gotta go open my wrists.

>> Munich, I get in Sunday morning. Press trip with the Bavarian Tourism
>> Ministry. E-mail me, tell me where you'll be Sunday and Monday evening,
>> eh?

> Hure. Schlampe. I'll be keeping an eye on youse.

I'll just bet.

--
Lew Bryson

Their clothes are weird, their music sucks and they drink
malternatives. And now you tell me they probably don't think Sierra
Nevada is cool? This is what the passage of years does to you: It
makes everyone around you more stupid. -- Michael Stewart 6/24/02

www.lewbryson.com

Posted to rec.food.drink.beer
sleurB kciN

Lew Bryson > wrote:

>> Ich bin verbluefft. *Nichts* mir gesagt?!?

Er...the above was directed at the Deutsch-speaking
Jacksoncommasteve...

> Dude, HOW could I gesagt anything when I didn't even know you were there?
> I've been dropped from the loop. I gotta go open my wrists.

Well now, let's not be hasty. Wait 'til I take some
Hop Wallop and SNCA off your hands here next week.

>>> Munich, I get in Sunday morning. Press trip with the Bavarian Tourism
>>> Ministry. E-mail me, tell me where you'll be Sunday and Monday evening,
>>> eh?

>> Hure. Schlampe. I'll be keeping an eye on youse.

> I'll just bet.

Hey, I can hook you up with a couple of brewers I've met
and drunk with at Andechs!

Posted to rec.food.drink.beer
Bill Becker

I finished about half of one bottle. Yuck.

ups.com...