John W. Pierce

Default Beer in Texas

We are soon moving from San Diego, CA to Seguin, TX. Are there any decent
beers that are readily available in that area? By 'decent' I mean something
of the quality of Sierra Nevada or Anchor Steam.

-- John Pierce,

Joel

John W. Pierce > wrote:
>We are soon moving from San Diego, CA to Seguin, TX. Are there any decent
>beers that are readily available in that area? By 'decent' I mean something
>of the quality of Sierra Nevada or Anchor Steam.

You should be able to find beers from The Real Ale Brewing Company
in Blanco. Solid beers.
--
Joel Plutchak "I am myself, and if I have to hit my head against a
plutchak at [...] brick wall to remain true to myself, I will do it.€¯
Joel

John W. Pierce > wrote:
>We are soon moving from San Diego, CA to Seguin, TX. Are there any decent
>beers that are readily available in that area? By 'decent' I mean something
>of the quality of Sierra Nevada or Anchor Steam.

You should be able to find beers from The Real Ale Brewing Company
in Blanco. Solid beers.
--
Joel Plutchak "I am myself, and if I have to hit my head against a
plutchak at [...] brick wall to remain true to myself, I will do it.€¯
- Marlon Brando
Randal Chapman

"John W. Pierce" > wrote in message >. ..
> We are soon moving from San Diego, CA to Seguin, TX. Are there any decent
> beers that are readily available in that area? By 'decent' I mean something
> of the quality of Sierra Nevada or Anchor Steam.
>
> -- John Pierce,

There is Faust brewing and I think some others in San Antonio. The
best beer selections in Texas are at Whole Foods and Central Market.
If you've got a Central Market around then relax, as you will find an
*excellent* selection - around 600 different kinds if memory serves.

_Randal

Randal Chapman

"John W. Pierce" > wrote in message >. ..
> We are soon moving from San Diego, CA to Seguin, TX. Are there any decent
> beers that are readily available in that area? By 'decent' I mean something
> of the quality of Sierra Nevada or Anchor Steam.
>
> -- John Pierce,

There is Faust brewing and I think some others in San Antonio. The
best beer selections in Texas are at Whole Foods and Central Market.
If you've got a Central Market around then relax, as you will find an
*excellent* selection - around 600 different kinds if memory serves.

_Randal
Randal Chapman

"John W. Pierce" > wrote in message >. ..
> We are soon moving from San Diego, CA to Seguin, TX. Are there any decent
> beers that are readily available in that area? By 'decent' I mean something
> of the quality of Sierra Nevada or Anchor Steam.
>
> -- John Pierce,

There is Faust brewing and I think some others in San Antonio. The
best beer selections in Texas are at Whole Foods and Central Market.
If you've got a Central Market around then relax, as you will find an
*excellent* selection - around 600 different kinds if memory serves.

_Randal
John W. Pierce

Thank you very much, gentlemen. That information helps quite a bit.

-- John Pierce,

John W. Pierce

Thank you very much, gentlemen. That information helps quite a bit.

-- John Pierce,

The Low-Carb Bartender

Are there any decent
> beers that are readily available in that area? By 'decent' I mean
> something
> of the quality of Sierra Nevada or Anchor Steam.

NO. They stop the shipment of all good beers at the state border.

The Low-Carb Bartender

Are there any decent
> beers that are readily available in that area? By 'decent' I mean
> something
> of the quality of Sierra Nevada or Anchor Steam.

NO. They stop the shipment of all good beers at the state border.

Steve Moore

The Low-Carb Bartender wrote:
> Are there any decent
>
>>beers that are readily available in that area? By 'decent' I mean
>>something
>>of the quality of Sierra Nevada or Anchor Steam.

Check out the beer section here. It's a Houston store, but most of the
beers can be found at other outlets in the larger cities.

http://www.specsonline.com/

Cheers,

Steve
Steve Moore

The Low-Carb Bartender wrote:
> Are there any decent
>
>>beers that are readily available in that area? By 'decent' I mean
>>something
>>of the quality of Sierra Nevada or Anchor Steam.

Check out the beer section here. It's a Houston store, but most of the
beers can be found at other outlets in the larger cities.

http://www.specsonline.com/

Cheers,

Steve

John W. Pierce

That's excellent, thank you very much. I'm retiring to the Seguin area, so
even if it was necessary to run to Houston once a month or so it wouldn't be
a major hardship. Prices aren't too unreasonable, either, even by CA
standards; about the same for Anchor products, a little higher for Sierra
and some of the ciders and the imported beers.

-- jwp

"Steve Moore" > wrote in message
> The Low-Carb Bartender wrote:
> > Are there any decent
> >
> >>beers that are readily available in that area? By 'decent' I mean
> >>something
> >>of the quality of Sierra Nevada or Anchor Steam.

> Check out the beer section here. It's a Houston store, but most of the
> beers can be found at other outlets in the larger cities.
>
> http://www.specsonline.com/
>
> Cheers,
>
> Steve

Joel

John W. Pierce > wrote:
>That's excellent, thank you very much. I'm retiring to the Seguin area, so
>even if it was necessary to run to Houston once a month or so it wouldn't be
>a major hardship.

Austin should do, and (IIRC; I'm merely a Texan-in-law[1]) is
closer. Plus I like Austin better. ;-)

>Prices aren't too unreasonable, either, even by CA standards;

Yeah, I've noticed beer prices in Texas are less than here in
Illinois, and prices aren't exceptionally high here.

[1] Which I've learned is even worse than being a damnyankee.
--
Joel Plutchak "Eat everything. Have fun." - Julia Child.
plutchak at [...]
Steve Moore

John W. Pierce wrote:
> That's excellent, thank you very much. I'm retiring to the Seguin area, so
> even if it was necessary to run to Houston once a month or so it wouldn't be
> a major hardship. Prices aren't too unreasonable, either, even by CA
> standards; about the same for Anchor products, a little higher for Sierra
> and some of the ciders and the imported beers.

Try some of the local stuff, too. I'm partial to these guys.

www.saintarnold.com
www.liveoakbrewing.com

Prost,

Steve
Steve Moore

John W. Pierce wrote:
> That's excellent, thank you very much. I'm retiring to the Seguin area, so
> even if it was necessary to run to Houston once a month or so it wouldn't be
> a major hardship. Prices aren't too unreasonable, either, even by CA
> standards; about the same for Anchor products, a little higher for Sierra
> and some of the ciders and the imported beers.

Try some of the local stuff, too. I'm partial to these guys.

www.saintarnold.com
www.liveoakbrewing.com

Prost,

Steve
Steve Moore

John W. Pierce wrote:

> That's excellent, thank you very much. I'm retiring to the Seguin area, so
> even if it was necessary to run to Houston once a month or so it wouldn't be

San Antonio is only a half hour from Seguin. I'd try the HEB Central
Market there.

Slante,

Steve

Steve Moore

John W. Pierce wrote:

> That's excellent, thank you very much. I'm retiring to the Seguin area, so
> even if it was necessary to run to Houston once a month or so it wouldn't be

San Antonio is only a half hour from Seguin. I'd try the HEB Central
Market there.

Slante,

Steve
Joel

Steve Moore > wrote:
>John W. Pierce wrote:
>
>> That's excellent, thank you very much. I'm retiring to the Seguin area, so
>> even if it was necessary to run to Houston once a month or so it wouldn't be

>San Antonio is only a half hour from Seguin. I'd try the HEB Central
>Market there.

Has San Antonio gotten better as a beer town? It's been a
few years since I've been back there, but I have had a much
more difficult time finding good beer there compared to
Austin, or even DFW.
--
Joel Plutchak "Eat everything. Have fun." - Julia Child.
plutchak at [...]
Joel

Steve Moore > wrote:
>John W. Pierce wrote:
>
>> That's excellent, thank you very much. I'm retiring to the Seguin area, so
>> even if it was necessary to run to Houston once a month or so it wouldn't be

>San Antonio is only a half hour from Seguin. I'd try the HEB Central
>Market there.

Has San Antonio gotten better as a beer town? It's been a
few years since I've been back there, but I have had a much
more difficult time finding good beer there compared to
Austin, or even DFW.
--
Joel Plutchak "Eat everything. Have fun." - Julia Child.
plutchak at [...]
Steve Moore

Joel wrote:
> Has San Antonio gotten better as a beer town? It's been a
> few years since I've been back there, but I have had a much
> more difficult time finding good beer there compared to
> Austin, or even DFW.

The Foam Rangers did a pub crawl to San Antonio recently. The Blue Star
Brewpub and the Dodging Duck Brewpub in Boerne, which isn't too far
away, are both worth checking out. They also have a Flying Saucer, part
of the chain of 10 multitap bars throughout the South. You might have
visited the original in Fort Worth. There's also a homebrew shop/bar
with several good beers on tap, including some late availability Bigfoot
and the aforementioned HEB Central Market for take-home beer.

Prost,

Steve