Default Beer stores in Austin

I'm leaving for Austin, TX on Wed. to do some beer drinking while my
wife meets with people at SXSW. I have a pretty good idea of the better
beer bars/ brewpubs from my visit to Austin last year but I'm looking
for recommendations for retail stores (near the downtown area) that
carry a good selection of local (texas/Southern/anything I cannot find
in Norcal) beer.

I'm planning on spending a good amount of time at the gingerman and the
B-side lounge at the Bitter End but if there are any other
recommendations of good drinking establishmens (or good eating
establishments for that matter) I would appreciate those as well.

mike

Frank Mancuso

> I'm leaving for Austin, TX on Wed. to do some beer drinking while my
> wife meets with people at SXSW. I have a pretty good idea of the better
> beer bars/ brewpubs from my visit to Austin last year but I'm looking
> for recommendations for retail stores (near the downtown area) that
> carry a good selection of local (texas/Southern/anything I cannot find
> in Norcal) beer.
>
> I'm planning on spending a good amount of time at the gingerman and the
> B-side lounge at the Bitter End but if there are any other
> recommendations of good drinking establishmens (or good eating
> establishments for that matter) I would appreciate those as well.
>
> mike

You are in luck.
Whole Foods just opened their biggest store ever just a couple weeks ago
on Lamar @ 6th, and they have quite the beer extravaganza, with 5
different eating places in it, and you can pretty much get any beer
along with food.

Central Market-one of the best beer selections I've ever seen, although
it is 3-4 miles (north or south, there's 2, but well worth the visit)

Wiggy's-a funky liquor store on 6th(a few blks. w. of Lamar)

I would also reccomend checking out Waterloo Records, as they will have
live music Thur-Sat, with lots of free Saint Arnold beer, although it
will be crowded.
Bar rec's- GMan(free music, Thu-Sat), Bitter End(Dogfish Head party),
Lovejoys(cool little brewpub on Neches, just N. of 6th, also with music
this week), Opal Divine's(6th@ Rio Grande).
While I am a paid shill for Saint Arnold, also check out the other
locals-Live Oak, Real Ale, and Independence(the newest kid on the block).
Frank in Austin
(Ask any of the bar staff if I'm there-if so, I'll buy you a cold Saint
Arnold!)
P.S-If you would like a list of all the daytime parties with free beer &
BBQ, e-mail me)
Joel

>I'm leaving for Austin, TX on Wed. to do some beer drinking while my
>wife meets with people at SXSW. I have a pretty good idea of the better
>beer bars/ brewpubs from my visit to Austin last year but I'm looking
>for recommendations for retail stores (near the downtown area) that
>carry a good selection of local (texas/Southern/anything I cannot find
>in Norcal) beer.

I'm not familiar with retail outlets near downtown, but
during my trips there for at least the past ~5 years the
grocery stores have carried a decent selection of beer, from
the region and notables from other regions, e.g., Celis and
New Belgium. (We stay on the far north side, and buy beer
at Albertson's and Whole Foods.)

>I'm planning on spending a good amount of time at the gingerman and the
>B-side lounge at the Bitter End but if there are any other
>recommendations of good drinking establishmens (or good eating
>establishments for that matter) I would appreciate those as well.

If you don't mind somewhat upscale, Fonda San Miguel rocks
for foofy Mexican-style (not Tex-Mex or border Mex) food.
They have a web site if you want to get an idea about the place
and their menu.
--
Joel Plutchak "People who drink wine with barbecue deserve to be
plutchak@[...] jeered at and socially ostracized." - Mike Stewart
J. Alstrom

Check this page ...

BeerAdvocate.com BeerFly City Guide Austin
http://beeradvocate.com/beerfly/city/30/

Cheers!!
--
Jason Alstrom
--
> wrote in message
oups.com...
> I'm leaving for Austin, TX on Wed. to do some beer drinking while my
> wife meets with people at SXSW. I have a pretty good idea of the better
> beer bars/ brewpubs from my visit to Austin last year but I'm looking
> for recommendations for retail stores (near the downtown area) that
> carry a good selection of local (texas/Southern/anything I cannot find
> in Norcal) beer.
>
> I'm planning on spending a good amount of time at the gingerman and the
> B-side lounge at the Bitter End but if there are any other
> recommendations of good drinking establishmens (or good eating
> establishments for that matter) I would appreciate those as well.
>
> mike

Thanks for all the recomendations, Austin and SXSW kicked ass as usual
although I'm far to old to spend 5 days acting like I am back in
college (albeit drinking better beer).

I spent 2 good afternoons at the gingerman and ws able to try:

Dogfishhead 90 min. IPA- I'd had it before but it has been a while FG
as usual.

St. Arnold's spring Bock- FG as well much better than Shiner Bock
(although I don't mind Shiner Bock and I drank more than my fair share
of it while out at shows each night)

Live Oak Winter IPA- Very good as well.

Great Divide Barley Wine- God Damn good, definately one of the better
barley wines I've had (and I've had quite a few) very balanced and
drinkable.

Liberation Ale which I think was brewed by Live Oak- Good but after the
Great Divide it didn't stand out too much.

Also had a chance to hit the Bitter End once for drinks and once for
dinner had a very good Wee Heavy, An excellent dark and fruity Rye,a
Good ESB and the very herbal Equinox which I enjoyed but doubt I coud
drink very often. Unfortunately they were out of their Barley Wine.

Finally I swung by Lovejoy's for an hour or so of bad glam metal bands
a good but not great barley wine and an IPA that was very average and
had the same strange off flavor that plauged many of my attempts at
homebrewing.

I was also able to find the Trader Joe's and pick up some St. Arnold's
Elissa IPA (very good)and some dogfish head 90 min. (can't find it in
my neck of the woods and unfortunately I'm down to my final bottle)

Other than that I spent a lot of time at shows and parties and drank a
lot of Shiner,some Real Ale Brewing pale ale and a little Lone Star.

Mike

Beer in Austin [email protected] Beer 5 25-02-2006 03:48 PM
Buffalo Beer Stores Phillip Schlueter Beer 12 26-03-2005 06:15 PM
Beer stores in Chicago Grafix8888 Beer 6 02-10-2004 07:12 PM
Austin TX. Beer Mailing List Capt. Spastic Beer 0 07-04-2004 10:16 PM
Beer in Austin Grafix8888 Beer 2 07-04-2004 08:56 PM